Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sounds like kinda inefficient. Result of me leveling all crafting skills to 50 was making like a million back then, and then 10millions more over a couple weeks of 30mins crafting a day and while I did level gathering to 50 on botanist, I did that on the side and it didn't have a major impact on my crafting since a large amount of it was leves. Definitely fun system though and yeah you do need to level a bunch of different stuff, not even just for the items but for the skills, so you can HQ stuff, so you can make money. Having a single craft at 50 is basically worthless cause you can't craft anything useful almost.

Fishing also is pretty fun in its own sort of distorted grindy way. You try to get the specific fishes that only spawn when it rains in a specific spot to complete your log for the zone and oh goddamnit it stopped raining, whelp guess I'll just wait here until it rains again and you end up fishing for 3hours. Don't get anything worthwhile out of it either. I mean now you do, you can desynth fishes into shards so that's actually pretty nice but when I leveled it all you got was a pitiful amount of gil from vendoring your fishes and a few spots could give you stuff that sold on the market but most of it was high level anyway.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
All things considered, FFXIV seems to have a lot of staying power with its content updates, difficulty, and legitimate fun (although frequently grindy) content that's currently in.
I think SE's philosophy is what makes it's demand for a sub justified vs a lot of other mmos.

All mmos have grind, some have more of an insane amount than other (usually those Chinese/Korean games) but the difference is if you play F2P mmos, you can pretty much kiss any chance of ever completing that grind goodbye. You're basically wasting your time which is fine if people just want to bop around in a game super casual-like for 40 mins, but that kind of gets old really fast.

One thing I like about the necessary evil of grind in FFXIV are things like the weapon. SE said they wanted the Zenith weapon to be an upgradable thing over time, so that it's something you always are building on. The grind to make it through Atma, Animus, Novus is insane but it isn't any different than any other mmo where you would throw that weapon away after a patch, then go grind the new top dungeons for that new one hoping it will drop. This way, you still keep your weapon and it's kind of corny but it means a bit more because you've built it up over time.

That attachment is what mmos tries (and often fails) to instill into people through their toons and play. It's why people will play EQ or WoW, quit, come back, quit, come back, etc because of that bond. Its the same with the crafting in the game; it takes a hellishly long time to do everything but when you've finally gotten there and a new patch comes out and you start on new items with your accumulated skills, it makes it fresh. When they release new jobs/classes, you don't have to think of a name, reroll an alt and be a noob again; you simply go talk to some folks in a storyline then accept the quest and start leveling it up right on same old guy. You even take your rooster who leveled up with you from the start as well. It's like taking extension courses after grad school to compliment what you've already majored in.

I hope ESO gets it's shit together, because I think that game has the same type of potential but I'm just not willing to wade through the nonsense now of a console beta.
Few mmos today are able to pass that on and it's why people roll alts then quit soon afterwards. It's why I don't think longterm games like WildStar will do well. There is grind, but it's a different, vapid feeling. You always feel as if you can just up and leave the game at anytime and never want to come back because nothing is there to connect you, which is exactly what happened to me even though I liked the combat.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can relate to what you're saying in terms of connecting to a game. If a game can instill the same kind of connection I have with my online character name, then I would be set. Ive been using the same name for my main and the same names for my 1-2 alts for years now. The last time I felt really connected to gear in an MMO was WoW classic - when we finally killed Rag and I got the crown of destruction on the first kill... that shit resonated with me. I can kill Garrosh on SoO MODE SO HARD YOU BEAT YOUR DICK WITH A HAMMER and have no connection to the gear whatsoever now, though.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I can relate to what you're saying in terms of connecting to a game. If a game can instill the same kind of connection I have with my online character name, then I would be set. Ive been using the same name for my main and the same names for my 1-2 alts for years now. The last time I felt really connected to gear in an MMO was WoW classic - when we finally killed Rag and I got the crown of destruction on the first kill... that shit resonated with me. I can kill Garrosh on SoO MODE SO HARD YOU BEAT YOUR DICK WITH A HAMMER and have no connection to the gear whatsoever now, though.
Less whining about Garrosh, more Coil raiding! I may or may not let you die horribly because I'm a bastard White Mage.

