Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Uhh i played mystic quest back on snes? Never really got into jrpgs but i have to imagine they are more complex than press 2 buttons, cus even though they are turn based rpgs even mystic quest required more thought than pressing the same 2 buttons in order on repeat.

Im going to take the advice of everyone else who says by 50-60 my class will feel complete and the tutorial will be over.
MMm no. Most (j)rpgs are ultimately about avoiding to have to spend resources as much as possible. Whethter mana, or other resources. So if you can smash shit with all auto attacks with your party thats all the better. Which weirdly translates pretty well for healers in ff14.
That said, yeah the skill gains are overly drawn out now a days. But considering you basically get SOMETHING every 5 levels at least, over 90 levels it works out pretty well. WOW- last time i played had even worse lulls in ability progression.

Most of the original classes will feel reasonably coherent post 50. That varies quite a bit for the post arr jobs. But as people have been trying to say- it's a story game first. Most of the rotations are generally simple. Dodging the nightmare mechanics, and coordinating cooldowns is where the skill comes in for the hard stufff.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Uhh i played mystic quest back on snes? Never really got into jrpgs but i have to imagine they are more complex than press 2 buttons, cus even though they are turn based rpgs even mystic quest required more thought than pressing the same 2 buttons in order on repeat.

Im going to take the advice of everyone else who says by 50-60 my class will feel complete and the tutorial will be over.

50-60 is extremely optimistic for most classes imo - some are more like 80+ and the tutorial msq story ends at 90 extreme trials - everything before this will be trivial unless you go out of your way to try to do sync’d content or high floor deep dungeons.

There’s a good game at the end though - and parts of the msq story are good (70-80 in particular).

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
MMm no. Most (j)rpgs are ultimately about avoiding to have to spend resources as much as possible. Whethter mana, or other resources. So if you can smash shit with all auto attacks with your party thats all the better. Which weirdly translates pretty well for healers in ff14.
That said, yeah the skill gains are overly drawn out now a days. But considering you basically get SOMETHING every 5 levels at least, over 90 levels it works out pretty well. WOW- last time i played had even worse lulls in ability progression.

Most of the original classes will feel reasonably coherent post 50. That varies quite a bit for the post arr jobs. But as people have been trying to say- it's a story game first. Most of the rotations are generally simple. Dodging the nightmare mechanics, and coordinating cooldowns is where the skill comes in for the hard stufff.
Umm yes, actually. What you are describing is called efficiency, which implies choice. You are given a bunch of options and based on that selection of options, you choose the one that is the most efficient/makes the most sense in the context of the fight, etc and so forth. That is depth, and that depth allows for choice. That's what this game lacks so far. There are zero fucking choices to be made when it comes to combat. I've got 2 skills. I press 1, then I can either press 1 again, or I can press 2 and by pressing 2 i do a little bit more dmg than had I just pressed 1, So I only ever press 1, then press 2, and then repeat. fuck I just learned that this game has an auto-attack. Doesn't actually matter, it turns on automatically by pressing either 1 or 2 so I haven't been missing out on any damage I would have otherwise been dealing, it turns out it's completely negligible in terms of impact, but hey its there.

For everyone who actually understands what the fuck I'm talking about which seems to be most people except for a few of you, thank you. This game is by far the longest and most boring tutorial ever which eventually will turn into a game, at lvl 50-80 depending on what class I choose. Gotcha. Not like there is shit else out there to play right now and I already paid 60 bucks so I'm going to play it, and hope that the combat ramps up in complexity soon enough to at least give me something to do while i'm staring at my hotbar waiting for this ungodly long GCD to refresh. should just be a 50 hour cutscene and then give me my skills so I can start playing the game, but whatever you want me to pretend to be engaged by pressing 1 and 2 over and over between cut scenes. Got it.

