Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
Guildleves are a kind of repeatable quest. They unlock at level 10. Upon unlocking these, They can be used and accumulate at the rate of 4 every 12 (I think) rl hours. THESE WILL ACCUMULATE DURING DOWNTIME, INCLUDING BREAKS IN THE BETA. HAVING THESE STOCKED HIGH WILL BE AMAZING FOR FUTURE PROGRESS.
Just a note on leves, they can be used for crafting and gathering as well. Leveling is extremely easy in this game, we're talking maybe 1 - 2 days /played to hit level 35. Crafting is a bit slower, however gathering is just flat-out painful to level. So if you have any interest in leveling a gathering class (botany, mining, or fishing), you are going to want to save all your leves for that.

Great tips here's the TLDR:

1) Unlock leves so they can start accumulating.
2) Before P4 ends make sure you log out in a Sanctuary or Inn for rest XP.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Are you going to boycott our Mumble server? Come join us, were a whooping three people chatting it up there.
I don't boycott voice comms, prefer them as opposed to typing in-game when the game isn't even playable yet
wink.png

although what's the username etiquette, forum name or character name? Still undecided on the latter.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I don't boycott voice comms, prefer them as opposed to typing in-game when the game isn't even playable yet
wink.png

although what's the username etiquette, forum name or character name? Still undecided on the latter.
I went with forum name, and put my character name in my note

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oddly enough Bard and Summoner are really the two classes I'm considering also , do you know much about the Summoner overall ? Curious if it's a true pet class and trying to make sure it's not an additional side dot type thing.
the datamined info is out there. Pets mostly have a side nuke of some kind ranging from 80-100 potency then some other abilities like dots/stuns/taunts/etc.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I used to have a BF3 vent server that i no longer use. I wouldn't mind making it our official FF14 vent server.

Edit: it has a 60 user capacity.
Yeah thanks Myst
smile.png
We should throw this in the OP once the game launches.

Artifa

N00b
Rest XP:

It's a bit backward, but you DO NOT GET REST XP IN THE MAIN CITIES. I learned this one the hard way. Rest xp also accumulate during downtime, including gaps in beta, so you can come back with a FULL rest xp bar between the Open Beta and early access.
I think this was changed in one of the previous betas. I'm fairly sure the moon icon at the bottom of the HUD means you are accumulating rested xp and that was showing up in cities as well.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
So, if you are newcomer to the game, here are some hard won tips and tricks. I really hope my memory as to what level and time things unlock are correct, it's been awhile..

Goal #1 = Unlocking Guildleves

Guildleves are a kind of repeatable quest. They unlock at level 10. Upon unlocking these, They can be used and accumulate at the rate of 4 every 12 (I think) rl hours. THESE WILL ACCUMULATE DURING DOWNTIME, INCLUDING BREAKS IN THE BETA. HAVING THESE STOCKED HIGH WILL BE AMAZING FOR FUTURE PROGRESS.

Goal #2 = Completing Ifrit on my main class. Preferably at level 18 or 19.

This is part of your main quest chain. This unlocks your Grand Company (after several run around cutscene quests), which is different from a Free Company (guild). Grand Companies are kind of like factions in WoW, you join them, and doing fates and various other tasks after you have joined reward you with seals that you can spend on equipment, and more importantly, your chocobo. This means that you can achieve your chocobo this weekend.

I want to get this done by level 18 or 19 so I don't waste any XP fate grinding for seals. Once you hit level 20, you can do the chocobo quest for your first mount.

Rest XP:

It's a bit backward, but you DO NOT GET REST XP IN THE MAIN CITIES. I learned this one the hard way. Rest xp also accumulate during downtime, including gaps in beta, so you can come back with a FULL rest xp bar between the Open Beta and early access.

The Teleport System:

FF14 has three different types of teleport systems. One is "Return" - you bind at any Aetheryte Crystal (big blue glowing gems in certain cities/hubs) and you can click this to effectively "Hearthstone" for free once every 15 minutes.

The second is "Teleport" - using this you can instantly teleport from anywhere in the world to any Aetheryte Crystal you have ever visted. This costs gil to use, and has no cooldown. You can also "Favourite" up to 3 locations to teleport to them at a reduced price.

The third is the teleport system within cities. This is called the Aethernet. Smaller Aetheryte crystals are scattered throughout the city and clicking any of them let you teleport from any Aethernet crystal to another Aethernet crystal. Aethernet exists in the 3 main cities. When you unlock all of the Aethernet locations in a city you gain the ability to teleport out of the cities main exits (into the quest areas) from the Aethernet as well.

Starting City, Starting Races, Jobs and Stats:

Your starting city is determined by your class and class alone.

Gridania: Conjurers, Lancers, Archers
Ul'dah: Thaumaturges, Gladiators, Pugilists
Limsa Lominsa: Marauders, Arcanists (and most likely Musketeers coming next, the 2nd Dex class)

Expect Gridania to be the most crowded as 3 popular classes start there and Beta 3 was Gridania only, so more people are familiar with the area.

