Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They wiping OB for release or just plowing forward assuming no major hacks / dupes?
Last news on the subject, which was from forever ago, is that they're not wiping unless major issue, however since it's old news, it'll need to be confirmed again, which I'm sure they'll do once they announce all the details of the P4. Which they haven't done yet cause it's in at least 2 weeks.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
With open beta being so short, it seems pretty likely that the no-wipe plan will stay.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere else in this thread, I pre-ordered from Best Buy (had some certificates blah blah) not sure how I register for early access on the Square-Enix site? I searched around but as has been mentioned their site is less than user friendly. Any one else run into this?

Stave

Potato del Grande
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere else in this thread, I pre-ordered from Best Buy (had some certificates blah blah) not sure how I register for early access on the Square-Enix site? I searched around but as has been mentioned their site is less than user friendly. Any one else run into this?
Retail account registration isn't open yet. Hang onto your keys, you should have a game key, and a preorder bonus key, and you'll be able to enter them sometime before early launch Aug 20th.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I wish they would give us a set date on head start and open beta. I'd like to take some time off work for the head start but my boss will flip if I only give him a weeks warning.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I wish they would give us a set date on head start and open beta. I'd like to take some time off work for the head start but my boss will flip if I only give him a weeks warning.
Someone posted on the last page a quote from Reddit from an email from SE stating headstart starts August 20th.

Stave

Potato del Grande
and Open beta? :p
Can't help ya there, August I'm sure
biggrin.png

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone having issues proving to square that they previously purchased the original abortion ? I have emails from like 2010 but when I go to my square acct on their website it's like all the records have vanished. Even my old ffxi acct from 2002 is there but no ffxiv

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Question for those who bought from Green Man Gaming. I have the XXXXXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXX code but is that the early access key or the actual game code? Should there be a second one that I need?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Question for those who bought from Green Man Gaming. I have the XXXXXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXX code but is that the early access key or the actual game code? Should there be a second one that I need?
A dev said that's the actual game code but the early access codes haven't been sent yet and will be at a later date. So entering that code now doesn't really accomplish much as far as I know. I'm keeping it until P4 is over and everything is working fine in case they fuck up their account management and people who registered too early get fucked or whatever, never know and there's no point in registering it now.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Too lazy to read if someone has asked already, but:

As far as wiping goes, do they wipe chars in between Phases? I know at some point they are going to not wipe chars, but I was confused as to if that was starting with Phase 4, or the Open Beta, and even then, if it's only for people who pre-ordered or what?

Roxette_sl

shitlord
Too lazy to read if someone has asked already, but:

As far as wiping goes, do they wipe chars in between Phases? I know at some point they are going to not wipe chars, but I was confused as to if that was starting with Phase 4, or the Open Beta, and even then, if it's only for people who pre-ordered or what?
Phase 3 beta is over, you were able to keep the same character during the beta testing period.

Phase 4 is open beta. Phase 3 characters will be wiped. Anyone who signed up for beta should get an invite for phase 4.

As long as there are no exploits / glaring bugs that happen during the phase that would require a character wipe, all phase 4 characters will roll to release.

People who pre-ordred get into early access which will likely start on the 20th August.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
I have a Beta Key but was unable to make it to those short betas. What is the consensus about trying this in OB or maybe even launch. Is there any potential to get more than a month out of it before falling into the WoW Grind? And if so, do characters progress other than gear and levels.

What I miss in MMOs is reasons for having items that aren't just armor. Every item that made your life more enjoyable in an MMO is sorely missing in modern games. Where are items that supplement what my class lacks. We need items like Cobalt legs and bracers, jboots, OT Hammer, Flowers of Functionality, ect to make it feel like we are collecting things that mean something. I don't collect vanity items except illusion masks that monks could use, but I will and did collect items that supplemented me character. Does FF14 look like it will have this aspect or is it gear and items that are replaced within the same day.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have a Beta Key but was unable to make it to those short betas. What is the consensus about trying this in OB or maybe even launch. Is there any potential to get more than a month out of it before falling into the WoW Grind? And if so, do characters progress other than gear and levels.

What I miss in MMOs is reasons for having items that aren't just armor. Every item that made your life more enjoyable in an MMO is sorely missing in modern games. Where are items that supplement what my class lacks. We need items like Cobalt legs and bracers, jboots, OT Hammer, Flowers of Functionality, ect to make it feel like we are collecting things that mean something. I don't collect vanity items except illusion masks that monks could use, but I will and did collect items that supplemented me character. Does FF14 look like it will have this aspect or is it gear and items that are replaced within the same day.
Doubt you'll find a mainstream MMO with items like that ever again. But I am not opening up a debate. You wont find that with FF14. You will however be able to level up all classes on one character and classes/jobs can use various abilities from other classes limited by extra skill slots. No Alt advancement past that atm, but FF11 had a system in place eventually for Alt advancement. So one day.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Doubt you'll find a mainstream MMO with items like that ever again. But I am not opening up a debate. You wont find that with FF14. You will however be able to level up all classes on one character and classes/jobs can use various abilities from other classes limited by extra skill slots. No Alt advancement past that atm, but FF11 had a system in place eventually for Alt advancement. So one day.
Hows the combat? I think the worst thing about MMOs is how disconnected and bloated the combat is with hotbars galore.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Hows the combat? I think the worst thing about MMOs is how disconnected and bloated the combat is with hotbars galore.
Slower than WoW but not EQ levels of slow, but it's still fast as far as killing a mob solo, solo trash fights only last 15-30 seconds or so like WoW. There is a 2.5 second GCD on abilites so your not spamming ADD style like WoW. There are not hotbars galore which is nice. There aren't a ton of abilities, a lot less than WoW, maybe 15 abilities or so per class? I could be a bit off on this, but I know it's not the clusterfuck that WoW or EQ2 is.