Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got my p4 beta key, email said I only had until July 30th to register the key or it expires.
P.S. email also said they'd be sending a ps3 beta code shortly, so that should be good, I'm interested in seeing how it plays on the console vs a Low end gaming laptop.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Recent email:
Thank you for signing up for the FFXIV: A Realm Reborn Beta Test!

We?ve noticed that you haven?t registered your Beta Test code yet. To ensure that you?re prepared for our upcoming beta test, we encourage you to register your code before Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 10:00 p.m. (PDT)!

The schedule for the final beta test will be announced at a later date on the FFXIV: ARR Beta tester forums and on other official channels.
The key in that email was exactly the same as the one sent out for phase 3. So either they require you to re-register the same one or their system is drunk.

Artifa

N00b
Are you sure it was a phase 4 key?

I think the reason for those emails is because anyone registered for previous phases get access to the next phase. Sounds like if you received a phase 3 beta code and never registered it to an account, you'll have to re register for phase 4 because the phase 3 code won't work anymore after that date.

Ferr_sl

shitlord
I feel kinda late to the game here but, is it not possible to just buy the game from the ff website? I have been looking and can't seem to find it anywhere.

Okay, so I found where to buy it on the sony site, but when I try to make the purchase it tells me my email is already used, but when I try to login it just states that my credentials are invalid? I just checked and the login definitely works for the account site. Do they have a different account system for their accounts than for their store?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
one thing about square-enix. I hate their account systems and redundant systems, its so damn confusing and built in the worst way for players.

Cthalupa_sl

shitlord
Re: 11 crafting

It was one of the worst things in existence, and had lots of voodoo to it that I still don't think anyone to this day is sure about.

It boiled down, basically, to having a bunch of materials, having to craft the same item over and over and over and over gain, and you would sit there and HOPE to see your skill was raised by 0.1. Sometimes, if you were lucky, it was 0.2. And if the gods were smiling upon you, you'd get a 0.3.

Most of the time, you got nothing. And sometimes, it just blew up and you lost your materials. This could even happy when you were super high level in your crafting skill, working with super expensive ingredients. I remember seeing a craft on a Noble's Tunic fail and the shining cloth got destroyed - at the time, the only source for this was Kirin, King Behemoth, and Suzaku... It was worth a few million gil, when a few million gil was a very large amount.

I'm pretty sure only a masochist would want 11 crafting to make a return.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I really wish they would come clean on the damn exact dates of P4 and early access. Yes i know there might be abit of variability but I rather have a semi concrete plan and adjust then be in the dark. It would be different if they didn't already have an offical launch date but since that is set they should at least have hard dates on the other two. Part of the joy of a new MMO for me is racing to top; I have a job with alot of responsibilities and never ending meetings etc so I'd like to actually plan ahead. Alas, after a certain point in your career you just call in sick.

Anyone play both a GLD & MAR to max beta level to compare? I was set on 2 boxing a GLD & THM both with cures but I'll be running some solo dungeons on the tank obviously and it seems like marauders AE enmity ability makes things so much easier since at least through level 28 there wasn't really a need to sleep things. Guessing GLD's cool downs will ultimately put it as the better single target tank in alot of cases but since I'm probably going to main my THM (BLM) for raids maybe my pet tank on the other account should be a marauder for better dps and speedier clears.

Guess its to early to tell but still need to make a decision on what to at least start with.Also still very scared there hasn't been much officially said about the mismatch in when AE's hit etc. As is that will have detrimental effects on end game raiding if they have "get out of fire" type raids which we know they will.

Artifa

N00b
They did respond about the AEs hitting well after you move out of the visual. Something about their net code and they're working on it. On my cell or I would try to find it. Its on the beta forums though and they do know about it.

As far as GLD vs MRD there was some discussion previously but honestly I'd pick whichever you find more fun. We did speed clears with a solid group sleeping, single targetting, and me as a CNJ dpsing most of the time. Doing Haukke Manor and Brayflox full clears, hitting all optional areas with possible chests in 25 mins each. So you can clear just as fast with a GLD tanking as a MRD if you play off the strengths of the GLD.

