Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Stave

Potato del Grande
My faith in a miracle patch is nil. They've made so many mistakes that scream "we haven't got the slightest clue what makes a good MMORPG" that them suddenly figuring it out in a couple of months, when they couldn't in like eight years over the course of two launches, is a pipe dream.
Except it doesn't need a "miracle patch". They did get it right, it is a great mmo, easily the best since WoW. Pretty much everyone here has said it is a fun/genuinely solid game and was well worth their money. How many other MMO's have people said that about. The core game is great. It's main problem needs at this point more fun stuff to do at end game, and all of these subs would have stuck around. People aren't quitting over little shit like right click blacklist names and other QoL things. When a game's main problem is lack of content, and not fundamental game breaking flaws, I'm pretty sure they have "figured it out" and I have no doubt they will add more content and fix the little things along the way.

Stave

Potato del Grande
people still play lotro, aion, etc so yeah this game isn't going anywhere anytime soon. you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is really enthusiastic about the game and sells it to friends, the best you can say is "eh... its kinda fun for a while, but the devs are pretty clueless"

its a totally great game to bot, cheat, hack, etc in though which is rare in MMOs nowadays, most are pretty firm on insta banning anyone who does anything shady. The number of hacks in this game is insane, people have figured out how to memory edit trade window variables so you can actually steal money from people who click trade with you. its also probably the easiest mmo to steal other peoples account info, I hope nobody here has put their cc info into square's backend because its not a matter of if that gets hacked, just when.
Lol wut? Source? I am pretty sure I read somewhere that some WoW fanboy's kid's mom's brother's uncle's dog's neighbor can type in some binary into chat and it will force your character to give them a virtual handjob and a moneyshot of all your gil to them. I'm all for calling a game on it's flaws but a lot of this shit is rumors and people have been called on it. Anyways, use paypal to sub. And it's the same system that FFXI has been using for many many years and never been hacked, so anyways...

Skrigg

Golden Squire
rrr_img_46068.png

sticktastic_sl

shitlord
My faith in a miracle patch is nil. They've made so many mistakes that scream "we haven't got the slightest clue what makes a good MMORPG" that them suddenly figuring it out in a couple of months, when they couldn't in like eight years over the course of two launches, is a pipe dream.
Yeah I agree. It's really sad how they (or any mmo company that currently has a mmo out right now) either refuses to take chances on something that will (could) work or just has important features that cause more harm than good. I mean look at how forgiving the MMO community was when this was in beta and re-release...we let them get away with it TWICE...how does that happen? I just want to see some company...any company...give us the nuts and bolts of a MMO, non instanced dungeons (god forbid their game have some sort of in game community) and working crafting/pvp without all the bullshit gimmicks and failed attempts to reinvent the wheel.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Except it doesn't need a "miracle patch". They did get it right, it is a great mmo, easily the best since WoW. Pretty much everyone here has said it is a fun/genuinely solid game and was well worth their money. How many other MMO's have people said that about. The core game is great. It's main problem needs at this point more fun stuff to do at end game, and all of these subs would have stuck around. People aren't quitting over little shit like right click blacklist names and other QoL things. When a game's main problem is lack of content, and not fundamental game breaking flaws, I'm pretty sure they have "figured it out" and I have no doubt they will add more content and fix the little things along the way.
The main reason most MMORPGs in the last six years have failed is because they tried to innovate the genre. That's very different from simply designing a game where every feature and aspect of gameplay is worse than the main competitor. A game like GW2, for instance, isn't expected to deliver the same level of itemization design or dungeon variety as WoW because that game was meant to provide something different. It didn't really work out all that well, but that's a different matter entirely. FFXIV tries to do exactly what WoW does, it makes no attempt whatsoever to provide something new, but then tragically fails to improve on anything at all; rather they've regressed ten years in the MMORPG development timeline on many fronts, creating a game that feels more like the precursor to the game they've forced themselves to compete with by doing nothing different than that game.

