Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Glamour doesn't even take materia, so no need to lump that in with this at all.
It's been a month since I played but I'm fairly certain the Augmented Armour required Demimateria when I still played.

Zodiac weapons are being designed to be the best longterm weapon available in the game;
I'm not sure where you're getting this information from, do you have a link? Everything I have read on the subject states they intend for the Zodiac weapon to be comparable with the endgame equivalent (ie slightly lower iLevel) but that the highest level weapons would always be from endgame content.

As far as asking about the point of crafting, not sure I understand that question in a game like this.
The question is simply, from a gearing perspective why bother with crafting at all? As you level you gain superior gear from instances and once you hit max level you can gear up via Myth/Soldiery/CT/ST in short order. High level recipes are comparative with Myth gear (iLevel 90) but cost huge chunks of cash to make and massive amounts of time that can be better spent running instances for Tomes anyway.

While crafting certainly played a massive part in FFXI it really is inconsequential in FFXIV. Yoshi's ethos is the core reason for this, he stated he didn't want crafting to produce endgame equivalent gear because not everyone likes to craft. Look at Medicines/Potions in 14 and compare them to 11 for another example, they're an utter waste of time thanks to the long and unnecessary cooldowns. The entire game is all about marginalisation.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Your original question:
Unless I'm missing somethingoutside of Glamourand Zodiac Weaponswhat really is the point of crafting/materia?
It's been a month since I played but I'm fairly certain the Augmented Armour required Demimateria when I still played.
Unless we are talking about two different things (which is entirely possible), to make a glamour of a piece of armor you want to replace the current looks of your existing armor, you do not need any materia. I make that stuff almost everyday. You get the recipe from Rev's Toll in Master books, craft two of whatever mid-level mat is needed (silver ingot, steel ingot, toad leather, etc), then use an empty glamour that encompasses the level of that item you want to copy (1-21, 21-40, 41-60, etc). Then you just hit "Glamour" and copy that piece onto your main armor. Again, no materia needed. Also, DEMImateria is different than materia. Demimateria comes from desynthesizing gear/fish and equipment where you might get one of three levels (I, II, III) and several kinds (battle, fieldcraft, clear). That's not needed for glamours or augmented armor at all. It's used to mix with the newer recipes like Dodore accessories for crafting/gathering.

I'm not sure where you're getting this information from, do you have a link? Everything I have read on the subject states they intend for the Zodiac weapon to be comparable with the endgame equivalent (ie slightly lower iLevel) but that the highest level weapons would always be from endgame content.
Letter from the Producer LIVE Part XIII QA Summary (04/09/2014)

Yoshi: A: In my 55th Letter from the Producer, I touched upon the Saga of the Zodiac Weapons, which will be introduced in patch 2.2. This isn't something you should expect to complete in patch 2.2?it will continue through patch 2.25 and 2.3. Until now there have been mainly two means of progression: the first being defeating powerful enemies in end-game content to obtain high-item-level equipment, and the second being collecting Allagan tomestones to purchase gear. The Zodiac Weapons do not have the restrictions of these two methods, but are designed to take a long time to complete. As they require the collection of items with a low drop rate, their item level has been set fairly high. Ultimately you'll be able to customize attributes such as spell speed and critical hit rate to a certain extent,and we plan for the design to change significantly over time. This will essentially become the weapon upgrade system that I've been talking about up until now.
The question is simply, from a gearing perspective why bother with crafting at all?
It's not just only from a gearing perspective but if you want to make a razor-honed focus that narrow, sure... crafting doesn't need to be in the game, oranygame. Most now are already loot pi?atas anyways. In fact, using your same focus why does PvP need to be in any game? Certainly most people don't do it, it adds nothing to the economies of any mmo, the gear is hardly ever statted correctly and it creates animosity in communities that are PvE based. It's only added as a diversion in most cases; to give players an alternative to when they are finished with the PvE content (or bored with it).

That's too fine of a razor; you're asking why is crafting important for only one facet of the game (gearing), when in FFXIV it's important to thewholegame. I already mentioned what it's involved in... everything. Housing, pets, chocobo mounts, glamour gear, harvesting gear, crafting gear itself, and most importantly... to the lore of the series. It's clear FF fans wanted materia to be included as continuity from the original games just as chocobos are or the Primals are. Materia was in weapons and gear long before they even considered MMOs as a way to make gear stronger than you found it. It's about player customization and choice which Yoshi clearly states above.