:p

misery_sl

shitlord
I'm having a great time so far with this game. Leveled my Archer to 18 today in one sitting before the servers went down for maintenance. I'm impressed with how solid the game feels, and while the combat isn't anything fancy, it still feels good. I really love the fact that I can be any class in the game and not be forced into rolling 50 alts. If I get tired of a class, I can just level another on the same character.

That said, spamming stone all day yesterday to level my conjurer to 16 was total bullshit. Also no seamless zones. The maps are bullshit. Um... I have a few more gripes, but I can't think of them.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Also no seamless zones. The maps are bullshit. Um... I have a few more gripes, but I can't think of them.
The removal of the seamless zones from 1.0 was some kind of necessary concession I guess. 1.0 was complete horseshit but I did love being able to go from one end of The Shroud to the other end of Thanalan, hop of the ferry and ride all the way to Limsa in a seamless clip (just the ferry ride start/stop had zone changes).

The downside was you had to have your character RUN that far with no sprint (I think) and by some mobs who's levels jumped from 5-unbeatable (those stupid ants) along the way. Was fun to do as a Level 1 though... once.

Daidraco

Less whining about Garrosh, more Coil raiding! I may or may not let you die horribly because I'm a bastard White Mage.

:p
Is Coil even going to be relevant when I come back? Maybe I need to read up on what 2.4 is offering again...

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I played for a couple of months at release, but not since. How brutal is the game atm for new players? Is it one of those games where if you haven't been playing you're fucked or can I actually catch up at this point?

Daidraco

In a nutshell, 'final' Coil (which will undoubtedly require you to have cleared Second Coil) and Ninja, what more do you want?!
As long as role players are still having big ceremonies and shit in the middle of town that we can mess up. (who was it that stripped down naked and did that video fucking with the RP'ers anyways? lol I cant find it.) Funniest shit I've done with people in an MMO ever.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I played for a couple of months at release, but not since. How brutal is the game atm for new players? Is it one of those games where if you haven't been playing you're fucked or can I actually catch up at this point?
Na they do token based gear and shit and basically every other major patch they add a new token tier which makes it so you can farm the previous tier really easily doing normal shit or the new tier slowly doing normal shit(or faster if you raid the new tier and actually get the drops directly). You can catch up in under a month or so, as long as you do your daily shit and get all your weekly tokens and stuff, you won't have like full tier gear but you'll have decent enough to do the current highest tier of raiding(savage mode aside which is like something just for people already bored of current tier).

They added Hunts too which a lot of people complain about but assuming you get a in a group for them and in a hunt linkshell that spots them(there's hunt linkshells on every servers and stuff), those drop a fuckton of tokens which let you catch up even faster, but it's pretty boring stuff and you need to get credit on mobs that quite often don't even display due to too many people around and shit like that, it's not very fun content but very good rewards for it.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Na they do token based gear and shit and basically every other major patch they add a new token tier which makes it so you can farm the previous tier really easily doing normal shit or the new tier slowly doing normal shit(or faster if you raid the new tier and actually get the drops directly). You can catch up in under a month or so, as long as you do your daily shit and get all your weekly tokens and stuff, you won't have like full tier gear but you'll have decent enough to do the current highest tier of raiding(savage mode aside which is like something just for people already bored of current tier).

They added Hunts too which a lot of people complain about but assuming you get a in a group for them and in a hunt linkshell that spots them(there's hunt linkshells on every servers and stuff), those drop a fuckton of tokens which let you catch up even faster, but it's pretty boring stuff and you need to get credit on mobs that quite often don't even display due to too many people around and shit like that, it's not very fun content but very good rewards for it.
Cool, thanks for the info.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Resubbed tonight on Gilgamesh still. Looks like Isis is a ghost town. I left the FC and am trying to relearn the game and find out all this new stuff. I quit before 2.1 so there is tons of new stuff. Man I forgot how truly beautiful this game is and how amazing it runs. Anyone still around on Gilg and have a FC that wants a steady player but non raider?

