Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I had to quit due to lack of free time about a month after launch but I recently resubbed and am having a blast. Rerolled a GLA (27) on Jenova but am considering going back to my BRD on Gilgamesh.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Just picked a PS4 up with this, made a Roegayden THM, looks like it's a horrible combo but oh well, will it effect me endgame that much? Also, are there any sites that offer good THM advice? Sorry, very new to this game!

ixian_sl

shitlord
Just picked a PS4 up with this, made a Roegayden THM, looks like it's a horrible combo but oh well, will it effect me endgame that much? Also, are there any sites that offer good THM advice? Sorry, very new to this game!
Racial stat benefits are fairly minimal, you'll just have to live with the shame of playing a Roegadyn.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
You get a free race change in the game. If it bothers you that much, use it for this
smile.png
It's not a issue honestly though. I played every class in the end game raids on my Roe and never had an issue. Gear and skill > race.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Are people still playing on Gilgamesh? I have a buddy who wanted to give it a try, and for $25, I thought I'd join him to see what the game is like.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
i am playing.
What would you suggest as Class/Job combos for someone just starting? Thinking of joining up with Rerolled people if they're still playing. I'd always wanted to play Ranger in FFXI, but rolled Taru and played Blm/Rdm/Whm/Smn.

Looks like Bard is based on the Archer? Looking back over the last 20 or so pages, it seems like a lot of people played them?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
rerolled people are gone. just a few left. i just started playing last night again.

bard is a popular class and useful. Not the best DPS. I have not yet done any of the new content, so I couldn't comment on what is needed on the market at the moment. Last time I played, Dragoon seemed to be the least wanted class but I know that they can be a pretty epic DPS given different situations.
Good healers are always a welcome, so if you want to feel important, maybe healers are the way to go.

For Class/Job combo, your cross class skills are very limited but you will absolutely want to level other class to 30-34 for cross-class skills because your jobs' DPS/Heal/Tanking depends on some of them. Google your job of interest and see what classes you will have to level.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
When we did 6-7-8-9 it was very tightly tuned for Twin weapon + full i90 gear. You'll need some gear along the way to beat turn 9 and maybe the others if you dont really strong dps. A good place to start would be turns 1-5 via pugs or duty finder and then jump into the new stuff, its pretty fun raiding if thats what you like.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
If you and your buddy are leveling together I would highly suggest one of you be a healer or a tank. Dungeons are by far the best exp for leveling and healers/tanks have a less then 5 minute queue. DPS has well over 30 minutes, sometimes longer.

spronk

FPS noob
i resubbed for a month almost exactly a month ago (to try ps4 version), ended up playing very little just wasn't that interesting second time around. definitely play as a tank or maybe healer your first time, queues are all instant and tanking is easy. either tank class is fine, they buffed up warriors so they aren't pathetic pieces of shit anymore although paladins still seem to have slightly higher survivability. you can run with pug duty finder alllll the dungeons/guildhests, CT tower as many times as you want, turns 1-4, and most of the regular primals. You will need static groups for the newer content like turns 5-9, primal experts, levi expert, king moogle. The last dozen or so story quests are gated behind king moogle (never did him so dunno).

game is worth the $10-15 you can buy it for on sale and play for a free month, beyond that its just like every other mmo and a super grind that isn't really worth it. ps4 and pc versions are beautiful to look at, ps4 runs great especially with remote play on a vita. dont get ripped off and buy the ps4 version for $40, get the ps3 version and its a free upgrade to ps4. you do need to run it once on a ps3 and login under your PSN account, but can use a friends ps3 to do it too. I think the PC version is still the best though.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Just got my pally to lvl 34. First time tanking in an MMO and i'm having a blast. Not really understanding provoke though. My understanding is that it makes my enmity equal with whoever has the most on a particular mob, yet anytime I try and peel aggro from say a fate boss or anything really with provoke + flash/combo it's no dice... what am I missing?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
if you use provoke immediately early on, it will have no effect. provoke flips the base of hate that mobs has on the targeted player (player with highest aggro). Best thing you can do is do other hate pulling moves and then provoke. Only provoke to pull the mob away from healer/DPS.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
if you use provoke immediately early on, it will have no effect. provoke flips the base of hate that mobs has on the targeted player (player with highest aggro). Best thing you can do is do other hate pulling moves and then provoke. Only provoke to pull the mob away from healer/DPS.
Yeah I have read it is used mostly to peel off healers/dps but havent bad any issues where I needed too. Have only tested it during FATEs and other random encounters to no avail. Now that I am thinking about it though, it is probably party only and I am just an idiot?

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its not party only, but like Troll said it only puts you at max threat +1 so if someone is comboing with their third big hit thats huge threat there is still no way you will peel it.

Your best bet is to prep your third combo hit, drop buffs, provoke into the third hit.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I found a tomahawk/shield lob after a taunt worked well. As a Warrior, doing an overpower after a taunt pretty much ensures you have agro for a long time but on fights where you have to peel something from far away (like the primals) the thrown skill works well.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Hmm, deffinately finished my combo right after provoke but might not of popped FoF. Maybe I have just been unlucky on timing, idk. I guess I will find out eventually, these dungeons have been easy as fuck thus far and i'm almost always tipsy before I PUG.

ixian_sl

shitlord
It's possible your Provokes are getting resisted by the FATE bosses. I saw that occur fairly frequently while leveling back in the day.