Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
^^^ Thats the entire reason. Who wants all that responsibility?

Yeah, the solution is not like GW2 did it, and lets all tank, heal and dps, cause that shit is even worse. The trick is to somehow attract players to play more of those roles, not by getting rid of the trinity and giving everyone all the skills. Also, yeah, the 6 man groups would definitely help. Requiring that 50% of your group is heals and tanks, your setting the game up for queue fail.

And also fuck those bitching about the queue, roll up a fucking tank then.

Column_sl

shitlord
Tanks have 30 min ques for AK, doesn't make a difference cause you sure as hell wont pug an AK with shitty dps when your relic crew can do it in 20 min.

Does anyone even wait for castrum?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I have, on average, a 5 second queue for AK as a tank, if that. Not that I would ever DF AK again. Fuck that.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tanks have 30 min ques for AK, doesn't make a difference cause you sure as hell wont pug an AK with shitty dps when your relic crew can do it in 20 min.

Does anyone even wait for castrum?
Well I know they were having just a back log of groups, even full ones, trying to get into AK at one point? But any time I queue on my Paladin, its instant queue for me. Dont know what to tell ya?

I also run into some "Ok" groups that dont do to bad. You wont clear the dungeon in 25 minutes, but 30-35 isnt unrealistic. You can usually tell how your group is going to go in the dungeon on the first pack. If they let the monk summon the Gargoyle.. be prepared for a longer run/fail.

Column_sl

shitlord
Like I said who ques into a pug as a tank for AK?

A tanks is going to take people that can get him through fast, so your point of tanks getting instant ques doesnt work.
And I play a white mage, the ques are just as fast, but fuck queing into pugs.

And like I said do people even wait for castrum?

spronk

FPS noob
it look a long, long, long time for wow to implement some solutions but until someone (EQN?) comes up with something better MMOs really need to

1. make tanks the highest DPS class in game while they are tanking. wow implemented the vengeance mechanic, which gave a dps buff while you are getting hit, the harder you get hit the more DPS you do. A huge chunk of any MMO population are DPS meter whores, and they literally get buzzed from seeing their names at the top of every meter parse. make tanks always #1 and you will see a lot more tanks.

2. don't tie leveling shit to regular dungeons. its kinda bizarre, ff14 already implements solo instances and guildhests, but shoves people into regular dungeons as part of the story quest. No one is learning shit leveling anyways, people are zerging fates in bikinis using no job crystals. Dungeons should be something people want to do (more XP, better gear for leveling, crafting mats) not something you are stuck with and unable to complete your story quest without doing.

3. its ridiculously silly to have dungeons be tank/healer/2 dps. Should be tank/healer/3-5 dps. Not only will this help with queues, but will positively reinforce people playing tanks/healers since they will get better chances at loot (no competition).

4. implement queuing bonuses for the current role in demand, in realtime. not enough tanks, well tanks get an extra 1000 gil and a bag with a chance at a pet or crafting materials. Should always be flavor/crafting stuff, not extra tokens or gear.

sadly I doubt we'll see any of this, or done in ways that make little sense and far too little, too late.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I feel like I'm one of the few people who actually enjoys tanking just for the sake of doing my job well and making sure no damage is ever directed at my DPS. I took great pride in it in WoW as a full Prot warrior and I do it in basically every MMO I play. If a tank does his job well it should give the DPS a green light to go balls to the walls without worrying about breaking threat off the tank. Generally that isn't an issue in raiding and I don't know about this game in particular but an excellent tank (not just good, one that wasn't afraid to stance juggle and knew when to stop threating one target to gain on another) in WoW vanilla could make PUG clears move at his desired speed.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
If you are a tank and you are not queing for a df group in AK or CM, you are wasting a lot of time.

Column_sl

shitlord
Unfortunatelly White mage threat is so severe, no matter how good a job you do he can rip a mob off you instantly

I wrote a Tutorial on how to manage WHM threat in there broken ass system, but even doing your best job of trying to not taunt off the tank it will occasionally happen.

Column_sl

shitlord
If you are a tank and you are not queing for a df group in AK or CM, you are wasting a lot of time.
Maybe im seeing this from a way diffrent perspective because my guild is decked out, but if you are doing just point runs then its way faster to do primals.

If you are doing Philosophy stones, then you do a premade for castrum.

I personally wouldnt pug any of that shit, people are fucking horrible at this game, and will waist your time.

Tenks

Well broken mechanics are broken mechanics. If the healing of a WHM outsteps the amount of AOE threat a tank can produce then it is moot. Unless the tank isn't using his defensive abilities properly and is requiring more healing than necessary. Like I said to this game I'm a newbie so I don't know the ins and outs of end game tanking. Fuck I haven't even done a dungeon yet.

Column_sl

shitlord
So yeah in the end game you will need allot of healing, and will always need to be topped off.

Managing white mage threat is a like a game within itself.

Tol_sl

shitlord
1. make tanks the highest DPS class in game while they are tanking. wow implemented the vengeance mechanic, which gave a dps buff while you are getting hit, the harder you get hit the more DPS you do. A huge chunk of any MMO population are DPS meter whores, and they literally get buzzed from seeing their names at the top of every meter parse. make tanks always #1 and you will see a lot more tanks.
Then doesn't tank and dps just become the same role? Or if it's only "while tanking", doesn't it come down to the same situation of having a few main tanks but the others have subpar dps (and then reroll dps or whatever, anyway?)

spronk

FPS noob
Well broken mechanics are broken mechanics. If the healing of a WHM outsteps the amount of AOE threat a tank can produce then it is moot. Unless the tank isn't using his defensive abilities properly and is requiring more healing than necessary. Like I said to this game I'm a newbie so I don't know the ins and outs of end game tanking. Fuck I haven't even done a dungeon yet.
there are technical flaws in the game that make threat a bit of a ... inelegant system. Overhealing gets counted as regular threat. Yup, including AOE heals. There are multiplier issues with the combat engine, people have mathematically shown things like shield oath and defiance do not work the way the tooltips say. There are bizarre race/religion issues, people in identical gear are out-threating each other consistently and the only difference is character race, birthdate, and religion choice. Warrior tanks have no taunt, fortunately they can x-class it but need to level gladiator to 22. Can probably list a dozen other things, that make tanking in this game a bit of a suckfest. Healers have it worse though in many ways, but again things you don't really pick up on until you are running the late stage dungeons and raids. None of this manifests itself when you are leveling, since the 1-45 dungeons are all snoozefests.

Column_sl

shitlord
The biggest agro ripper right now is any kind of regen.

And it continues to persist through a deagro, so in otherwords if I take my threat down by half the regen is still catching up.

You need regen tho, so its a tightrope of watching your meter, and timing half de agros with worrying about when a boss will split.
There is allot of shit going on at the same time, and you have to move out of mechanics.

You do get used to it, but tanks have a rough time in FF14 at end game They must keep agro at all times if the WHM is doing his job correctly.

They just need to fix WHM threat, and everything will be fine.

Tenks

I know in WoW they had to tweak the threat healing caused as well. It shouldn't be a major to-do to simply decrease the threat it creates by a percentage across the board if it is truly broken.