It goes way beyond QoL issues. This isn't going to become a great game with a few light patches that paper over the cracks. It has a number of enormous flaws and problems, among which, to name a few, are:

- No class specialization whatsoever, there simply aren't builds or serious customization choices
- Probably the smallest item pool in MMORPG history with only one piece of equipment per tier for each slot, except ilvl90
- One valid dungeon per tier, forcing players to run the same instance over and over and over and over
- Utterly broken class(es) that the developers insist is fine and it's just every single player of that class being bad at the game
- Unspeakably bad server infrastructure and lack of regional servers for most parts of the world
- Unbearable 2.5 second global cooldown, extremely sluggish combat, unresponsive controls
- Poor general combat system with severe over-emphasis on step-out-of-the-AoE as almost the only fight dynamic
- Fundamentally broken, unsustainable economic model
- Pitifully primitive and one-dimensional class mechanics, skills and mechanics have less depth than vanilla WoW's
- Completely broken leveling system where the only viable source of exp with alts is mindless FATE leeching
- Anyone with any clue can tell that this game's PvP will be hysterically awful
- Retarded party size vs. raid format which exacerbates the queue time issue for DPS and guarantees problems with tank demand in raids

They didn't get dick right and it's not a great MMO unless your standards are very low. They made rookie mistakes, they've recreated problems that were fixed years ago, they've worsened issues that already existed in the genre, and they've created a game so primitive and shallow that there basically isn't a platform for any kind of theorycrafting or discussion. Look at this forum, or anywhere else. There's nothing to talk about regarding the actual game because it's less complex than DAoC. They've taken all the things WoW offers and imitated them except worse, offering nowhere near the diversity of content or classes, the intricacy of itemization, the fluidity of gameplay or the depth of combat and skill mechanics that people have enjoyed for nearly a decade in the game that they're inevitably being compared to because they chose not to do anything beyond that.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Wow. Tragic. This game showed promise at first glance but is speeding so rapidly towards failure that it's just depressing. Scratch the surface anywhere and you quickly realize just how plain incompetent the developers are. Like they've only just managed to get some grasp on the art of imitation, the rest is lost to them and they clearly haven't got a clue how to make an MMORPG that holds up to any kind of scrutiny. They've botched basically everything, but they've made it sound good when described in a review.

It's also hilariously easy to steal accounts because their launcher is garbage. You only need to grab the session ID, this will let you log into an account without needing the username, password or authenticator. The launcher is just a skin for a website login procedure instead of an in-game one, and it's not very hard to capture a session ID. Hackers won't need to buy databases of compromised usernames or distribute keyloggers, they can just create a very simple "virus" (or even just exploiting their already amateurish website) that snoops the session ID from the primitive launcher. These session IDs never expire and can be used to log into an account, circumventing the entire password and authentication process. It's likely that any decent programmer can do this with ease. It could also happen via compromised ad networks and spread through legitimate fan websites, remember when ZAM banners had malware? I bet most of you fuckers downloaded one of those damage parsers, too. This is probably the least secure MMORPG in recent memory.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Wow. Tragic. This game showed promise at first glance but is speeding so rapidly towards failure that it's just depressing. Scratch the surface anywhere and you quickly realize just how plain incompetent the developers are. Like they've only just managed to get some grasp on the art of imitation, the rest is lost to them and they clearly haven't got a clue how to make an MMORPG that holds up to any kind of scrutiny. They've botched basically everything, but they've made it sound good when described in a review.

It's also hilariously easy to steal accounts because their launcher is garbage. You only need to grab the session ID, this will let you log into an account without needing the username, password or authenticator. The launcher is just a skin for a website login procedure instead of an in-game one, and it's not very hard to capture a session ID. Hackers won't need to buy databases of compromised usernames or distribute keyloggers, they can just create a very simple "virus" (or even just exploiting their already amateurish website) that snoops the session ID from the primitive launcher. These session IDs never expire and can be used to log into an account, circumventing the entire password and authentication process. It's likely that any decent programmer can do this with ease. It could also happen via compromised ad networks and spread through legitimate fan websites, remember when ZAM banners had malware? This is probably the least secure MMORPG in recent memory.
This is a bit of mis-information. Their launcher uses HTML but still requires to client to actually work. It isn't like you can just go to login.ffxiv.com and get to the page. Next the session ID is a gigantic hash. So literally you need to grab someone else's session ID. Which is nearly impossible with the current security procedures in Windows. You'd need admin access to the machine. Basically you'd have to download a virus and let it run as admin.

