Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
So now I'm completely confused by their decision making.

Moogle, Leviathan and Gilgamesh have been locked, as far as I know, from the start of the pre-release. Yet they are the lowest population servers now. Why the fuck haven't they been opened up to create characters on if this is the case?

For christs sake, Exodus has 2x the number of players on it as Leviathan, fucking open up those servers please.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Maybe those servers have more beta 4 characters on them not represented on the chart?
Yes that is correct because you will see the number of new characters made between the 25-26 is under 100 for all three servers. Still they currently have 4 servers close to or over 30k characters on them while Leviathan and Gilgamesh only have around 17k.

I don't understand why they haven't opened up the initial beta 4 servers for characters yet as they are the lowest character population servers.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck it, I hope they stay locked so that when these server issues are fixed, we'll be able to log on much more easily.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I cant believe how they are dropping the ball with what seems to be by word of mouth the first good mmo that shows promise since WoW. They had a real opportunity here and the blew it. Next week for server upgrades/adding servers? Is this 1990? It would seem more servers are just a phone call away. Shit, even if they themselves were hosting this shit,I cant imagine more than 24-48 hours for new hardware to arrive on scene and configured. This just seems to me like something is off. Either they do not want to spend anymore money on this or something else. It just seems like an oddity to me.

I know our smallish business (300 peeps) had a severe server malfunction on site and they had a person here within a few hours replacing racks and configuring shit.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I found this gem today, some numbers but fuck all if I know WTF it means. I think its characters. But someone which knows some Kanji maybe can help out here...

rrr_img_41769.png
If that is accurate, that's over a million characters created, which I'm pretty sure would surpass Rift and probably most everything else this side of WoW and probably TOR.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
thanks for the help guys, i had never pre-ordered on amazon before so i missed the games locker, all set now. derp.

i wanted to chime in to say i'm only level 15 but think this is by far the most beautiful mmo i have played, particularly for how well it performs compared to other games, at least on my middle of the road rig.

also, i always enjoy playing with macros so i found this post very useful in case you missed it on the beta forums:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...-and-commands!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
It's an interesting situation they've put themselves in here - willingly. Its almost like they didn't have ANY confidence this game would be a hit. Strange.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If that is accurate, that's over a million characters created, which I'm pretty sure would surpass Rift and probably most everything else this side of WoW and probably TOR.
That is if each person only created 1 character. Its probably more lik 1.25 or 1.5 to 1 ratio, so that would put the users at 500K-750K which is not bad by any means, but its not TOR numbers. I think TOR had liek 2 million or something in the beginning. shit, AOC had 1 mill.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They already hit 190k concurrent users this weekend, and expect to hit 200,000 when they take the limits off.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/...expected-soon/

I cant believe how they are dropping the ball with what seems to be by word of mouth the first good mmo that shows promise since WoW. They had a real opportunity here and the blew it. Next week for server upgrades/adding servers? Is this 1990? It would seem more servers are just a phone call away. Shit, even if they themselves were hosting this shit,I cant imagine more than 24-48 hours for new hardware to arrive on scene and configured. This just seems to me like something is off. Either they do not want to spend anymore money on this or something else. It just seems like an oddity to me.
Opening new servers has never been the answer on congested MMO launch weeks - it just leads to ghost towns and server merges after the free month is over, which is bad press even if it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Better to keep the servers right at the limit of being stable and improve the current hardware to allow more people on existing servers.

But upgrading capacity on existing servers is more difficult - they are probably making preparations right now, they said it should go into effect early next week.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Opening new servers has never been the answer on congested MMO launch weeks -
It is when you have customers that cannot make characters on any server because they are all on lock down. I understand what you are saying, but sometimes you just have tobite the bullet and do it and deal with the cleanup later. At least all of your paying customers can play.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
A few factors here.
1. Nobody builds for peak volume (nor should they from a business perspective)
2. Nothing else going on right now to compete
3. They didn't plan very well(at all) for these contingencies

Either they grossly underestimated sales or they overestimated their hardware capabilities. My guess is a little of both and communication has taken a back seat with everyone scrambling to not get fired and appease screaming executives which is why they are moving so slowly.

None of that really surprises me and it shouldn't surprise anyone on these forums either.
Hopefully its a lesson to developers and they learn from these mistakes.....but I expect they wont. Successful MMO exceeding revenue expectations will supersede any memory of our pain.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The actual game servers themselves can handle more players as they are currently configured - on the first day of EA they had no limits on how many could login (there was no 1017 error). Where their infrastructure failed was the Instance/Duty Finder server that is cross-server - it didn't work most of Saturday because of the load players were putting on it (mainly because almost every Story Quest and also Dungeons use it to create an instance for the player).

To stop the Duty Finder server from continually dying, their short term solution has been to cap the number of players that can actually log in at one time - Notice how the Duty Finder has been working fine since this was implemented. Side effect is people hammering the login servers trying to get in, causing continuous lobby crashes.

They don't need new World servers to be created, they just need to beef up whatever hardware the Instance server is running on which will allow them to re-open the current World servers to more logins and character creation.

The whole game is built around the Duty Finder and they obviously had no contingency plan for it failing like it did, so it's taking them awhile to come up with solutions.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was going to say I think that chart is only accounts created since early access. But for some reason I'm thinking Gilgamesh was basically locked during that too. Anyone confirm that?

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was going to say I think that chart is only accounts created since early access. But for some reason I'm thinking Gilgamesh was basically locked during that too. Anyone confirm that?
I got on right at EA start time and was able to make 2 toons on Gilg, had 1 already from beta 4. It wasn't open long though I don't think.