Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Without playing the game in open beta, you guys are just buying into it? It has not all been praises, and this is coming from someone that enjoys the game for what it is. The game is fine if you're looking for a slowed down WoW in a final fantasy universe. The high points in the game are the graphics being solid, engine being optimized really well, and the music. The combat is abit bland and I dont see it magically getting better unless they have skillchains/magicburst added in at some point and be powerful enough to merit setting up for them vs just using your best skills.

I believe about half of people saying how much they are looking forward to playing the game and havent felt like that for xxx, will be some of the first to get bored of the game after they get 50 in their respective classes. Not that its going to slow down, but that the glut of content will be accomplished within 2 months of live and the first big content patch will still be a few months from that.
And?

Not many games, let alone MMOs can provide wall-to-wall progression XYZ into the future. Two months of a solid game is a quality investment. I'm sure that if you want to see er'thing, craft, etc, you're gonna be playing for a long ass time, unless you poopsock. Poopsockers' gon poopsock.

Is this the one we've been all waiting for? No. However, it's nostalgic and fun. It's beautiful and polished. I will have fun till I'm not, and I suspect that it'll take me awhile to grow weary of dat music.

Play the fuckin game and have fun.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
My language was set to blank. I changed it to English (US).

Hell, after that didn't work I set it to UK and Britain and then I set it back to US and it still didn't work.

What a mess.

Why are there even regions in this day and age? Make some fucking servers, let people who buy the game play on them. Group them by ping and inspire people to play on servers close by, but don't force 'em.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I believe about half of people saying how much they are looking forward to playing the game and havent felt like that for xxx, will be some of the first to get bored of the game after they get 50 in their respective classes. Not that its going to slow down, but that the glut of content will be accomplished within 2 months of live and the first big content patch will still be a few months from that.
Quite possibly. It all depends on content creation I think. It has a great atmosphere and aesthetics, but it really depends on how much content they churn out. Either way, I'm pretty certain I'll get a few solid months out of it.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My language was set to blank. I changed it to English (US).

Hell, after that didn't work I set it to UK and Britain and then I set it back to US and it still didn't work.

What a mess.

Why are there even regions in this day and age? Make some fucking servers, let people who buy the game play on them. Group them by ping and inspire people to play on servers close by, but don't force 'em.
What funny is servers are not even locked or anything of that nature. You can play on any server you want, the EU marked ones, the JP ones it doesn't matter :p I assume the region stuff is for billing and such.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
Time to brave the waters of Japanese customer support.

I think I know what the error was, though it didn't come to mind until it was too late - I registered my account for the beta through some German promo code; so I'm assuming it defaulted to EU.

sidewayzzz

Molten Core Raider
I was finally able to successfully redeem my preorder code, and register it via account management in PS3 without a hitch. See you all saturday.

Erie_sl

shitlord
This week has majorly sucked.. and it's getting worse. Little over 2 days ftl. Completely bored all week long after work.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is the game going to cup you softly and lead you into the perfect MMO dream of 50 levels of ecstasy. No.

It will be fun for a few weeks to months depending on your level of jaded assholishness. Then the new smell wears off, the music gets repetitive, the goofy ass monsters start to become annoying rather than endearing, the spackle covering the gaping holes in class design get noticed, and you realise your wonderful virgin MMO bride is blowing asians in the ally for 2 yen.

But the shiny new Jessica Rabbit MMO wildstar is just stretching from a wonderful Beta rest and it will happen all over again.

Open yourself up to love. Buy and play the game. Have fun. And do not worry about the money you spend it is a small price to feel whole again, or at least get fucked sideways for a few weeks.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
My post was to those that had just bought the game without playing the open beta at all and are going on just word of mouth from the guys here. I have the game bought and will have a 90 day service paid for once I can, but Im the type that will tell you "but this is whats wrong with it, and make sure you're aware of it" . It just amazes me that after all the MMOs we've had threads about on FoH and here, that the initial newness of a game that people are gushing over can still sucker people in that havent tested it themselves. I've just seen people do the same shit with other MMOs in the past, then claim NEVER AGAIN. And its like no one else learns from those peoples mistakes. The other thing this game has going for it is the nostalgia linked all throughout the world. I feel alot of the "I dont understand why I am having fun in a game that by all means shouldnt be fun to me" is coming from nostalgia. Seeing cataurs and bombs in a MMO world hits some old chords from back when you're a kid, if you played Final Fantasy on consoles. Same reason why people can still have a small burst of fun playing EQ again.

