Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I kind of prefer MRD tanks so far. Honestly, as long as there's a tank there, I don't care. As far as aggro goes, as a BRD, if I pull aggro it's my own fault usually. I generally wait a second after the tank aggro's originally before throwing stuff on it. I'll usually start with DoT's since they seem to generate less threat (and also the slow ability from LNC/DRG is nice if it sticks, and it does on more bosses than you'd think). I've also been lucky I think in that most people aren't breaking CC. I'm thinking that in a few weeks when the mouthbreathers level up it's going to suck though.

Holy shit are the last 3 fights in the story a close run thing when you got 2 perpetually dead cutscene viewing idiots.
Holy shit is right, that was awful. I joined a group in progress and we had about 30 minutes for the Ultima fight. I figured we had maybe 2 shots at it. Well, we killed it on the first try...yay! So up comes a cutscene, but I've decided recently to skip all of them. Oh fuck, there's ANOTHER Ultima fight after? We're down to about 15 minutes now. And shit, one of our DPS is in the cutscene still. Fuck it, we're almost out of time, let's attack. We get it to like 50% before the guy is out of the cutscene. Kill that one, and it's like...yay again! End cutscene...MOTHERFUCKER ARE YOU KIDDING?! Another boss! At this point I think we had like 6 minutes left. I was pretty sure this meant fail. Oh, and you'd think that DPS would've learned but no, he's stuck in a cutscene for like 4 of the 6 minutes. Luckily we burn that guy down pretty fast (way easier than Ultima) and win with barely any time to spare.

So for those who haven't gotten to the 45+ dungeons yet, tell your groups to skip all the cutscenes and watch that shit at an inn. Otherwise you'll burn the clock up and fail. Fucking retarded that it doesn't pause the clock until everyone is out of cutscenes.

I'll also say that there's definitely some challenge from Stone Vigil on up. If your group isn't on top of it, you'll wipe. I think at that point is where it's finally a case of you being able to lose even if you're not standing in the red shit. Everything prior to that, as long as you don't stand in red shit, you're fine. Even then you still can win. I ran Qarn after I had finished Praetorium since I need to finish the GC hunting log, and the group was terrible. I'd watch the healer not start running out of it until like halfway through the animation and die over and over. The difference in the two fights (Ultima and bosses in Qarn) was amazing to see back to back.

Also, make sure you log out far away from other stuff if you're using a login macro. My brother-in-law apparently logged out too close to a vendor and said it was trying to spam buy shit.

Spawn_sl

shitlord
I know I'm not 50 yet and haven't got to see any of the dungeons past 35. But that last boss in Sunken Temple was a blast. By far the most difficult boss I've tried so far, heard the other dungeons past it are all pretty easy comparatively. But I mourn for anyone who has to try and PUG that lol.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know I'm not 50 yet and haven't got to see any of the dungeons past 35. But that last boss in Sunken Temple was a blast. By far the most difficult boss I've tried so far, heard the other dungeons past it are all pretty easy comparatively. But I mourn for anyone who has to try and PUG that lol.
Yeah, that one is a fucker. I didn't realize that he could sit on any of the 4 walls and cast his large straight line one, as it seemed like the first few times he'd always sit on the far wall. Since he basically flies up in the air and you can't see him anymore, it's kind of a "will I get lucky and actually find him before he kills me."

I enjoy doing the 8 man dungeons more than 4. It seems like there's a bit more leeway for mistakes. That said, the 8 mans also seem to have a fuckload more mechanics to avoid/know.

Mugaaz_sl

shitlord
Demon Wall is the hardest boss I have fought so far in this game. It took our group 12 attempts or so before could finally execute. It's not thats its THAT difficult, but its one of those weakest link type of fights, where the entire group wins or loses based on how good your least skilled player is.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Demon Wall is the hardest boss I have fought so far in this game. It took our group 12 attempts or so before could finally execute. It's not thats its THAT difficult, but its one of those weakest link type of fights, where the entire group wins or loses based on how good your least skilled player is.
LOL wut.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
world full at 9AM PST / Noon est on a weekday. What the fuck.
Yeah, I logged off over the weekend with Pax since I wasn't going to play FFXIV until tonight and assumed I could just log back on this morning. Oops.

