Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm glad they didn't fix it.. the community adapted the class into something great. They weren't overpowered either in the sense that if they did take hits it was bad news.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I'm sad that they nerfed Red Mage tanking though, and now Rune Fencer basically has a lot of the stuff that RDM tanks did back then.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There were RDM tanks? I quit around the time TBC came out, but I don't remember them tanking prior to that.

ixian_sl

shitlord
There were RDM tanks? I quit around the time TBC came out, but I don't remember them tanking prior to that.
Yeah. I don't remember when they became vogue exactly, but people figured out that stuff like Sleep/Sleep II/Dispel generated a lot of enmity. Combined with RDM's spells/abilities like Stoneskin, Refresh, Phalanx, Cure line, and Convert, their access to -Physical Damage Taken and -Magic Damage Taken gear, and Utsusemi from subbing NIN, they made good defensive tanks. When SE increased the level from 75 to 80 they nerfed the enmity generation of those abilities, though, and even by then damage dealing tanks were taking over. The current team is finally going to adjust the enmity system in general, which has been needed for a long time.

elidrin_sl

shitlord
I was never a fan of RDM tanking, probably because I had a pretty decked out PLD with an Aegis but I did enjoy my RDM a lot as a caster. Really got into the min/maxing of enfeebles and nuking. Fastcast was just an absolutely amazing trait with all the bonused out gear also. I think the thing I miss most from FFXI are the classes so I'm happy to see them talk about introducing more.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just got an invite, apparently all Alpha testers automatically get in phase 1.

Nhilist_sl

shitlord
I'm glad they didn't fix it.. the community adapted the class into something great. They weren't overpowered either in the sense that if they did take hits it was bad news.
Without a doubt, learning how to blink tank effectively was no small feat. With a death penalty, the learning curve could be painful.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I may have missed it, but when exactly do the servers come up?
Hopefully I'm allowed to post this bit from the beta boards!:
February 25, 2013, from 1:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (PST)
February 25, 2013, from 4:00 a.m. to February 26, 2013 2:00 a.m. (EST)
February 25, 2013, from 9:00 a.m. to February 26, 2013 7:00 a.m. (GMT)

Cthalupa_sl

shitlord
They started to get popular as tanks back in 07, but, I know for sure some people were at least working with the idea/trying it back in 06. If you quit a bit before TBC, or cut back, that'd probably explain it.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
I miss my BST from FFXI more than most any other class I've played in any game. It was so much fun being able to bomb around (pre-nerf) solo and kill shit that it took whole groups to kill.

nuday

Golden Squire
I would like to try this now that ARR is happening, but I can't seem to find a date for "release". Have they set one yet?

Valdraxx_sl

shitlord
Have not seen, no do I think one is set, an official release date. I am just hoping that I can get chosen to get into Beta. Never played the first release, from all the bad things I heard about it. But I am looking forward to this release.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I would like to try this now that ARR is happening, but I can't seem to find a date for "release". Have they set one yet?
I don't think they know when exactly it will be released yet, since they probably don't want to ship another fuck up. There is an open beta phase scheduled, though, so you can try it then. There's going to be three closed beta phases preceding it, each of varying lengths with a debug period in between.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Bench'd over 7k w/ my i7 960 and dual 7970's. Still not sold on game, looks nice but meh something about it still seems dull as far as gameplay. Beta wasnt very inspiring.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Bench'd over 7k w/ my i7 960 and dual 7970's. Still not sold on game, looks nice but meh something about it still seems dull as far as gameplay. Beta wasnt very inspiring.
Am I retarded or, well yea I am but I cant get the benchmark to run in fullscreen, so it only uses 1 of my 580s =\ But yea, got in the 7000s anyway. For comparison, the awesome looking valley benchmark athttp://unigine.com/products/valley/
pegs both my cards at 100%. It's just another free benchmark, I'm not a shill :p

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think they know when exactly it will be released yet, since they probably don't want to ship another fuck up. There is an open beta phase scheduled, though, so you can try it then. There's going to be three closed beta phases preceding it, each of varying lengths with a debug period in between.
Dull in more of the same kind of way?