For the record, I do not give a single fuck about the story. Shut the fuck up about the story. I'm not denying it has a story or that the story is great or whatever (I mean so far, its pretty shitty but everything i've seen says the entire base game is just background info until you get into the later expansions and then the story gets good). At no point in time have I asked about the story. I'm asking about core gameplay. This game may very well have the greatest story of any Final Fantasy game or any RPG or shit it may very well be the greatest story ever told in any medium. Dont. Give. A. Shit. Someone earlier said this was the best Final Fantasy game ever made? So far, this is the worst game i have ever played, ever. Mystic Quest on super nintendo was 10x better game than this shit, in terms of actual game play. this game is literally pressing 2 buttons in order on repeat between cutscenes. fucking candy crush has a better core gameplay loop than this game. Story has nothing to do with game play. I will judge the story when it becomes interesting. I may even sing its fucking praises and write fan fic about how great it is. That still has fuckall to do with game play.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Maybe you should just buy a boost since you don't like the story and want more abilities. That will solve both problems for you immediately.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
So far, this is the worst game i have ever played, ever.
With all your current negativity about the game you will never enjoy FFXIV. Which, unsurprisingly, is totally your fault. It's not like the "extended trial" meme is there for a reason, because it goes to 60, where a lot of the classes come together. And it's all free, precisely because of people like you. If you are angry because the game is shit and you paid money for it: I'm sorry, but again: that's entirely on you.

Also, the game is a Final Fantasy game first and foremost, and "online" second. It says so on the box. Not our problem if you don't know what to expect from a Final Fantasy game. "But I should enjoy the game regardless" - No, that's like going to a dominatrix even when you are not into femdom. And then you whine on an online forum because you didn't enjoy getting pegged by her.

Cut your losses and go play New World, or Aion, or whatever the current WoW-killer is. FFXIV players are the first to admit that the game is not for everyone, because most of the people who play and like it had to take multiple attempts to "get into it" themselves.

• 1Like

Rali

Trakanon Raider
Umm yes, actually. What you are describing is called efficiency, which implies choice. You are given a bunch of options and based on that selection of options, you choose the one that is the most efficient/makes the most sense in the context of the fight, etc and so forth. That is depth, and that depth allows for choice. That's what this game lacks so far. There are zero fucking choices to be made when it comes to combat. I've got 2 skills. I press 1, then I can either press 1 again, or I can press 2 and by pressing 2 i do a little bit more dmg than had I just pressed 1, So I only ever press 1, then press 2, and then repeat. fuck I just learned that this game has an auto-attack. Doesn't actually matter, it turns on automatically by pressing either 1 or 2 so I haven't been missing out on any damage I would have otherwise been dealing, it turns out it's completely negligible in terms of impact, but hey its there.

For everyone who actually understands what the fuck I'm talking about which seems to be most people except for a few of you, thank you. This game is by far the longest and most boring tutorial ever which eventually will turn into a game, at lvl 50-80 depending on what class I choose. Gotcha. Not like there is shit else out there to play right now and I already paid 60 bucks so I'm going to play it, and hope that the combat ramps up in complexity soon enough to at least give me something to do while i'm staring at my hotbar waiting for this ungodly long GCD to refresh. should just be a 50 hour cutscene and then give me my skills so I can start playing the game, but whatever you want me to pretend to be engaged by pressing 1 and 2 over and over between cut scenes. Got it.

For the record, I do not give a single fuck about the story. Shut the fuck up about the story. I'm not denying it has a story or that the story is great or whatever (I mean so far, its pretty shitty but everything i've seen says the entire base game is just background info until you get into the later expansions and then the story gets good). At no point in time have I asked about the story. I'm asking about core gameplay. This game may very well have the greatest story of any Final Fantasy game or any RPG or shit it may very well be the greatest story ever told in any medium. Dont. Give. A. Shit. Someone earlier said this was the best Final Fantasy game ever made? So far, this is the worst game i have ever played, ever. Mystic Quest on super nintendo was 10x better game than this shit, in terms of actual game play. this game is literally pressing 2 buttons in order on repeat between cutscenes. fucking candy crush has a better core gameplay loop than this game. Story has nothing to do with game play. I will judge the story when it becomes interesting. I may even sing its fucking praises and write fan fic about how great it is. That still has fuckall to do with game play.

That's a lot of words to say you are looking for a WoW clone (FFXIV isn't it).

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

Here was Dragoon rotation at level 80. Bit more than two buttons

1644233491709.png

Here is my current rotation as Gunbreaker at 90

The moves above the main line are off GCD abilities you need to weave between your GCD. This does not include any defensive cooldowns or heals, or utility like interrupts taunts or stuns.

1644233634269.png

Here is my UI as a healer at 90: Yes I use every single one of those abilities.

1644234141513.png

You are doing the equivalent of playing classic wow at level 10 and complaining you have a limited skillset.

