Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm approaching 50. What should I be doing for gear progression?
Find a Hunt group that keeps an active Google Spreadsheet up of spawns. For Gilgamesh and connected servers, its American Steak Theory. Get in that, farm your 450 weekly and then go about your business doing quests that will lead you up to the content that is better than ilvl 90. Im just going to finish off upgrading all my armor to i90 before I put the Hunts down and its apparently what most people do. From there, though.. You're going to have to ask someone like Jaen for guidance.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
There is a post a few pages back where someone explains the tiers really well. Should be a couple pages back quoted, and then a couple of pages back for the original post. It's a wall of text.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Absolutely hate what they did with the spiritbinding. Now you have to actually match your level 45 Gathering ring with the 'appropriate level dungeon' or you get little to no binding. Kind of dumb because the kind of materia that you usually made doing that (level IIs and IIIs) was already selling for anywhere from 15k-40k, and that was with a glut of them.

Now they lowered the chances for those to be sold because it takes longer, and people won't want to run dungeons like AV just to spiritbind shit so I'm expecting a huge jump in prices in a couple of weeks. Not sure why they did this because it's not like there was too much cheap materia floating around already.

misery_sl

shitlord
Got scholar to 50, then got the summoner stuff for level 50, got black mage to 50, then white mage to 50. Just finished getting blm, sch, and whm relic and all lvl 90 gear with a couple 100s in there. Now I'm leveling my mrd, so I can have a tank class. Also have 31 bard, 20 lancer, 16 pugilist, and 18 glad. I'd say I'm currently enjoying this game, despite a couple of downsides.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
So where is the population at now? I decided to retry this game and its a virtual void zone with no people anywhere. During a 3-4 hour play period I managed to get to level 10 and did not see one person say a word in any of the city zones or the starter zones at all. Complete dead silence in the 4-5 zones I visited. This was on Gilgamesh as well, supposedly one of the highest pop servers.

/crickets

Stave

Potato del Grande
Got scholar to 50, then got the summoner stuff for level 50, got black mage to 50, then white mage to 50. Just finished getting blm, sch, and whm relic and all lvl 90 gear with a couple 100s in there. Now I'm leveling my mrd, so I can have a tank class. Also have 31 bard, 20 lancer, 16 pugilist, and 18 glad. I'd say I'm currently enjoying this game, despite a couple of downsides.
Wish more MMO's copied the class system. I love how once you max out a job, you don't feel like you have nothing else to do. And leveling classes for some reason just doesn't feel near as lame as leveling alts. Also bonus for being able to loot trash drops from raids and saving it for your other jobs.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
So where is the population at now? I decided to retry this game and its a virtual void zone with no people anywhere. During a 3-4 hour play period I managed to get to level 10 and did not see one person say a word in any of the city zones or the starter zones at all. Complete dead silence in the 4-5 zones I visited. This was on Gilgamesh as well, supposedly one of the highest pop servers.

/crickets
The cities tend not to have a lot of chatter, because most people are in FCs/Linkshells with all their conversation. Once you get into like Eastern Thalanan and other non-newb zones, you see more general conversation, as that is where people tend to be at these days.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good God man. Go to Mor Dhona or w/e. The place has a billion people in it all the time. The levels leading up to 50 are relatively empty because shit, the games been out a while man. I can level up in WoW and go a zone or two without ever seeing a person as well. Even after the instancing shit they did.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also because leveling alts seem to be mostly done in instances nowadays, since quests are a one time thing. So the only people you see questing in general are first timers, making every zone fairly empty besides like gatherers/fishers/bots.

Argarth

On the verandah
Absolutely hate what they did with the spiritbinding. Now you have to actually match your level 45 Gathering ring with the 'appropriate level dungeon' or you get little to no binding. Kind of dumb because the kind of materia that you usually made doing that (level IIs and IIIs) was already selling for anywhere from 15k-40k, and that was with a glut of them.

Now they lowered the chances for those to be sold because it takes longer, and people won't want to run dungeons like AV just to spiritbind shit so I'm expecting a huge jump in prices in a couple of weeks. Not sure why they did this because it's not like there was too much cheap materia floating around already.
Because a system thatencouragespeople to wear "junk" gear while doing instanced content with other players was a mistake, and I think SE knows it? Why try to be the best that you can be, when poor/slow runs can be attributed to "lol stfu noob, we're all spirit-binding, get with the program..." Don't care if they're "just farming runs" by the way, and would really like to see the materia production system completely redesigned.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Why try to be the best that you can be, when poor/slow runs can be attributed to "lol stfu noob, we're all spirit-binding, get with the program..." Don't care if they're "just farming runs" by the way, and would really like to see the materia production system completely redesigned.
The 'best you can be'? Didn't realize I was signing up fer the Army or watching Men In Black.

