Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Does anyone need to farm light for the Heavensward Anima Relic Weapon?

Going for my second one and I'm not sure if I can kill AS1 60+ times again solo, it's much less runs if one of the later bosses is killed but a group is needed.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Does anyone need to farm light for the Heavensward Anima Relic Weapon?

Going for my second one and I'm not sure if I can kill AS1 60+ times again solo, it's much less runs if one of the later bosses is killed but a group is needed.

I have like 7 at that stage to farm, but I never do it unless I see at least a group of 4 in the PF

Chris

Potato del Grande
Spent too many hours farming this sword, I think it looks pretty nice:

Screenshot_20220206-190041_PSPlay.jpg

HW Anima Weapon Cronus (Penultimate step)
Elemental Armor of Fending (Body/Gloves)
Yanxian Circlet of Fending (Horned circlet from Doma Castle)
2B Pants and Shoes (The glamour version)

I have the same glamour for every tank but the armour is dyed the colour of the weapon (red for Paladin with Anima Lux, white for Gunbreaker with PotD weapon). Levelling up Warrior next.

No idea what to do with my healers, just wearing Edengate Dress with a giant white witch hat. The glowing elemental armour is less glowy and more ugly for non plate armour classes.

What have you guys got?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Finally cleared P4S, was kinda close yesterday so we decided to raid another day before reset, started pretty memey shit(first we wiped like 20mins on phase 1) then couldn't get past act4 for several pulls, got one pull to curtain call that ended in a wipe like 3 tethers in(people pulled their tethers are the same time or died to the first aoe not sure), then back to wiping on act4 then suddenly got to curtain call and killed it. Luckily the DPS check is very low so even though our DPS were performing way way under what they usually do, we still got the kill so that's nice. Now need to farm it for a few weeks so I can get the rest of the BiS stuff and I'll be done until 6.1/6.2.

First savage tier I actually clear, last tier I cleared was Final Coil of Bahamut, I did do E12S for a bit too but stopped short, so it's nice.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Got a couple relics but PAL easily the best-looking. Only screen I have is from behind hah:

View attachment 397058
Nice, so you did the same insane grind I did!

I have the same for Paladin but the armour is dyed metallic orange to match the weapons, then instead of the Elemental Helm I have Deepgold Helm of Fending dyed gold which is a circlet with wings on either side like a Valkyrie. Also 2B boots/pants for sexy legs and bigger ass lol.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Finally cleared P4S, was kinda close yesterday so we decided to raid another day before reset, started pretty memey shit(first we wiped like 20mins on phase 1) then couldn't get past act4 for several pulls, got one pull to curtain call that ended in a wipe like 3 tethers in(people pulled their tethers are the same time or died to the first aoe not sure), then back to wiping on act4 then suddenly got to curtain call and killed it. Luckily the DPS check is very low so even though our DPS were performing way way under what they usually do, we still got the kill so that's nice. Now need to farm it for a few weeks so I can get the rest of the BiS stuff and I'll be done until 6.1/6.2.

First savage tier I actually clear, last tier I cleared was Final Coil of Bahamut, I did do E12S for a bit too but stopped short, so it's nice.
If I was to get into Savage, what's the best tank in your opinion or are they kinda the same?

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Haven't logged into the game for a couple years so that was the only screenshot I could find. But yeah I did Eureka while it was still new and enjoyed it quite a bit so I didn't mind that part of the grind.

I enjoyed BA so much I ground out like 5 sets of relics just for an excuse to keep going. Made quite a bit of gil selling pets and the logograms, which sold for millions back then.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So they opened up and let you buy this game now. I guess on the 25th of jan but i was retreading swtor at the time. Doesnt look like free trials are open yet tho.

I went ahead and bought the game and finally got my SE account unfucked (i free trialed this game back in 14 and couldnt remember any of the details or how to add the game codes once i did) and found a server that let me make a character (most are still locked).

So im playing on primal? Data center. And ifrit or something server. Not sure what any of that means.

I have the same reservations i did back in 14 (gcd is too slow and the rate you gain skills also too slow) but im giving it an honest try cus there's nothing else to play right now. Lvl 25 and im up to 4 skills i actually use (couple more when grouped but not really). Game is pretty enough for a 10 year old game and i try to avoid the weabo shit as much as possible.

When should i expect to have enough of my core skills to know if i like the class im playing? I mean every once in a while ill get a new situational skill on a long cool down but so far 99% of combat is press 1button, wait 2.5s then press the other one (combo), repeat.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So they opened up and let you buy this game now. I guess on the 25th of jan but i was retreading swtor at the time. Doesnt look like free trials are open yet tho.

I went ahead and bought the game and finally got my SE account unfucked (i free trialed this game back in 14 and couldnt remember any of the details or how to add the game codes once i did) and found a server that let me make a character (most are still locked).

So im playing on primal? Data center. And ifrit or something server. Not sure what any of that means.