The complexity will come. That being said, this is not a raiding game. This is a story game. If you "Don't care about the story" then you might as well give up now because everything is locked behind 200-300 hours of it. ARR is lower quality, it's true, but it's important set up. If you don't want to put up with it - don't, and play something more suitable for someone with ADHD.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
If you’re actually interested in playing still, I’d just buy a level boost but really no guarantee you’ll like combat at max level either. Yes, the rotations get more complex, but the difficulty isn’t in doing the rotations, but keeping them going while mechanics are happening. There is not really going to be “choice” in combat even at high level. Your rotation is your rotation and that’s kinda that. Unless you’re doing some higher end stuff, your gearing is whatever the highest iLvl you can acquire is.

If you read back through this thread, we do rave quite a bit about the game, but I think you’ll notice that it’s never really the combat itself. Raids and trials are fun and cool, the settings and music, etc. are amazing but if depth of combat is what you’re looking for, I don’t think you’re going to find it here, even at max level. I personally still enjoy it; I absolutely love my DRG and it feels satisfying for me to play. The long GCD does allow for some very nice attack animations to play. What it lacks in depth, it makes up for on spectacle.

I will agree that as the game has gone along, the abilities have been strung out more and more among the levels, so there are classes that really do take a while to get going and I think it’s something they should try to address as that definitely will put off some players that otherwise would have enjoyed it. Josh Strife Hayes has had a few videos talking about this where it obviously should not take 100 hours for your game to get good.

I don’t know if you’ve looked into Lost Ark at all, but I believe it is coming out soon and many folks from here have praised its combat, so it could be more up your alley. It’s also free unless you want to splurge on a founders pack.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
For the record, I do not give a single fuck about the story. Shut the fuck up about the story.
Then you aren't going to like the game, period. As Chris tends to repeat, it is primarily a story-driven game, not a game of chasing gear, dungeon speedrunning, or doing DDR in raids - even though those aspects are there.

This is truly a game where the game is the journey, not the endgame. Heck, everyone said "so true" at that Captain Grim video where catboy states "Looks like I've finally hit the endgame" as he sits in his first piece of furniture in an empty room, in his brand new house.

Don't bother getting a boost - it's going to be a waste of money.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
You are doing the equivalent of playing classic wow at level 10 and complaining you have a limited skillset.
By level 10 in classic WoW I would already have my core skills and have an understanding on how that class is going to play. Things would change as I got higher level abilities of course, hell you don't get your talent capstones til like 40, but you'd have the core abilities down. For example by level 10 in WoW you have Charge, Rend, Hamstring, Thunderclap, heroic strike, and sunder armor. You'd have a rage cooldown (blood rage), a buff (Battle Shout), a racial or two on long cds, and you'd have defensive stance introducing the stance switching mechanic and taunt. Each of those skills did something, they had an impact on gameplay. There really isn't some "ideal" rotation at level 10. You use the abilities you need to use to impact the game world as the situation warrants.

By level 10 in FF14 I had, 2 abilities that actually did something, and by that I mean they don't actually do anything. the First one is auto-attack+50% damage, the second one, if used after the first, is auto-attack+150% dmg, otherwise it just does auto attack damage. and 2.5 seconds between each button press to weigh that "decision" of which button I was going to press next.

Also level 10 in classic WoW takes all of about 1 hour of gameplay. I'm approaching 20 hours and level 30 and i'm up to 5 real abilities that aren't situational with long cooldowns? 3 of which are just variations on "auto-attack+% dmg if used in a row", 1 ranged attack to pull, and 1 aoe.

So no, the apples to apples comparison is, it's equivalent to getting to level 30 in WoW and still only having those 5 skills I had at level 8 in WoW, after having leveled to 25 with only 2, heroic strike and hamstring. All I asked is how long did it take til I actually got some skills? And do the skills actually every feel like they do anything, have any impact on game play other than slight variations in how much health they remove? Hell a level 1 Rogue has more complexity in WoW than I have so far, even with only Sinister strike and Eviscerate. It's still only 2 skills, but I can choose how many times I stack Sinister strike before using eviscerate, and it impacts how much damage eviscerate deals. I can look at the mobs health and make a decision on when I use eviscerate, nevermind that I'm also managing a resource (energy, rage, mana) which in FF14 i'm not doing that yet either.

On the bright side, I am starting to pick up more abilities though I wouldn't call it a core kit yet, and I should be able to unlock the actual Warrior class now, hopefully that helps.
If you’re actually interested in playing still, I’d just buy a level boost but really no guarantee you’ll like combat at max level either. Yes, the rotations get more complex, but the difficulty isn’t in doing the rotations, but keeping them going while mechanics are happening. There is not really going to be “choice” in combat even at high level. Your rotation is your rotation and that’s kinda that. Unless you’re doing some higher end stuff, your gearing is whatever the highest iLvl you can acquire is.