Right now it's restricted somewhat in that when a player is doing the Animus books because SE isn't done implementing it. A player's job determines what attributes go on the weapon currently as fixed; BLM will get 1 Determination book, 3 Vit books, 2 Spell Speed books, 3 INT books, etc. They can't put Parry on their weapon or Dex (not that they'd want to). It's a basic weapon system in it's current form but even that completed form is only slightly less than Allagans. Taking it the next step with materia to Novus makes it better than Allagan's. That's what they plan for the relics long term so that players can potentially have better ones through a long and arduous path. Example: A BLM will probably be able to stack as much Spell Speed as they want through a point system and not put any HPs on his weapon, or maybe more Piety instead and less Determination. Right now you don't really have that option completely but Yoshi wants it.

Yoshi's ethos is the core reason for this,he stated he didn't want crafting to produce endgame equivalent gearbecause not everyone likes to craft.
Guess it's my turn to ask for a link you might have based on what I linked above. I've seen that said nowhere and everything in the game pretty much points to crafting and customization as the basis for everything in the future, just like all FF games.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Don't want to get into a huge quote post thing but when I'm referring to Glamour I'm talking about equipment people choose to purchase for the sole purpose of Glamour such as anAugmented Saurian Shirt of Striking. It's an iLevel 90 piece of gear so equivalent to Myth-purchased armour and behind Soldiery/ST gear which is freely available now and additionally upgraded Sands of Time armour. It's a purely cosmetic piece and as you can see from the recipe it requires a fair chunk of Demimateria. Again, I didn't craft because I felt it wasn't worth the timesink for subpar equipment. I raised Alchemy to 100 in FFXI and the rest as close to 60 as my sanity would allow and that was more than enough pain for me to last a lifetime.

Regarding that quote you posted, nowhere there do I see mention of the Zodiac Weapons being the best weapon in the game.

I already mentioned what it's involved in... everything. Housing, pets, chocobo mounts, glamour gear, harvesting gear, crafting gear itself, and most importantly... to the lore of the series.
Let's look at this for a moment through a fairly cynical pair of glasses. Housing is pretty much fluff content for a female playerbase. Very few male players give two shits about making their houses look anything but functional and the majority of the benefits they offer can be freely obtained in any city. The housing and chocobo raising (laughably referred to as raising when it's feeding+cutscenes) will come without the FC requirement in future updates although it seems pretty stupid linking it to FC's first before offering it to individual players but this is S-E after all. Pets... perform no function other than appearance. The crafting element of Chocobo mounts, namely the broom, can be obtained from vendors now, no? The other grown items etc so you can change their colour is for purely appearance purposes only. Glamour gear is, once again, by definition for appearance only. Harvesting/Crafting gear which allows you to craft more items for pure appearance purposes only. See a theme here? What other games freely give the player FFXIV has turned into a huge element of their game. Look at the insane requirements just to Glamour your level 45 AF armour or Chocobo dying.

Crafting in FFXI on the other hand was the lifeblood of the game. As a Ninja and Corsair I was dependent on crafters for my tools/ammo and most other classes were equally reliant in differing ways. Crafted gear until the advent of Abyssea was still relevant and required for many endgame encounters even years after its implementation.

Guess it's my turn to ask for a link you might have based on what I linked above.
I'll try and dig it out for you. Now I think about it it was probably a dev post but I'll see if I can find it at some point over the weekend.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So with the free reactivation thing and WoD Never, going to give this another go. Any servers that are particularly non-balls?

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Heads up, in case wasn't mentioned or you skipped over the fine print.

If you start the 14 day trial and then decide to purchase the game, if you apply your code/upgrade trial to regular, you'll lose any days on the trial you had left and the free days the game purchase gives you kicks in.
Figured it was like other MMOs I've played where the free days were appended to the end of the trial period.

Play through the 14 days,and thenapply the code. Not like you need access to /tell, /yell or the markets at such a low level anyhow.

