Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
If they said they aren't calling them Beast Tribes anymore then it has to be either the Omicronians or the Ancients.
Are the Omicrons even real though? It was left vague but it seemed like they were Dynamis echoes, that was confirmed by Urianger for the Ea at least.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm thinking that the beast tribe zones will have extra stuff on the map not used in questing, like Flying Mount areas. That corresponds to Thavnir, Elpis and Ultima Thule.

Bunny zone is too small but they parked Dreamingway at the bar in Ultima Thule after (I think) one of the Aether Current quests.

So I'd guess Elpis for gathering. Thavnir has to be crafting based off the lore, but Merrith may be right about it not fitting the typical release order.

Actually I think it will follow typical release order. Although with gathering only having appeared last expansion, typical for that might still be getting figured out. I'm just assuming combat will be 6.1.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are the Omicrons even real though? It was left vague but it seemed like they were Dynamis echoes, that was confirmed by Urianger for the Ea at least.
Yes the Omicrons are real, did you pay any attention to the setup for the Stigma Dreamscape?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Others than a few masterpieces like planescape torment and portal (and fight me haters but half-life should be on this short list as well), games aren’t generally going to be narrative works of art. I’m not sure what you are on about but it’s clear you seem motivated to dislike the game. What the game does deliver and especially in heavensward onward, is good storytelling, which is different from good ‘plot.’

So it’s not about brilliant plot elements or oscar worthy dialogue, but the combination of good voice acting, emotional moments, and good music that make the story enjoyable in ffxiv.
I'm not "going on" about anything. "..." kept mentioning ff14 was the only game in history that maintains a consistent story/setting because this and wow are apparently his first and only video games hes ever played.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yes the Omicrons are real, did you pay any attention to the setup for the Stigma Dreamscape?
Kinda of, not fully. I know the dungeon is to stop them invading Etheris which doesn't make sense with them being recreations like the Ea and I assume the Dragons are.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
do you not understand what a genre is? fantasy/anime is not hard scifi. mass effect 1 spent a lot of time explaining how the ***MASS EFFECT*** removed the need for bullets or ammo or all manner of primitive inconveniences. then in 2 they forgot this and put in bullets. then in 3 a retard with an anime sword flew across genres to stab a car.

I fucking disputed all of them you mongoloid. I can't help that you are incapable of reading. that may be your big beef with FF. it's got words and you can't word properly.
Look who doesn't pay attention to lore or story.
In mass effect 1 you use mass effect to send metal shavings at ludicrous speeds which is what ammo is, except guns overheat which is the mechanic which replicates reload speed/rate of fire. In mass effect 2 they have improved their weaponry by adding replacable heat sinks, "thermal clips," which absorb that heat and let you eject the clip to continue firing. Guns function the same way and use the same mechanisms for bullets.

You only "disputed" WoW(a game no one was arguing for), the only other game you've played apparently. You were wrong about mass effect.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
You're so close. Follow that thought through to its logical conclusion.
Don't be an ass, just come out with it.

Do they say that real Omicrons turned up or they were going to send a signal to them or something?

I'm with Sylas, too many of these side quests are boring and if there's no voice acting I don't know if I need to watch them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't be an ass, just come out with it.

Do they say that real Omicrons turned up or they were going to send a signal to them or something?

I'm with Sylas, too many of these side quests are boring and if there's no voice acting I don't know if I need to watch them.
If we have to stop them from invading Etheirys then they aren't recreations.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Does the game get more voice over cut scenes as you progess through expansions? ARR had like maybe 5% voice over cut scenes and 95% non voice. I've noticed an increase in hw, maybe 15% are voiced.

The non voice over combined with cthulu/lotr/gates of discord random name generator for every npc really hurts the story aspect. Its bad enough they are 1 dimensional and have no background and have shitty dialogue, but having main characters names sound like waghlaflsga and shit makes it worse. In the few voice overed cut scenes you can literally hear the pause in the actors voice as they struggle to pronounce the names, and no 2 actors pronounce the names the same way.

This has markedly improved in heavensward. Characters are more fleshed out and have real names.

Does the quality continue to improve or is heavensward a one-off?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Does the game get more voice over cut scenes as you progess through expansions? ARR had like maybe 5% voice over cut scenes and 95% non voice. I've noticed an increase in hw, maybe 15% are voiced.