If you read back through this thread, we do rave quite a bit about the game, but I think you’ll notice that it’s never really the combat itself. Raids and trials are fun and cool, the settings and music, etc. are amazing but if depth of combat is what you’re looking for, I don’t think you’re going to find it here, even at max level. I personally still enjoy it; I absolutely love my DRG and it feels satisfying for me to play. The long GCD does allow for some very nice attack animations to play. What it lacks in depth, it makes up for on spectacle.

I will agree that as the game has gone along, the abilities have been strung out more and more among the levels, so there are classes that really do take a while to get going and I think it’s something they should try to address as that definitely will put off some players that otherwise would have enjoyed it. Josh Strife Hayes has had a few videos talking about this where it obviously should not take 100 hours for your game to get good.

I don’t know if you’ve looked into Lost Ark at all, but I believe it is coming out soon and many folks from here have praised its combat, so it could be more up your alley. It’s also free unless you want to splurge on a founders pack.
Honestly I don't care about rotation complexity, when I said rotation before that's not exactly what I meant but was the most easy way to explain it in terms of MMOs. I hate games with massive ability bloat that require 15 hot bars and a full keyboard on the side of your mouse and shit, EQ2, I hear WoW went down this path later on, Early SWTOR before they revamped it, Vanguard. Fuck that noise. That's not what I meant.

My favorite MMO combat of all time is Neverwinter, where you only get 7 abilities at once, that you choose from a slightly larger pool. New World basically directly copied it even down to the default key bindings, except New World doesn't have dailies (Ultimates). 2nd runner up is probably Blade and Soul (limited ability bar that branched into combos) or Black Desert (limited abilities from keystroke combos). Hell EQ1 limited you to only 8 memorized spells out of a much larger collection, and swapping spells for different situations, sometimes rapidly, was part of that core gameplay experience. btw by level 10 in EQ you knew what your job was. You may have had weak ass versions of your abilities but you had them. Wee little enchanter still had Tash, Slow, mez. You knew what that class was going to do, as you leveled you just got more powerful versions of those spells.

Every game has a core gameplay loop. Doesn't matter MMO, RPG, FPS, RTS. fucking solitaire. all I wanted to know is how long it took before I got to see this game's actual gameplay? When does the game start? (Yes i fucking get it, the story starts at level 1!! it's a shit story so far but whatever, i'm talking about gameplay here) because i've seen pics and videos of people with multiple hotbars and end game fight videos and they were doing things more complex than pressing 2 buttons.

Imagine playing COD for 30 hours with only primary fire, move forward, and crouch. You had to unlock left, right, back, jump, secondary fire, cycle weapons, manual reload, and interact slowly over a very long quest chain that took 100 hours. That is this game so far.

Last edited:

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Then you aren't going to like the game, period. As Chris tends to repeat, it is primarily a story-driven game, not a game of chasing gear, dungeon speedrunning, or doing DDR in raids - even though those aspects are there.

This is truly a game where the game is the journey, not the endgame. Heck, everyone said "so true" at that Captain Grim video where catboy states "Looks like I've finally hit the endgame" as he sits in his first piece of furniture in an empty room, in his brand new house.

Don't bother getting a boost - it's going to be a waste of money.
Never once mentioned any of that shit, gear, speedrunning, ddr? yeah not once. absolutely nothing to do with what i'm talking about. You also seem to be conflating story and gameplay. Story is not gameplay, story does not supplement gameplay. Story is a movie. They did that already remember? Final Fantasy the Spirit Within? it wasn't that great of a movie.

All of you guys who can't differentiate between gameplay and story are basically selling this game is nothing but a walking simulator like death stranding or something? and yet still praising how amazing it is as a game?. and calling me out for wanting there to be actual gameplay in this game? Those walking sims aren't games, interactive stories, sure, but no real game play involved.

I dont know what a catboy or captain grim is, sorry.

Again thank you to all with reading comprehension who answered my actual questions, hopefully a few 10-20 levels into warrior i'll have enough abilities to know what a warrior does.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Never once mentioned any of that shit, gear, speedrunning, ddr? yeah not once. absolutely nothing to do with what i'm talking about. You also seem to be conflating story and gameplay. Story is not gameplay, story does not supplement gameplay. Story is a movie. They did that already remember? Final Fantasy the Spirit Within? it wasn't that great of a movie.

