Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
This lack of communication is pretty much par for the course for basically all asian games, oddly enough. I can't really remember one that would have an issue and keep the community up to date throughout the resolution. It's usually "oh shit, servers down for a full day, time to post a canned response!"

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Paladin vs Warrior seems the same kind of setup as WoW DK vs Pal to me - Pal gets 20% damage reduction and chance to block, War gets 25% extra hp and the ability to create damage shields as part of their combo. That could easily swing either way depending on player damage relative to hp at 50 with good gear. The other consideration is that block is useless against magic damage and, I think, ranged damage. My guess would be that they are tweaking numbers with the intention of them being equal - whether that is the case remains to be seen.

( FYI 20% reduction is exactly the same as 25% hp for EHP - with 10k hp, the largest hit you can survive as paladin is 12500 ( x0.8 = 10000 ), largest hit you can survive as a warrior is 12500 )

There's obviously a potential mana efficiency difference, but it's also too early to say if that makes any practical difference - i.e. do healers reasonably run OOM over a fight ? Do they spend 80% of their time overhealing to cater for damage spikes ? etc. etc.
Here is a pretty good video comparing both classes.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
FINAL FANTASY XIV ?@FF_XIV_EN 5m
We sincerely apologize, but the pre-order redemption site is experiencing very high traffic which we are currently working to resolve. (1/4)
We are adding additional bandwidth and server capacity to ensure that all customers will be able to redeem their pre-order codes... (2/4)
as soon as possible. Early Access starts on August 24th at 2am PDT, and Square Enix is working hard to ensure that... (3/4)
all #FFXIV pre-order customers will be able to download and play the game. (4/4)

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do people actually trust this? I mean its a guy on a message board trying to tell people what is happening. I don't even trust company CS people because they almost never have a clue and just bullshit their way through. I think until it comes from SEs mouth no one knows what's going on.

FINAL FANTASY XIV ?@FF_XIV_EN 5m
We sincerely apologize, but the pre-order redemption site is experiencing very high traffic which we are currently working to resolve. (1/4)
We are adding additional bandwidth and server capacity to ensure that all customers will be able to redeem their pre-order codes... (2/4)
as soon as possible. Early Access starts on August 24th at 2am PDT, and Square Enix is working hard to ensure that... (3/4)
all #FFXIV pre-order customers will be able to download and play the game. (4/4)
which is just about the mad rush to put in pre-order codes, imagine when the masses do that, then come to a region error :p

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
When the time between tweets is 7 hours, you listen to the people looking for the same information you want.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Do people actually trust this? I mean its a guy on a message board trying to tell people what is happening. I don't even trust company CS people because they almost never have a clue and just bullshit their way through. I think until it comes from SEs mouth no one knows what's going on.

which is just about the mad rush to put in pre-order codes, imagine when the masses do that, then come to a region error :p
My personal theory? Some were so impatient for beta access, they have EU accounts (from p3/PS3 codes?) and never realized that MAYBE they need to figure out what they started out with in the first place (because of impatience to be in beta). In other words, shot themselves in the foot because they were so eager to pewpew at the firing range.

I doubt that theory's 100% correct though.

Whether some of it's from pre-order errors, I can hardly say ofc.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm just going to try again tomorrow at this point, apparently people in NA are still getting EU codes if they are actually able to get past this error which then opens up a whole new set of issues.
This. Even if I could get through the first page, I'm worried that people with EU codes will end up going through a very painful process to fix it. Might be better to wait til it's all fixed.

As far as above (Nehrak), people have said they got NA codes from GMG and Amazon and once through still end up with an EU 20-digit code. Probably related to the NA server being down or whatever it is.

Malakriss

UPDATE3

North American site is bugged and is issuing EU codes (beginning with RAAE). Still no news or resolution from SE. Hang tight.

UPDATE4 -https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN

We sincerely apologize, but the pre-order redemption site is experiencing very high traffic which we are currently working to resolve. We are adding additional bandwidth and server capacity to ensure that all customers will be able to redeem their pre-order codes as soon as possible. Early Access starts on August 24th at 2am PDT, and Square Enix is working hard to ensure that all #FFXIV pre-order customers will be able to download and play the game.

