Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Let's not forget, this game has a producer who actually has a damn brain and as an avid MMO player, has gone through the same shit the rest of us has in the last 5 years with the MMO scene. Every post/letter he has written has me nodding in agreement - that gives me hope for the future of the game.

The whole sacking the old FFXIV team and hiring Yoshi-P to totally rebuild the game was a genius move.
The game's polish is great in most areas and it definitely scratches that itch. I'm impressed with Yoshi and a fair portion of what he says/what direction he goes in I agree with but once and awhile he makes me think a 12 year kid is running the show. "Try it and have fun" when responding to critical issues/feedback sometimes scares me. I just hope he sticks with his hardcore roots, nothing wrong with making the game accessable but lets make the top part of the difficulty curve still high. I WANT to wipe sometimes, I WANT to have to figure out a way to get better dps/heals/tanks to win a fight be it mechanic changes or gear upgrades etc.

All and all, I'll be playing this pretty hardcore until they give me a reason not to. I still go bat shit crazy playing my tank 2 box with the GCD, it just feels so horribly unresponsive and unnatural. My THM plays very natural though. If the 30-50 game is as polished as the 1-30 then i'd say we have about the most polished game ever released (depending what aspect you are considering I guess). So they just need to deliver on the 50+ content.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So from reading about GC's, it looks like PVP may be GC oriented. Has anyone thought about which GC to join, assuming we'd like to be in the same one as a FC? I know you don't have to be in the same one, but I figure it might be a good idea to have an "unofficial" GC.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, wish I'd had more time to get a feel for the GC's. I guess I'll just choose the Ul'dah one, as the Chocobo barding looked black haha.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So from reading about GC's, it looks like PVP may be GC oriented. Has anyone thought about which GC to join, assuming we'd like to be in the same one as a FC? I know you don't have to be in the same one, but I figure it might be a good idea to have an "unofficial" GC.
Wait what?

As in join pvp map and it chooses sides based on your chosen GC?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have no idea. Been doing a shit load of reading about this game today. I'm getting an EQ, I can't wait to log back in, vibe today. Just from reading this link:

Free Company, Grand Company, and Linkshells

Members of different Grand Companies can be in linkshells and Free Companies together. Additionally, your Grand Company affiliation does not appear to negatively affect your ability to PVE with other factions. Our current understanding of the game suggests that Grand Companies will play a role in the PVP aspect of the game. It appears that at least one PVP scenario will involve some form of GCvGCvGC (hey, everyone in MMO-land has to have royal rumbles).
That's definitely not concrete information as PVP isn't in game yet. Also, P4 didn't have lvl 25, so no experimenting with GC's -- which means I don't really know the differences between the three.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's an item that can reset stat allocation from GCs. There's also an item that can redo your appearance from GCs (someone said like 40k seals) but we'll also be getting a free one for the first month of subscribing.

Basically it sounds like they want us to have freedom and not lock ourselves in to anything, so I doubt it will be hard faction PVP

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The problem with waiting on GC's is I want a chocobo. That's going to be one of my first goals, hit 25 and get my chocobo!

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have no idea. Been doing a shit load of reading about this game today. I'm getting an EQ, I can't wait to log back in, vibe today. Just from reading this link:

Free Company, Grand Company, and Linkshells

That's definitely not concrete information as PVP isn't in game yet. Also, P4 didn't have lvl 25, so no experimenting with GC's -- which means I don't really know the differences between the three.
Hmm sounds like 1 "BG" out of X will be GC based, which is no big deal. It's really no different then just the game randomly picking sides(since there are no factions really) for players. If anything it could allow rewards based around the GC.

I'm not sure about my GC. Probably just choose based on color. I did serpent people in p3, but I was hoping for bright yellow like puglist armor, but it wasnt even close.

Myst

Peasant
There's an item that can reset stat allocation from GCs. There's also an item that can redo your appearance from GCs (someone said like 40k seals) but we'll also be getting a free one for the first month of subscribing.

Basically it sounds like they want us to have freedom and not lock ourselves in to anything, so I doubt it will be hard faction PVP
We can redo our characters appearance for free?

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Note for the mount you get with the collector's edition

Coeurl Mount

Adventurers will be able to ride a variety of mounts for transportation in A Realm Reborn - including chocobos, Magitek armor and more! With this bonus, you'll be able to hop aboard a coeurl and chase down your foes!
* Players will be able to ride mounts once they have reached level 20 and have obtained a chocobo.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was 20 in P3 for chocobo, please tell me that shit didn't go up.
For some reason I thought it was 25 just based on GC's. But I'm probably wrong. The post above mine makes it look like 20, since that's directly from SE regarding mounts.

Also, not sure how legit this is, but apparently it's for just an early access key. I'm assuming it's cause legacy players may not be able to play early access? I dunno.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Early Access Key