All of you guys who can't differentiate between gameplay and story are basically selling this game is nothing but a walking simulator like death stranding or something? and yet still praising how amazing it is as a game?. and calling me out for wanting there to be actual gameplay in this game? Those walking sims aren't games, interactive stories, sure, but no real game play involved.

I dont know what a catboy or captain grim is, sorry.

Again thank you to all with reading comprehension who answered my actual questions, hopefully a few 10-20 levels into warrior i'll have enough abilities to know what a warrior does.
If you only play the MSQ, the game is a walking simulator with an MMO dungeon every 2 levels and a solo dungeon or MMO raid every other 2 levels.

I had exactly the same hatred of it you do before I played Shadowbringers, I'm hardcore into the game now on my 3rd attempt at playing it.

Yes the MSQ gameplay is dogshit, but the dungeons and raids it unlocks keep getting better until it's some of the best stuff in MMOs by Stormblood.

What you need to do is mix the MSQ with levelling other classes and doing side content (eg Gold Saucer or Palace of the Dead). Because you are basically playing 8 years of story in a few months and it's too much.

The story itself is amazing at points, specifically the end of Heavensward, the end of Shadowbringers and most of Endwalker. But as you say, not gameplay.

• 1Like

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
By level 10 in classic WoW I would already have my core skills and have an understanding on how that class is going to play. Things would change as I got higher level abilities of course, hell you don't get your talent capstones til like 40, but you'd have the core abilities down. For example by level 10 in WoW you have Charge, Rend, Hamstring, Thunderclap, heroic strike, and sunder armor. You'd have a rage cooldown (blood rage), a buff (Battle Shout), a racial or two on long cds, and you'd have defensive stance introducing the stance switching mechanic and taunt. Each of those skills did something, they had an impact on gameplay. There really isn't some "ideal" rotation at level 10. You use the abilities you need to use to impact the game world as the situation warrants.

By level 10 in FF14 I had, 2 abilities that actually did something, and by that I mean they don't actually do anything. the First one is auto-attack+50% damage, the second one, if used after the first, is auto-attack+150% dmg, otherwise it just does auto attack damage. and 2.5 seconds between each button press to weigh that "decision" of which button I was going to press next.

Also level 10 in classic WoW takes all of about 1 hour of gameplay. I'm approaching 20 hours and level 30 and i'm up to 5 real abilities that aren't situational with long cooldowns? 3 of which are just variations on "auto-attack+% dmg if used in a row", 1 ranged attack to pull, and 1 aoe.

So no, the apples to apples comparison is, it's equivalent to getting to level 30 in WoW and still only having those 5 skills I had at level 8 in WoW, after having leveled to 25 with only 2, heroic strike and hamstring. All I asked is how long did it take til I actually got some skills? And do the skills actually every feel like they do anything, have any impact on game play other than slight variations in how much health they remove? Hell a level 1 Rogue has more complexity in WoW than I have so far, even with only Sinister strike and Eviscerate. It's still only 2 skills, but I can choose how many times I stack Sinister strike before using eviscerate, and it impacts how much damage eviscerate deals. I can look at the mobs health and make a decision on when I use eviscerate, nevermind that I'm also managing a resource (energy, rage, mana) which in FF14 i'm not doing that yet either.

On the bright side, I am starting to pick up more abilities though I wouldn't call it a core kit yet, and I should be able to unlock the actual Warrior class now, hopefully that helps.

Honestly I don't care about rotation complexity, when I said rotation before that's not exactly what I meant but was the most easy way to explain it in terms of MMOs. I hate games with massive ability bloat that require 15 hot bars and a full keyboard on the side of your mouse and shit, EQ2, I hear WoW went down this path later on, Early SWTOR before they revamped it, Vanguard. Fuck that noise. That's not what I meant.

My favorite MMO combat of all time is Neverwinter, where you only get 7 abilities at once, that you choose from a slightly larger pool. New World basically directly copied it even down to the default key bindings, except New World doesn't have dailies (Ultimates). 2nd runner up is probably Blade and Soul (limited ability bar that branched into combos) or Black Desert (limited abilities from keystroke combos). Hell EQ1 limited you to only 8 memorized spells out of a much larger collection, and swapping spells for different situations, sometimes rapidly, was part of that core gameplay experience. btw by level 10 in EQ you knew what your job was. You may have had weak ass versions of your abilities but you had them. Wee little enchanter still had Tash, Slow, mez. You knew what that class was going to do, as you leveled you just got more powerful versions of those spells.

