Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quick synthesis is awful and unless you need low level materials shit for a higher recipe, you shouldn't be using it. Like say for one of the lvl 18 cotton armor recipe you need a hemp cloth thingie and I didn't have any so I used quick synth to make it faster(it wasn't much faster though since I only needed one), I made one manually to compare after and it was about the same xp, which was like 5xp. That's cause the hemp shit is lvl 1 and I was lvl 19. However when I unlocked quick synth I did a quick comparison, bolt of cotton, one of each, cotton is like lvl 13 so it was good xp at the time. When I quicksynthed, I got ~200xp for it. When I did it manually, by just spamming Basic Synthesis, I got iirc 350 xp or so. That's basically for the same duration(maybe a bit more cause you need 2 synth actions to complete it when you just unlocked it). However if you then use up all your ressources working up the quality %, you can easily get +200% xp. That means ~1k xp. Now that takes a lot longer, it's about 6 actions so about 20secs total, vs 4-5secs for a quick synth or even a manual quick synth. However time isn't much of a problem because of the lvl cap in beta and shit and I'd rather get big xp per item so I don't need to spend money/gather more.

As for how it works, you need to start unlocking the skills. Then what I did was, the skill that makes the next 5 skills 20% less likely to fail, then 3x basic touch to increase quality, the one that restores durability, 1-2more basic touch then finish the item with synthesis. The numbers vary depending on wether or not you're high lvl enough to have +CP jewelry and how many synth you need to finish the item, but the concept is simply to increase the quality as much as possible. Doesn't matter if it's still 8% chance to make a HQ, it'll increase the xp by 150-200%. And you still sometimes get HQ mats which are nice for later on. Macro is as I explained before, /ac "Skill 1" <me> /wait 3 /ac "Skill 2" <me> /wait 3 etc. Then you press the macro and go afk until it finishes and gives you 1k-1.5k xp for a shitty combine.

Also getting tradeskills to 15 is more important than getting a bunch of them to 10. At 15 you get a cross class ability for each tradeskills, which means it makes every other tradeskill easier to level, or at least easier to make good shit when you need to. Other cross class skills are at 37 and 50. Having both the Alchemy(can use a free ability that gives 20CP whenever the condition of the item is good) and the Weaver one(100% success progress ability but at 90% of the efficiency, great for finishing items when you're at 10 durability without taking any risk which happens often when you've managed to get a high HQ%) helped me a lot in making my lvl 20 HQ book for example.

I like that you can level gathering and crafting without a combat class though. I mean alchemy requires monster drops for a lot of stuff but that's fairly specific and you can level without those if you want. Gathering get stealth so your combat stats don't matter(you can't fight anyway while gathering) and as a result you can collect high lvl mats for your crafter. I guess some people will level crafting first so they can make lvl 50 items right as the first people get to 50 and make good money. Generally it's people who rush to 50 that get to do that since they then have access to lvl 50 materials and everyone else doesn't.
Hmm I explained to someone about this. I was in the middle of making 200 cotton bolls into yarn. It was something like 340 exp each if I just quick synth'd them. If I did it manually(with a macro) it was about 1k exp each(was like 1015k on avg). So over those 100 yarn I made, I would of lost 70k exp if I did it the fast way.

I did armor and things like that by hand, as watching the condition and making sure to use a touch when its on good/excellent, to get the best quality score.

Like you said its nice for things you really out level. Like hemp yarn if you are doing cotton, because it's only small difference(like 30 exp) with grows less the higher you get from w/e you are making.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been down apparently for over an hour, but if you were logged in it wasn't really affecting you. The uptime is suppsed to be 30 minutes after midnight, pst.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Down for maintenance until 12:30(little less then 2 hours from now) hopefully.
so they take servers down for several hours in order to bring them up 90 minutes before end of beta? wtf? is this indicative of them extending beta?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Back from GenCon, time to install this mug.

Bad timing
wink.png

Banal_sl

shitlord
Hmm I explained to someone about this. I was in the middle of making 200 cotton bolls into yarn. It was something like 340 exp each if I just quick synth'd them. If I did it manually(with a macro) it was about 1k exp each(was like 1015k on avg). So over those 100 yarn I made, I would of lost 70k exp if I did it the fast way.

I did armor and things like that by hand, as watching the condition and making sure to use a touch when its on good/excellent, to get the best quality score.

Like you said its nice for things you really out level. Like hemp yarn if you are doing cotton, because it's only small difference(like 30 exp) with grows less the higher you get from w/e you are making.
Looked to me like Quick Synthesis was half the XP of the basic skill.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol so if you want to play, you have to stay up through the middle of the night on a sunday night. That is not going to make most people who were upset about it, happy.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anyone else having a buggy ass mouse cursor issue? It keeps flickering in and out, and when it does show there's a glitchy box around it?

And is open beta already over after this weekend/Monday? I was hoping it would continue until a little closer to release, at least.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
So I tried the game this weekend without any reading beforehand and had a blast. Leveled an archer (somewhat boring) and chose Conjurer as a second job. How are you supposed to level your second/third job if you already did every quest in the starting area with your main class? With Leves which seem to be limited phased/instanced daily quests? Or simply old school grind it out?

Secondary jobs don't have any story quests? Also, are the XP chains are limited by mob level?

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Leveling a 2nd character when all the quests are chewed up: Leves, duty finder, hunting log...shit like that. You get an xp bonus for a class that is at a lower level than your highest class, and it is significant.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I tried the game this weekend without any reading beforehand and had a blast. Leveled an archer (somewhat boring) and chose Conjurer as a second job. How are you supposed to level your second/third job if you already did every quest in the starting area with your main class? With Leves which seem to be limited phased/instanced daily quests? Or simply old school grind it out?

Secondary jobs don't have any story quests? Also, are the XP chains are limited by mob level?
For my second job (also a CNJ) I did the hunting log and fates. Both give really good xp. I did no quests and got to 15 where the dungeons open up without too much trouble. You could also go to one of the other starting areas and do the quests there.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
They're extending the beta to 8AM PDT...which is pretty dumb considering the number of people affected and how you know...we all have to go to bed for work/school/being a shut-in.

Congratz if you just woke up though.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
I leveled up a marauder for shits and giggles, I wasn't really planning on tanking group stuff or anything (I didn't feel like being the responsible one). I Accidentally got put into a 4 man instance while following the main quest line, went through the whole instance just spamming overpower on groups of mobs and doing my single player rotation on bosses. Is tanking multiple mobs supposed to be that easy? (spam one button the whole fight if there's more than 2 mobs) or am i doing something wrong? =P