The dungeons we are talking about are easily crushed with a full left side of i90, which is easily crushed out by running Hunts (which btw, is more broken than the spiritbinding shit) for a week. So someone taking in a full left side i90 which is already better than anything that drops inside of it, and a right side of 45-50 crap is somehow ruining the run because it's 5 minutes slower? The only reason people are running dungeons now are for styles, spiritbinding and the mandatory Animus books. Don't know anyone in there trying to be all they can be in a PUG.

I didn't realize we were shooting for ESO's timed PvE dungeon bullshit runs to see who can beat out someone's previous time by 30 seconds.

Argarth

On the verandah
/snip ... Don't know anyone in there trying to be all they can be in a PUG.
Well, I kinda expected that sort of reply, and thanks for the video, made me chuckle =), and of course I exaggerated to make a point, but so did you (timed runs, lol) so I guess we are even.

I recently started playing, so yeah, I'm pugging everything, and yes I do try to have the best gear available to me at all times, and to understand and play my class(es) well. The whole spiritbinding/materia system just seems arse backwards in a gear-centric game like this, and unless you can think of a better reason for them changing it, then it would appear they somewhat agree with me.

No offence meant, and differing opinions etc.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Well, I kinda expected that sort of reply, and thanks for the video, made me chuckle =), and of course I exaggerated to make a point, but so did you (timed runs, lol) so I guess we are even.

I recently started playing, so yeah, I'm pugging everything, and yes I do try to have the best gear available to me at all times, and to understand and play my class(es) well. The whole spiritbinding/materia system just seems arse backwards in a gear-centric game like this, and unless you can think of a better reason for them changing it, then it would appear they somewhat agree with me.

No offence meant, and differing opinions etc.
That's the point, they didn't change the materia system at all. It's still a very integral part of the game. They just made it more difficult to attain.

You said you just started and honestly, wearing any pink gear you find from either doing leves (treasure chests or rewards) or drops in dungeons is good enough. The Faction gear from their shop is even better than that stuff and lasts far longer (at least 6-9 levels) and are just bought for faction seals, which are easily gotten from FATEs. At 50 you stop wearing the pink stuff and move directly to Myth now due to Hunts. Even green isn't worn anymore as people take that and desynthesis it all; gear, weapons, jewelry.. all just melted down for field and battle materia now.

The endgame requires you not only to have materia, but to have unholy gobs of it depending on how you plan to play in the future for Coils. Not sure if you've done crafting at all, but as an all 50 crafter I can tell you that overmelding materia (process where you put more of it in there than it's supposed to have) gets extremely expense because the only way you'll ever hit the 1-3 star recipes is to do that. Even putting all the best melded gear possible into your craft gear still can mean you won't get HQ items and can still possibly break the craft. If you don't start off putting the most expensive materia into your gear from the start (IVs) as a crafter and work down, then you not only hamper yourself later on by not being able to progress but will cost yourself a crazy amount of gil because you'll have to redo everything (had to do it). The problem is a lot of the lower melds require IIIs and IIs. Those are what the changes affect.

Now if you skip crafting altogether and just want to get the best weapon in the game for your class you know, the 'best you can be'? (/wink), then that means Novus. Getting your Novus weapon is no small feat and the amount of battle materia you will need will probably run you around 8-10 million gil depending on server. The only way to counter that is, yep... to spiritbind like a fiend. For them to make it that much more difficult didn't really make much sense if they were planning on fixing it. That would have been a chance in the slotting rate, not a change in the drop/spiritbinding rate.

Don't worry, no offense taken nor none meant. Was funny when you said that and my brain immediately went to Will Smith's reaction when he heard it.

edit: can't seem to stop typing 'material' instead of 'materia', unless that's the spellchecker doing that.

misery_sl

shitlord

/crickets
Gilg is not the highest pop server. Also, I have never felt like the game is a ghost town. I play on Fairy(sp?) and groups of people are always doing hunts and fates in every zone I've been in, sometimes it gets so bad I can barely get any contribution because things die so quick. Queue times for everything are very good. Towns have lots of people. Lots in RT, lots in every other city too. Unless you're playing at 2-9 in the morning, then you might have trouble finding people. Since it was released a year ago, I am honestly surprised at how many lower level people I am seeing. I was going to transfer to another server, but I quite like my server.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, Gilgamesh seems to be hopping. Even at the weird times I play - like 7, 8 AM EST - there are always people around, lurking in the cities or around major leve/fate hubs, doing dungeons.