Every game has a core gameplay loop. Doesn't matter MMO, RPG, FPS, RTS. fucking solitaire. all I wanted to know is how long it took before I got to see this game's actual gameplay? When does the game start? (Yes i fucking get it, the story starts at level 1!! it's a shit story so far but whatever, i'm talking about gameplay here) because i've seen pics and videos of people with multiple hotbars and end game fight videos and they were doing things more complex than pressing 2 buttons.

Imagine playing COD for 30 hours with only primary fire, move forward, and crouch. You had to unlock left, right, back, jump, secondary fire, cycle weapons, manual reload, and interact slowly over a very long quest chain that took 100 hours. That is this game so far.

You can look at your skill list and when you will get them anytime you like via the character submenu, then actions and traits.

If you are around level 30 like you say, you should have all these skills

1644241876906.png

plus these

1644241903523.png

You should also have sprint.

That's a mobility skill, a full 1-2-3 combo, an ability to guarantee crits on several hits, an aoe ability, a range ability, a tank stance, 3 defensive cooldowns, a stun, a taunt, an interrupt, and a knockback resistance/slows people that hit you.

When I said you were about level 10 in classic wow, I meant it - this is the equivalent part of the game you are in. The 20-30 hours to get here aren't a bug, or something to be endured - they are the core draw of the game. The weakest part of the core draw perhaps, but the story is why you are supposed to be here.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
You can look at your skill list and when you will get them anytime you like via the character submenu, then actions and traits.

If you are around level 30 like you say, you should have all these skills

View attachment 397149

plus these

View attachment 397150

You should also have sprint.

That's a mobility skill, a full 1-2-3 combo, an ability to guarantee crits on several hits, an aoe ability, a range ability, a tank stance, 3 defensive cooldowns, a stun, a taunt, an interrupt, and a knockback resistance/slows people that hit you.

When I said you were about level 10 in classic wow, I meant it - this is the equivalent part of the game you are in. The 20-30 hours to get here aren't a bug, or something to be endured - they are the core draw of the game. The weakest part of the core draw perhaps, but the story is why you are supposed to be here.
Not quite, 29 and a half. much cut scenes, many many cut scenes.

So again lets break it down. Not counting sprint or teleport or any non-combat shit just Like I dont count hearthstone as a skill in WoW.
Defiance. Provoke. Some long CD defenses like Rampart, Reprisal. I guess Thrill of battle? dont have it yet. These are group skills, mostly long CDs, not used in MSQ except the mini dungeons.

Actual Combat skills you use:
Heavy Swing (1) Level 1
Maim (2) Level 4
Overpower (aoe) Level 10
Tomahawk (range pull) Level 15
Storms path (just got this tonight, 3) Level 26

Long cool down buff, long cool down interrupt, long cool down stun. That's 8 skills by level 29, 3 of which you use in combat in rotation, 1 to pull, 1 for aoe, with 3 long CD situational skills.

Compare to level 10 warrior in WoW, with the same caveats. ignore defensive stance/battle stance, Bloodrage, and taunt as group skills. Ignore Racials as they are long cooldown situationals like you have in FF14. I should ignore tomahawk since WoW has "shoot bow" skill which is the same thing, but whatev

Charge, Heroic Strike, Rend, Hamstring, Thunderclap, Sunder Armor, battle shout.

I have 7 skills that I can and do use in combat in WoW after 1 hour of gameplay, vs 5 (8 if you count situational long cool down skills) in FF14 after 20 hours. After 1 hour in WoW I have a feel for what the warriors core combat loop is about, despite the fact that I will continue to gain class defining skills as i progress. After 20 hours in FF14, I have now added "3" to my rotation of 1, 2. I open with Tomahawk (like I open with Charge in WoW), and I use with Overpower if i'm fighting a ton of swarming mobs (kinda like Thunderclap).

You act like i've got dozens of abilities and am complaining that they all suck but 2 (now 3). That would imply i've perused my many options and made a choice. If that were the case the problem would be the class was poorly designed, but that's not the case. I have had a mostly empty hot bar with only 3 skills on it for 15 of the 20 hours of game time i've played. It is slowly starting to add a skill or 2 now that i'm approaching 30, but I still don't have what a lvl 10 warrior would have in WoW.

