Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
In Canada I hear
biggrin.png
In Montreal, I guess I should get a good connection.
smile.png

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Well, it was fun on Saturday / Saturday night until the 3102 hit me. Made it to level 14 and wanted to hit 20 but couldn't log in at all on Sunday due to the error.

Echoing a lot of people... Nothing new here. Engine (aside from 3102) runs very well, graphics are nice although I wish they would have MSAA instead of FXAA, and it's fairly responsive.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I've said this before, but it's a strange game...for all intent and purpose it shouldn't be fun.

Questing is average at best(interesting main story though FF style).

Combat is very basic...but polished.

Classes have no customization to speak off.

Itemization is pretty bland.

World is beautiful, and game runs great.

But for some reason...I am having a blast. I shouldn't, all the system are just average but as a whole the game is a lot fun.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Well, it was fun on Saturday / Saturday night until the 3102 hit me. Made it to level 14 and wanted to hit 20 but couldn't log in at all on Sunday due to the error.

Echoing a lot of people... Nothing new here. Engine (aside from 3102) runs very well, graphics are nice although I wish they would have MSAA instead of FXAA, and it's fairly responsive.
You still have time, game is up for the next hour

spronk

FPS noob
yay, my character is unstuck. boo, servers are up for only another hour.

live is gonna be a clusterfuck I think based on this weekend, unless 90% of the players who were thinking of playing don't bother. Even now in the morning, when there should hardly be anyone trying to get in, I got 4 error 2002s trying to login and just get my character to an inn. Then I finally got in, and failed 3 times with error 90000 trying to login (followed by error 2002 and client exit when it punts me to start screen). Finally on the 8th login I am able to get in, hearth, and exit game before any more bad shit happens.

Game is great as long as everything is going 100% for you, but if any little thing fucks up you are in the 9th circle of hell, just endlessly clicking on terrible error screens that boot you back to desktop.

Whats really funny is how they closed off pre-order code registration on July 30th. Any sane company would have left it open so they have a pretty good idea of how many people are going to play on Aug 24th, but not Square they said fuck that!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not sure what it is about this game either, but I played it pretty much all damn weekend. Probably a good 40-50 hours.

The 3102 shit will likely cost them a lot of players. I know my brother in law basically said fuck it and he had been enjoying it before that. He even rolled a char on a JP server, but it sounds like he's done with it.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Got Thm/Archer/Arcanist to 20 and a smattering of other low levels. Really, really had fun.
The music is some of the best we've gotten in the genre in a long time.
Need more Ifrit style fights, that thing looked awesome.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's also led to frustration among a lot of us who weren't in P3. I know personally I had no clue what to do with my pre-order code. There was no information on getting access to open beta, and very limited on what to do with your codes.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Whats really funny is how they closed off pre-order code registration on July 30th. Any sane company would have left it open so they have a pretty good idea of how many people are going to play on Aug 24th, but not Square they said fuck that!
Errr, they closed off beta registration (transferring their billing/account servers from the closed beta system to whatever system they used in Open Beta/Live.

Pre-order code registration doesn't even begin until tomorrow.

spronk

FPS noob
Wait, so is it too late to get into the head start if you haven't already pre-ordered and everything?
They are going to open the headstart code input web site on Aug 20th (tomorrow) and let you register for headstart, which is Aug 24th, using pre-order codes from amazon, GMG, etc. I don't know what happens to people who ordered directly from Square or how it works if you pre-ordered a physical box

edit: ya I guess i just got confused I thought some people said they could enter their pre-order codes before July 30th, I guess that was something else. its still kinda dumb to only have a 4 day window to enter pre-order codes, most people are just going to forget and then be all in a panic on aug 24 when they can't get in

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I had fun. Didn't get as much accomplished as I was hoping to but that's ok. I just wish some of the PVE content was even slightly difficult. I died once on the grind to 20 in an instance group where a healer lagged out and in that same group no one else either cared or could figure out the boss mechanic at the end and yet despite 12 adds showing up the group had no issues. Tuned easy mode for sure. Here's to hoping there is some difficulty to be found in the end game.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Does the game get more complex later on? I tried it for a few hours this morning and it was so primitive that it seemed like a game for little children. I get that the first like 20 levels are sort of a tutorial, but I looked at the later skills and they don't appear to get any more involved. I mean, there's max-level skills that are simple "+x% damage for y seconds" types, and the resource system is from 1997. Is this par for the course in this game or is there something that gives it depth that isn't readily apparent from a cursory look? So far the itemization and skill system feel like it's for a smartphone game. What comprises the depth and long-term involvement of this game?

And is there a way to skip those fucking cutscenes in the beginning? Unholy fucker of mothers, it takes like 15 minutes to create a new character.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Thanks to the extended beta time...I was able to get my ACN to level 17. My CNJ is 20 with the quest to kill Ifrit completed. Better than nothing I suppose.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
No, no way to skip the beginning cutscene, or some of the others further in. Thankfully these appear to be few and far between, but still, you shouldn't be forced to watch them.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
My character was non existant on the server after the 3102 server stuff was supposedly resolved. Dunno what happened, log in, and the character select screen is interactable, but the only option is to exit out.

So this ordeal pretty well reminded me why I quit playing MMOs, which is to say I hate the hassle involved, so canceled my preorder. Its an okay game, but nothing revolutionary enough to put up with this shit in live when I'm actually paying. Not mad, just too old to give a shit anymore I think.

Thraka_sl

shitlord
Yea, everything was pretty much easy mode - I'm hoping the difficulty settings that come for later dungeons are a force to be reckon with. On a side note I did Copperbell Mines this weekend with a couple arcanists, I'm not quite sure how pets work in this game but the stupid Carbuncles kept killing the bombs on the second boss before they blew up. Anyways 10 minutes later of politely asking the arcanists to control their pets we finally told them to just kill them. The game is new (Arcanists even more so) so random shit like that is expected.

I ran into quite a few people who didn't understand how to combo into abilities as a melee, that was pretty frustrating to explain and I often just gave up. It seems a lot of people just pound their keyboard like monkeys when they play this game.

Marauder VS Gladiator tanking - Its been discussed already, but actually leveling both to 20 I found the Gladiator to be more enjoyable (which I wasn't expecting).

If anyone cares - I found that:

Marauders require less skill to maintain AE agro, and are more TP intensive then Gladiators. I dislike that their stun is on a heavy cool-down. Their single target dps and agro is on par or lesser than that of a Gladiator.

Gladiators take less damage and have a quick refresh stun. Their AE agro ability (At least at lower levels, I don't know if it changes later) is called "Flash" which requires MP rather then TP and does 0 damage. Gladiators require a little more micromanaging in terms of meter control when building AE agro. Their TP drains a lot slower if you don't use your their shield bash every 3~ seconds. Maintaining agro on all mobs requires more awareness when grouping with retards.

I'm leveling a Marauder atm. What's the other job I need to level to go for warrior? Glad?
If the previously posted unlock requirements are still true to this day; 30 Marauder, 15 Gladiator.