I have the same reservations i did back in 14 (gcd is too slow and the rate you gain skills also too slow) but im giving it an honest try cus there's nothing else to play right now. Lvl 25 and im up to 4 skills i actually use (couple more when grouped but not really). Game is pretty enough for a 10 year old game and i try to avoid the weabo shit as much as possible.

When should i expect to have enough of my core skills to know if i like the class im playing? I mean every once in a while ill get a new situational skill on a long cool down but so far 99% of combat is press 1button, wait 2.5s then press the other one (combo), repeat.
About lv50-60 probably. Don't worry about the GCD, you eventually get enough off GCD skills to use to fill the gaps.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
That is...disappointing to say the least. So basically treat the first 60 levels as a tutorial. Gotcha. At least i don't have to reroll. How hard is it to level a new job?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If I was to get into Savage, what's the best tank in your opinion or are they kinda the same?
Best how? If you mean in terms of performance, they're literally all good. Paladin was a bit sucky early on but last dmg boost is enough to make them more than fine.

In terms of how they play, that's pretty subjective, but I prefer WAR for its ease of play, but in my static there was already a WAR(and in fact there's one in most statics and pubs since it's very popular), so I started with DRK and switched to PLD when it got buffed. I don't like GNB but that's just me, it's a very solid class otherwise with very strong defensives and a different rotation than the other tanks, kinda.

Tanks even in savage are in high demand though, so literally pick the one you like the most and you'd have no trouble finding parties, however if you pick WAR and the party is no duplicate classes it can be harder to join one if you're not the first tank to join, since as I mentionned, WAR is very popular. It's a bit like playing Reaper, it's a solid class and no party would regret having one, but getting a spot as RPR can be hard since a lot of ppl play RPR.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
That is...disappointing to say the least. So basically treat the first 60 levels as a tutorial. Gotcha. At least i don't have to reroll. How hard is it to level a new job?

Nah the main questline from 1 to max level, the "MSQ", really is the game. You need to look at it as a single-player Final Fantasy game with an MMO attached to it. It's arguably the best Final Fantasy game in the whole franchise if you're into it.

There isn't really much of an endgame in the sense of EQ or WoW. There are hardcore raids and trials but Square does a good job making the community not feel compelled to do them, which undermines their value as prestige activities, but also serves to emphasize the MSQ as the game's "spine". Instead, the prestige max-level activities are more community/housing/cosmetics or mount collecting things. Still a great endgame if you get into an active FC but nothing like the world-first race or the gear race in traditional mmos.

Goonsquad Officer
yea the first...50 levels feel overly hand-holdy. and then the 'post' arr segment (the quests released between arr and heavensward) are kind of meandering on the story and a little fetch questy, but the story picks up a lot from there. Some classes do feel 'nicer' to play at lower level (i want to say ninja or dragoon. maybe black mage) but most don't feel complete till 50. and some still feel dry till 60 or 70. Heck gunbreaker doesn't feel on teh same footing as the other tanks till the mid 80's heh.

Leveling new jobs is 'easy' in that you get an xp bonus for any class, which is below your highest level class. so you play the game by running a class through MSQ. and do side content (really mostly roulletes or adventure squad) on side jobs. the MSQ gives you enough xp level 1-76ish to keep 2 jobs leveled up.so if you find yourself more than a level ahead of the MSQ it's not a bad idea to move in with a secondary class. I think the xp bonus is 50 percent. the newbie tutorials also reward a ring with bonus xp on it to level 30.

Eventually classes start opening up at higher level brackets. t he HW classes 'open' when you get into the city, but they start level 30. all the other classes they add start at the level start of the expansion prior, with no pre-req. so if you just 'get' to 60 you can open gunbreaker for example.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Nah the main questline from 1 to max level, the "MSQ", really is the game. You need to look at it as a single-player Final Fantasy game with an MMO attached to it. It's arguably the best Final Fantasy game in the whole franchise if you're into it.

There isn't really much of an endgame in the sense of EQ or WoW. There are hardcore raids and trials but Square does a good job making the community not feel compelled to do them, which undermines their value as prestige activities, but also serves to emphasize the MSQ as the game's "spine". Instead, the prestige max-level activities are more community/housing/cosmetics or mount collecting things. Still a great endgame if you get into an active FC but nothing like the world-first race or the gear race in traditional mmos.
Yeah im not overly concerned about end game i rarely dabble in those activities these days, im talking core gameplay loop.

Every mmo, hell every game really introduces the core gameplay loop early on in whats considered the tutorial. Heres your abilities heres how they interact with each other and the game world build yourself a rotation. Now every game handles it differently, sometimes you just get upgrades to those skills, sometimes you unlock a capstone ability later on, sometimes they sprinkle in higher level skills which change synergies or whatever and that ends up changing your rotation, but you have a feel for the basic combat loop before you leave the tutorial.

So far in this game i press heavy strike, wait 2.5s, then press maim. Then i repeat. And that's it. That is my core gameplay loop. 1, 2. 1, 2. 1, 2. Watch a cut scene. Repeat.

