Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Guess I'm going to be a CNJ/WHM, because ACN/SCH looks clunky as hell and I have zero interest in playing a healer that can't actually heal for 30 levels. I'm liking the potency changes on CNJ/WHM stuff too, the only disappointment is that Esuna, Stoneskin, and Medica II still have fucking retarded cast times.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hey they made Defiance suck slightly less! But nerfed Mercy Stroke, my favorite skill
frown.png

^I dunno, there appears to be some class-specific stuff you can do with your pets even before 30? Would think that isn't right but who knows...

On the other hand, it looks like they weren't a fan of THM healers.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Guess I'm going to be a CNJ/WHM, because ACN/SCH looks clunky as hell and I have zero interest in playing a healer that can't actually heal for 30 levels. I'm liking the potency changes on CNJ/WHM stuff too, the only disappointment is that Esuna, Stoneskin, and Medica II still have fucking retarded cast times.
Since you're in the area Vorph, time to upgrade my video card. What do you recommend in the $200-250 range at the moment in Nvidias line?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm still going to go for Scholar, their healing shit looks nice and the support buffs look insanely strong if you can do without the healing pet, plus it seems to be less Stone spammy for soloing. The thing though is I'm not sure they'll end up like this in P4, as I said the tooltip for the carbuncles pets don't match their skillsets, it seems the skillsets are closer to what the old carbuncles were planned to do(damage and tanking) but the tooltips mention healing and support. Also the colors changed on the carbuncles, was Diamond(tank) and Ruby(damage) but is now Topaz and Emerald so I feel they might just change the Carbuncle to do support/heal shit as the tooltips indicate, so you could do the early dungeons with the pet healing only, maybe(probably lvl 2CNJ for Cure obviously too).

Not sure why Cleric stance is available to Arcanists though, considering they get int as trait(so it's safe to assume their main stat gain is going to be int) and Cleric stance is only good for making a healer class into a DPS class, not the contrary, since the stat swap also comes with a penalty to healing(so you can't stack int, then swap it to MND and expect to heal better when you have a 20% penalty on top). I mean why not but it feels fairly worthless, maybe Scholar will have a ton of MND compared to INT then it'd be useful for soloing.

Vorph

It would kind of suck if scholar heals with mind and summoner nukes with int. That pretty much kills the convenience factor of having access to two jobs as a ACN, since all your stat points would be spent on the wrong stat for one of them (unless you decide to gimp them both equally).

Edit: XIVDB is showing Esuna as a 1.0 second cast now, same as the SCH version (Leeches). 1 out of 3 head-from-ass removals isn't bad I guess.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Only real option in that price range is GTX 760.
Sorry to derail this any further, but do you know why video cards are so ridiculously expensive in Japan? Everywhere I check I see a 20-30% markup on US prices. Other computer parts are usually cheaper.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It would kind of suck if scholar heals with mind and summoner nukes with int. That pretty much kills the convenience factor of having access to two jobs as a ACN, since all your stat points would be spent on the wrong stat for one of them (unless you decide to gimp them both equally).

Edit: XIVDB is showing Esuna as a 1.0 second cast now, same as the SCH version (Leeches). 1 out of 3 head-from-ass removals isn't bad I guess.
The stats you get from levels is a fairly minor part of the total stats, like 10% or so, so it won't have a huge effect, plus you might be able to respec points come release or later, in the original you could reset like a few points per week or some shit.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm probably still going bard. Though they took away my 10% dmg increase debuff /cry.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Sorry to derail this any further, but do you know why video cards are so ridiculously expensive in Japan? Everywhere I check I see a 20-30% markup on US prices. Other computer parts are usually cheaper.
Higher average income?

Same thing in Norway.

http://www.komplett.no/k/kl.aspx?bn=...A03616.K144543.

vs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&PageSize=20

Roughly $100 more per card in Norway compared to the US prices. 1US is 5.96NOK now. Full priced games bought at your local gamestore can easily run you $100 per game. Beer costs around $10-15 for a pint.

But, back to FF14.
Downloaded the benchmark. Got around 4k with some options turned off at 1378*760 resolution, went down to 2500 at 1920.

I need a new computer. Using a laptop and I think it is dying. The heat, when I game, even with a fan + cooler under it, reaches around 90C when I game (190f). If I turn off the external fans, then Skyrim for instance just shuts off the computer as it reaches over 100 degrees celsius. On completely idle it stays around 55-57C (120f). 60-70 running a browser and youtube. I think the internal fans are broken. Are they easy to fix? By that I mean, can I open it and blow on them like NES cartriges and suddenly they will work.....
smile.png
?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I can't come close to those GTX 670 SLI numbers on the Reddit sheet. I know my cards aren't great overlockers, but I'm at about 13k compared to the other 17k. And the second highest guy has i5 2500k OC'd about like mine. Oh well, still ran awesome all beta.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can't come close to those GTX 670 SLI numbers on the Reddit sheet. I know my cards aren't great overlockers, but I'm at about 13k compared to the other 17k. And the second highest guy has i5 2500k OC'd about like mine. Oh well, still ran awesome all beta.
I just ran my rig with similar specs and hit 17k without breaking a sweat. Are you sure you have SLI enable in your Nvidia controlpanel? If you recently updated your drivers it defaults back to disabled.