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Resubbed tonight on Gilgamesh still. Looks like Isis is a ghost town.
If it's anything like my server (Midgardsomr), most of the people are either in:

1. Hunts
2. Frontlines
3. Some dungeon (mostly ST)
4. Hanging out in Revenants.

The towns proper are pretty much abandoned now that you get a free port (which most ppl put as Revenant), a FC house with auction board outside it and lots of content to be into. Not like launch where people used to sit around waiting for something to kick off. Lot of people hustling out there now because individual housing is coming and they want to bank some gil now, or at least get set up right.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wonder if they'll still go with their original announced plan of 1million for a house, sounds pretty cheap to me when I see how much crafted shit is worth now. When I relogged during the free weekend to check my char and be prepared for transferring and shit, I still had a couple of unsold items on my retainers, so I checked the prices on them to relist them(might as well I figure), it was like electrum HQ bracers for gathering and some other shit like that and both had increased by more than 50% from release time(you'd think lower shit would go down instead). So I assume crafters still make a lot of money crafting common stuff so 1million seems really small. Won't complain if that's the case though.

Anyway finishing Divinity this week and then I'll resub until 2.4 I think. Probably gonna level one of the tank classes in the mean time. Need to farm badges and shit for my Ninja and level desynth.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
You have to overmeld every piece of gear for gathering professions to reach the new tiers so gathering Materia has sky rocketed in price exponentially. That's probably driving the price of the jewellery that converts into it. Similar situation with crafting materia though not so extreme. Shards and crystal prices are at an all time high. And the main ingredients used to lvl Desynth sell very well, most folks doing Goldsmith and LTW to a lesser extent - Electrum Ore, Mythril Ore etc

Spicy Tomato Relish - Item - Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (FFXIV ARR) Databaseis the key item for turning in for the ilvl 70 specs to desynth. It's 10 per turn in for one desynth attempt with a 1 in 3 chance at a Fieldcraft III or Mastercraft Demimateria so people aren't shy buying HQ Dzemael Tomatos and HQ Dark Vinegar - you could make millions just selling those two items.

Stave

Potato del Grande
If it's anything like my server (Midgardsomr), most of the people are either in:

1. Hunts
2. Frontlines
3. Some dungeon (mostly ST)
4. Hanging out in Revenants.

The towns proper are pretty much abandoned now that you get a free port (which most ppl put as Revenant), a FC house with auction board outside it and lots of content to be into. Not like launch where people used to sit around waiting for something to kick off. Lot of people hustling out there now because individual housing is coming and they want to bank some gil now, or at least get set up right.
The towns themselves on Gilgamesh are still pretty packed, server pop seems as healthy as it was when I left, but I meant Isis, the board Free Company is a ghost town. I logged on and was the only one on, last other person was on 10 days ago, and before that was like 180 days lol.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's how my fc has become. Thinking of transferring to Gilgamesh. Is there a decent amount of early day activity. I work at night so I am trying to find a daytime raiding group but haven't had luck on my server

Stave

Potato del Grande
Good read I found here that shows all the new things added since launch. It's excluding the new 2.3 so there is even more content than what is on this.What's New Since Launch