Stave

Potato del Grande
The main reason most MMORPGs in the last six years have failed is because they tried to innovate the genre. That's very different from simply designing a game where every feature and aspect of gameplay is worse than the main competitor. A game like GW2, for instance, isn't expected to deliver the same level of itemization design or dungeon variety as WoW because that game was meant to provide something different. It didn't really work out all that well, but that's a different matter entirely. FFXIV tries to do exactly what WoW does, it makes no attempt whatsoever to provide something new, but then tragically fails to improve on anything at all; rather they've regressed ten years in the MMORPG development timeline on many fronts, creating a game that feels more like the precursor to the game they've forced themselves to compete with by doing nothing different than that game.
FFXIV doesn't come across as trying to clone WoW to me. It's not based around factions or PVP, it's got an actual storyline, cutscenes, multi-classes, etc. The only way it is like WoW, is that it has quests for leveling, and instanced dungeons. To me it actually does improve on some things I hated about WoW. Things like multi-classes, much more enjoyable tradeskills, much better graphics, much more of an actual community, fun boss fights with unique looking gear (primals). And this is all at launch. Compare this to WoW at launch. I'm sorry you guys feel that every MMO that comes out now should be WoW +1 just because it is 2013, but not every company has Blizzard/Activisions billions to just throw around, and the ones that did like EA learned real fast with shit like SWToR. To me it feels like FFXI 2, rather than some WoW clone. And I like some of the 10 year old parts of MMO's to be honest. Some of the new shit kids now days like, is crap. Anyways I wouldn't have normally taken the time to reply, but you took the time to write up points you don't like, so I will respond.

It goes way beyond QoL issues. This isn't going to become a great game with a few light patches that paper over the cracks. It has a number of enormous flaws and problems, among which, to name a few, are:
Again mostly opinion here, as these are not game breaking flaws, at least not in the sense of hero engine, etc.

- No class specialization whatsoever, there simply aren't builds or serious customization choices
Not a bad thing necessarily. Talents just lead to cookie cutter builds anyways, so wtf is the point really. One could argue you can change your class at any time, and that is more customization than WoW will ever offer.

- Probably the smallest item pool in MMORPG history with only one piece of equipment per tier for each slot, except ilvl90
Yes and no. It is a small item pool I agree, but there are weapons for every class, with unique cool models, from each of the primals, and there is AF armor which looks cooler than any WoW armor tier ever, etc. And you have your AK armor, and a lot of actual differing art models, which is nice.

- One valid dungeon per tier, forcing players to run the same instance over and over and over and over
I do agree with you, there needs to be more high end dungeons. As far as leveling, there are tons of dungeon options. Thankfully they did add primal fights at 50, but yes we need more than AK, and I don't consider CM and Praetorium dungeons really, as there is no loot, etc. Hopefully they wake up and make some of their awesome leveling dungeons have level 50 hard modes.

- Utterly broken class(es) that the developers insist is fine and it's just every single player of that class being bad at the game
The only real "broken" class, is Warriors. The rest are fine. And they aren't even really "broken", just not balanced with Paladins. If it was the only tank, no one would even bitch. Yes Yoshi made a stupid statement about Warriors, but really all I got from it was that there is more potential for the class, players just need to figure out to use it better. Obviously he is wrong, but look at how bad Blizz's class balancing is every fucking expansion, it is a joke with OP classes that get nerfed into the ground kneejerk style, etc. And they say nothing is wrong with such and such class when it is obviously broken. Or look at SOE on the Fiery Avenger. MMO Devs lie, and are oblivious, it's not a first with SE.