9421579693_e63d7a16a8_o.jpg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is definitely enabled. I can watch the speeds, temps, and everything start to work with Precision X. The power usage never even crosses 80% though and temps stay relatively low, but the clock speeds all kick up to 1132 / 3500 once the benchmark starts to run. Even tried forcing AFR2 in the control panel just to see and it didn't impact results.

Just tried running it full screen at got to 17k, guess 1920x1080 windowed was the issue. Honestly didn't think running it windowed would makethatmuch of a difference.

Vorph

SLI cannot function in windowed mode, not even the borderless-fullscreen windowed mode that most people tend to use in MMOs.

Syia_sl

shitlord
SLI cannot function in windowed mode, not even the borderless-fullscreen windowed mode that most people tend to use in MMOs.
How much of a hit is borderless fullscreen supposed to be on a single card? I have an i5-4670k and a GTX 770 2GB. In full screen I was hitting 11-12k, and in borderless fullscreen windowed mode it was dropping as low as ~6k. This seemed a little unnatural to me, and I don't remember having frame rate issues in beta.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Maybe I'm jaded towards Affliction Warlocks in WoW, but it seems like Arcanist being DoT-centric is kind of meh with these numbers, but I could just be thinking about DPS comparisons between Arcanist and Thamaturge as you level. Similarly to Pyros and Vorph, I myself was seriously expecting them to be half-Conjurer, half-damage, with their own heals to start, rather than Scholar ONLY providing ALL of the healing to its role in addition to what you pick up from Conjurer's subclass. It just seems a strange design to have Arcanist as a DPS role to start (technically; I'm ignoring cross-classing here), then once you pick up Scholar you about-face into Healer banzaibanzai. How is this supposed to work for Duty Finder before then?

However, after reading over the Scholar fairy abilities, I find that the support fairy is insane. 30 seconds of 30% spell haste, 60s cooldown? That's it? Yes please. That's going to probably nerf to a 2m cooldown at least.

Also, can anyone translate theTraitsthat were datamined? I haven't found any English versions yet, just the Japanese, and the best I can do is sound out the Katakana.
tongue.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
(Lv8) Enhanced Aetherflow I: Grants 1 stack of Aetherflow when Aetherflow is cast.
(Lv14) Int boost 1: INT+2
(Lv16) Int boost 2: INT+4
(Lv20) Enhanced Aetherflow II: Grants 2 stack of Aetherflow when Aetherflow is cast.
(Lv20) Enhanced Action Damage I: Appears to give +10% action damage bonus.
(Lv24) (Trait) 20% chance on pet crit to give you 20% spell speed for 8s.
(Lv28) Causes Virus to also reduce INT/MND by 15%.
(Lv32) Int boost III: INT+6
(Lv36) Enhanced Energy Drain: Doubles MP gained from energy drain.
(Lv40) Enhanced Aetherflow III: Grants 3 stack of Aetherflow when Aetherflow is cast.
(Lv40) Enhanced Action Damage II: Increases Action damage by 30%.
(Lv44) Reduces Eye For An Eye CD to 120s.
(Lv48) Reduces CD of Rouse to 60s.

No idea if it's exhaustive or what.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I haven't been following this at all, can anyone give a lazy fucker a quick run-down....

Is the game hard?
Does it have any death penalties?
Is it group-centric?

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
So I haven't been following this at all, can anyone give a lazy fucker a quick run-down....

Is the game hard?
Does it have any death penalties?
Is it group-centric?
Keep in mind this is my personal experience up to about L24 from beta phase 3, with a level cap roughly around 35, and that I was playing strictly as a Conjurer (i.e. without levelling other classes to get some of their skills):

- There were a couple hiccups on my end for some of the story quests, but for the most part I didn't think it was particularly "hard". Keep in mind that questing is considered 'solo' content by the devs, so take that for what it's worth (not meant to be hard, I guess?).

- Death penalties is a yes-and-no situation. You basically lose time and (depending on circumstances) money. Specifically, you get sent back to your return/home point when you die and release (instance start for dungeons; they had shortcuts after killing some bosses, however). The money comes from travelling back to where you were. Additionally, Raise (resurrection spell) will give you a res. sickness debuff (in phase 3, one minute duration).

- Yes and no again on group-centric. In theory, you're the architect of how you go about your business, whether that's solo/questing/FATE or group/instances/FATE for the most part. There are parallels to World of Warcraft in how content is presented while levelling. Endgame is mostly a mystery aside from Primals and teased raids (Crystal Tower, Bahamut's Labyrinth; targetted for 24 people).