Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Draynar_sl

shitlord
I think I would be playing this game if not for the "one character is every class" thing. Why do they even give you more than one character slot? I like making alts, and it didn't seem like there was any point in doing so in FFXIV.
Funny cause i don't think I'd play the game if i had to roll alts to do other things. Love raiding as whm soloing as bard and doing dungeons as warrior.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I don't even... Pretty sure a lot of people would NOT be playing if it weren't for the job system.
This. I hate having to redo literally everything when I want to play a different class, even though I'm a questaholic. Once is enough for me, special exceptions to this apply.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
There is no way in hell I'd have done every class to 50 if I had to repeat that inane quest line ad infinitum.

... is what I'd like to say, but I've done it elsewhere, so who knows. Not having to do the same thing over and over was definitely a nice break, though.

imijj_sl

shitlord
There is no way in hell I'd have done every class to 50 if I had to repeat that inane quest line ad infinitum.

... is what I'd like to say, but I've done it elsewhere, so who knows. Not having to do the same thing over and over was definitely a nice break, though.
It's an MMO, who says you should have to play ever class? I just think it cheapens the experience and makes your character completely boring being able to just switch to any class at any time.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
It's an MMO, who says you should have to play ever class? I just think it cheapens the experience and makes your character completely boring being able to just switch to any class at any time.
I must have missed the part where there's a rule you have to playevery class. Please link that so I can catch up.

1. One character that can play every job
or
2. 10 character alts that can play one job each

Other than logging in/out, I really don't see the difference. How does it 'cheapen the experience'? Both ways basically take the same amount of time to level. If anything, doing more classes on the same character makes that character bond stronger because you've put so much time/effort into one guy, not cheaper since you can use cross skills. Alts don't get to do that and people use them as throwaway toons most of the time in mmos anyways.

One reason the game uses multiple jobs is so you don't have a game where you are Billy Bow Ranger, then you log out and you're Buffstone the Magnificent. That shit is stupid to me, because half the time none of your friends know who the fuck your alt/alts are unless you tell them, unless you name them Bar Ranger, Bar Mage, Bar Tank, etc. For long term communities, it helps because there is more accountability because people are less likely to do trolling and stupid shit on their main lest people see what an asshole they truly are.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You don't have to play anything. You can be 1 class if you want to be. Your call. I prefer to be able to do anything I please. If you think that's boring, I'd say that's your issue.

I find it great that I can just switch to whatever class my group needs and fill any role. YMMV, I suppose.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Also consider that even though you are capable of switching to any job, they won't necessarily be geared as well as others with how loot is obtained. I had every class at 50 in FFXIV but I was always identified as a Bard, Warrior or Scholar because I enjoyed them the most so I put the most effort into gearing them in that order.

Halucin8_sl

shitlord
Anyone still playing this? I'm really enjoying this game but I'm just gearing up a fresh 50 paladin.. so far tanking is easy but I haven't started the challenging 8 mans yet

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Still playing regularly on Malboro - primarily WHM, then PLD.
Still playing on Adamantoise. We are looking for a dps for our static (raid mond, wed, Thurs 6-9pm ESt) if anyone's interested in the new coil. Which is a lot of fun by the way, but definitely won't last 6 months. If they could forego crystal tower and just add 4-5 new turns every patch it would be perfect amount of content for most players

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Anyone still playing this? I'm really enjoying this game but I'm just gearing up a fresh 50 paladin.. so far tanking is easy but I haven't started the challenging 8 mans yet
It doesn't get much more difficult. It's pretty much the easiest job on all the primals except possibly Garuda. Turn 4 is a decent challenge for the off tank if your group is retarded but if your group knows how to stand in the middle of the room then it's not that tough either.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I'll be honest, I have been on the fence for a while now coming back but D3 expansion took so much of my time, and now with summer coming and Wildstar coming out, about the only thing that would really stand a chance to get me to play again would be new jobs like Ninja and Samurai. I feel bad for them because this game has so much potential but the delay until 2.1 release cost them a lot of subs that probably wont be back.

Pironin_sl

shitlord
I'll be honest, I have been on the fence for a while now coming back but D3 expansion took so much of my time, and now with summer coming and Wildstar coming out, about the only thing that would really stand a chance to get me to play again would be new jobs like Ninja and Samurai. I feel bad for them because this game has so much potential but the delay until 2.1 release cost them a lot of subs that probably wont be back.
Resubbed, no regrets. Having a blast currently and the rumors of new classes only have me wanting to stay subbed longer.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
How are bards these days? My last attempt to play the game ended around 25 on marauder. I realize that they are largely archers but when do they feel a bit more bard like? I'm only guessing but I'm assuming with 1 ability @ 30 you don't really feel like a bard. Curious how they pan out later and how much support they really bring.

ixian_sl

shitlord
How are bards these days? My last attempt to play the game ended around 25 on marauder. I realize that they are largely archers but when do they feel a bit more bard like? I'm only guessing but I'm assuming with 1 ability @ 30 you don't really feel like a bard. Curious how they pan out later and how much support they really bring.
They bring useful support (you'll mostly use Ballad [MP Regen] and Foe Requiem [+Magic Damage]) but never really feel "support-y," which is a shame. Then again I'm not sure how much room there'd be for an actual support class in this game. It's a fairly easy class to play which people will endlessly give you shit over, and will in turn frustrate you if you encounter someone who's bad at it, of which there are (unsurprisingly) many.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I still play, occasionally, on gilgamesh, but seems like most everyone is gone. Havent played in a bit though, but still subbed.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
FFXIV has some of the best tuned raids out there, they just dont have enough to keep me engaged between major patches. I'll for sure come back and check out the new classes.