- Unspeakably bad server infrastructure and lack of regional servers for most parts of the world
Server infrastructure is excellent. Sorry but what other games can handle fucking 500 people in a zone and not lag a bit. Or 200+ people on screen and still have a playable FPS? WoW sure cant, with shittier graphics even. Yes they had server problems at launch, but not anymore. Yes the fate culling issue is bullshit, but it isn't hard to work around it for now. But to say it's "unspeakably bad" is just full on talking shit. It is pretty damn solid and I don't think has crashed once since the first Odin fight on Gilgamesh.

- Unbearable 2.5 second global cooldown, extremely sluggish combat, unresponsive controls
Again opinion. 2.5 second GCD is loved by a lot, including me. Fuck that ADD WoW shit. I'm tired of it. I like the slower paced combat. It isn't sluggish one bit though, and the controls are very responsive. Yes it may not be responsive if you are smashing it when its on GCD, but when I hit my buttons when they are available, it does what I press. If you want sluggish unresponsive, go play FFXI lol.

- Poor general combat system with severe over-emphasis on step-out-of-the-AoE as almost the only fight dynamic
Again, opinion. Combat is great to a lot of people. Step out of the AoE has been the same deal since WoW. Tank adds, step out of fire, etc. That's not going to change any time soon until you get actual dodging combat like EQN or Tera. Hell, Titan has more unique mechanics than pretty much every WoW fight I can think of.

- Fundamentally broken, unsustainable economic model
Dailies coming in 2.1, and again they are addressing this, 6 weeks after launch. I don't think that 6 weeks of an issue, and then addressing it, is going to destroy the entire game, in fact more of the opposite, they are adjusting to unforseen flaws that came about.

- Pitifully primitive and one-dimensional class mechanics, skills and mechanics have less depth than vanilla WoW's
Again opinion. I would much rather have less abilities that do what they are supposed to, than 30 hotkeys with stupid shit like this one dispells frenzy, this one dispells this, this one dispells that, etc. It's your traditional class mechanics. White mages Cure, Raise, and Esuna. Blackmages Fire, Ice, and Lightning. Dragoons Jump, etc. Maybe my experience with FF series just conditioned me to be okay with this, but it's not really different than the norm with them.

- Completely broken leveling system where the only viable source of exp with alts is mindless FATE leeching
I agree and disagree. The leveling system the first time is absolutely the best in the industry. Awesome storyline, no stupid excessive voiceovers etc, great dramatic fight moments, etc. Good range of dungeons, duty finder, etc. The only place I felt it lacked was that there were a few times you run out of story progression between 45-50 and have to do a few fates. Where I agree though is the alt thing. Fates are the only worthwhile way to level alts right now. Hopefully they give us other options by either increasing dungeon xp to make it a viable alternative, or allow classes to repeat non-storyline quests or whatever, but they do need other options for this.

- Anyone with any clue can tell that this game's PvP will be hysterically awful
And no one really cares. I don't think anyone is picking up this game for PvP and if they are they are an idiot. This game was not designed for PvP, and the arena deal is going to be just a bone for those people, and at least they have the balls to go for a full on PvP skillset, where other MMO's wont.

- Retarded party size vs. raid format which exacerbates the queue time issue for DPS and guarantees problems with tank demand in raids
Another thing I agree on. They should have went with a higher group size, but it's not game breaking, it just makes for longer queues. WoW has this same issue, hell every MMO has this issue. DPS will always have queues and there will always be a shortage of healers/tanks.

They didn't get dick right and it's not a great MMO unless your standards are very low. They made rookie mistakes, they've recreated problems that were fixed years ago, they've worsened issues that already existed in the genre, and they've created a game so primitive and shallow that there basically isn't a platform for any kind of theorycrafting or discussion. Look at this forum, or anywhere else. There's nothing to talk about regarding the actual game because it's less complex than DAoC. They've taken all the things WoW offers and imitated them except worse, offering nowhere near the diversity of content or classes, the intricacy of itemization, the fluidity of gameplay or the depth of combat and skill mechanics that people have enjoyed for nearly a decade in the game that they're inevitably being compared to because they chose not to do anything beyond that.
I do understand what you are saying, but disagree that they are rookie mistakes. I think they purposefully built the game this way and I think it is built in a good way. They weren't trying to take WoW and make it better. They were making their own game and taking some WoW influence. I personally don't care about theorycrafting and shit. I enjoy the more arcadeish fights like Titan, etc. I do agree that there needs to be more in this game, and if they were to stop content right now, or not provide any for 6 months I would agree that this game won't last. But what they have is truly a solid foundation for a launch. Most people that are quitting, legitimately are only quitting because they ran out of things to do, not because they don't enjoy it. Trust me I have played every MMO since WoW, and this is the FIRST MMO since WoW that I can truly say at max level is "damn the only thing that pisses me off about this game is there isn't more content." Most MMO's when I hit max level, I say man, this is underwhelming, or this sucks, or I am burnt out on this game, etc.

