Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yay, another mudflation clusterfuck. Why bother introducing new content if it'll be irrelevant in 3 months?

Argarth

On the verandah
Looking for advice on classes that in later levels might reduce the "perception" or "feeling of intrusion" of the 2.5 sec GCD, perhaps because of the way they are played? Giving the free trial a go, and have all classes to ~ level 10, so only have 3 skills to go on. I'm Enjoying the pugilist (monk) the most, as even at this low level I seem to do the most moving around, and the animations seem to "use up" a large chunk of the GCD.

Is anyone with high level characters able to comment on which classes/jobs are most able to "disguise" the GCD? Might be because of play style, instant spells between GCDs, lots to do that distracts you from thinking about it, heh =) etc.

Thanks

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
monk is probably a good start. Lowest GCD of the classes and a lot of possitional abilities in their attacks.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wait, lemme get this right (Cause Im playing right now and want to know what to expect:

You get an Elite Hunt Mark once per week that awards 40 Soldier per S Elite. Soldier Tomes can be turned in for ilvl 100 equipment. The amount varies from 375 to 875 Soldier Tomes. You also have Blood Spattered Tomes, which two can be turned in with Oil of Time to upgrade ilvl 100 gear to ilvl 110 gear. Oil of time comes from Turn 2+. Much less, the drop rate of a Tome is 1-4%. Its going to take a bit of work to get enough tomes of soldiery, imo, to have a full suit of ilvl 100.

Am I missing something here? Cause I feel like this is being blown out of proportion. The only content I see thats being covered up rather quickly, is everything prior to ilvl 90 gear. The way I see it is the devs are trying to speed up those that arent already in ilvl 90 equipment. Especially since the top tier raider would be in ilvl 115. Also, since ilvl 90 equipment has been out for a minute (Turn 2), and that was around in the re-release.

Im only stating what I perceive, so if Im wrong - please correct me. I would love to know where the game Im just now getting back into is slacking.

Daidraco

Looking for advice on classes that in later levels might reduce the "perception" or "feeling of intrusion" of the 2.5 sec GCD, perhaps because of the way they are played? Giving the free trial a go, and have all classes to ~ level 10, so only have 3 skills to go on. I'm Enjoying the pugilist (monk) the most, as even at this low level I seem to do the most moving around, and the animations seem to "use up" a large chunk of the GCD.

Is anyone with high level characters able to comment on which classes/jobs are most able to "disguise" the GCD? Might be because of play style, instant spells between GCDs, lots to do that distracts you from thinking about it, heh =) etc.

Thanks
I dont know about the the Monk or Pugilist, but most of the DPS classes Ive played, especially the Summoner (at 50)- Have several skills that are on the GCD, but quite a bit of instant cast spells off the GCD. That is, if you are playing properly to what is considered the "correct" rotation.

I do know where you're coming from though - When I first started playing, I was playing a Paladin. At the time, it was very GCD dependent. If your duty was to be the reliable interrupt - good luck doing any meaningful dps, because the interrupt was on the GCD. /facepalm

Stave

Potato del Grande
Wait, lemme get this right (Cause Im playing right now and want to know what to expect:

You get an Elite Hunt Mark once per week that awards 40 Soldier per S Elite. Soldier Tomes can be turned in for ilvl 100 equipment. The amount varies from 375 to 875 Soldier Tomes. You also have Blood Spattered Tomes, which two can be turned in with Oil of Time to upgrade ilvl 100 gear to ilvl 110 gear. Oil of time comes from Turn 2+. Much less, the drop rate of a Tome is 1-4%. Its going to take a bit of work to get enough tomes of soldiery, imo, to have a full suit of ilvl 100.

Am I missing something here? Cause I feel like this is being blown out of proportion. The only content I see thats being covered up rather quickly, is everything prior to ilvl 90 gear. The way I see it is the devs are trying to speed up those that arent already in ilvl 90 equipment. Especially since the top tier raider would be in ilvl 115. Also, since ilvl 90 equipment has been out for a minute (Turn 2), and that was around in the re-release.

Im only stating what I perceive, so if Im wrong - please correct me. I would love to know where the game Im just now getting back into is slacking.
You're right, and he is also right as well. Yes, if you are in a super hardcore raiding guild that can farm Turn 2 you will get the best gear and the rest will be of non value to you. But it's really no different from WoW or any other MMO where you have gear for casuals, and gear for your top end. That list above is a lot of content for non hardcores, but it is linear, and if you skip right to the last step, the stuff before it will offer you little reward, just like any other MMO really.

Anyways, I am having a blast pugging Turn 1's, Crystal Tower, and farming tokens for weathered gear, which are all valuable paths to gear up. Weathered would be the best, but that will take time due to soldier 450 weekly cap, so there are nice drops from other places in the meantime to fill in slots. And then there is also now pathways for me to gear up alt classes, and even level alt classes. I think they are doing a pretty good job balancing it out personally, there is a ton of stuff to do in this game, and it is all pretty fun and feels like it has purpose unlike some other games of late.

Argarth

On the verandah
I dont know about the the Monk or Pugilist, but most of the DPS classes Ive played, especially the Summoner (at 50)- Have several skills that are on the GCD, but quite a bit of instant cast spells off the GCD. That is, if you are playing properly to what is considered the "correct" rotation.
I was going to ask about the Summoner, I'm assuming that late game you are manually casting pet abilities as well?

