Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Myst

Peasant
What do we gain from creating a second character, beside a new race/look? Can't our main character eventually become every single job/class?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The two most important leveling mechanics are the chain bonus (only works on equal or higher level mobs) and 30% damage rule for xp gain (even if you don't have the tap). They likely will nerf the FATE bonus for subclasses at some point, and they likely will tweak the Arcanist's power level, which is kind of the point people were saying "don't wait until the last week of beta to stick it in untested"

Their decision to cap at 20 was a strategic one, since they likely didn't want people poopsocking to 50 without experiencing other classes or crafting. This was literally a stress test and where everyone would be mobbing the servers and localized low level areas and aside from artificial realm balancing the servers have held up well under the strain.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So I'm gonna roll a a conj with plans of going white Mage later. Should I min/max race? Does it matter? Should I choose my race based on healing/mp or based on vitality like EQ?

Menion_sl

shitlord
So I'm gonna roll a a conj with plans of going white Mage later. Should I min/max race? Does it matter? Should I choose my race based on healing/mp or based on vitality like EQ?
Just play the game. Not trying to be an ass but it doesn't matter what race you select.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Races have stats between 17-23, most between 18-21. That's like a single gear piece worth of stats at level 15. Weapon power > gear stats anyways.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
This is open beta, correct? Where does one download the client? I checked the main site and couldn't find a link. Google also was completely worthless.

-Found it.. Its on the beta forums... Not the best place for an open beta download...

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is open beta, correct? Where does one download the client? I checked the main site and couldn't find a link. Google also was completely worthless.
It's on the forums, it took me a bit to find it too. Downloaded now, although it's a little slow. 90 minutes left.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Scroll up a bit. Click the open beta banner, and at the bottom of the page there is some ambiguous German button. Click it for sexy time.

Menion_sl

shitlord
Like... Really? Or are you just being casual scum
Was being serious. But if you want to sit in character select googling shit for a couple hours trying to min-max 3 stat points you can. Or just play the game... Your choice!
smile.png

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Dude... Min/maxing before character creation is more fun than playing 90% of MMOs. You can't blame me.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Made a beta account and preordered the game for shits and giggles. Won't be able to play once school starts on the 28th (so the day after launch...) much but will try to roll up on Gilgamesh once I get it all downloaded and shit.

Can at least play early access and the open beta a little.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Wow.... rain, night time in MMO's again? Can't believe I missed these things. FF14 really did well capturing a lot of the environment I've missed.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
First hours thoughts - awesome music... like, awesome. Pretty boring for the first 5 levels, but its starting to open up a little bit more. I actually enjoy the "WOW" combat and no dodging bullshit, etc.... different strokes I guess. Fun game so far.

Troll_sl

shitlord
First hours thoughts - awesome music... like, awesome. Pretty boring for the first 5 levels, but its starting to open up a little bit more. I actually enjoy the "WOW" combat and no dodging bullshit, etc.... different strokes I guess. Fun game so far.
There are actually telegraphs for things. Watch for a red shape on the ground. You can avoid shit.