UPDATE5 - PackOfHighly

Thank you for submitting the information. We are currently aware of this issue and we are investigating the cause. We are going to escalate this matter to be looked into and we ask for your patience regarding this as look for a resolution. Unfortunately, I don't have an immediate resolution but we are looking into the matter. Please keep attempting to use the code on the account while we look into the issue at hand. Keep checking your e-mail for any updates and check the twitter page for FINAL FANTASY XIV for any announcements.
We know. They know. We know that they know. They know that we know. Everybody knows.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There:

We're aware that some NA users are receiving EU-region codes and are working to address that as well. We'll be sure to keep you updated.

Straight from SE's twitter. Finally acknowledge the second problem, now just to wait. Though I do agree with Elurin, why keep telling people to claim their codes if they are just going to get the wrong EA code.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's why I'm waiting.

And I know they're different servers, but anyone else find it interesting that the client download servers ran so fucking awesome, but a code input website can't handle this traffic? I mean, I downloaded the client at a blazing speed. Seems strange that they'd have such awesome servers for one aspect and such terrible ones for another. Maybe they've got some dicked up database that is having a hard time querying though, I dunno?

Also, funny comment on Reddit: You need to hit redeem 3102 times in order to unlock early access.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
There:

We're aware that some NA users are receiving EU-region codes and are working to address that as well. We'll be sure to keep you updated.

Straight from SE's twitter. Finally acknowledge the second problem, now just to wait. Though I do agree with Elurin, why keep telling people to claim their codes if they are just going to get the wrong EA code.
My personal theory? Some were so impatient for beta access, they have EU accounts (from p3/PS3 codes?) and never realized that MAYBE they need to figure out what they started out with in the first place (because of impatience to be in beta). In other words, shot themselves in the foot because they were so eager to pewpew at the firing range.

I doubt that theory's 100% correct though.

Whether some of it's from pre-order errors, I can hardly say ofc.
lol

turbo

Molten Core Raider
My theory.....WOW brass heard there might actually be a decant player base forming for FFXIV and hacked their twitter account. Makes sense, ghost of furor pissed off he can't play a taru !

Malakriss

They will probably add an option when you enter the code saying "You are a NA user, do you wish to convert this EU code to NA?" and we will all hit yes and move on with our lives.

Vilmz_sl

shitlord
My theory.....WOW brass heard there might actually be a decant player base forming for FFXIV and hacked their twitter account. Makes sense, ghost of furor pissed off he can't play a taru !
Well they did try to confound any FFXIV hype by announcing an overcooked beta card phone game that the 20 year old mmo nubcakes will sit there and actually digest.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Well I got passed this screen

rrr_img_41066.jpg

By using a different username. I think what happened is there are 2 Square Enix accounts. The FFXIV square one, and a regular SE one. I had one on SE using the username that was the same as my FFXIV SE account, so it was making me reregister a new username to link it to a new account instead of making a default one with the same name, because someone already had registered that one (me). So by picking a new username it went through fine. Now I am at error 3, but I am going to hold off until tomorrow or so until they get this EU/NA key thing straightened out because I don't want to deal with more hoops.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Also, saw this on reddit. It is pretty cool, I really do hope this game does well because more players = more content usually (hopefully)

O94YCue.png

I do think that word of mouth really is going to blow this game up like WoW did. Give it a few weeks when they have everything stabilized and this game is going to be a hit. Not WoW size hit, but bigger than SWToR launch hit I bet. Plus you have all the PS3 people that will sub too. Which is probably a bigger pool than PC even. With reddit on Gilgamesh, be prepared for a big influx on that server as all the social medialites will be coming in through word of mouth.

I really do hope this game far succeeds their expectations. In the future, devs and investors will see unpolished shit game = fail, polished = succeed and maybe actually wait until a game is finished to launch it. Also if this game does become a big hit, SE will most definitely want to keep it going as from what I heard, this game was their make it or break game, and if it failed they would probably go under. They NEED to keep this going, and Yoshi-P knows how to keep an MMO going, keep carrots, and content coming. WTB Samurai and Ninja jobs!