But its all my opinion. Im sure you all have the best of your lives based on a handful of peoples experiences that were not your own. But I swear I'd boot any one of you that buys into word of mouth without sampling it yourselves and then complains in guild about it.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
"We have sent email to you in America for support customering ticket." (t-minus 45 minutes ago)

(empty inbox)

(check junk mail, check account registration email to ensure it's right)

(do not profit)

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
It's fucking 20 dollars basically to try it for a month. How many 50 dollars games didnt make it a month for many ?

No harm no foul if someone doesn't like it that much they aren't making mortgage decisions.

kahilm_sl

shitlord
dunno if this was already posted or not, but the new nvidia beta drivers are giving me a nice ~10% performance increase in the benchmark.

scores with 326.41 drivers:

1080p @ max - 10073, avg. fps 89.27
1440p @ max - 6954, avg. fps 57.19

with new 326.80 drivers:

1080p @ max - 11439, avg. fps 104.223
1440p @ max - 7657, avg. fps 65.33

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I fail to understand why so many people reference is the price worth it as their deciding point. Even for the young or lazy bastards who have minimum income, the cost is minimal relative to almost ANY other freaking form of entertainment possible outside of mastarbating and even that will run you a few bucks depending on if you like your lotion to smell pretty like a lady.

The real question that I think people need to be focused on is it worth my time investment which is really a function of how you view your free time. For the time 90% of us put into these games the return on investment is so large from an entertaminment value its laughable when people bring it up. I am more worried about if I am going to spend a large portion of my limited free time in this game, is it going to meet my medium/long term needs or am I going to waste all that time. Some people view their free time as something they just want to be doing something they enjoy which is fine, for me I want my free time to feel like its contributing to something (ex: I play basketball routinely to improve my shot and stay in shape so I can compete in games better, I lift because I want to build towards being stronger and look better etc, those are hobbies I enjoy that have a sense of progression in them). There is no "right" way to view ones free time but again, that is how someone one should gauge if they want to buy the game.

If the game has a high risk of you quiting due to X,Y, Z concerns and you value your free time in a certain way or have alot of options on how to spend said free time then you bet don't buy a game. But its literally cents on the hour for entertainment that 90% of us will agree is one of the things we enjoy the most doing. Fuck, i'd pay $50 a month in a heart beat for an MMO if i knew it provided a game that I felt I was going to play for 3-4 years and enjoy. Now that I have a very established professional career and money is not much of a factor, i'd honestly kick in 100 dollars a month for a refreshed vanguard that was modernized abit and had a healthy player base+development cycle.

I digress, anyways FFXIV surely wasn't what I wanted in a dream MMO (i hate unresticted job changes and the GCD on a tank makes me scream) but there is so much I do enjoy with it and I do think the producer will make good general decisions to keep it accessible for the casuals (BOOO but its important to keep sub numbers up to fund development/cs) while still give us that enjoy abit more ball breaker challenge something to chew on. Its my last MMO hope for a long time coming since EQN completely lost me at the class shit.

Lastly, one other concern I had is any notice that unlike most games that each dps usually brings various extra things to the table that encourages 1 or more brought on raids that the FF classes seem to be lacking significant non dps abilities? There are a few but they just don't feel like enough to say hmm we better have a diverse raid make up. Where this scares me at is and means mass class stacking depending on raid dps requirements. I know people can switch classes but I don't think everyone wants to have 1 of each class so they can jump to the FOTM dps class. Just an observation, guess we'll see how the balancing goes. The major p4 change that caught my eye that just bumped raid desire for monks is the change to mantra that makes all near by people to get a 20% increase to healing recieved which is huge if they have heavy raid AE situations (oh god the EQ2 hardmode nightmares).

Oh, also! they went away from the traditional approach of having crits trigger alot of various procs/skills etc, everything is strictly a % base chance of a proc etc and basically nothing triggers/opens up due to crits. Not saying its a bad thing but I always liked that in games because it opened up at least abit of diversity when gearing depending on class structure.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Mostly, assuming you didn't get some beta access code from a European site, created a European acocunt, and then pre-ordered a NA copy of the game. The Regions have to match.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
Mostly, assuming you didn't get some beta access code from a European site, created a European acocunt, and then pre-ordered a NA copy of the game. The Regions have to match.
Don't end up like me. Make sure that your registered account with Square Enix (realizing that there are two different account pages, but this is the one that matters:https://secure.square-enix.com/accou...n?cont=account) are in the same region.

Or tread the waters of Japanese CS with me; up to you.

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
Has the early access issues been dealt with? Planning on pre-ordering from Amazon tomorrow but I'll wait if it's still messed up.
I would say yesterday 99% of the people were having problems with early access. Today it's probably down to like 10-15%. But if you are in that group it fucking sucks. I live in the US and no matter what I do I can't get it to spit out a NA code, I keep getting the damn RAAE code for a different region.

Bain

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just registered my code without a hitch.
frown.png
Sorry to those who are having problems.