Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also, saw this on reddit. It is pretty cool, I really do hope this game does well because more players = more content usually (hopefully)

I do think that word of mouth really is going to blow this game up like WoW did. Give it a few weeks when they have everything stabilized and this game is going to be a hit. Not WoW size hit, but bigger than SWToR launch hit I bet. Plus you have all the PS3 people that will sub too. Which is probably a bigger pool than PC even. With reddit on Gilgamesh, be prepared for a big influx on that server as all the social medialites will be coming in through word of mouth.

I really do hope this game far succeeds their expectations. In the future, devs and investors will see unpolished shit game = fail, polished = succeed and maybe actually wait until a game is finished to launch it. Also if this game does become a big hit, SE will most definitely want to keep it going as from what I heard, this game was their make it or break game, and if it failed they would probably go under. They NEED to keep this going, and Yoshi-P knows how to keep an MMO going, keep carrots, and content coming. WTB Samurai and Ninja jobs!
This game wont rival WoW, it probably wont even make 1/4th the sales WoW did. In it's current form the game is unpolished, so that argument is kind of invalid. The movements are clunky and don't respond properly, the quest UI is horrendously fucked up, the cut scenes are mind numblingly tedious and uneventful, and probably worst of all, the armor looks like dog shit early on I understand that armor should be lacking at early levels. But come on, olive colored oven mitts? Piss yellow robes that flare out at the bottom? Jesus christ.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We know. They know. We know that they know. They know that we know. Everybody knows.
Assumption that they know what they're doing is the mother of all fuck ups.

piegeagrandevitesse23.jpg

Stave

Potato del Grande
This game wont rival WoW, it probably wont even make 1/4th the sales WoW did. In it's current form the game is unpolished, so that argument is kind of invalid. The movements are clunky and don't respond properly, the quest UI is horrendously fucked up, the cut scenes are mind numblingly tedious and uneventful, and probably worst of all, the armor looks like dog shit early on I understand that armor should be lacking at early levels. But come on, olive colored oven mitts? Piss yellow robes that flare out at the bottom? Jesus christ.
No, it won't rival or dethrone WoW, I said it won't be a WoW sized hit, but it will exceed its own expectations like WoW did at launch. WoW planned for what a few hundred thousand, and got multi-millions? It will outsell SWToR though I predict. I know you don't care for the game, but there are pages upon pages here alone on one of the most jaded forums of people who are loving it and actually having withdrawls from the "hook" that they haven't experienced in many years. The non jaded MMOers and WoW players who want something new, are going to give this a try if their friends play it and enjoy it. It is going to get big, a lot bigger than SE anticipated I bet. I do not think it will dethrone WoW by any means, but it will probably be the 2nd biggest MMO and probably for quite a while until the next big thing (EQN?) comes along, just like FFXI was the alternative to late EQ until WoW came out.

And you may think the newbie armor looks like dogshit, but as everyone here has stated, the graphics are beautiful and it's the best graphic MMO ever, and it runs on dogshit computers even. So you have some odd looking newbie armor that you will replace in a bit, what game doesn't? You can dye gear too. Did you look at the AF armor? It's amazing. And as far as being unpolished I would debate that it is extremely polished. I have played unpolished, and that this game is not. This is more polished than WoW was at launch. The UI seems fine to me, movement works fine, and I and a lot of others actually enjoy the cutscenes. This game won't be for everyone and I understand if you don't like it, but if SE can iron out this account and 3102 early stuff, it is going to be a hit (2nd largest MMO long-term next to WoW), I'm calling it now.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Also, saw this on reddit. It is pretty cool, I really do hope this game does well because more players = more content usually (hopefully)

(amazon image snip)
Yeah, I think it's going to be a lot bigger, initially at least, than they realize.

Also note that GW2 topped Amazon charts too leading up to it's release - so don't take that as any indicator of long term health of the game. I wonder how SWTOR was.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, it won't rival or dethrone WoW, I said it won't be a WoW sized hit, but it will exceed its own expectations like WoW did at launch. WoW planned for what a few hundred thousand, and got multi-millions? It will outsell SWToR though I predict. I know you don't care for the game, but there are pages upon pages here alone on one of the most jaded forums of people who are loving it and actually having withdrawls from the "hook" that they haven't experienced in many years. The non jaded MMOers and WoW players who want something new, are going to give this a try if their friends play it and enjoy it. It is going to get big, a lot bigger than SE anticipated I bet. I do not think it will dethrone WoW by any means, but it will probably be the 2nd biggest MMO and probably for quite a while until the next big thing (EQN?) comes along, just like FFXI was the alternative to late EQ until WoW came out.

