Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

ixian_sl

shitlord
They're actually working on an updated UI for FFXI (yeah, you read that right). Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

ixian_sl

shitlord
It has some appeal still, but I went back a few months ago and after using my box army to help a friend out with her Empyrean weapon, I couldn't bring myself to log in anymore. I still keep an eye on it, though, and can't wait to see what happens with the expansion.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Damn, can't make a character on Tonberry. It's not even selectable.
9000+ ms pings mean not being able to roll on Tonberry is probably the better choice. Killing the Ixal in outside of Yellow Viper gate (or w/e) was like a 35 minute affair for 6 kills.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Early thoughts on the beta? I forget - is there an NDA in place for it (considering it's closed and all)?
Yeah, there's an NDA. Not sure how strict the forum admins here are when it comes to NDA stuff; some of the other forums I visit are okay withverygeneral stuff being posted as well as character names so people can get together in-game.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
9000+ ms pings mean not being able to roll on Tonberry is probably the better choice. Killing the Ixal in outside of Yellow Viper gate (or w/e) was like a 35 minute affair for 6 kills.
I rolled on Adamantoise and was getting around 7k ping as well. Combat is untestable in this state.

nuday

Golden Squire
Friend of mine somehow got two totally separate beta keys, so I should be in tomorrow. Let's hope this lag dies down.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
Isn't the testing phrase just today? According to the schedule posted, it says 2/25 1am - 11pm pst.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
This is the worst man.

When WoW got popular and new games couldn't compete the devs went "well our game isn't popular because it's not exactly like WoW". When in reality, their games fucking failed because the animations sucked, it was unresponsive and sluggish as fuck. So at some point all these retards decided it'd be cool if every game had tedious as fuck BC era task questing. Now we get games that control properly but have shitty as fuck gameplay.

It's pretty sad, but hopefully a new cycle of games might spawn something exciting.

I'll still try this game when the chance is there.

lindz

#DDs
Lame, that is disappointing if they just made FFWoW. The interview with the designer a page or so back did sound like they were going in that direction, but that will tank the game (again). Every MMO released follows the 'collect bear ass' model and they are all stale copies of games we have played before. I was excited to play FFXI-2 but I guess it won't be that.

Disappointed. :\

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Penny Arcade Report on the new FFXIV:http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...-mmo-but-feels

Just what I was fearing: bunch of collect 10 bear ass quests to max level.
Someone please say it ain't so!
That was from last week... I'm sure not a lot has changed, but that wasn't "my friends" experience. The part about being "too high level" for a FATE is sort of misleading... to solo the FATE monster that were prevalent yesterday, you'd be more than double the level of the monster. Of course you won't get rewarded well for it. It's been the same way in most MMOs.

The Map issue is agreeable with, but honestly, "The Branook" should be familiar, you were required to quest right near by it. So unless you never opened your map or never finished the pre-cursor quest you need to finish to get the "Go to the Branook" quest, you should be able to find it.

Yes, the hand in mechanism was clumsy (it should autopopulate, but doesn't), but there wasn't any dragging required (right click, hand over, "hand over button").

Overall, yes there is some clumsiness in implementation (though some of it is probably attributed to being designed to work with a gamepad for PS3/PS4 as well as a KB+Mouse), and "I heard" the lag was outrageous, but the questing won't be all "collect bear-asses" to get to max. Within just the 3 main class stoylines there were several "spoiler" cutscenes that were omitted and different quests (though yes, most of them were "interact with X to spawn a mob to kill"). The archer target one took a while to negotiate as well (the fucking things were pretty well hidden).

Also, there's jumping!

There's a bunch of stuff to slag on this game for it, but "collect bear asses to max" shouldn't be the one.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm expecting to see some things familiar to WoW and Rift from what I read.. But there isn't a whole lot out there so if the group areas are cool, and there are a lot of things to do out side just solo quest grinding the game will probably be worth the time.

Is the first phase of beta already over or are servers still up?