Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Its hard to think of just about any game that does a persistent storyline or setting without completely dropping the ball.
Seriously not trolling, why do you think this?
D&D forgotten realms setting across dozens of crpgs from baldurs gate and planescape on through multiple iterations of neverwinter including an mmo.
Elder scrolls series 5 single player games with multiple expansions each plus an mmo with like 7 expansions.
Mass effect series
Dragon age series
The old republic, starting with knights of the old republic 1 & 2 then an mmo with like 6+ expansions and dozens of smaller patch content updates.

I could go on and on. Other than WoW, what rpg/mmo doesnt tell a persistent story or maintain a persistent setting?

Mind you at level 20 in ff14 im talking to farmers trying to get some leaves so i can train my chocobo to fight with me (pet) when a dude drove up to me in a fucking batmobile and another dude flew in on a jet that went all gundam and turned into a decepticon so careful trying to pull examples where those games may have veered outside their "setting" for a bit of fan service or cross promotion.

Goonsquad Officer
Um you mentioned wow which i already stated not really a story game
See now i think you're actually trolling.

wow isn't a """"""STory game'""" but it couldn't even meet the same quality of storytelling as warcraft 3. it went downhill to START. then the lore guy forgot all his lore and turned demons into drenai. he made blood elves lasso the light. i quit after AQ so who knows what abortions happend since then. i don't care if it's a """StORy GAme""" they took lore and made it more and more retarded over time. like an allegory of the cave but in reverse.

and doesn't care about its lore, then eq jumped the shark after 5 expansions? Shit i tapped out of eq when they went cats on the moon and sold my account.

right. eq got retarded. that's my point. most IP cannot hold their storytelling together over multiple releases. they pawn writing off on worse and worse writers over time.

Mass effect tells a coherent story over its trilogy, andromeda is a spin off rather than sequel so no, thats not accurate.

fuck no it isn't. the collectors grand plan was to make a giant version of a human skeleton and call it a reaper? they made a contra 3 boss. kai lang? They forgot how to infininte bullets from MA 1 to 2. reapers are big squids? the starbaby lets you take over the reapers because you pick a color? they had everything they needed to make a good story but they kept shitting in their own mouth. that was before they even got to andromeda.

Then you mention a rts and then darksouls? I'm not sure I'm following what exactly you are comparing or trying to say.
do you not understand what a fucking story or lore is? you can have it in anything. the quality is what we're talking about. some are coherent and consistent. most aren't.

Other than WoW what rpg/mmos do you think don't follow a coherent storyline? I really cant think of any that dont do as good a job or better than ff14, so im not sure why you think its some unicorn here.
i gave you an assload of examples. marvel can't keep their quality up and they have more money than jesus. starwars degraded after (depending on your generousity) 2, 3, 6 or 7 movies. they can't keep startrek up. dr who is now magic school bus. the TV show heroes couldn't finish one season without going retarded. the walking dead had a whole season about a girl in a barn.

it's really easy for writers to write worse content over time. it's the natural state of writing. FF14 actually improves if you like the genre or type of game it is. if you hate everything you should just go back to eating feces and living in the dark or something. maybe hang out with mist.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
Dragon age series, etc
dragon age couldn't make ONE EXPANSION to their core game without rendering the story retarded.

I can't comment about the Kotors and tors. at one point i had faith in bioware but i'm skeptical that it's maintained it's footing.

you dont pay attention to things that happen in the game then bitch that you don't understand why things are in it. you fight whole dungeons full of robots in ARR alone and get weirded out by a car?

shit man.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
D&D forgotten realms setting across dozens of crpgs from baldurs gate and planescape on through multiple iterations of neverwinter including an mmo.
I'd like to point out that most of the "dozens" of D&D games, especially the silver box and gold box lines, were made from preexisting D&D modules and campaigns. Which had quite detailed source material, and competent writers.

Mass effect series
You seem to forget the rage in the community after the ME3 ending leaked, and the princesses at Bioware were so pissed they changed it into something else just to troll the audience? The five or so endings you have now aren't the original ending.

In the age of "Game of Thrones" and the new Star Wars Trilogy, with their "subverting expectations," people are getting really, really angry about long-running stories that can't stick their landing.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Your getting mad that rts games don't have a premium writing staff for their lore? FF14 isnt a fucking unicorn, Literally every rpg and mmo tells a story that is thus far, better than this one.

You cannot in the same breath mention kai lang or mass effect 3s ending and then defend ff14. The entire arr/post arr content is 20 kai langs bukkake'ing all over your character.

I listed half a dozen popular franchises/rpgs/settings off the top of my head and all you can dispute is warcraft, a game that wasn't even up for debate.

Last edited:

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Others than a few masterpieces like planescape torment and portal (and fight me haters but half-life should be on this short list as well), games aren’t generally going to be narrative works of art. I’m not sure what you are on about but it’s clear you seem motivated to dislike the game. What the game does deliver and especially in heavensward onward, is good storytelling, which is different from good ‘plot.’