Limsa Lominsa will also be crowded as Arcanist is a new class that hasn't been playable yet and people will be trying them out en mass.

There is no difference in stats or anything else by race. Go with your personal preference.

Each level after level 10 (I think) gives you stats. These are seperated by class, so adding stats to one class won't affect the stats of a secondary class. Far as we know, just dump these in your primary stat (VIT for Marauders and Gladiators, DEX for Archers, STR for Pugilists and Lancers, INT for Arcanists and Thaumaturges, MND for Conjurers.

Jobs come at level 30 and cannot be used for this Beta, so don't worry about them.

Fates:

Fates are mini-quests that activate out in the quest areas. No one is quite sure how they activate, it may be tied to people completing quest, or it may be random.

Fates usually have some story basis (Enemies raiding, people trying to steal stuff, swarms of enemies due to environmental conditions, or large boss monsters, etc) Upon entering a fate area, you are prompted to temporarily reduce your level (if you are over the maximum level of the fate) if you want to participate.

Doing fates will grant you Grand Company Seals (used to purchase items in their shop, like the chocobo) as well as hefty chunks of XP and Gil. You can receive up to 3 levels of reward (lets call them bronze, silver, gold) depending on your contribution.

I go out of my way to hit all that I see, they're really money for jam. They show up on the map and minimap with icons and shaded areas showing which area the fate covers.

Speaking of De-levelling, it happens in single player instances (important quests) and regular 4 man instances as well. For these it is automatic if you are overlevelled - it will scale you down to the highest level possible, including skills, and stats on your equipment. Out in the field, for fates, it's optional, but if you choose no, you won't get any fate rewards. This allows you to ride through a fate and not get delevelled if you are not interested in doing it.

I may have made some mistakes here, I'm working off my memory. If anyone else has any questions, post them here and I will do my best to answer them.
Can we get this on the initial post in a spoiler or something?

I don't plan on playing until the game goes live as not to burn myself out as I have with previous MMO's still in beta. I got about 15 levels in on the first Beta. We have any idea which classes the guild is going to be short on when we go live? I'll end up running as that as a main.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone able to d/l the whole client yet? I have the new patcher installed but it just says down for maintenance. I just got an email about d/g'ing the client but still just get the maintenance screen.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Anyone able to d/l the whole client yet? I have the new patcher installed but it just says down for maintenance. I just got an email about d/g'ing the client but still just get the maintenance screen.
It is scheduled to be available tomorrow.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think this was changed in one of the previous betas. I'm fairly sure the moon icon at the bottom of the HUD means you are accumulating rested xp and that was showing up in cities as well.
Hmm I don't remember it working in main cities in P3. It worked if you were inside an inn(which unlocks at the same time as leves, lvl 10-12 depending on when you do the quest) but it also works in any village/town/questhub outside the main cities that has a large aetheryte crystal(so anywhere you can teleport to). Assuming you don't have the time to lvl to 10 during this beta phase, it'd be faster to just run there, takes about 1min to run there from the creation spawn point and should start accumulating, however rested xp is % based, like you'll have 50% of your current level worth of rested xp, so being rested at low lvl isn't going to give you much xp or save you much time, but having full rested at 20 should be quite nice for the release.

Love a lot of changes they made to the UI and shit, like the button to refresh your current equipped set instead of having to go to the menu everytime and the settings to decide to display spell effects for yourself/allies separately and having none/full/reduced so you can still see some shit if you want.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I love the blk mage style(swapping buffs for mp/dps) but god that all black armor is just horrid. Is that the final armor most people wear(From what I can research its artifact armor and is supposedly the end game armor or close too it?)? Not sure I can put up with that color the whole time and iirc you can't dye the top tier armors.
Crazy talk. BLM armor is the best of them all, or at least tied with lancer. I don't even want to know how silly my 7.5' tall Roegadyn is going to look in a WHM artifact robe. :/

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
AF armor isn't endgame armor anyway, at least unless you can upgrade it. You get it as rewards for your class quests, so while the chest is 50, everything else is lower in increments of 5levels. Don't know how you could dislike the pointy hats though.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Crazy talk. BLM armor is the best of them all, or at least tied with lancer. I don't even want to know how silly my 7.5' tall Roegadyn is going to look in a WHM artifact robe. :/
This a million times. Probably going Roegadyn BLM myself. Didn't have the balls or Gil for a galka mage in XI.

Also just FYI - I just received my PS3 beta code finally. I can't say if its from PSN, registering FFXIII, or being legacy but regardless I did just finally get it a few minutes ago so check your inboxes.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
AF armor isn't endgame armor anyway, at least unless you can upgrade it. You get it as rewards for your class quests, so while the chest is 50, everything else is lower in increments of 5levels. Don't know how you could dislike the pointy hats though.
Pointy hats are awesome, all black color not so much :p Plus they have them wearing a bandit type mask.

Nhilist_sl

shitlord
Getting pretty excited. Regarding the character creation aspect of the latest benchmark, was anyone able to change the initial template from Paladin? I was able to create my specific race and customize, but the overlay seemed only to be Pally or racial.