Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Column_sl

shitlord
They designed it that you had to play a job, taking your main class will still only gain you the same shared classes as the sub job.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Wow wake up to a banned email this morning. I haven't had time to play in a week. Only level 29 with about 27k gil. Aw well f'em the game got boring and stale after a while.
Heh, what did you do to deserve a ban? You certainly don't seem too put off by it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
They designed it that you had to play a job, taking your main class will still only gain you the same shared classes as the sub job.
What? If you're saying that you have access to the same cross-class abilities with your job class as with your main class, you're completely wrong.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I ran the numbers and while I don't have a fully conclusive idea of what might be better, I have a couple semi-informed sense of how THM vs BLM would play out.

Here is what it boils down to from a pure damage perspective:

You gain: Blood for Blood, Internal Release. Essentially (per minute) a 5% dps increase and a 5% crit increase.

You lose: 20 int + class abilities

A ran both setups with a garuda weapon on 3min and some change parses (allowing a full rotation of cooldowns twice, then after cooldown buffs wear off, stop parse). Preliminary results indicate that if you are allowed to sit down and just do deeps with not too much mobility, BLMs are still superior to THMs. There are a couple particular reasons for this: Chaining three cooldowns essentially lose a GCD's worth of a ability, due to the way off GCDs work and their unresponsiveness. Also, BLMs/thm don't benefit as much as other classes as they do not have any off GCD damage abilites. Lastly, unless job gems have hidden modifiers that influence damage, the 20 int stat loss is equalivent to losing around 9.3% damage.

I'd say THM is better for burst situations where you were required to move around quite a bit as while they do lower damage overall (very slight lower damage, 5-10 dps less) they spike damage like crazy.

However, I'm missing some essential information for this picture to become complete: If Int has a softcap or hardcap as some point. If it does, dropping the job gem may make a great deal of sense in a lot of situations.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah , youre right now that I think about it. Thats why everyone loses conjurer abilities when you take up a job.

Either way, the game was designed for you to pick up a job. To pick archer over bard isn't pratical

Maybe with THM you can break that system, dunno

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah , youre right now that I think about it. Thats why everyone loses conjurer abilities when you take up a job.

Either way, the game was designed for you to pick up a job. To pick archer over bard isn't pratical

Maybe with THM you can break that system, dunno
Yeah I am recanting my archer statement after a discussion in irc.

spronk

FPS noob
Wow wake up to a banned email this morning. I haven't had time to play in a week. Only level 29 with about 27k gil. Aw well f'em the game got boring and stale after a while.
your account probably got hacked and was gold spamming, but yeah nothing really that good lost when you stop playing this game. zero day subs expire in 5 days, dropoff should be pretty huge, but I'm sure a lot of people will come back to check out 2.1

Column_sl

shitlord
I feel bad for the director of this cause I believe he put his own money in to finance it.
So they put in all this new hardware for a game that will probly lose more then half of its player base when they have to pay for it.

The game had potential to be very good, but it is broken in so many ways now I doubt it will ever be fixed.

I pretty much log in 2 nights a week to clear up to turn 5, but I believe when my time runs out I will not be subbing.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'll end up subscribing, but I haven't been able to log in to the game in the last couple days (week?) because of IRL stuff. Probably will continue to play for a while.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Sorry it was early should have stated that they claim I was selling gil?!? LoL worthy since I have not seen an email about being hacked so dunno what they are going on about. No big deal anyway we have a two year old and he is a hand full anyway
smile.png
Not like watching my Falcons are worth my time, would think I have learned watching them for nearly 30 years sigh.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I probably won't sub. I didn't play at all Sunday, usually a bad sign for a MMO and me. At this point my options are all just CM / AK grinds for gear, and finish pushing through Hydra then HMs for my relic weapon. Which I'd like to do, but not for subbing another month. I could also grind up crafting, which I had started on....but holy crap that's boring and really really pointless (since I give fuck all about amassing gil).

Really enjoyed my month with the game though, definitely got way beyond my $22.50 out of it. Good game.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sorry it was early should have stated that they claim I was selling gil?!? LoL worthy since I have not seen an email about being hacked so dunno what they are going on about. No big deal anyway we have a two year old and he is a hand full anyway
smile.png
Not like watching my Falcons are worth my time, would think I have learned watching them for nearly 30 years sigh.
Fuck you and your falcons.

Signed, a 1998 Vikes fan.

Tol_sl

shitlord
your account probably got hacked and was gold spamming, but yeah nothing really that good lost when you stop playing this game. zero day subs expire in 5 days, dropoff should be pretty huge, but I'm sure a lot of people will come back to check out 2.1
This happened to my friend last week too, and I never saw him online when he wasn't actually playing. He emailed square over a week ago and hasn't gotten a response. I'm seriously debating if I want to give them any money right now if there aren't any playtime cards available, because it sounds like SE just does not have their shit together in any capacity.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
^ This.

The vast majority of MMO gamers have some sort of smartphone, and there are free token apps available for this game. If someone happens to be a luddite and refuses to get a phone, the physical authenticator is super cheap. I'll never understand why people don't use them.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I've never had someone access my account on anything, ever. I just assumed most people get fished with scam emails and re-use passwords on every site they visit.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
the 20 int stat loss is equalivent to losing around 9.3% damage.
This is where you're going wrong. 20 int to someone using a garuda weapon and either darklight (or god forbid a mix of ak/darklight gear) is a much bigger portion of your overall stats than someone who's using full Allagan. All the ilvl90 stuff counts as a 50% increase over to the ilvl70 stuff when it comes to base stats (ie: 12 int armor becomes 18 int armor, etc). The abilities THM has access to scale on a percentage basis with your gear, whereas the BLM int bonus stays static. Also, burst damage (within 30-40s windows) is highly important with the direction they're taking the end game right now. Mechanics like Heart/Gaol/Conflag/Twin adds all encourage the ability to go into "blow shit up mode" for short periods of time.