So it’s not about brilliant plot elements or oscar worthy dialogue, but the combination of good voice acting, emotional moments, and good music that make the story enjoyable in ffxiv.

Goonsquad Officer
You cannot in the same breath mention kai lang or mass effect 3s ending and then defend ff14.

I listed half a dozen popular franchises/rpgs/settings off the top of my head and all you can dispute is warcraft, a game that wasn't even up for debate.

do you not understand what a genre is? fantasy/anime is not hard scifi. mass effect 1 spent a lot of time explaining how the ***MASS EFFECT*** removed the need for bullets or ammo or all manner of primitive inconveniences. then in 2 they forgot this and put in bullets. then in 3 a retard with an anime sword flew across genres to stab a car.

I fucking disputed all of them you mongoloid. I can't help that you are incapable of reading. that may be your big beef with FF. it's got words and you can't word properly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Literally every rpg and mmo tells a story that is thus far, better than this one.
Nahhh, I mean sure a lot of the ARR stuff I could buy this, but this just doesn't hold true at all as you get through HW and into the later 14 expansions. Granted if it's not your thing, it won't improve...and you seem like you're already predisposed to not liking any of it at this point because you want to focus on the MMO stuff.

I will say I can see how having to play through X number of expansions of MSQ to get to the endgame MMO stuff could be quite tedious for someone who prefers the normal WoW mold where you can just worry about the current level cap and get there in a couple of days to open up endgame.

In your case, I would just say boost it and see if you like their endgame stuff.

Goonsquad Officer
good news is, apparently they talked about re-working the earlier game. so that's a positive. maybe it'll eliminate some of the hesitancy of people tryin the old arr content.

Chris

Potato del Grande
good news is, apparently they talked about re-working the earlier game. so that's a positive. maybe it'll eliminate some of the hesitancy of people tryin the old arr content.
Castrum and Praetorium being turned into 4 man dungeons apparently.

It's worth the dev time given how many people do them for MSQ roulette.

I'd just make fucking Cid talk while you are fighting and then have Ultima Weapon be an 8 man trial and Lahabrea be a personal instance.

I guess they'll just allow cutscenes to be skipped and encourage new players to use the trust party.

Merrith

Castrum and Praetorium being turned into 4 man dungeons apparently.

It's worth the dev time given how many people do them for MSQ roulette.

I'd just make fucking Cid talk while you are fighting and then have Ultima Weapon be an 8 man trial and Lahabrea be a personal instance.

I guess they'll just allow cutscenes to be skipped and encourage new players to use the trust party.

Going to kill the exp train of MSQ roulette, but honestly not that big of a deal for me anymore with every class up to 80 at least. Can just use dungeon trust runs or beast tribe in 6.1 (probably) to just casually level up remaining classes from 80 to 90.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Going to kill the exp train of MSQ roulette, but honestly not that big of a deal for me anymore with every class up to 80 at least. Can just use dungeon trust runs or beast tribe in 6.1 (probably) to just casually level up remaining classes from 80 to 90.
I'd bet that the Elephant people confirmed for 8.1 will be the crafting tribe, since Thavnir has been mentioned in crafting for a long time.

Dreamingway at the abandoned bar in Ultima Thule I would guess will be the combat tribe.

Merrith

I'd bet that the Elephant people confirmed for 8.1 will be the crafting tribe, since Thavnir has been mentioned in crafting for a long time.

Dreamingway at the abandoned bar in Ultima Thule I would guess will be the combat tribe.

in general the crafting beast tribe doesn't come until later in the expansion as a catch up mechanic, usually combat tribe is first.

Goonsquad Officer
my wild guess was bunnies , in bunny town. (craft) elephants in elephant town (gather). then any or all in ultima thule (combat).

Chris

Potato del Grande
my wild guess was bunnies , in bunny town. (craft) elephants in elephant town (gather). then any or all in ultima thule (combat).
I'm thinking that the beast tribe zones will have extra stuff on the map not used in questing, like Flying Mount areas. That corresponds to Thavnir, Elpis and Ultima Thule.

Bunny zone is too small but they parked Dreamingway at the bar in Ultima Thule after (I think) one of the Aether Current quests.

So I'd guess Elpis for gathering. Thavnir has to be crafting based off the lore, but Merrith may be right about it not fitting the typical release order.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
That would be hilarious if the ancients were a 'beast tribe'. Works for crafting (creation magic).

Chris

Potato del Grande
That would be hilarious if the ancients were a 'beast tribe'. Works for crafting (creation magic).
Well in the live letter they said they are discontinuing the name and just calling them "tribes" for want of a better word, that would fit the scope of them expanding to "human" groups.

Cybsled

Elephant people are the first tribe, so following prior xpacs, it will probably be combat

The Loporits will def be a tribe. After that, maybe Omicrons? That restaurant at the end of the universe setup seems to be perfect for that, although that involves a Loporit, so it could go either way

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If they said they aren't calling them Beast Tribes anymore then it has to be either the Omicronians or the Ancients.