Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Most "hacks" aren't complicated shit. Hell most of them are just spamming logins with lists of logins/passes that were stolen from other places and getting a bunch of accounts from people who are really lax about account security. Then you have phishing, and sometimes keyloggers and co. Once you get to that realm though, it's hard not to get hacked. Granted it's even easier in FFXIV is what people said is true and the session IDs aren't being wiped for several days but if you have keyloggers/trojans/virus(ii) on your computer, you're gonna have a bad time, regardless.

As for modifying the database directly I'd like to see a video of it being done. The carpenter insta 50 shit looked close, but as far as we can tell it could be just a shitty exploit or a very fast bot using teleport and actually turning in leves(why he'd have leves though is another question, so still leaning toward exploit). The whole you can open trade and steal money from people seems weird as fuck, if you can do that why can't you just open your retainer and put any value you want, that'd be easier.
Its an exploit with the turn in timer somehow bugged and warping. People from OC and other bot forums have looked into it, shit that got their attention just as much as it did all the OMG THERES AN EXPLOIT the games dead crowd. They just want to use it to exploit and usually know how to crack exploits like that (its what their website is designed to discuss).

axeman_sl

shitlord
Curious -- where does this number come from?
It's not some officially announced feature, but every game has a minimum effective latency due to netcode and such. FFXIV's effective latency has been estimated to be 300ms, largely due to being built with consoles in mind. The game has notoriously slow client-server communication by design, especially with positional checks. You'll also notice a considerable delay between client-side actions/movement showing up for other players, which is very obvious if you ever run the game on two machines in the same room. Try landing melee attacks on a moving mob and you'll see it as well. I'm sure everyone here is aware of these things, considering how it's literally the most frequently voiced complaint about the game. See threads likethisfor more discussion.

Bit odd to be called a liar when describing some of the game's most obvious issues, it's not as if these delays are an obscure topic that never comes up. You've all experienced it every day you've played this game.

People should stop trying to compare to a what a game launched with in 2004.
They've forced themselves to be compared to that game by offering nothing other than what that game provides. One of this game's defining characteristics is that it's a "traditional" MMORPG that doesn't try to do anything new. What the fuck else are people going to compare it to other than the game of which, aside from the setting and a select few minor features like multiclassing and housing,every single thingin this one is a copy? Being a traditional MMORPG was one of the best things about it, but they needed to then actually imitate well instead of making every feature worse than in the game they're copying. FFXIV has nothing going for it except being new, all the gameplay features are a step back from current standards.

If I make a movie about two rural homosexuals who need to take a magic bracelet to a distant land and destroy it under the guidance of an elderly magician while being pursued by a horde of evil monsters and nine ghosts on horses, it's pretty fair to compare my movie to the Lord of the Rings. You can't make a product that does exactly what another one does and be excused of comparisons. WoW is the Godwin of the MMORPG genre, every discussion immediately becomes about it and some people seem to think it can be used to disprove every argument. It's really fucking stupid.

If you make a game that's worse than WoW in every way and offers nothing else, criticism is warranted. The fact that that game came out almost ten years ago only makes it even more embarrassing and failtastic to not improve on anything that game has.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
That lag and AE recticle latency is a huge complaint from everyone. The first things my buddies who started this week like everyone else notice and complain about. I kept my mouth shut for the first 2 just so I could hear - look where i died I wasnt standing in it !!! and then I ruined the fun and told them its everyone =((

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can someone explain to me why I am enjoying this game more than any mmo since vanilla wow? I see all the complaints and logically I feel I agree with them. On paper it's as content barren and in some ways even worse than swtor , but I couldn't even play that for two weeks, but this game I am already leveling my third class to 50

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
So basically your post is "If you run Windows with hardly any security and do dumb shit you can get fucked by viruses." No fucking shit Sherlock.
If we ignore the fact that SSL is not always secure, you're more or less right, but you're discounting the idea of a MITM entirely here. Why? Do you think that all FFXIV related sites are somehow immune to malware? You do remember that Rerolled had a trojan warning in an ad pane not too long ago, right?