If there are adds I press overpower instead. I now 10 hours and 20 something levels later have a range attack so i press tomahawk to pull. If i am in a group i turn on the threat ability when i zone in a dungeon. But still my core gameplay loop is pressing those 2 abilities. How long before combat, which is 90% of what you are doing in an mmo, more varied than just pressing 2 buttons in order then watching a cutscene? That's my question which is what i meant by "the tutorial".

Take WOW for example. Imagine if your warrior only had hamsting and heroic strike until level 50. Sure you could level to 50 using only those abilities the game is easy enough, but the combat wouldnt be entertaining and you wouldnt know what a warrior "felt like" until you got the rest of your skills.

Mind you i started as a rogue in eq, the core combat loop was autoattack, press backstab every 6 seconds until kunark when they added "auto attack" off, hide(evade, aggro drop), "auto attack" on to the mix, along with a handful of extremely long cool down disciplines. But then again in eq the core gameplay loop was /g "shit talking" while waiting for respawns.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
How long before combat, which is 90% of what you are doing in an mmo, more varied than just pressing 2 buttons in order then watching a cutscene? That's my question which is what i meant by "the tutorial".

A long time. Maybe never. That's my point, if you're looking for the sort of game where you tweak and optimize rotations and prepare your character to handle challenges outside your "power band", it's just not that sort of game. It's more of a Final Fantasy story-driven experience than a stats/combat impact kinda game.

That sort of raider endgame definitely exists at the end, and it's great for what it is, but even then it's not acknowleged as the prestige tier of the game's achievements. I can sit in Limsa with my omega mount won through a savage fight less than 0.00001% of players complete but nobody will care. They care about the coolest houses and the newest event goodies.

If you enjoy Final Fantasy you shouldn't be discouraged by that. Again, this is easily the best FF game in the franchise even if you never bother with the MMO stuff. But if you don't care about it, it's probably just gonna frustrate you.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
Yeah im not overly concerned about end game i rarely dabble in those activities these days, im talking core gameplay loop.

Every mmo, hell every game really introduces the core gameplay loop early on in whats considered the tutorial. Heres your abilities heres how they interact with each other and the game world build yourself a rotation.
yea, i REALLY think that the game would be more popular if they front loaded the skills so that you had a core experience by level 20. i think they draw it out too much. they recently completely rebuilt monk and made it more entertaining, earlier. though i can't say it feels solid pre-50 as i didn't really play through the new style.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Most of the classes don't start to get their resource spender OCD abilities until around 60 of so which greatly increase your pool of OCD stuff, so prior to that the skill rotations can feel kind of slow. If you're in a simple tank n' spank fight that is - once they start making you actually move around during boss fights to avoid dying, you'll notice it a bit less and by the time you get all the OCD stuff, you'll have your hands full doing stuff if you're trying to be optimal

Chris

Potato del Grande
Very easy, unlock quests are extremely short and then you just farm some dungeons and do the duty roulettes or Palace of the Dead (endless dungeon you can unlock at lv18).

You never need to repeat quests so treat the Main Scenario Quest as the unlocking process, you may also get enough exp to level two jobs so watch out for being higher level than the zones you are being sent too.

Also there's another catchup mechanic which is that expansion jobs start at higher level, so if you get to lv50 you can switch to Samurai or Red Mage for free, lv60 you can get Gunbreaker and Dancer, lv70 you get Reaper and Sage. Those cover every role, so don't worry about choosing the wrong job.

It's literally one quest in the main cities to get these, also in the 1st expansion city at lv50 you unlock Dark Knight, Astrologian and Mechanist but those start at lv30.

If you can make it to the lv50 zones you'll be rewarded, Heavensward is excellent imo. The Coerthas zone around lv35 is the start of that story so you get a little preview of what it's like then.

Basically you need to play their old 5/10 JRPG (A Realm Reborn) to get to the 7/10 JRPG (Heavensward and Stormblood), then it becomes a 10/10 JRPG (Shadowbringers and Endwalker) with a 9/10 MMO at the end of it with a massive amount of content.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
A long time. Maybe never. That's my point, if you're looking for the sort of game where you tweak and optimize rotations and prepare your character to handle challenges outside your "power band", it's just not that sort of game. It's more of a Final Fantasy story-driven experience than a stats/combat impact kinda game.

That sort of raider endgame definitely exists at the end, and it's great for what it is, but even then it's not acknowleged as the prestige tier of the game's achievements. I can sit in Limsa with my omega mount won through a savage fight less than 0.00001% of players complete but nobody will care. They care about the coolest houses and the newest event goodies.

If you enjoy Final Fantasy you shouldn't be discouraged by that. Again, this is easily the best FF game in the franchise even if you never bother with the MMO stuff. But if you don't care about it, it's probably just gonna frustrate you.
Uhh i played mystic quest back on snes? Never really got into jrpgs but i have to imagine they are more complex than press 2 buttons, cus even though they are turn based rpgs even mystic quest required more thought than pressing the same 2 buttons in order on repeat.

Im going to take the advice of everyone else who says by 50-60 my class will feel complete and the tutorial will be over.