Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I was under the impression that every job skill is tied to the job quest line, so that you need to do all the quests to unlock all the skills, unlike normal classes which only have 2(3? not sure if there's a lvl 45 skill quest). So at the very last you have to do that, but otherwise it'd be pretty boring, having to level multiple jobs of the same class since they probably will play pretty much the same with only a few differences unless they offer a different role(like the SMN and ACN). For example if they added Ranger to Archer, it'd be boring as hell to play both Ranger and Bard from 30 to 50 when they would virtually be exactly the same since 80% of the skills are still Archer skills.

Also point to note is that they're very likely to add new classes too, not just jobs, and with the cross class system and the one char do all system, I think adding a new class generates quite a lot of content for everyone as people will be likely to level them, while in a traditional game a lot of people would say fuck making a new char and having to grind factions/crafting/tokens/whatever.

Anyway we'll see, I'm personally not thinking I'll play a mmo for more than a couple of months ever again anyway, so whatever.

Stave

Potato del Grande
The only reason I'm not a fan of this is when they add...say Dark Knight to Gladiator. Everyone who has a Lv50 Glad/Paladin doesn't get to experience any of the leveling process with DRK.

And people who start with Arcanist get a 2 for 1 Healer/DPS combo while everyone else is stuck with one role.

Overall it's probably better to deal with these minor annoyances than have to grind a near infinite number of classes, though.
Think of it as an alternative to multiple talent specs. Your Gladiator is your main "class", and your job is like a "talent tree". Paladin is like speccing your gladiator to tank, and you'll basically be getting a new spec/role alternative, as a death knight. As long as you leveled Gladiator, you got that Gladiator "core" experience anyways, as jobs only add a few new abilities to classes. If you decide to say, play a mage though, you'll still have to level up that Conj or Thm and you'll still get that mage "core" experience.

I fully assume they will be adding 2 jobs to every class fairly soon. Would love to see Samurai, Ninja, and Red Mage soon. Definitely need a greatsword job too.

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
I would be interested to see how they fit Ninja into FF14, if I remember correctly they said in FF11 Ninja and its shadow tanking mechanics ended up not being what they expected. I personally would love to see Thief again, though this time not being 100% useless if you don't own a Thief's Knife =/

Stave

Potato del Grande
I would be interested to see how they fit Ninja into FF14, if I remember correctly they said in FF11 Ninja and its shadow tanking mechanics ended up not being what they expected. I personally would love to see Thief again, though this time not being 100% useless if you don't own a Thief's Knife =/
I'm 99% sure Ninja will be a DPS this time around, and will probably stem from a Rogueish base class, alternate job being Thief.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Yeah they were pretty clear they didn't want a Ninja tank class in ffxiv. I'd be shocked if that changed.
The more I think about it, I imagine it will be like WoW rogue, where Ninja will be like a Combat rogue, and Thief will play more like Mutilate/Backstab.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the inevitable letdown that follows soon after release
this. MMO developers promise so much that they just cant meet it all with the resources they usually have on hand. Anticipation is usually met with disappointment.

in FFXIVs case specifically, every concern is either met with a "ya we will fix it" or "ya, itll get better end game". I may just be skeptical, but i dont really think they are telling us the truth.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
anticipation is never a good sign when it comes to mmos.
Hell if thats the case, then EQ:N is going ruin the industry, based on hype atm with literally zero information :p

I think anticipation is fine, as long as you have measured expectations. I can be excited to play a game and still only think I am going to get the first month initially.

Having no anticipation or excitement to play a game probably means you shouldn't play it at all, as it did nothing to draw you in to at least try it or keep playing it.

nu_11

Ninja in FFXI were awesome dps tanks with A- throwing and A- ninjutsu. Hella expensive though. I think sub Red Mage for the fast cast trait.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hows crafting? I am crossing my fingers that it is alot like FF11 was. I really did not like the WoW style crafting.
I have absolutely no memory of the FFXI crafting, but FFXIV crafting isn't like wow, it's more like EQ2 and Vanguard(recent crafting systems not the original ones). You have a certain amount of points and you either increase quality or progress and you have to deal with complications and use those limited ressources to finish the item and get as much quality as possible. It's minigame-ish instead of click-to-craft like wow. Also you get "quests"(they're called guildleves) for craft orders and shit so you don't grind the levels just by crafting but also doing quests, which is a bit less boring and means less market spam of commonly crafted items.

Gathering is however very straightforward/boring. There's also quests but it's mostly grindy.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
14 crafting:

- Has a mini-game so you arent just hitting craft every time...but it gets old fast
- Heavily interwoven between the different crafting classes. Either plan on leveling multiple or make some friends.
- Mining gets FF11 level grindy in the 20s
- Despite all the above, is not especially expensive (maybe if you try to level without gathering it would be). This could change if they nerf HQ guildleve rewards

11 crafting:
Honestly the only thing I remember about it is the obscene cost to make any progress whatsoever

Roxette_sl

shitlord
this. MMO developers promise so much that they just cant meet it all with the resources they usually have on hand. Anticipation is usually met with disappointment.

in FFXIVs case specifically, every concern is either met with a "ya we will fix it" or "ya, itll get better end game". I may just be skeptical, but i don't really think they are telling us the truth.
Except for that fact that SE has done something that no other MMO developer has ever done.... they went back and actually fixed the game. Past performance is an excellent predictor of feature expectations. Yoshi has been pretty on the ball with doing what he says he is going to do.

Do I expect this game to ever be perfect? No...

I am skeptical, even jaded when it comes to the slew of garbage games to come out over the last several years. The one thing that I did take notice of with FFXIV 2.0 is that this dev team has been transparent and actually doing what they say they will do, rare. Does this mean this game development team will be different, God I hope so otherwise the gaming genre is dead.

I guess what I am saying, yes developers lie, history tells us that. In this case though, the last 3 years Yoshi has done what he said he was going to do. Not sure if that is worth anything to anyone else, for me though it is nice to see; it actually brings a bit of hope.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This could change if they nerf HQ guildleve rewards
They didn't nerf the rewards, they nerfed the ability to endlessly loop skills until every item you made was HQ. My understanding is that it will be extremely difficult to make HQ items without using only HQ materials.