And it's not like this game was designed for minimal skill slots where part of the game is you have to decide what to slot in. At level 1 when you first load up the game, your default UI comes with 2 full hot bars on screen, and they are basically empty. 3 non-combat skills (sprint, teleport & recall) and 1 combat skill (heavy swing). for 24 hotbar spots.

You guys are acting like the choice is between lousy combat with a good story or good combat with a shitty story. They are not mutually exclusive. There is no reason you couldn't start the game with a small tool kit that you expanded on. Everything from 1-30 you could earn from 1-5, then you'd have some choices to make during combat while you slowly gained more class defining abilities. The story would not be impacted at all.

edit: I'm not directly comparing these 2 games. I'm comparing the input required by each game after X number hours and how those inputs enable me to interact with the game. the 1, 2, 3 combo of FF14, my main abilities, are equivalent to auto-attack in WoW, as far as what they actually do. If I were to compare them directly, WoW has stance swaps and resource management on top of 7 abilities which apply buff/debuff/status affects that do different things, while auto-attack whittles away the mobs health. FF14 has an interrupt and a stun each on a long cooldown, and 1, 2, 3 replaces auto-attack (although 3 does have a heal on it, the first real ability i've gained that gives me a glimmer of what a warrior does)

Last edited:

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

So again lets break it down. Not counting sprint or teleport or any non-combat shit just Like I dont count hearthstone as a skill in WoW.
Defiance. Provoke. Some long CD defenses like Rampart, Reprisal. I guess Thrill of battle? dont have it yet. These are group skills, mostly long CDs, not used in MSQ except the mini dungeons.

Heavy Swing (1) Level 1
Maim (2) Level 4
Overpower (aoe) Level 10

Long cool down buff, long cool down interrupt, long cool down stun. That's 8 skills by level 29, 3 of which you use in combat in rotation, 1 to pull, 1 for aoe, with 3 long CD situational skills.

Compare to level 10 warrior in WoW, with the same caveats. ignore defensive stance/battle stance, Bloodrage, and taunt as group skills. Ignore Racials as they are long cooldown situationals like you have in FF14. I should ignore tomahawk since WoW has "shoot bow" skill which is the same thing, but whatev

Charge, Heroic Strike, Rend, Hamstring, Thunderclap, Sunder Armor, battle shout.

I have 7 skills that I can and do use in combat in WoW after 1 hour of gameplay, vs 5 (8 if you count situational long cool down skills) in FF14 after 20 hours. After 1 hour in WoW I have a feel for what the warriors core combat loop is about, despite the fact that I will continue to gain class defining skills as i progress. After 20 hours in FF14, I have now added "3" to my rotation of 1, 2. I open with Tomahawk (like I open with Charge in WoW), and I use with Overpower if i'm fighting a ton of swarming mobs (kinda like Thunderclap).

You act like i've got dozens of abilities and am complaining that they all suck but 2 (now 3). That would imply i've perused my many options and made a choice. If that were the case the problem would be the class was poorly designed, but that's not the case. I have had a mostly empty hot bar with only 3 skills on it for 15 of the 20 hours of game time i've played. It is slowly starting to add a skill or 2 now that i'm approaching 30, but I still don't have what a lvl 10 warrior would have in WoW.

And it's not like this game was designed for minimal skill slots where part of the game is you have to decide what to slot in. At level 1 when you first load up the game, your default UI comes with 2 full hot bars on screen, and they are basically empty. 3 non-combat skills (sprint, teleport & recall) and 1 combat skill (heavy swing). for 24 hotbar spots.

You guys are acting like the choice is between lousy combat with a good story or good combat with a shitty story. They are not mutually exclusive. There is no reason you couldn't start the game with a small tool kit that you expanded on. Everything from 1-30 you could earn from 1-5, then you'd have some choices to make during combat while you slowly gained more class defining abilities. The story would not be impacted at all.

Sprint is an in combat skill and will be your best friend up to max level and in all the hardest content.

Warrior is a tank. Not a hybrid dps, not a dps, a tank, and only a tank, and tank is the only role you will ever do. Those tank cooldown skills ARE your identity as a class, and knowing when to use which one is where a lot of the skill of tanking comes from.

These defensives (along with some unique ones) along with Berserk (and later on Inner Rage) and when you hit 30 and unlock the Warrior class (giving you a new gauge and some abilities in the levels after that) are the warrior class identity.

for the MSQ, you don't NEED a rotation of skills, because as a warrior anything in the MSQ that isn't a duty is going to die in a single Berserk rotation and if it's a duty you will have story and dodging things to focus on and keep you interested.