Daidraco

I was going to ask about the Summoner, I'm assuming that late game you are manually casting pet abilities as well?
Each one has 3 to 4 abilities you can micromanage. You can be super awesome and micro manage, or just snooze through them and be average.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Each one has 3 to 4 abilities you can micromanage. You can be super awesome and micro manage, or just snooze through them and be average.
Remind the class why you'd micromanage a knockback and stun against a raid boss that's immune to both. (What I'm saying is you really only have 2 buttons to keep an eye on, one of which is an AE.)

Argarth

On the verandah
Ok thanks for the tips guys, fairly certain I'm going to give it a crack.

Looking to start on a realm popular with Australian/Oceanic time-zone players (is there such a thing); any recommendations? From what I have read so far, joining a Free Company sounds like the first order of business, yes?

EDIT * (Hmm, just pinged the NA and JP Data Centres, and got 252 ms and 147 ms respectively. Further reading yielded Tonberry & Tiamat (JP) or Behemoth (NA) for Aussies, sound about right?

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Its going to take a bit of work to get enough tomes of soldiery, imo, to have a full suit of ilvl 100.
Can also do a quick Syrcus Tower for i100 gear as well, one piece a week in addition. No soldiery needed. People are usually passing on gear so they can get the oils anyways.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord

Am I missing something here? Cause I feel like this is being blown out of proportion.
You're right in so much as that's what you receive if you just complete your weekly Marks, however, you can join a party/alliance and take down an unlimited number of Elite Ranks. Assuming you receive full contribution reward you will be receiving 50 Allied/100 Myth/40 Soldiery per kill. You need the basic pieces of gear before you can upgrade them, yes, so there's still a number of weeks of being capped at 450 Soldiery before you can do that while supplementing your gear with the once a week drop from ST.

Fact remains though, why bother running the dungeons they release when you can just cap out on a handful of hunts while earning superior levels of Allied Seals and Myth Tomes? They seem to be releasing content that is already redundant currently.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
You're right in so much as that's what you receive if you just complete your weekly Marks, however, you can join a party/alliance and take down an unlimited number of Elite Ranks. Assuming you receive full contribution reward you will be receiving 50 Allied/100 Myth/40 Soldiery per kill. You need the basic pieces of gear before you can upgrade them, yes, so there's still a number of weeks of being capped at 450 Soldiery before you can do that while supplementing your gear with the once a week drop from ST.
Have you actually done this recently or are you reading about it ? The vast majority of Hunt mobs are not tier one and only reward 5 seals and 10 Soldiery IF you are in a full party and IF you manage to get to the mob and take enough part in the fight to get a contribution. If you aren't in a party you get a single (1) seal.

The tier mobs you are referencing are like camping Quillmane - and you have about a 30 second window in which to get to the fight and take part in it once it spawns.

Now if you want to get a party together and spend dozens of hours camping these things then good luck and no shit it's not much fun.

I do agree with you that they shouldn't reward top level gear and it's quicker to do Hunts than go through progression, but it is optional and it's a ballache.

Fact remains though, why bother running the dungeons they release when you can just cap out on a handful of hunts while earning superior levels of Allied Seals and Myth Tomes? They seem to be releasing content that is already redundant currently.
This underlines the fact that as well as being no fun it's entirely optional. There is a massive amount of content and various options at various ranges of difficulty. Here's an example of the progression of upgrading your weapon from Relic on up :Zodiac Weapons - Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Wiki - FFXIV / FF14 ARR Community Wiki and Guide

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Cause running around to and fro, waiting for mobs to pop only to get there and see some idjits pulled it already and killed it within 45 seconds is a worse option for many.

Lot easier to keep mining, farming, fishing, crafting, etc while you wait for a quick dungeon pop which is a walkthrough nowadays. Hell, you just spiritbind all your jewelry and if you're wearing anything 90, any dungeon including Syrcus Tower is not only still cake, but you get quick and easy materia that you can sell for 30-250k.

Fuck those hunts.

edit: also, anyone still doing Atmas and Animus probably isn't going to want to run around chasing hunt mobs either. Sticking in one spot and spiritbinding or farming while waiting for that dungeon/FATE is still easier to finish your atmas or books. Not sure what they did or how much of a huge influx is in the game now, but you don't wait longer than 20 mins for a dungeon now in LFG, even if you are a DPS. I've had to turn down pops because the dungeon pops kept interfering with my mining.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
You also have to remember that going through the progression upgrading your relic weapon will never be redundant. It's useful at every tier as soon as you get it, plus they have said they are going to keep on adding upgrade paths for it.

As an aside, woot :

rrr_img_73024.png

Took me two weeks off and on.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Silly query for those that have levelled their desynth to a meaningful level (can do i70 gear):

I was planning to just desynth armor exclusively (ie - raise Weaver/Leatherworker/Armorer) but I keep looking at fish going "gtfo of my bags" plus the Demimateria and other rare things they provide. So... should I stick with my plan or start gutting some guppies?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I think Goldsmith is the best desynth class IMO. From what I understand, it's one of two that can do every type of demi. But I haven't desynthed enough to know (My max desynth level atm is only 80)

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Silly query for those that have levelled their desynth to a meaningful level (can do i70 gear):

I was planning to just desynth armor exclusively (ie - raise Weaver/Leatherworker/Armorer) but I keep looking at fish going "gtfo of my bags" plus the Demimateria and other rare things they provide. So... should I stick with my plan or start gutting some guppies?
The vast majority of fish give useless junk or Clear Demimateria (which is vendor trash). Reports that the highest level fish can desynth into rare crafting materials, but as you're into Fishing you know what it takes to catch those, so it depends what you are looking to do.

Decent thread on it here :Fish Desynth