Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

ramp

Silver Knight of the Realm
Selbina was/is awesome!
Or Ronfaure, Tavnazia Stronghold (the piano version), Zi'tah, number of the WOTG zone musics and Toau cutscenes, etc.

FFXI nostalgia is a dangerous thing, makes me want to give it another go (as the redo of 14 isn't out for a while).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I downloaded the OST for FFXI and all of the expansions... instantly upon hearing Mhaura, Zitah and then Jeuno I wanted to re-establish my account. FFXI nostalgia is indeed dangerous.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I did similar last year and subscribed. Ran from Mhaura to Windhurst and never logged in again lol. I'm certainly looking forward to XIV though.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I've been flirting with the urge to resub to FFXI but have been withholding myself. I did resub a couple years ago and spent like a whole weekend day farming Ochidou's Kote and didn't log in again after that. As much as I loved the game I just don't have that much free time anymore with wife and kids to spend weekends farming 1 item.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I've been flirting with the urge to resub to FFXI but have been withholding myself. I did resub a couple years ago and spent like a while weekend day farming Ochidou's Kote and didn't log in again after that. As much as I loved the game I just don't have that much free time anymore with wife and kids to spend weekends farming 1 item.
Eh, the game isn't about that anymore. Even relic/empyrean/mythic weapons, which were the most time-consuming items to assemble (though not difficult to do by any means), have mostly been usurped with the most recent patch, though some still retain their usefulness due to their unique effects. I don't think you'd necessarily enjoy your return despite that, though.

Edit: If you're still curious, I'd recommend giving thisReturning Player's guidethread a read to get an idea of what the game is like now. If you have any specific questions I can probably answer them, though I myself don't play anymore.

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Agreed on the FFXI OST being fan-fucking-tastic - I still fire it up on occasion, and it's still a nostalgia trip every time.

As for resubing, I've gone through a few bouts of it. Early on, the group of people I played with never managed to stick with the game very long, and we ended up switching servers (and restarting) several times when we'd inevitably come back to the game. My last two attempts at going back were solo efforts, so at the very least I was able to hop back on an old character and not completely start from scratch.

The first of those was shortly after Wings of the Goddess came out. I logged in, in Mhaura, and decided to head back to San d'Oria to get my bearings. Waited however long for the boat, boarded what turned out to be the Aht Urghan boat, waited for the trip back, waited for the other boat, finally got back to Selbina, and then said fuck it and logged.

My most recent return was a very different affair, sometime after the release of all the Abyssea stuff, and I probably had the most fun with the game here. With my mid-30s Monk/War I spent some time unlocking the rest of the jobs I didn't get around to previously, as well as the new stuff since I had last actually played (except Scholar - never been a big fan of casters and just didn't get around to it). I decided to give Dancer a go, and it completely changed my outlook on the game - between the ability to efficiently solo and the repeatable Page quests (don't recall the exact name), I was capped at 50 in no time. I then switched over to a Dancer sub and easily (and quickly) leveled almost all of the other melee classes to 50 (I think I left Samurai somewhere around 40, and hadn't started Ninja yet), either solo or in mass dungeon page-parties, and did a good chunk of the rank progression stuff solo. I was in the process of soloing the stuff for the level 50 limit break (I was having issues with the Bombs in Garlaige iirc) when something else came out I was interested in playing... I think it may have been Mists of Pandaria.

I do have to admit, between the lack of any enticing MMOs to play at the moment, and the wait for Realm Reborn, I've been tossing the idea of resubing again around.

Meko

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This FFXI OST, lawd, it's incredible. It makes me want to play again. Hell, it really makes me want to run around Whitegate or Jeuno (wherever the kids are hanging out these days), just checking out people in their gear. Fuck, I miss that game and the incredible times I had playing it (along with the 4-5 friends I made that I keep it contact with til this day). I'd really love for another MMO to capture those feelings but I don't think it's possible. I think we've progressed past that point.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Speaking of FFXI music...

I'd really love for another MMO to capture those feelings but I don't think it's possible. I think we've progressed past that point.
Taking this stance has actually increased my enjoyment of other MMOs. Instead of looking for the next big thing, I treat them as I would any other game, walking away when I get bored and returning when I feel the itch again. Perhaps FFXIV will be different, but I don't want to go into the experience with unrealistic expectations. Here's hoping, though.

calla_sl

shitlord
ah man ffxi ost is so awesome, kinda makes me regret selling off my account after i got fed up trying to level up my thf to 75

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
can you guys put the ffxi nostalgia in a different thread? not trying to be a dick, just annoying when the last dozen or so posts are not related to the purpose of the thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah guys let's only talk about FFXIV. Because the NDA is still in effect. And the game is unplayable until June. I want to see no posts in this thread until then.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
can you guys put the ffxi nostalgia in a different thread? not trying to be a dick, just annoying when the last dozen or so posts are not related to the purpose of the thread
When it gets as bad as the EQ1 nostalgia, we'll talk.

And maybe not even then.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Worldwide re-release. Do the fools who bought into 14 the first time get to pay again?