You have to remember you are playing the equivalent of Classic wow. Back when FF14 2.0 started you used to have to cross-class to grab skills from multiple classes to give yourself a full kit. Each class is therefore somewhat lacking at low level because it used to rely on taking skills from other classes to flesh it out. Like people have said give it some time and the skills will come. They could fix this, and probably should, but it is what it is.

Getting to 50 is less than 5% of the game now so a big focus on those easy early levels may be a waste of resources. Personally I think it would be a good idea to not turn off people so early in the game but they literally had to shut the game down from being bought it was so popular so what do I know.

Cybsled

Side note, FF14 used to have more skills at lower levels, but over the past couple expansions (especially around Stormblood) they went back and did some serious ability pruning.

WoW has done the same - they'll go back and cull abilities, which used to leave you with skill gaps until they did the level squish.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Heavy Swing (1) Level 1
Maim (2) Level 4
Overpower (aoe) Level 10

edit: I'm not directly comparing these 2 games. I'm comparing the input required by each game after X number hours and how those inputs enable me to interact with the game. the 1, 2, 3 combo of FF14, my main abilities, are equivalent to auto-attack in WoW, as far as what they actually do. If I were to compare them directly, WoW has stance swaps and resource management on top of 7 abilities which apply buff/debuff/status affects that do different things, while auto-attack whittles away the mobs health. FF14 has an interrupt and a stun each on a long cooldown, and 1, 2, 3 replaces auto-attack (although 3 does have a heal on it, the first real ability i've gained that gives me a glimmer of what a warrior does)
The slow start to combat and lack of MSQ gameplay are totally valid critisisms.

So I'm levelling Warrior and I'm at lv56.

So the basic gameplay pattern is doing the 1-2-3 combo with the 3rd being the finisher that gives you +damage for 30 seconds, then doing the 1-2-3 combo with the 3rd being the finisher that does more damage and heals you.

Mechanic 1 is the button that makes everything crit that is off the global cooldown, so that slots in when it is up. I belive that later this does more stuff.

Mechanic 2 is the button that gives you +50 rage and getting +10 rage from some of your basic abilities, you spend rage on a damage skill that costs 50 rage.

Then you have your long tank cooldowns which you use when you pull everything, warrior gets these early. I think at 58 I get the short tank cooldown which makes your abilities heal you and later a bunch of other stuff.

Simple stuff.

To see what endgame is like let's compare to Gunbreaker which you can switch to for free at lv60. I have Gunbreaker at lv90 and it's probably the simplest tank class.

Gunbreaker also has a 1-2-3 combo with the 2nd one sheilding you and the 3rd one giving you a cartridge. It also has 3 abilities which are off the global cooldown but do damage/dots, so you weave those in. Make sure you used the damage buff cooldown first!

The cartridges can be spent in three ways, there's a 6 hit combo on a 30s cooldown with every other hit being off the global cooldown. Then there's a 2 hit combo that works the same way but isn't on any cooldown so it's spamable. Finally there's a massive finisher that is on a longer cooldown and costs 2 cartridges, there's a cooldown that gives you 3 cartridges to help you cast that asap.

So you are balancing building cartidges, prioritising which combo to go into and mashing all the buttons for that combo... while also managing your tank cooldowns.

That's the essence of all tanks, building a resource/combo then going into a DPS sequence right as things go off cooldown.

Gunbreakers have you manage spending cartridges and hitting lots of cooldowns.

Paladins have you manage spending mana, using the requiscast ranged healing/damage combo on cooldown, and doing the 1-2-3 combo to proc another combo which regens mana.

Dark Knights have you manage spending mana, maintaining a damage buff, building/spending rage, managing a few cooldowns and using your short tank cooldown at the right time to basically refund mana you can use for damage.

It sounds like you need to switch from Warrior to Red Mage at lv50, it has a lot going on right from lv50 and only gets more complicated. Samurai is lv50 too but I haven't played it much.

If you reget switching from Tank to DPS, you can always level 2 jobs or switch to Gunbreaker at lv60.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you reget switching from Tank to DPS, you can always level 2 jobs or switch to Gunbreaker at lv60.

Tenuously related but it's worth stating for newbies if they level Summoner it also levels Scholar (or vice versa). Fairly painless way to experience what a DPS Caster/Healer play like without having to level two jobs.