Green Man Gaming has it for $20 bucks if you apply the 20% off voucher code.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Don't want to get into a huge quote post thing but when I'm referring to Glamour I'm talking about equipment people choose to purchase for the sole purpose of Glamour such as anAugmented Saurian Shirt of Striking. It's an iLevel 90 piece of gear so equivalent to Myth-purchased armour and behind Soldiery/ST gear which is freely available now and additionally upgraded Sands of Time armour. It's a purely cosmetic piece and as you can see from the recipe it requires a fair chunk of Demimateria. Again, I didn't craft because I felt it wasn't worth the timesink for subpar equipment. I raised Alchemy to 100 in FFXI and the rest as close to 60 as my sanity would allow and that was more than enough pain for me to last a lifetime.
The only reason I posted/quoted is to keep everything in perspective not as a "Gotcha!". Hope you didn't take it that way.
wink.png

As extremely, impossibly and utterly moronicly rare a crafted piece asthatis you listed as an example, it's not the best example to use. Very few people in this entire game on any server (probably less than 5%) will even be able to make that item and even fewer will be able to afford to buy it just to destroy it for a glamour image. It's still Glamour, which means... it didn't take any materia to make as a glamour which you claimed they do. The materia needed was to make theoriginal shirtpiece so I reiterate; materia is not needed for glamour unlike what you are were incorrectly positing.

You listing that shirt as an example of why materia in crafting is a waste (or glamouring in general) is quite odd. Do you realize the crafting skill that in order to make that piece in the first place, it's going to require:

1. Afully materia melded3-star Alchemist to make the Terminus putty as a mat, twice
2. Afully materia melded3-star Leatherworker to finish the shirt
3. A lot of money either way to make/buy it?

Anyone trying to make this piece simply as a skin for another look is fucking stupid... unless he himself is a 3 star crafter which means he's probably rich or buying gold. No adventure/gatherer could even afford this, unless he was desynthesizing to get the Battle materia IIIs (which cost a ton), in which case he probably does have a fully materia melded fisher or something (extremely tough to get any level III demimateria without at least a fully materia melded anything in the first place). Running dungeons hoping for Darklight gear to drop/win/desynth wouldn't be enough to advance them; they'd have to make their own items like Artisan headpieces to desynth, which again... would require them to already have a fully materia melded (or close) Culinarian at the very least (the easiest way to get them) to make the items for turn-ins.

I highly doubt the majority of people in this game are using supremely expensive materia and mats just to make one-time use glamour pieces. Most just PvP or run dungeons to get the rare looking drops, in which case it makes perfect sense to keep the materia system as it fuels the entire economy, not just for crafters but for everyone.

I had two fully maxed crafts in FFXI (cooking/armorsmith) as well as the others to 60 or so; I know the pain of waiting around all day to hope you get a drop from a Crawler Nest mob to make Ambrosia and hopefully gain pitiful .03 skill that day (unless you blow it up). But this game isn't like that at all. The crafting is actually fun (or at least macro easy) and you've deprived yourself of a much better system based on how bad the previous one was.

Regarding that quote you posted, nowhere there do I see mention of the Zodiac Weapons being the best weapon in the game.
Haha, yeah. I doubt I will be able to find any verbatim quote saying they want Relics to be the most powerful weapon in the game just like you won't be able to find any saying they want dungeon drops to be the most powerful in the game. Basically I think that part boils down to common sense given the clues we've seen over the life of the patches. Yoshi saying that the Relics are not finished but they are working towards that is a big clue. It's like FFXI; the most powerful weapons in the game were from Dynamis; you couldn't just walk into Dungeon X or kill World Dragon Y and grab the best weapon in one afternoon on a lucky drop from a dungeon boss. There was still a lengthy and ongoing process to make it that way.. which is what they have planned for this one. You'll keep the same weapon and it will always be for most people doing it, the strongest weapon in the game at any given time (unless you're extremely lucky with a drop and don't have to do all the steps). If you think crafting is worthless in regards to endgame weapons/gear, I respect your opinion but it's wrong for the majority of the base who are doing it and the economy that's tied into it.

Let's look at this for a moment through a fairly cynical pair of glasses.Housing is pretty much fluff content for a female playerbase. Very few male players give two shits about making their houses look anything but functional and the majority of the benefits they offer can be freely obtained in any city. Crafting in FFXI on the other hand was the lifeblood of the game. As a Ninja and Corsair I was dependent on crafters for my tools/ammo and most other classes were equally reliant in differing ways. Crafted gear until the advent of Abyssea was still relevant and required for many endgame encounters even years after its implementation.
I think you're already doing that for the both of us, so no need for me to join you as a Devil's Advocate. Not sure why the default would be strictly a gender based outcome here, lol. If you think only females care about crafting and housing in this game I doubt there's anything I could say to make you see any point, because that's not even remotely fact based.