Maybe it's because I don't compare this game to WoW, but to games like SWToR, GW2, and other post-WoW games. Maybe I just have low expectations of the MMO genre, but I am truly enjoying FFXIV, even after doing all the content. Yes I am running out of things to do, and wish there was more, but I am going to give them time, because it is a fun game, and wait to see if they can provide more content like every MMO does. If they do, I can see myself playing this for a long time. If they don't, I'm sure I will get bored and quit.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Calling the controls responsive invalidates your entire, TL;DR post. The combat system is absolutely broken as fuck and one of the main reasons that a lot of the raiders are quitting. It's just unbearable how often shit flat out refuses to go off and doesn't work. It makes the game really unejoyable. Animation locks, input lag, instants not working properly at all, etc. If you think this shit is responsive I can't take anything else you say about the game the least bit seriously.

Stave

Potato del Grande
This is a bit of mis-information. Their launcher uses HTML but still requires to client to actually work. It isn't like you can just go to login.ffxiv.com and get to the page. Next the session ID is a gigantic hash. So literally you need to grab someone else's session ID. Which is nearly impossible with the current security procedures in Windows. You'd need admin access to the machine. Basically you'd have to download a virus and let it run as admin.
Stuff like that, and the picture above, are what piss me off the most. Some random shit some dude posts about some game, and people believe it like any ol Joe Schmoe can just hack anyone's account. Chicken little much. Just because some random dude named Sauser says that you can type some magic commands to the server and get billions of gil and any items you want, doesn't mean it's true. Yes there are bots, yes there are exploits. WoW had them, EQ had them, fuck every MMO has them. No dev can make an exploit proof game/product. It's all about damage control and plugging holes when you do find them. Obviously there aren't 1000's of people running around in FFXIV with billions of gil and full Allegan armor for every class, so apparently it isn't some widespread issue. I'm sure if there is any legitimacy to this claim, that they are easily able to check this shit in the logs and banhammer the people in .5 seconds. If they are stupid enough to let shit like this exist and continue, then I have no pity for them, but I honestly don't even believe these problems exist, but rather are made by random trolls who are pissed because their friends/guildies left WoW or whatever game, to go play FFXIV, which they don't care for, so they must make up shit to try to discredit the game, and then your average idiots believe everything they hear and spread it around like gospel.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Calling the controls responsive invalidates your entire, TL;DR post. The combat system is absolutely broken as fuck and one of the main reasons that a lot of the raiders are quitting. It's just unbearable how often shit flat out refuses to go off and doesn't work. It makes the game really unejoyable. Animation locks, input lag, instants not working properly at all, etc. If you think this shit is responsive I can't take anything else you say about the game the least bit seriously.
Even the shittiest game has players who think it's awesome.