I think it seems quiet mainly because folks just don't use zone chat very often. There isn't a running Barrens chat type conversation going all day, for sure.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Now if you skip crafting altogether and just want to get the best weapon in the game for your class you know, the 'best you can be'? (/wink), then that means Novus.
That's slightly misleading. The best weapon you can gain currently is from T2 Coil and S-E have maintained the highest level gear will always be obtained from endgame not crafting/questing. You can completely skip crafting/materia entirely in FF14 if you choose to raid or spam the buggery out of Hunts.

Unless I'm missing something outside of Glamour and Zodiac Weapons what really is the point of crafting/materia? Mix/maxers would maybe argue food has its place but, really, that's tenuous at best.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
You can completely skip crafting/materia entirely in FF14 if you choose to raid or spam the buggery out of Hunts.

Unless I'm missing something outside of Glamour and Zodiac Weapons what really is the point of crafting/materia? Mix/maxers would maybe argue food has its place but, really, that's tenuous at best.
Glamour doesn't even take materia, so no need to lump that in with this at all.

Zodiac weapons are being designed to be the best longterm weapon available in the game; over time and building each phase it will be stronger than any drop.. at least that's what Yoshi plans for it. So someone not doing the materia part for the Novus will always have to continue to hope they get a drop from a dungeon for Allagan's, or Branigan's or Thanigan's w/e the next dungeon drop brings, and we know how likely that is for most people (not very). Basically keeping up with the weapon ensures that a player can do it at their own pace and not have to wait for raid nights twice a week or something. It's another option to gear up and eventually will always be the best one.

As far as asking about the point of crafting, not sure I understand that question in a game like this.

You have eight crafting classes which are all very robust and detailed. They are all interdependent on one another in some way, which means the auction house/market will always be tied to them and everyone has a stake. They just implemented private rooms (prelude to personal housing) which use up to 15 items of furniture/trophies in them, fitted on FC houses which also have to be supplied/outfitted. That's a pretty big market already. There is also crafting for things like brooms for the choco stables that you have to keep clean. To make those you have to have a 3 star crafter in your guild. No cleaning stables, chocos suffer.

Crafted battle gear will also never go away, there are people who still use it now to some extent post 50. It's a safe bet that SE doesn't want to make crafted gear totally obsolete and every other patch they play catchup trying to make crafted gear relevant again. If a crafter doesn't upkeep his gear to the highest levels, they can't make those and will eventually be out of the loop.

There's a lot of other uses for crafting and materia such as fishers, miners, botanists you need fully melded materia gear to bring those high level mats to the crafters in the first place to make everything. You also can bet later on, SE will expand it even more to where more drops from battles are used in interesting ways involving crafting.

Just like FFXI, crafting places a huge part in the game... just as much as actual combat in many ways which makes it the main reason I mess around with it. I like game economies that have a vibrant crafting community (ala Vanguard/EQ2) so that players can not just have to log in on raid day and then out again.

Argarth

On the verandah
That's the point, they didn't change the materia system at all. It's still a very integral part of the game. They just made it more difficult to attain.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I should have said the spiritbindingpart/methoditself seems arse backwards in a gear progression game, not the use of materia to improve gear. As I started to read up about it, I got a bit excited until I discovered the only way to get materia to improve gear, is to put (some of) my best gear in my bag and run around wearing other junk. I just have zero interest in doing that, regardless of how easy the content is. Anyway, I've kicked the horse enough.

Thanks for all that other information re crafting and gearing up. I've really just scratched the surface, so there's a lot to look forward to. (watched that clip a few more times, gold =))

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's a fair point. It'd probably be better if they had a system where you can spirit bind a second set of gear without unequipping your gear, but they'd need to tweak(read nerf) the rates a lot and that'd be worse for a lot of people. Maybe let people extract materias from their gear without destroying the items, just reset the spirint binding bar thing. Would still need a nerf but most people would prefer that I guess.

The logic I guess is it's kinda like a gathering skill that you don't need to level, kinda like farming shards. Everyone can do it, but it's a specific activity. It's just weird cause it can be done while doing other stuff too, while actual gathering can't.