The non voice over combined with cthulu/lotr/gates of discord random name generator for every npc really hurts the story aspect. Its bad enough they are 1 dimensional and have no background and have shitty dialogue, but having main characters names sound like waghlaflsga and shit makes it worse. In the few voice overed cut scenes you can literally hear the pause in the actors voice as they struggle to pronounce the names, and no 2 actors pronounce the names the same way.

This has markedly improved in heavensward. Characters are more fleshed out and have real names.

Does the quality continue to improve or is heavensward a one-off?

The trend continues to the point where in Shadowbringers 80%+ of the MSQ is voiced.

• 1Truth!

Cybsled

If we have to stop them from invading Etheirys then they aren't recreations.

To be honest, it is sort of vague. They mention the stuff in Ultima Thule are recreations made from Dynamis, much in the way Amaurot was created, and nothing was actually alive there. We do know that the souls of the dead civilizations were basically collected and stored in Ultima Thule so they couldn't be reborn, which are presumably released after we win. After you beat the final boss, most the entities in the zone have a more positive outlook vs. the nihilism they had before. Presumably because of the "song of hope" changing things.

That being said, the Ea and Omicrons specifically seem to have the most mystery surrounding how their civilizations met their end. With the Omicrons, we get the info that they were going to just stay on standby until their power ran out because they had no further purpose. The EA were looking to get vessels of flesh, so if they died out, that means they either succeeded, or they said "fuck it" and went with the aether exsanguinators (which the traditionalists were against and seems less likely), or just lost cohesion in their crystal "houses" while staying dormant.

While the Omicron dungeon intro mentions launching nukes and shit at the planet, it's questionable if there was ever actually a threat (unless dynamis created nukes is a thing). As far as we know, they are just phantoms that think they are alive, like when the EA want to feed you Aether and get confused on why it isn't working (they don't understand there is no aether there, because they don't know they're dead). I'm thinking it was a hollow threat, or at the very least, just a dynamis created threat.

That being said, at the end Graha spends a couple minutes musing on maybe there are still Omicrons out there waiting for orders and hoping to help them. That seemed rather intentional, so I suspect the real Omicrons will show up at some point again. My bet is they factor into any future expansion involving Mercydia, the continent of the dragons. This xpac spent a lot of energy rehashing some of the lore we learned about in the Omega raids, which currently are optional and not MSQ required. The dragons have mostly been resolved from a "peace with humans" angle at this point, so having Omicrons show back up makes for a good antagonist (in theory, I'm sure there will be some good Omicrons or at the very least, Omicrons who want to stop murdering everything in the galaxy that they perceive as a potential threat or resource farm, which gets back to the themes explored in the MSQ)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
To be honest, it is sort of vague. They mention the stuff in Ultima Thule are recreations made from Dynamis, much in the way Amaurot was created, and nothing was actually alive there. We do know that the souls of the dead civilizations were basically collected and stored in Ultima Thule so they couldn't be reborn, which are presumably released after we win. After you beat the final boss, most the entities in the zone have a more positive outlook vs. the nihilism they had before. Presumably because of the "song of hope" changing things.

That being said, the Ea and Omicrons specifically seem to have the most mystery surrounding how their civilizations met their end. With the Omicrons, we get the info that they were going to just stay on standby until their power ran out because they had no further purpose. The EA were looking to get vessels of flesh, so if they died out, that means they either succeeded, or they said "fuck it" and went with the aether exsanguinators (which the traditionalists were against and seems less likely), or just lost cohesion in their crystal "houses" while staying dormant.

While the Omicron dungeon intro mentions launching nukes and shit at the planet, it's questionable if there was ever actually a threat (unless dynamis created nukes is a thing). As far as we know, they are just phantoms that think they are alive, like when the EA want to feed you Aether and get confused on why it isn't working (they don't understand there is no aether there, because they don't know they're dead). I'm thinking it was a hollow threat, or at the very least, just a dynamis created threat.

That being said, at the end Graha spends a couple minutes musing on maybe there are still Omicrons out there waiting for orders and hoping to help them. That seemed rather intentional, so I suspect the real Omicrons will show up at some point again. My bet is they factor into any future expansion involving Mercydia, the continent of the dragons. This xpac spent a lot of energy rehashing some of the lore we learned about in the Omega raids, which currently are optional and not MSQ required. The dragons have mostly been resolved from a "peace with humans" angle at this point, so having Omicrons show back up makes for a good antagonist (in theory, I'm sure there will be some good Omicrons or at the very least, Omicrons who want to stop murdering everything in the galaxy that they perceive as a potential threat or resource farm, which gets back to the themes explored in the MSQ)
For the first time since the fall of its civilization, the warmongering Stigma-4 is awake, its unbeating heart set on conquering a distant star─yours. Omicron N-7000 believes that the most effective means of deterrence is to convince its subconscious circuits of how poorly it would fare against Hydaelyn's champion, and has opened a path to allow you to implant a pseudo-memory of just such a contest. Thus does it fall to you to answer the question─of what do matrices dream?