I don't recall if the tank jobs require the other at 15 for the quest but if they do, you'll likely be playing both anyway to get shared skills.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
GLDs simply take less damage, which makes them a superior overall single target tank. I played with a few different glads (as CNJ) and Marauders and while I like the speed of clearing trash that Marauders bring, the Gladiators were just much more relaxed on healing when it came to the bosses. Granted, either would have been preferable to my lancer/2monk group that I did Ifrit with haw, but that's the fun of making things work. In fact, with a glad tanking I was actually able to DPS occasionally during trash, since stuff wasn't instagibbing 2/3 the way through my Stone casts. And on bosses, I could spend more time in cleric stance throwing rocks and breezes. With the Marauders, I was definitely in healing stance more often. Anecdotal and all that, of course.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
GLDs simply take less damage, which makes them a superior overall single target tank. I played with a few different glads (as CNJ) and Marauders and while I like the speed of clearing trash that Marauders bring, the Gladiators were just much more relaxed on healing when it came to the bosses. Granted, either would have been preferable to my lancer/2monk group that I did Ifrit with haw, but that's the fun of making things work. In fact, with a glad tanking I was actually able to DPS occasionally during trash, since stuff wasn't instagibbing 2/3 the way through my Stone casts. And on bosses, I could spend more time in cleric stance throwing rocks and breezes. With the Marauders, I was definitely in healing stance more often. Anecdotal and all that, of course.
The healing requirements are so lax early on that you really aren't getting stuck healing much either way. Also, there's a pretty good chance that you'll be able to pickup Regen as a cross class sklll from Arcanist early on. I'm guessing that throwing on a pre-emptive early Regen will be enough healing for most pulls.

Actually, I bet that any power group could have a THM grab Regen as well. Both the CNJ/THM could stack HoTs at the beginning of every pull to make them healing free.

Syia_sl

shitlord
Both tanks will be fine. Marauders do more damage than Gladiators, and can be a single target tank with team CC too. Marauders cleave often because damage and healing returns are significant, as long as you don't wipe (bloodbath + zerker + raging strikes + ...) . I do think that Marauder is significantly more fun to play as well. Most gladiator abilities start to become click and forget, which makes for pretty efficient, but boring gameplay. When I was tanking on my marauder, I would control marks for the party. If I had cooldowns up and TP for cleaving, I would do so. Otherwise I'd assign marks for a standard CC pull.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
do i need to re-register for phase 4 if ive been in beta 2/3? do i need to redownload client?

Syia_sl

shitlord
A new post is up from Yoshi-P. Apparently the lack of responsiveness (AOE near-hits) in P3 was because server syncing was turned off. The player hitbox has also been reduced to be only at the center of the player.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...esponsiveness/

Producer and director Yoshi-P here.
Thank you for all of your feedback on latency issues and the evasion of enemy attacks. As we continue working to address these issues in time for phase 4 and release, I'd like to inform you all of the current situation.

This post will focus on area attacks that are difficult to evade, or still connect even if you appear to have avoided it.

Damage taken when Ifrit uses Eruption.

When Ifrit used eruption in phase 3, the animation had a momentary build-up before the explosion. Because of this momentary buildup, there was a slight delay between the server's check and the explosion. This has already been corrected for phase 4 and release.

Damage taken for what looked like a near miss.

1. Registering Player Damage

In phase 3, when judging whether a character was standing in an attack's area of impact, your position was checked using a circle around your character to represent the space your character stands in.

Furthermore, to keep the different races balanced, the radius of this circle was the same for all characters. Because of this, even if you appeared to have barely escaped the area of effect, a portion of the circle was still within range. This created the illusion that you barely evaded attack, with varying results depending on your race.
For phase 4 and release, this circle has been reduced to a single point at the center of where your character is standing to more accurately determine your position.

2. Enemy Progress Bars and Area of Impact

Being an online game, there will always be a minimal delay when input is received from the player and sent back after being processed by the server.
In FFXIV: ARR, your position is checked by the server once every 0.3 seconds. This timing is synced and processed according to the servers to prevent lag between your input and what you see.

During phase 3, however, this syncing did not take place due to stringent server checks that took place, causing lag between what you saw on the enemy progress bar and your character's positioning. As a result, even if you appeared to be outside the area of impact when the progress bar was filled, damage was still taken.

Adjustments are being made to reduce lag as much as possible, and syncing should improve the timing between enemy cast bars, area of effect markers, and the actual attacks.

Rest assured that we're doing what we can to make sure players can safely evade attacks by watching enemy cast bars and markers for area attacks.

Players overseas were also affected by having to access the Japan data center in Version 1.0, as this further delayed the relay of data from the server. With the establishment of a regional data center and the above measures being taken to improve syncing with the servers, we will continue working to ensure an enjoyable gaming experience for all of our players.
(Even with a great connection, I think there's still maybe a 0.1 second margin of error with the cast bar, so make sure to get out of the way when playing with your party. )

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have an active real closed beta account. Is this worth playing again? I was turned off in some of the earlier builds by how theme parkish the game was, and lack of classes.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've heard that term in a few different threads, what does theme park MMO mean?
Quest hubs, casual friendly(soloing possible, low death penalty/travel time/downtime/difficulty in entry content), no sandbox elements, that kind of stuff. Basically, similar to wow.