By the way, this:

1. open cmd prompt (regular user no admin required)
2. wmic /output:%temp%\processinfo.txt path win32_process get Caption,Processid,Commandline
3. notepad %temp%\processinfo.txt
4. search for ffxiv.exe, copy and paste "DEV.TestSID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" into a new reddit thread
5. profit
does not require admin in any way (as stated above, and just tested by me on my current workstation, which has full UAC on). So your point of "hardly any security" is entirely moot.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Can someone explain to me why I am enjoying this game more than any mmo since vanilla wow? I see all the complaints and logically I feel I agree with them. On paper it's as content barren and in some ways even worse than swtor , but I couldn't even play that for two weeks, but this game I am already leveling my third class to 50
I'm with you and sub'd for 90 days as I know I'll at least be playing through Xmas.

Not sure of your reasons , but for me, I've already lasted longer (mid Aug to now ), than all of the shit that's been released in the past few years. Compared to GW2 , Neverwinter , TERA , TSW , SWTOR , and so on , I just enjoy the game more overall.

So I think it's benefiting from it's competition is either an AOE/horrific class system shitfest or really , really terribly F2P games.

axeman_sl

shitlord
It's new. That's pretty much it. The biggest problem with WoW these days is that nothing you do is special, you're just one in a million doing the same thing as everyone else and nobody gives a flying fuck because there's nothing impressive about it. A new MMORPG is the opposite, that's why people flock to them every time. It's a chance for your accomplishments to matter and be recognized, it's a chance to do something that hasn't already been done a thousand times over.

S-E had the good sense to release during a drought in the genre, which is buying them a lot of goodwill that they wouldn't otherwise get. They've released a traditional MMORPG after people got sick of gimmicky innovation that didn't work, and they've done it at a time when the market was baying for a new major title. That has inflated the praise and bought them a hell of a lot more patience than they frankly deserve, but they're running out of leeway now after people are discoveing just how poor quality the product is and how utterly inept the dev team is in dealing with problems.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If we ignore the fact that SSL is not always secure, you're more or less right, but you're discounting the idea of a MITM entirely here. Why? Do you think that all FFXIV related sites are somehow immune to malware? You do remember that Rerolled had a trojan warning in an ad pane not too long ago, right?

By the way, this:

does not require admin in any way (as stated above, and just tested by me on my current workstation, which has full UAC on). So your point of "hardly any security" is entirely moot.
I'm really confused what you're trying to get at. The SID is sent encrypted over HTTPS via invocation from the launcher. So a MITM couldn't intercept it unless it knows both parts of the security, which it wouldn't. How does malware on a fansite factor into this? Are we now talking about if you don't have a token and someone steals your SE login you put somewhere? As for the second part are we now saying a virus is going to open up command prompts, copy shit into a notepad and send it out?

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
What server are you on hooker? Xfer to Gilgamesh.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
There is so much wrong with this post that I'm not even sure where to begin. But, here we go.

1. Yes, you can "just go" to their login server and get to "the page". HTTP is a query-response protocol. You provide the session ID within the proper request, you get a login ticket. That's generally how sessions authenticated via HTTP work. Granted, the ticket will be useless to you unless you're using it to provide the client with authentication, but that's the point, isn't it?

2. "Nearly impossible with the current security procedures in Windows"? Are you high? Let's dissect this one.

a. I'd bet my favourite hat that most gamers immediately turn UAC off, never looking back. I don't have a favourite hat. I'll go buy one if I'm wrong here, but I'm not wrong on this.

b. "You'd need admin access to the machine": Most of today's computer problems are solved by "run it as Administrator". Immediately. With no troubleshooting or thought process.

c. "You'd have to download a virus and let it run as admin": See a. and b. If you're running everything as an administrator, or you've disabled UAC, everything you download can "run as admin" if it chooses to do so. Not that we really "download" viruses anymore, as many of them are malicious content delivered by web, but anyway... yeah. You're probably running it as admin anyway.

d. Notwithstanding c., you don't even need to be an administrator to do various things. For example, you don't need to be an administrator to access the clipboard (for people that copy/paste their passwords because they figure that can't be keylogged).