Also as someone posted before, the new end game summary
Tier 0 - Preparation & Requirements
-Finish Your Job/Story Quests - Your Job quests will net you your last skills and your Artifact gear. Do them. Main quest completion at least through Praetorium is required for literally every piece of content outside of this tier, and many later on will require completion beyond that.
-Replace Your Trash Items - If you have any items below iLevel 45, they should probably be replaced with crafted/purchased items. You should pay particular attention to your weaponry. You can jump up as high as item level 90, depending on how much gil you have/are willing to spend, but bare minimum in all slots should be i45+.
-Castrum Meridianum and The Praetorium - You'll need to run them once for story. If you feel uncomfortable with the idea of 8 man content you can run them once or twice extra, but you should otherwise avoid them outside of Duty Roulette: Story Mode, which unlocks after completing them both, as the base Mythology reward is rather low for their time investment.
-Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep - You'll have to do at least AK for your Relic quest eventually, but they also drop iLevel 55 gear to get you started, and are an easy completion even in fresh 50 gear. They should help ease you into the idea of 4 man dungeons at level 50, and how various classes perform with their full skill set.
-Cross Class Skills - Every Job is a little different on how much they depend on cross-class skills, but at absolute minimum, by the time you reach Tier 2 you should have access to all of the Cross-Class skills considered even moderately useful for your Job.

Tier 1 - The First Steps
-Expectations - Beyond this point you should have Praetorium completed, and a basic set of gear in the iLevel range of 45-55 or higher. Gear from content in this range is iLevel 60-80.
-Relic Quest Line - One of the first stops for a fresh 50 should be picking up your Relic Quest line. Even if you don't want to take it all the way to Novus, it's a good way to jump up into the i80-90 weaponry tier relatively quickly.
-Big 3 HM Primals - Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan HM will all be required of you for a number of unlocks, and completion of your Relic quest. Go bang them out in an afternoon. With big Echo bonuses, and propensity for higher iLevel/experience players to join you via Duty Roulette: Trials, none of these save perhaps Titan should present you with any terrible difficulty. The Big 3 HM Primals must be completed to gain access to The Binding Coil of Bahamut later on.
-Main Story Continuation/Secondary HM Primals - Continue working on your post-Praetorium Story and you'll eventually run into Moogle Mog, Leviathan, and Ramuh HM. You'll need them all dead and the story wrapped up all the way to its current 2.3 completion eventually for unlocks, and Moggle can drop silly i75 weapons for the Moogle addicted.
-Gilgamesh - A for-fun/no-rewards fight in the Hildebrand Storyline; required if you want to unlock Duty Roulette: Trials. Should be no difficulty at any iLevel.
-Pharos Sirius and Haukke/Copperbell HM - These four man dungeons should present you no particular difficulties even at an average iLevel of 55-60, assuming some of your other party members are above that level. You should be going through each four man dungeon at least once so that you can unlock Duty Roulette: Hard Mode.
-Lost City of Amdapor and Brayflox/Halatali HM - Same as above, only with a slightly higher difficulty curve, aim for iLevel 60-70 before jumping in them. Brayflox HM will likely be many people's first experience with the dungeon speed running mentality, so be prepared for much bigger pulls than you're used to. Once you have completed all the dungeons listed to this point at least once you will gain access to Duty Roulette: Hard Mode.
-Labyrinth of the Ancients - The first Crystal Tower/24 man, you'll need it completed for unlock status later for the second zone, and it drops i80 gear with no loot restriction.
-Hunts - You should now be able to unlock the Hunts system, which allows you to reap great rewards from overworld Notorious Monsters. Unlock this as soon as possible and get into a Hunts Linkshell or a larger FC if this is something that interests you.
-Mythic Armor - You should be able to purchase at least a few pieces of Mythic armor either with Mythology tomes, or Hunt Marks. This should help boost your iLevel rapidly. If you have enough Soldiery Tomes you can also begin purchasing iLevel 100 Weathered gear with them.
-PvP & Frontlines - You should now be able to unlock Frontlines PvP and level 50 Arena mode PvP. Frontlines can be a great way to acquire Tomestones and PvP exp while having fun, as long as you can deal with the Frontlines queue insanity.
-Side-Stories - You should now also have access to start the Hildebrand, Courrier, and Winebauds series of Sidequests. These provide various small item rewards, and can be a lot of silly fun.
-Other Unlocks - There are many small system related unlocks at level 50, from Glamours and Personal Rooms to Chocobo Raising, Parley, and more. Keep an eye out for any odd Level 50 quests in zones you walk through, or people chatting about systems you don't recognize.