Those are genuine Omicrons in Ultima Thule.

Goonsquad Officer
i got the impression that...at least most of who you talk to (and don't fight) are genuine folks who rode in on chunks of leftovers that are just being fucked with in an "i have no mouth and i must scream" style...but that the crazy ones, spectral ones, and random nonsense ones are manifestations.

i mostly say that because you have a mental affect on each of them you talk to at length. they start to shift their thoughts even slightly which disturbs the place. the manifestations wouldn't be able to be convinced of anything.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Welp i got ff14 running on my tablet and im about to finish heavensward. Only problem is i can only play in 1 hr chunks before my shit gets so hot i can fry an egg on it and have to power down for 20mins.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Welp i got ff14 running on my tablet and im about to finish heavensward. Only problem is i can only play in 1 hr chunks before my shit gets so hot i can fry an egg on it and have to power down for 20mins.
I was contemplating installing it on my Surface Pro 7 for brief instance runs, but figured unless I was playing with an AC unit blowing on the back of it the tablet might melt.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I was contemplating installing it on my Surface Pro 7 for brief instance runs, but figured unless I was playing with an AC unit blowing on the back of it the tablet might melt.
Thats what im running it on. I used to run skyrim on my surface pro2 like 8 years ago so i knew it had the power, but the 7 is so much slimmer including the exhaust vents are like the width of a dime, the little fan inside kicks in to overdrive after about an hour and that's when i shut it down.

Story wise heavensward id give it a 3/10, an improvement over arr but still not "fantastic." I'd compare it to rise of the hutt cartel, well 1/2 of it. That was 2 unique stories (imp and republic) vs 1, but it is mostly a self contained story with a bunch of npcs who ultimately don't matter.

Idk maybe this story can't be saved since they shit the bed and then jumped the shark with arr/post arr? They finally start introducing npcs with real names, real dialogue, personality, and backgrounds, but everytime they do they then kill them off or they became the bad guy. It became so predictable, any time you started to give a shit about an npc you knew they were about to die, and they did. And im still stuck with tatertot and alpino. Oh and i got catgirl back, oh her eyes are cloudy now. Maybe after an expansion worth of story telling ill learn enough about her to give a shit so they can kill her off too.

Allegedly post heavensward the story "really" starts. Honestly though it seems like you guys are fans of m. Night. Shamalongadingdongs later, shittier works, where he works so hard to add a twist that the story is meaningless.

• 1Picard

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Huh? Post heavensward is stormblood which is almost universally considered to be worse than heavensward.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thats what im running it on. I used to run skyrim on my surface pro2 like 8 years ago so i knew it had the power, but the 7 is so much slimmer including the exhaust vents are like the width of a dime, the little fan inside kicks in to overdrive after about an hour and that's when i shut it down.

Story wise heavensward id give it a 3/10, an improvement over arr but still not "fantastic." I'd compare it to rise of the hutt cartel, well 1/2 of it. That was 2 unique stories (imp and republic) vs 1, but it is mostly a self contained story with a bunch of npcs who ultimately don't matter.

Idk maybe this story can't be saved since they shit the bed and then jumped the shark with arr/post arr? They finally start introducing npcs with real names, real dialogue, personality, and backgrounds, but everytime they do they then kill them off or they became the bad guy. It became so predictable, any time you started to give a shit about an npc you knew they were about to die, and they did. And im still stuck with tatertot and alpino. Oh and i got catgirl back, oh her eyes are cloudy now. Maybe after an expansion worth of story telling ill learn enough about her to give a shit so they can kill her off too.

Allegedly post heavensward the story "really" starts. Honestly though it seems like you guys are fans of m. Night. Shamalongadingdongs later, shittier works, where he works so hard to add a twist that the story is meaningless.

Yeah, rise of the hutt cartel was pretty shit for both sides. HW is far better than that. Comparing the two is pretty much just trolling. I really think you should just buy the skip.

• 1Like