Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Argarth

On the verandah
I thoroughly enjoyed fishing in FFXI (partly because of the danger of fishing up monsters that could kick your arse) but vaguely remember it also being useful for cooking.

Is that no longer the case?

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I thoroughly enjoyed fishing in FFXI (partly because of the danger of fishing up monsters that could kick your arse) but vaguely remember it also being useful for cooking.

Is that no longer the case?
Fishing is still used extensively for cooking. A few of the higher level recipes that cost about 7-10k a HQ dish use some, but most of the large 2 star and 3 star fish are not used in cooking. They are more like NMs for fishing (they have nicknames like "Ol' Smokey" and such). The one fish that is the most expensive for cooking is Mahi Mahi which is not even a starred fish.

To Flight's point and what I was kidding him about is that you can get the most expensive swimsuit in the game that girls seem to go ape over (Sea Breeze) only from desynthing high level fish (80 and above at least). On my server it goes easily for 1 mil and up.

rrr_img_73129.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Fishing also has its own completion minigame, you want to fill up that fishing log entirely, it's a pretty good way to waste time. Can also fish minipets, but I assume by now they're worth jackshit, back when the server was new though and no one bothered leveling fishing since no one used food anyway, you could make millions fishing the pets. Obviously you could make millions crafting for 10mins a day too, so it wasn't really that great but it was something.

Hmm dilemna, I wanted to resub to this but it seems there's gonna be 2weeks of free login play at the end of the month for the aniversary(august 22nd to some time in september, might be a week and a half). Might find something to do in the meantime instead, but at the same time PoE releases a mini expansion during that same time, and Tales of Xillia 2 is also released on the 22nd. Hate when all the shit I want to play stack in the same period of time. Will probably do FF though because Ninja should hit shortly after the free duration, keep Xillia for later and PoE maybe for the first few days of the league.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
If someone RAF's me, do I need to buy a box? Thinking of getting RAF'd to play it on PS4. Don't mind starting with a new character from scratch.

Stave

Potato del Grande
If someone RAF's me, do I need to buy a box? Thinking of getting RAF'd to play it on PS4. Don't mind starting with a new character from scratch.
I will RAF you, you need to buy a box or digital DL from Sony to play it though. The 14 day free trial is only for PC. You can find PS4 copies for around $30 with a free 30 day gametime if you look around. Amazon has it for $30 right now. I PM'd you RAF info.

Virus_sl

shitlord
Can one be raf'ed if they purchased the game during the release and didn't ever subscribe? Or to get the mutual bonus would I have to buy a whole new retail box?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can get RAFed if you have never subscribed, need to make sure to accept the RAF before subbing. Note that RAF doesn't give any playtime though. You can check the game out with the trial or you can wait until the 22nd they'll have a free week then for the anniversary.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Recruit a Friend code if anyone wants to start playing, just state here if you use it.

36W9DMR4

Use it when you set up your Square Enix account, and if you end up subbing for a month you will get a 20% xp bonus hat to use until level 25 on your jobs.

I am on Gilgamesh server, there are still some of us rerolleds playing here, or you can use the code and start on any server, it doesn't matter. If you start on Gilgamesh, I can get you some gil and starting gear, my name is Stave Vll.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Gave this a shot. Had way too much forced unskippable dialog that I couldn't care less about and uninstalled. Does that shit go away or is the entire game full of that?

Stave

Potato del Grande
Gave this a shot. Had way too much forced unskippable dialog that I couldn't care less about and uninstalled. Does that shit go away or is the entire game full of that?
You can skip the cutscenes, but yes the newbie intro is a bit heavy with cutscenes to start. After a while though, it's just your main storyline quest (which is actually quite good for an MMO) and then your class quests every 5 levels. Towards 50 they get a bit heavy again as it escalates, but FF series is always known for their stories and they definitely wound a main one in here. Overall it's less cutscenes than a game like SWToR in my opinion, but better quality I felt. General consensus among the board back around launch was the first 10 levels are shitty cutscenes and running around town like a courier bitch, but after that it really opens up.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I too thought that there should be less cut scenes and more collect 15 bear asses. How dare they put story mechanics in my MMO!
rolleyes.png

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's an entire game of that as far as the main story goes and it only gets worse.

Did you get as far the 2 hours of "teleport to Horizon then manually walk to me so I can explain the plot to you" or the 3 hours of "teleport back to Camp Drybone because this is the only zone in the game we can add phased content to for some reason" or the hour of "teleport to one of the main cities, if you are lucky this is subtle direction to a side quest be probably not."?

End game you get points towards gear for repeating the easy anti climatic story dungeons and then finally you can auto skip cutscenes.

The actual GAME is good, but the STORY is one of the worst in gaming history.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's an entire game of that as far as the main story goes and it only gets worse.

Did you get as far the 2 hours of "teleport to Horizon then manually walk to me so I can explain the plot you just saw to you again" or the 3 hours of "teleport back to Camp Drybone because this is the only zone in the game we can add phased content to for some reason" or the hour of "teleport to one of the main cities, if you are lucky this is subtle direction to a side quest be probably not."?

End game you get points towards gear for repeating the easy anti climatic story dungeons and then finally you can auto skip cutscenes.

The actual GAME is good, but the STORY is one of the worst in gaming history.

misery_sl

shitlord
Got to 50 on my arcanist, 47 black mage, 31 bard, and 31 white mage. The game is pretty good invisible walls and cutscenes aside. Also all water is ankle high, oh well.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Is there a free trial for this game? I am so fucking bored right now.

Found it. Who wants to play with me?