Tier 2 - Beyond Your First Relic - The Beginnings of the Difficulty Curve.
-Expectations - By this point you should be in the ilevel ~70+ range, with a weapon at least at iLevel 80. Content in this tier provides gear in the range of i80-i100. Content from this point onward will begin sharply spiking up in difficulty, both in terms of numerical requirements and mechanical prowess.
-Hullbreaker Isle and Tam Tara/Stone Vigil HM - These three dungeons constitute the Duty Roulette: Expert block currently. Clear them each at least once, or farm them if that's your preferred method of i80 acquisition and Soldiery farming.
-Ballad: Ultima - At this point, Ultima most likely will provide little that will be of use to you, but if you want to clear him once for fun, or really need an i80 neck piece, Minstrel's Ballad: Ultima's Bane is there. A clear on this is eventually required for Savage Mode Second Coil, far down the line, should you get to that point.
-Big 3 EX Primals - Garuda, Titan, and Ifrit EX are one of many paths to an i90 weapon and i90 accessories. They have been dropped as requirements for other content, so if you don't feel like you need more i90 gear, or are struggling to complete some of these, it is now possible to skip over them.
-The Binding Coil of Bahamut - The biggest method to farm up i90-95 gear at this point, the original Binding Coil will provide you with your first taste of Premier 8 man content, albeit with a very generous Echo buff and a few nerfs to the numbers and mechanics of the fights. Completion of Turn 5 is required for access to the Second Coil of Bahamut.
-Leviathan and Moggle Mog EX - These two are required for Ramuh EX down the line, and can provide you with i95/i100 gear, including weaponry. Both have had progressive Echo added in 2.3, which should make clearing and farming them easy enough to let them drop down a tier.
-Syrcus Tower - The second Crystal Tower/24 man instance. This will get you access to a single i100 drop per week, or an Oil of Time/Unidentified Allagan Tomestone for access to an i110 accessory upgrade or i100 weapon purchase.
-Relic Zenith/Animus/Novus - The long path of upgrading your relic. None of the steps require clearing any of the harder content, and are more focused on simple grinding. If that sounds like something that would appeal to you, this can be a path to a long term best-in-slot weapon for many classes.
-Weathered Gear - Keep capping your Soldiery weekly, and use those tomes to Acquire Weathered Gear. Upgrading these pieces requires Sands/Oils of time, which can be acquired via Syrcus Tower, Hunts, and Second Coil.

Tier 3 - Turn 5 and Beyond - The True End-Game
-Expectations - By this point you should have completed Turn 5 or be actively working on it. Content from here on out will drop all pretenses of the Echo buff and require you to actively work on your skills and gear to make the cut. A minimum iLevel of 90 in all slots should be considered for the following content. The below content provides rewards in the i100-115 range.
-Ramuh EX - Another source of i100 weapons, and i100 rings. A challenging but readily beatable fight. Can save you some Soldiery or help smooth out bad drop luck from Second Coil.
-The Second Coil of Bahamut - The real heart of End Game content currently. Four turns, four bosses, and a whole lot of suffering. Expect to need a static group, and/or a whole mountain of dedication to clear the turns. Drops i110 gear, i110 upgrade items, and the coveted i115 weapons from the final turn. Turn 4 completion is required for access to Savage mode.

Tier 4 - For the Brave
-Expectations - In order to tackle the content in this tier, you must have completed both Second Coil Turn 4 and Ballad: Ultima. Your gear should all be i110+ or close to it. Content in this tier is purely for bragging rights/titles, and not for the feint of heart or easily enraged.
-The Second Coil of Bahamut (Savage) - The insane man's version of the Second Coil. Provides no added benefits other than a title for each turn cleared, at an insane difficulty spike. Maybe you'll be the first to clear some of these turns?