Stuff like that, and the picture above, are what piss me off the most. Some random shit some dude posts about some game, and people believe it like any ol Joe Schmoe can just hack anyone's account. Chicken little much. Just because some random dude named Sauser says that you can type some magic commands to the server and get billions of gil and any items you want, doesn't mean it's true. Yes there are bots, yes there are exploits. WoW had them, EQ had them, fuck every MMO has them. No dev can make an exploit proof game/product. It's all about damage control and plugging holes when you do find them. Obviously there aren't 1000's of people running around in FFXIV with billions of gil and full Allegan armor for every class, so apparently it isn't some widespread issue. I'm sure if there is any legitimacy to this claim, that they are easily able to check this shit in the logs and banhammer the people in .5 seconds. If they are stupid enough to let shit like this exist and continue, then I have no pity for them, but I honestly don't even believe these problems exist, but rather are made by random trolls who are pissed because their friends/guildies left WoW or whatever game, to go play FFXIV, which they don't care for, so they must make up shit to try to discredit the game, and then your average idiots believe everything they hear and spread it around like gospel.
There are long threads about this on the official forums and no shortage of in-game evidence of rampant cheating. For someone raging over "something some guy says on a forum," you provide even less justification for your denial. Resorting to the WoW-Godwin just makes your argument even more pathetic. People are reporting widespread security issues ranging from the login system to the server-client communication and your first instinct is to assume that it's some kind of elaborate smear campaign by people who want the players to return to WoW? Come on, man.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I dunno man, I played FFXI for years. Now that is unresponsive. Yes okay, off GCD abilities during animation lock can be fucked up sometimes, but I find if I press it half way through the GCD, they always fire. If you press them while your initial animation is going, yes it's not going to go off until your animation finishes. Movement is very responsive and not sluggish at all. I can understand the raider thing, but then again I don't think this is some tailored to the 1% top end raider game. If you get your enjoyment out of the game, only by raiding and exact precision in these, I can understand that making it unenjoyable, but to me it just seems like such a minute detail. But again I don't raid hardcore or top end, so that doesn't effect me. I get my enjoyment out of other aspects of the game.

axeman_sl

shitlord
I dunno man, I played FFXI for years. Now that is unresponsive. Yes okay, off GCD abilities during animation lock can be fucked up sometimes, but I find if I press it half way through the GCD, they always fire. If you press them while your initial animation is going, yes it's not going to go off until your animation finishes. Movement is very responsive and not sluggish at all. I can understand the raider thing, but then again I don't think this is some tailored to the 1% top end raider game. If you get your enjoyment out of the game, only by raiding and exact precision in these, I can understand that making it unenjoyable, but to me it just seems like such a minute detail. But again I don't raid hardcore or top end, so that doesn't effect me. I get my enjoyment out of other aspects of the game.
For one thing, the game basically has a built-in 300ms latency. That alone qualifies as pretty fucking unresponsive. There's also a very noticeable desynch between visuals and application of associated effects. All skills are animation-locked, causing not only sluggish controls but also arbitrary imbalances because a skill's worth can depend significantly on the length of its animation. Also note how completely random the animation lengths are, with even certain melee attacks having two-second animations during which you can't do anything. The server tick causes issues with DoTs/HoTs and is really shoddy programming in general. Calling movement "very responsive" is frankly a declaration of idiocy considering how it's probably the #1 complaint people have about this game, with issues ranging from extreme visual rubber-banding of other players to poor positional detection for AoE checks. It's literally one of the game's biggest flaws and you're going completely in the opposite direction and insisting that it's working perfectly, which makes it very hard not to view your posts as mindless fanboy white-knighting. You're responding to widely documented problems with "nope, no, nuh-uh, it's all great" or trying to discredit it as opinions.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think a lot of the unresponsive complaints depend on which class that you're playing.

Scholar/Summoner I don't think deal nearly so much with off-gcd animation locks. It's really no problem for at least those 2. If you're playing Summoner you can easily fester after either Bio or Ruin-2. Just feels like a natural part of the rotation. If you're playing scholar, energy drain fits in even easier after either bio, aero or ruin 2 or the gcd lock initiated by swapping into cleric stance. On top of that Lustrate is EXTREMELY quick, and sacred soil requires the placing targeting circle, so I don't even notice the animation.

I don't think any ability has an animation longer than 1 second for ACN. Most of them are pretty quick. If you do something like bio+aetherflow+fester, you might clip your next ability (aetherflow feels like a longer animation than fester but I haven't timed it), but only very marginally... and it's not even really required to fit 2 off-gcd abilities in since you only get 3 aetherflow stacks per minute. (combine that with virus and e4e and you're looking at, at most, 1 off gcd every 10 seconds on average, requiring you to use ruin-2 more often if you're trying to do more than that so you'd run into mana problems anyways and everything else has a cast time)