I sincerely hope you're not in IT for a living.
None of your points are wrong, but there's nothing S-E or any company can do security wise if you allow a virus to run on your computer.

No one is going to guess the hash key as its 128 characters long which means they MUST get access to your computer via physical means or you stupidly downloading something you shouldn't or going to a website you shouldn't trust. Just running Windows MSE and being careful on what I click I haven't had a virus in over 5 years, it's not that hard.

Granted it's even easier in FFXIV is what people said is true and the session IDs aren't being wiped for several days but if you have keyloggers/trojans/virus(ii) on your computer, you're gonna have a bad time, regardless.
The session ID's are wiped every time you log in to the launcher. So if you log out and don't log back in for several days then yeah the ID would stick around until it naturally expires.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The game has some enjoyable content. It also has without a doubt the worst backend/systems design out of any MMO I can think of in the last decade. And anyone who disputes either of those things is a fucking liar.

Listing out individual gripes would take more effort than I care to give, but someone mentioned leveling/story and I have to say that this game had the worst quest/story flow of any game (mmo or otherwise) I have ever played. Talk to this person, cross the world, talk to this person, cross the world, talk to this person - ho-ly-shit. Sometimes new quests will open up when you travel, but usually not. Why is every zone broken up into tiny little chunks of level ranges? Is this their solution for their inexplicably shit horrible systems design that forces them to cap zones at 800(?) players? (hard cap coming in patch, good luck getting into north thanalan!)

Some shitbird even said the game runs better than wow. Hey, dumbass, I remember the entire population of the server being funneled into ONE zone at the start of some expansions (and two for the rest) without the zones crashing or needing to be hard-capped. The difference is, WoW doesn't have culling - and it probably should, but not if it sucks as badly as FF14's implementation. (lets cull out THE MONSTER YOU ARE ATTACKING, FUCKING WHAT?)

No, I'm sorry, the first statement stands.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Has the lua/JSON thing above been confirmed yet? If so, I think this game takes the prize.

Tenks

Yeah if you can just send some JSON to the server and it applies it to the database then they really screwed the pooch. However I assume if it was that easy you'd see things extremely fucked in the economy. Because you could literally flood all your toons with max gold with a simple button. I haven't seen anything to indicate that is happening.

axeman_sl

shitlord
You mean like huge numbers of players having their gil confiscated, RMT prices dropping by 50% per week, and S-E having to urgently blanket-suspend every player with more than 8mil on them?

Tenks

That was a completely separate issue. Wasn't all that gold mostly linked to the ability to buy something and sell it back at profit and just running bots doing that?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fireworks had a vendor price of 10 gil so people would buy all wet bombard ash on the market for 2, hand in and then immediately vendor the fireworks. Combined with teleports and fast-handin/fast-sell hacks it would generate millions an hour

Sean_sl

shitlord
It is a fun game for a while. You reallywantto like it. At some point though you will get tired of putting up with its shit. And it has alotof shit that it makes you put up with.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Curious -- where does this number come from?
Out of his arse, he's never played with a 300ms ping,ever.
Directly from that old Yoshi P post:
"Being an online game, there will always be a minimal delay when input is received from the player and sent back after being processed by the server. In FFXIV: ARR, your position is checked by the server once every 0.3 seconds. This timing is synced and processed according to the servers to prevent lag between your input and what you see."

This is what people are talking about when they mention the 300ms built-in. It's not 300 so much as 0-300 randomly based on when the server chooses to poll. It was in a beta thread so you can't view it anymore directly (shows as maintenance) but you can google it easily enough.