And you may think the newbie armor looks like dogshit, but as everyone here has stated, the graphics are beautiful and it's the best graphic MMO ever, and it runs on dogshit computers even. So you have some odd looking newbie armor that you will replace in a bit, what game doesn't? You can dye gear too. Did you look at the AF armor? It's amazing. And as far as being unpolished I would debate that it is extremely polished. I have played unpolished, and that this game is not. This is more polished than WoW was at launch. The UI seems fine to me, movement works fine, and I and a lot of others actually enjoy the cutscenes. This game won't be for everyone and I understand if you don't like it, but if SE can iron out this account and 3102 early stuff, it is going to be a hit (2nd largest MMO long-term next to WoW), I'm calling it now.
I guess we can agree to disagree, I've played every somewhat major mmo that's came out in the past 15 years and I don't think this game is in the top 80% of "polished".

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
This game won't be for everyone and I understand if you don't like it, but if SE can iron out this account and 3102 early stuff, it is going to be a hit (2nd largest MMO long-term next to WoW), I'm calling it now.
I actually agree with this. Aside from the fact his engine scales incredibly well on low end computers, it's the ability to play on a console that's going to give it an opportunity to have huge numbers. Bringing this to the PS3 taps into an installed base of75 millionwhich has zero competition of a competing AAA MMO. Couple that with it being a Final Fantasy title, which the last one on the PS3 sold over 2m units, and I don't see a scenario where this game doesn't sell over a million units easily.

This game is going to be big.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure where you're getting unpolished from, Sutekh. I think it's incredibly well done.

Either way, I've played several recent MMO's in the last few years, and this is the only one I've had the EQ type feeling of wanting to log back in immediately.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I won't say its going to be a massive hit - I will say it is definitely polished though. I'd love to hear the "20%" of MMO's released more polished than this one on release. I can think of maybe 3, and that is being awfully generous.

I've been having childish withdrawals since Sunday night, which is telling. Haven't had that happen in years, so that says something. Hope they're working out the bugs from the weekend, and everyone gets their pre-order codes in before Saturday. I'll be pretty annoyed if I can't play this weekend (even cancelled a trip to Keytsone, CO to get some time in this weekend in peace).

Needless

Toe Sucker
considering how many errors this game has had during beta.. yeah its kind of unpolished still at this point of releasing next week. or, pre-releasing in ~3.5 days.

you guys should know by now that there is high potential for shit hitting the fan the first few days (^ i foresee this guy getting pissed that he canceled his trip over something lol)

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
considering how many errors this game has had during beta.. yeah its kind of unpolished still at this point of releasing next week. or, pre-releasing in ~3.5 days.

you guys should know by now that there is high potential for shit hitting the fan the first few days (^ i foresee this guy getting pissed that he canceled his trip over something lol)
Nah, I own the house ha. Was going to go w/ family, but I told them I was super busy with work (which is true) so they can have the place to themselves. Girlfriend is going without me, leaving me here alone to drink cherry cokes, play games and not workout.

Can't believe I just typed that out, jesus.

Needless

Toe Sucker
haha fair enough, i'm just saying though that there is always that chance of an MMO not taking off perfectly during a pre-release, specially with all the 90000 and 3102(3201?) errors that a looooooooooooooooot of people were getting, and now the whole early access codes getting all fucked up.

I hope it's not the case anyway

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure where you're getting unpolished from, Sutekh. I think it's incredibly well done.

Either way, I've played several recent MMO's in the last few years, and this is the only one I've had the EQ type feeling of wanting to log back in immediately.
-Abilities fail to fire or cancel instantly, regardless of your lag there's a 1-2 second delay when using abilities. Especially "instant" abilities that are off the GCD like Arcanist Virus or other CD abilities, it still has a delay of ~.5-1 seconds and is nearly impossible to immediately chain these abilities and will always result in a net DPS loss when using them (as opposed to say WoW, where there's literally zero delay when activating cooldowns or trinkets).

-The UI in general is a clusterfuck;

-no clear discernable way to tell which item is better short of "DIS 1 HAS MOAR ARMOR". They show the disparity between stats in the armor alone but refuse to add said stats in for Mind/Vitality/Etc.

-the quest's are very vague and don't give a good idea where to go the majority of the time, even when you sit there the cut scene and listen to them you're still left hunting on the map trying to find where the actual zone is.

-the Hunting log suffers from the same vagueness and is actually wrong in a lot of places, I did both rank 1 and 2 difficulty hunting logs for Conjurer/Arcanist/Thaum and ran in to things that said X was in certain subzone when it actually wasn't, this was confirmed by just looking at your map.

