Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
But it was exactly the sort of thinking and culture that SE had that resulted in that abortion of a game. FFXIs control scheme wasn't good. It kinda worked after you jumped through some hoops and got used to it. But it never worked as well was the controls of its contemporaries. If it had WoW controls it would have played better. Flat out Truth (with a capital fucking T).

That sort of corporate culture where you think you can do everything better and don't take notice of what your competition is doing better than you and the attitude of a company that says 'well our players will just have to deal cause we aren't changing' is what results in a debacle like FFXIV, which is what I meant.
Did you not read the interview? Have you not followed all the changes they've made? This is the polar opposite to what you're complaining about. The head of this game is down to earth and they are taking feedback in spades.

ixian_sl

shitlord
As much as I'd love to, no way am I blowing a day off to play a beta that will probably be up and down all day.

If people in the beta want to try to meet up on a specific server, I think I'm going to Tonberry.

Meko

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I got in early this morning. Have been in 1.0, the game is leaps and bounds better. It's pretty much the only direction they could have taken from 1.0 as it was rock bottom but 2.0 is really good (so far). The character creation alone blew me away coming from FFXI and 1.0; it's an incredible advancement. I'm hoping to be able to play tonight barring the servers being taken down.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Didn't you not read the interview? Have you not followed all the changes they've made? This is the polar opposite to what you're complaining about. The head of this game is down to earth and they are taking feedback in spades.
Didn't you read my post, I said FFXIV (you know that game that came out a few years ago and sucked donkey dick) not FFXIV ARR, a game that isn't even out yet so how could it have failed?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
As much as I'd love to, no way am I blowing a day off to play a beta that will probably be up and down all day.

If people in the beta want to try to meet up on a specific server, I think I'm going to Tonberry.
I just got off work so I am gonna sleep but I'll get up later and hopefully this will all be sorted out. I'll let you know what my character name is.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

Then you don't sufficiently hate your job.

on tonberry, name Aysha Sparrow. Human Conjurer.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Is there some secret to getting beta keys for this game?
For this first phase, it was either being a legacy member (paying for three consecutive months during 1.0), being a part of the recent alpha test, or if you didn't fit into one of those two categories, be really lucky. I'm sure there'll be inviting more people with each phase, and the last phase is going to be open.

Burr

Molten Core Raider
Also on Tonberry. Name is Burr Elise. Probably start playing later tonight EST time.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Based on the posts I've been seeing on NeoGAF, it seems like a good idea to wait a bit before making a character. Rollbacks, ho!

Murked

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Are all jobs selectable from the start, or are there quests like in FFXI to unlocked advanced jobs?

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
But it was exactly the sort of thinking and culture that SE had that resulted in that abortion of a game. FFXIs control scheme wasn't good. It kinda worked after you jumped through some hoops and got used to it. But it never worked as well was the controls of its contemporaries. If it had WoW controls it would have played better. Flat out Truth (with a capital fucking T).

That sort of corporate culture where you think you can do everything better and don't take notice of what your competition is doing better than you and the attitude of a company that says 'well our players will just have to deal cause we aren't changing' is what results in a debacle like FFXIV, which is what I meant.
You do realise that FFXI's compact keyboard is the standard pretty much for any mouse free pc game now a days, right? Only difference that matters is instead of c-1 or a-2, you have c-a and such.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
Are all jobs selectable from the start, or are there quests like in FFXI to unlocked advanced jobs?
I'm not sure if there are advanced classes or not, but in the current beta, we can only pick lancer, archer, or conjurer at the beginning.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What the hell is a mouse free pc game? FFXI's control scheme and UI were god awful.
They were for sure. The thing was people just adapted to it and accepted it. I mean, when I finally quit for WoW 5 or 6 years after playing FFXI every single day, it was difficult. It was like the Japs didn't have a mouse to test with when they made the game and then never wanted to release a working update for it.

Everything else in the game was A+