Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

ixian_sl

shitlord
I'm guessing if you took a quest in WoW, averaged the quest exp out over ten mob kills and made the quest reward drop off the tenth kill but not have a quest tracker, people would go apeshit over it...
Rift did something kind of like this with their Storm Legion expansion. A lot of the "actual" quest lines were used for story telling; to supplement those, you had "Carnage" quests which would be added to your log upon your first time killing a mob of a certain type, and then after killing the specified number of mobs the quest would auto-complete and you would get your reward. I was sort of mixed on the system. It's one of those things that I can appreciate on an objective level, but I think because of the pacing of the leveling experience I grew to hate it by the time I hit 60, to the point where I felt like I wanted to gag whenever I saw the carnage symbol next to a mob name. I also get that gagging feeling when I see dailies, but there are people out there that enjoy them so I've come to accept that I'm not a good barometer for judging a lot of things.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
Why do you need filler quests? What is so important about having some mundane mini-task to collect/kill all the way to max level? Why do you feel you need that?

I don't feel like it's necessary. I would rather have a single large quest that requires me to gear up, get stronger, craft better, group in places and over a span of multiple levels, solve puzzles, discover areas, etc etc. to finally be able to complete that quest. The quest reward would have to be much nicer and MUCH more meaningful than what MMOs are doing today (quest rewards every 5 minutes that add a few more stats). Make the item actually MEAN something to the player as far as value and time spent to achieve it, the places you explored and the people you met while trying to complete the quest over a span of a longer period of time (perhaps a week). Meanwhile you aren't busy collecting bear asses, instead you are preparing your character in various ways to be able to get that ONE quest item. When you get it, it should be very cool, very exciting, last at LEAST 10-15 levels and offer some really cool functionality (not just +main stats).

I don't need kill X mobs and collect Y bear asses every step of the way to max level.

Really you just need multiple long EPIC quests to max level. These quests should take you around the world on a long journey where you meet new people, have chances to veer off and explore other areas and find other meaningful loot and just simply play the game. That's all you need! Not this stupid collect x and kill y shit every step.

When you don't have all these mini-rails to guide you around doing collect X and kill Y quests, the whole world becomes your playground. You make grouping slightly more efficient than soloing and put some emphasis on socializing and multiplayer of ALL aspects MMO - from grouping to crafting to trading to pvping to whatever. You want players to be inclined to interact with each other and get to know each other in good or bad ways, create that community that we all yearn for. This is just BASIC shit that I can't believe developers don't understand, what now, 13 years into the MMORPG genre?

Edit: SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST, I thought my first post got deleted.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Like I said, that works for one class, but in FFXIV you can have multiple classes on the same character, and it's not like Rift where you have a base character level and only have to level once.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
..I don't see how having multiple classes on the same character changes anything about it. You can still do the same exact thing I was describing without all the collect X and kill Y quests.

Meko

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Rift did something kind of like this with their Storm Legion expansion. A lot of the "actual" quest lines were used for story telling; to supplement those, you had "Carnage" quests which would be added to your log upon your first time killing a mob of a certain type, and then after killing the specified number of mobs the quest would auto-complete and you would get your reward. I was sort of mixed on the system. It's one of those things that I can appreciate on an objective level, but I think because of the pacing of the leveling experience I grew to hate it by the time I hit 60, to the point where I felt like I wanted to gag whenever I saw the carnage symbol next to a mob name. I also get that gagging feeling when I see dailies, but there are people out there that enjoy them so I've come to accept that I'm not a good barometer for judging a lot of things.
FFXI had something similar in it. There were these "Fields of Valor" quests where you had to kill X number of mobs and you got bonus exp for completing it. They have it in FF14 as well in something called "hunting logs" where you get exp bonuses per "section" of the logs then one big bonus exp when you complete it. It also has different levels of the logs (it also has crafting logs and another something logs too).

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
FFXI also was pretty much 100% grinding in parties to level, the "Fields of Valor" weren't added until much later and were mainly to help supplement mobs you were already grinding. They also gave out mana regen and food buffs.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone know if the maximum resolution for this game is 1920x1080? This seems to be the highest resolution I can set on the benchmark. This concerns me as my monitor's resolution is considerably higher.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Window size can be altered by dragging the corners...

Isn't it right now, or am I crazy (or is it tomorrow)?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Well pending some new amazing game coming out before this one, this looks to be my next major time sink of a game. I'm having a blast. I won't break the NDA because they're getting strict about it, but it's really like FFXI with better graphics and controls. Well the job system is anyways.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sorry if this has been asked 100x before but how do i get into beta? Is it open? If its closed, are signups still open?

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I want in on this shit. Someone get me in beta or send me PMs with mad inside infos, please and thanks
smile.png

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
I've signed up on multiple accounts to try to get into beta... I really hope I get an invite. Very excited for this game.

nuday

Golden Squire
Well pending some new amazing game coming out before this one, this looks to be my next major time sink of a game. I'm having a blast. I won't break the NDA because they're getting strict about it, but it's really like FFXI with better graphics and controls. Well the job system is anyways.
I'm really enjoying the beta, as well.