-the aether crystal/teleport system is awesome and for sure cuts down the tedium of running, however the UI behind it is just stupid. Instead of simply opening the map when you click the crystal and allowing players to click their destination they have to for some reason remember the random ass arbitrary names for locations, which will undoubtedly be forgotten almost immediately after using it.

-party UI sucks as a healer / general group member, being unable to see the tank's TP is a hindrance that contains a simple fix, also I haven't seen how they work in a raid setting but if they're anything like the current party model it scares me.

I tried to leave out the petty shit that will more than likely be fixed with release or shortly after, but this is how I got unpolished.

Spring_sl said:
Nah, I own the house ha. Was going to go w/ family, but I told them I was super busy with work (which is true) so they can have the place to themselves. Girlfriend is going without me, leaving me here alone to drink cherry cokes, play games and not workout.

You're my idol.

Stave

Potato del Grande

Came home from a crazy day at work, and am simply not interested in playing anything else at the moment. Have several games ready to play on Steam & Playstation Plus as well, but I can't as I'm absolutely desperate to play this again.... What the fuck is wrong with me. My girlfriend (luckily for her sake) never caught me in my formative "game for 12 hours straight" years, and she was a little surprised by the time I sunk into this over the weekend.
Lol Springbok, careful now. I see some EQ style forever alone breakup in your future!

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
-the quest's are very vague and don't give a good idea where to go the majority of the time, even when you sit there the cut scene and listen to them you're still left hunting on the map trying to find where the actual zone is.

-the Hunting log suffers from the same vagueness and is actually wrong in a lot of places, I did both rank 1 and 2 difficulty hunting logs for Conjurer/Arcanist/Thaum and ran in to things that said X was in certain subzone when it actually wasn't, this was confirmed by just looking at your map.

-the aether crystal/teleport system is awesome and for sure cuts down the tedium of running, however the UI behind it is just stupid. Instead of simply opening the map when you click the crystal and allowing players to click their destination they have to for some reason remember the random ass arbitrary names for locations, which will undoubtedly be forgotten almost immediately after using it.
You're really wrong on these particular issues. The facts are accurate, but your conclusion isn't. It's actually refreshing to have to put some degree of mental effort into these sorts of things. Things aren't obtuse to the point that you can't figure them out, but they're not easy to the point that you shut off your brain while you do them.

I'd much rather have FFXIV's semi-vagueness than Neverwinter's glowing trail syndrome. It's not fun if a game literally hand holds you the entire way through.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Lol Springbok, careful now. I see some EQ style forever alone breakup in your future!
I feel a bit like a recovering heroin addict whose spent the weekend with Slash and Charlie Sheen... I know I shouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did, but I can't stop thinking about all the good times we had together. It's a fine line bro, hahaha.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're really wrong on these particular issues. The facts are accurate, but your conclusion isn't. It's actually refreshing to have to put some degree of mental effort into these sorts of things. Things aren't obtuse to the point that you can't figure them out, but they're not easy to the point that you shut off your brain while you do them.

I'd much rather have FFXIV's semi-vagueness than Neverwinter's glowing trail syndrome. It's not fun if a game literally hand holds you the entire way through.
Except I'm not wrong. Because the vast majority of quest descriptions don't actually go in detail about where the quest is located. I ran in to this problem multiple times, specifically with the story quest. "Go to the Feet of the Sands" or whateverthatplacewascalled. It was easy the first time because I was standing on top of it, completed, got level 20, ran off and played on a different toon, I eventually got back to the story quest did a part in an arbitrary location and got the same message "Got to the blah of Sands" and was fucking LOST because I didn't remember the initial zone or where it was, the map showed zero indication other than just a green circle with a ">" in the middle of the zoomed out map. It wasn't simply that quest either, it happened multiple times where instead of paying attention and reading the quest dialogue to find out the objective and location of your mission you had to just scroll around on the map for 5 minutes.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm

Ill second this. I wish they would take away hunting log locations all together.

spronk

FPS noob
you guys are on crack, the servers are going to be a shitstorm of 3102, 90000, constant crashing, and new character creation being locked most of the time. I doubt they'll even get pre-reg working before the 24th, leaving to a big question of who exactly will even be able to play.

its gonna be fun as hell though, its much more enjoyable playing an MMO where everyone is raging and/or euphoric at being connected than the boring, everything works kind of game. Half the fun of wow launch was scrambling to pick a new server or commiserating about lag or the dreaded knee-to-the-ground.