Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Yeah that's what I figured. BST was a pretty niche class, wasn't expecting it to be at launch. It's interesting to see how little chatter there is in this thread since the beta went live. Either that means people hate it so much that they don't write about it (haha, yeah right) or they're actually enjoying it for the most part and don't want to admit it.

Either way, as long as it's pretty much a sequel to XI, I'll be content.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Yeah that's what I figured. BST was a pretty niche class, wasn't expecting it to be at launch. It's interesting to see how little chatter there is in this thread since the beta went live. Either that means people hate it so much that they don't write about it (haha, yeah right) or they're actually enjoying it for the most part and don't want to admit it.

Either way, as long as it's pretty much a sequel to XI, I'll be content.
I had a blast but they are really cracking down on beta leaks so that's why I've been holding back.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I guess other classes were confirmed to be coming as we'll including musketeer, thief, ninja, red mage and blue mage.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
FFXI's implementation of Thief was really so incredible compared to other games.. the amount of movement and positional attacking was great. Not just "oh I can vanish.. and steal sometimes"

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
There was a large notice posted about leaking. And that if you get banned, they ban your SE account (which includes any past characters from 1.0).

I'm enjoying it, and barring something completely terrible from work or an unheard of game coming out, I'll be subbing to it. Hell, I'm actually looking for a copy of 1.0 on the shelf to buy to see if I can get it cheaper that way.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There was a large notice posted about leaking. And that if you get banned, they ban your SE account (which includes any past characters from 1.0).

I'm enjoying it, and barring something completely terrible from work or an unheard of game coming out, I'll be subbing to it. Hell, I'm actually looking for a copy of 1.0 on the shelf to buy to see if I can get it cheaper that way.
I tried this when the game went f2p for awhile and no store carried them, couldn't even find it on Amazon

Sarg_sl

shitlord
Thumbs up from me so far. Dev team appears to have been able to make a game that is worth putting time into... at least to further try out..

Burr

Molten Core Raider
Thumbs up from me so far. Dev team appears to have been able to make a game that is worth putting time into... at least to further try out..
Thumbs up from me too and definitely subbing on release. You can see how much time and effort the dev team put into the remake. Once the NDA is lifted, would be happy to share some insight.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Thumbs up from me too and definitely subbing on release. You can see how much time and effort the dev team put into the remake. Once the NDA is lifted, would be happy to share some insight.
This is all really good to hear. Cannot wait until NDA is lifted or I get the opportunity to beta myself.

Meko

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Supposedly in phase 3 of the beta, all players who bought the game will be able to play (a la open beta) and you'll have your 1.0 account (if applicable) that will carry into the live game (assuming you sub).

lindz

#DDs
Are they planning on opening new servers on rerelease? I understand why they are carrying over characters from 1.0, but I sure hope that they won't be on the same servers as new people. That really hurt FFXI, having a community and economy already in place on NA release.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Are they planning on opening new servers on rerelease? I understand why they are carrying over characters from 1.0, but I sure hope that they won't be on the same servers as new people. That really hurt FFXI, having a community and economy already in place on NA release.
yes there will be new servers with no old characters and also regional servers I think (100% sure on the new servers, less sure on the regional servers)

And ya one thing I hated about ffxi was coming into an established server with guilds already at endgame, and it just made it worse than they were Jp guilds who you could only communicate crudely with.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I've been avoiding saying too much in this thread for a couple of reasons: One, there's not much that can be said that hasn't already been discussed elsewhere without breaking the NDA, and two, based on thebeta roadmapwe're going to see a lot of additions over the next few phases, so I just don't think it's time to start talking about the game yet.

I will say that as someone who played FFXI for far too many years, I am greatly looking forward to this game coming out, as is my friend that I met in FFXI. Even though I've played and enjoyed other MMOs besides FFXI, I just don't feel any attachment to my characters like I did in that game. I will also be curious to see how the population will fare, given that MMOs that crash and burn at launch typically don't recover.

Woolygimp

You guys have definitely gotten the best of my curiosity, and now I want to try this game out! I'll give $150 for an active beta account if any of you may need cash. Just shoot me at PM and we'll get something worked out.

ixian_sl

shitlord
You guys have definitely gotten the best of my curiosity, and now I want to try this game out! I'll give $150 for an active beta account if any of you may need cash. Just shoot me at PM and we'll get something worked out.
Slow down there! :b I don't think it's $150 worth it, especially since there's going to be an open beta phase. Objectively, the game isn't really revolutionary in any way, but I'm okay with that as long as I give a damn about my characters.

Woolygimp

It's not whether the game is worth $150 or not but rather whether the hours of entertainment I'd derive from playing this beta is worth $150. And because people often pay over $15+ to watch ninety minute movies, a beta that would give me possibly hundreds of hours of entertainment seems like a bargain.

Software costs, especially video games, are often so amazingly arbitrary.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
It's not whether the game is worth $150 or not but rather whether the hours of entertainment I'd derive from playing this beta is worth $150. And because people often pay over $15+ to watch ninety minute movies, a beta that would give me possibly hundreds of hours of entertainment seems like a bargain.

Software costs, especially video games, are often so amazingly arbitrary.
Truth.

Cracks me up when I see people balk at subscription fees or F2P purchases then spend $15 on coffee and a combo meal.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is very true. In fact outside of soe legends I'm surprised no one has attempted to tap the 'premium' market. Obviously that soe legends model wouldn't work anymore, however if someone did create a fresh and inventive game I can see a core of people paying top dollar a month for it. The key is offering something complete different or inaccessible to the f2p crowd of games.

Things I may sub 40$/month for - dynamic world PVe and Pvp content actively being moderated and updated by game staff atleast several times a day if not hourly. Stuff like the old Eq gm events, but which are not just occasional perks but an essential and frequent part of the experience