Other things to do so not a huge deal, but definitely a bit of a surprise :p

edit> apparently maintenance starts around when I'd get home so kind of irrelevant that I couldn't get on, but was still surprised to see "world full" at 6:30 AM PST on a workday.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
The entire thing, the demon wall fight is a complete joke. As a healer I can just DPS the entire fight in Cleric stance, pop out when adds come and cast like 2 aoe heals, then back to DPS.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Tanks also do get a taunt - it just works a similar same way as Vanilla WoW Warrior taunt - it puts you at threat+1, so you need to start hitting it immediately or it will wander off again. Requires gladiator level 22 - Called Provoke
Ahh, that explains things, my gladiator is at 17 I think. Concentrating on getting MRD to 50 first.

I think I might get GLD to 22 before I finish the story at this point.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Don't know if this has been posted here yet. From their Facebook page:

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn_sl said:
We would like to thank all our customers for their continued support of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Since the beginning of official service on August 27, 2013, the number of users attempting to access the game has significantly exceeded our initial estimates. While we are pleased to see support for the game reach far beyond our expectations, the servers were not prepared to handle this influx of players. As a result, our servers have been pushed beyond maximum capacity. In order to allow access to as many users as possible, we have implemented login and character creation restrictions. We understand, however, that these restrictions have greatly inconvenienced our players.

To resolve this issue, we will be performing maintenance from September 3, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. to September 4, 2013, at 3:00 a.m (PDT), for the purpose of increasing the number of available Worlds, reducing stress on the Duty Finder servers, and increasing the number of concurrent logins allowed for each server.

Because login and character creation restrictions have hindered our ability to provide quality service, all FINAL FANTASY XIV service accounts will receive an additional seven days of free play time. Furthermore, users who have yet to enter their registration codes will receive an additional seven-day trial should they register before 11:59 p.m. (PDT) on September 9, 2013. Moving forward, we will continue monitoring the servers to ensure that quality service and support are provided in a timely manner.

The additional seven days will be reflected on service accounts after maintenance has concluded on September 4, 2013, which can be confirmed by accessing the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station.(http://sqex.to/Msp)

We thank you again for your patience and understanding as we continue to address these issues, and look forward to your continued support of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.
7 free days. Whoop-di-fucking-do.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I agree. I don't know what they COULD offer to make this right, but seven days free seems rather paltry compared to our having to pay to deal with their woeful inability to plan, despite all the interest in the betas and pre-orders.

spronk

FPS noob
There are significant issues with AOEs and the combat engine in the game. If you start a combat animation while the red shit is in a cast, its unclear where the game thinks you are when the boss aoe hits. I've seen time and time again myself being hit by boss AOEs (as a tank) because I did an instant cast while moving out of boss AOE, even though I'm well out of the AOE circle/squares by the time the cast is done. You have to train yourself to not do any combat actions when moving out of AOEs, which is hard behavior to change. I'm sure there are other combat animation/engine desync issues as well, which is why its not always a case of pug groups plain sucking.

The entire thing, the demon wall fight is a complete joke. As a healer I can just DPS the entire fight in Cleric stance, pop out when adds come and cast like 2 aoe heals, then back to DPS.
aren't you still locked out of playing the game because you accidently created a new sub account instead of attaching your key to your headstart account? I guess only pros make mistakes like that.

xzi

Mouthbreather
7 days free? How about free transfers and an apology.

In other news, still haven't been able to log in. Getting bored hitting join server for 3 hours. Hopefully this update will fix it.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
There are significant issues with AOEs and the combat engine in the game. If you start a combat animation while the red shit is in a cast, its unclear where the game thinks you are when the boss aoe hits. I've seen time and time again myself being hit by boss AOEs (as a tank) because I did an instant cast while moving out of boss AOE, even though I'm well out of the AOE circle/squares by the time the cast is done. You have to train yourself to not do any combat actions when moving out of AOEs, which is hard behavior to change. I'm sure there are other combat animation/engine desync issues as well, which is why its not always a case of pug groups plain sucking.

aren't you still locked out of playing the game because you accidently created a new sub account instead of attaching your key to your headstart account? I guess only pros make mistakes like that.
A bug in SE's account page that was rectified days later is some how equivalent to in-game skill in your mind? Shit bro, you've reached a whole new level of retardation.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Lol Square. They are the biggest fucking joke I've ever seen. Such a worthless, piece of shit company.

There are no agents available to chat with you right now. Please try again later.

Column_sl

shitlord
If ithey open up server transfers tonight I may move.

I'm in the top guild on my server , but I'm already seeing allot of fallout going on so its only a matter of time till its done.

If any raiding guild that will be doing serious progression (when they open up that section of the game) wants a white mage with heavy experience in this game send me a private message with what server you are playing on.

Thanks