Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Stave

Potato del Grande
I should start playing more often now. Looks like a lot of good changes.

smile.png
By far the best MMO offering out right now. Can't wait for Ninja and Gold Saucer. Funny to think how much of a dump the first iteration of the game was, vs now.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That shit will be sold out in minutes. I'll just watch the videos from the japanese con, apparently they'll be talking about the expansion plans. Hopefully they talk about the classes, Musketeer is known atm(but the Job isn't, they said it wouldn't be a standard job for it, Canoneer inc or whatever) but Tank and Healer classes were announced but no info.

Chris

Potato del Grande
One thing that is striking me about this game is the seemingly large amount of fantasy-esque names. Sure, you still have Fart Sniffer and the like, but the vast majority of folks I run across are folks with decent names. Is there a crazy strict name filter or something here?
There is the odd Final Fantasy / Manga name but most seem to have thought up something decent yeah. Only seen 1 Drizzit and no Legolas or Seprioth.

Has anyone else noticed that the dialogue is borrowing HEAVILY from Game of Thrones? They get away with most of it since you could imagine "Lichyard" or "Sellsword" or "Mummer" were actually used in the olden days, but "Seven Hells" is used quite a lot and that's a direct reference to the seven gods of Game of Thrones?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
One of the dungeon end bosses has a huge nuked called Red Wedding too. Translators probably ultra nerds and love GoT (as they should).

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Has anyone else noticed that the dialogue is borrowing HEAVILY from Game of Thrones? They get away with most of it since you could imagine "Lichyard" or "Sellsword" or "Mummer" were actually used in the olden days, but "Seven Hells" is used quite a lot and that's a direct reference to the seven gods of Game of Thrones?
I don't know about that. That kind of dialogue was in the game back in 1.0.
Characters constantly told you to go fuck yourself ("Go bugger off you shite"), told you to eat shit and die, or called you a fag in marvelous Olde English language. The best part though are quests like the new mailman one where you have to deliver a package to a guy who has twin cat chicks all over him.

The name of the quest is called "Stroking The Haft" (I shit you not) and the catchicks argue about who oils his lever better or how he told them they they handle his length and some such stuff. Literally had me shoot beer right out of my nose.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There is the odd Final Fantasy / Manga name but most seem to have thought up something decent yeah. Only seen 1 Drizzit and no Legolas or Seprioth.

Well the translators might add a bunch of GoT references for fun, since every quest name is a pun and shit I guess they're fine with it. Could just be part of the lore, seven being a fairly common "mystic" number and multiple hells being a common occurence in various religions, especially eastern ones, the japanese old folklore/religion had 16 hells further subdivided into smaller ones which were meant to punish specific sins. So could be coincidence or a reference, hard to say.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Shit I didn't read any dialog in this game, I didn't think people even did that anymore.
I always do the first time I play through a game, if the quests are like trying to be interesting. FFXIV had a lot of jokes, double-entendre, puns, sexual inuendos and shit like that, the writing is surprisingly good. Main story was pretty cool too, besides level 30ish stuff that was awful as fuck. I didn't bother reading shit in Archeage(partly because the cutscenes were in korean so the only interesting stuff, the main story, wasn't translated) or in Wildstar(not that they bothered with quest text anyway).

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Shit I didn't read any dialog in this game, I didn't think people even did that anymore.
If you ever pick it up again there's a questline starring a guy named Hildebrand (or close to it). Questline is great and the only one I've read so far.

Edit: Or just watch it

Chris

Potato del Grande
Think this was the best bit in part 2, especially if you did the massage quest while leveling:
D5UEak2.gif

I enjoyed the bombs and the bald guy in part 1 as well. I'm guessing that Gogo is his nemesis?

So what are the good groups to join on Gilgamesh? I need a good semi casual Free Company and people keep mentioning American Steaktheory linkshell for hunts?

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I've never understood how people can watch these painful FF cutscenes.

Shit is the worst.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I don't know about that. That kind of dialogue was in the game back in 1.0.
Characters constantly told you to go fuck yourself ("Go bugger off you shite"), told you to eat shit and die, or called you a fag in marvelous Olde English language. The best part though are quests like the new mailman one where you have to deliver a package to a guy who has twin cat chicks all over him.

The name of the quest is called "Stroking The Haft" (I shit you not) and the catchicks argue about who oils his lever better or how he told them they they handle his length and some such stuff. Literally had me shoot beer right out of my nose.
Ha. The Longhaft side quest had me conflicted on whether to be horrified with how brazen the double-entendres were, or impressed they managed to get that through potential censoring.

I still think the best cutscene I've seen in this game is the one with the
Limit Break Bleach-style Shunpo Suplex during Hildebrand's second 'case'.

Lore wise, the 2.3 main scenario had a very interesting one on in-game cosmology and semantics. (About the life and death cycle.)

That said, I do think the game has improved substantially since launch (Duty Roulette's rewards helped a bit here, imo), though I wish they would alter their content delivery a smidge. At 3.0, I'm really hoping they up the ante (and quantity) on the "serious" raids (Coil) and include either more to do there (more "turns"/bosses) and/or put Savage mode in from the start with the main bosses. Melusine on Savage looks like srsbizniz for sure, if you've seen Blue Gartr's "voice dodge" video.

Kaita

Golden Squire
I'm really enjoying this on my ps4. Been playing with a few rl friends. The lack of keyboard makes pick up groups difficult to communicate but it works well with the headset with friends.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From the guys on the forum that I talk to in other MMO's, it sounds like a big chunk of us are coming back for 2.4. Cant wait, personally. I enjoyed the game up until everyone I knew quit for one reason or another.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just finished the main storyline...
So are we getting Shiva next patch and Ishgarde Raid/Dungeons (I thought this would be a city?) as part of the expansion?

Everything about this game is awesome so far except the storyline (the setting is actually OK). It's rehashed plotlines and baddies from old Final Fantasy games minus their charm, then Minfilia is the worst NPC ever due to her prominence and lack of personality and competence. I'm just imagining that my character is WTFing at the whole thing and just going along with it just to find out where the Beastman Aetherites are. It really has nothing of it's own.

WHy does almost every major character have armour plates everywhere EXCEPT their genitals?

Radge_sl

shitlord
So, I decided to jump back into this but I'm not feeling like going DPS. What is the current consensus between Paladin/Warrior tanking. What are the major differences? I've heard Paladin has better mitigation while Warrior has better threat control, but that is all second-hand knowledge. Overall, how difficult is Tanking in this game? As someone who has never tanked in an MMO before, am I setting myself up for failure?