As a Ninja in FFXI, you were dependant on someone to make sushi, someone to make powders.. that's it. No one made your weapons. That was relic or world drops. Same thing here in FFXIV; someone has to make your DPS food for COILs. There isn't any ninja yet so you don't need powders but you/I don't know if that will be when they launch yet (although unlikely).

Plus, {{citation needed}} about females-only wanting housing?

Btw: if this is too long or rambling, apologizes. Visited a bud in CO for the first time since legalization and he gave me something called "Bruce Banner" or "Hulk" (can't remember what) and I brought it back East and trying it right now.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Btw: if this is too long or rambling, apologizes. Visited a bud in CO for the first time since legalization and he gave me something called "Bruce Banner" or "Hulk" (can't remember what) and I brought it back East and trying it right now.
Hulk is what all you delinquents are being caught with right now. So thats probably the one. Ive never heard anyone bring up or say Bruce Banner, though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Heads up, in case wasn't mentioned or you skipped over the fine print.

If you start the 14 day trial and then decide to purchase the game, if you apply your code/upgrade trial to regular, you'll lose any days on the trial you had left and the free days the game purchase gives you kicks in.
Figured it was like other MMOs I've played where the free days were appended to the end of the trial period.

Play through the 14 days,and thenapply the code. Not like you need access to /tell, /yell or the markets at such a low level anyhow.

Green Man Gaming has it for $20 bucks if you apply the 20% off voucher code.
It kinda says so right on the trial page thingie, I remember reading it. Also I guess it depends on how much you play, 14days is more than enough to hit the cap on like a combat class and a gathering class, so no market would be quite annoying.

Game's free for a week at the moment though. No trial needed if you have an account from release and want to check stuff. Reading reddit though that means a bunch of servers are dying and shit.

Daidraco

It kinda says so right on the trial page thingie, I remember reading it. Also I guess it depends on how much you play, 14days is more than enough to hit the cap on like a combat class and a gathering class, so no market would be quite annoying.

Game's free for a week at the moment though. No trial needed if you have an account from release and want to check stuff. Reading reddit though that means a bunch of servers are dying and shit.
Im in two really talkative link shells and have made a lot of good friends. If there is an Exodus, I cant tell. I need to join a guild that I can actually raid with, but thats not even a concern right now. But if that many people are truly leaving, then I would have to contribute the hunts to it. I had no idea how butt hurt some people are about Hunts.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Im in two really talkative link shells and have made a lot of good friends. If there is an Exodus, I cant tell. I need to join a guild that I can actually raid with, but thats not even a concern right now. But if that many people are truly leaving, then I would have to contribute the hunts to it. I had no idea how butt hurt some people are about Hunts.
I didn't mean dying as in empty, I meant dying as in crashing and not letting you relog. Cause of too many people logging in due to free week. Might be resolved already though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New ninja short gameplay video, looks pretty damn sexy:

Also logged in for an hour yesterday, had no fucking idea what I was doing. All my UI shit is gone since it was on my older PC so I had to start redoing gear sets(which is painful, I have like a billion of crafting armor sets in my bags and had like 3bags full of crafting materials and fishing shit). Really love some of the improvements though, like you can summon your chocobo AND mount, such a crazy idea. And the fact you don't have to tab the inventory and instead display all at once, shit's great. Prices seem to have gone up from what I've checked, fucking relic precursor shitty WHM item is like 2k to make buying the mats but is somehow back up to 40k for the HQ version(which is still utterly pointless I'm sure). I still have the logs of the last few items I sold before quitting and it was down to 12k when I left. Weird thing is the price of the mats didn't go up, just the price of the item. Probably will start pumping low tier crafted shit on the AH and get me to 10millions. Think I'll level warrior to cap too.

Daidraco

like you can summon your chocobo AND mount, such a crazy idea.
Wait, did I miss something? When I have my Chocobo Companion out, I cant summon my mount. I can only mount my Chocobo Companion. Am I reading that wrong or do I not know about something in game?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wait, did I miss something? When I have my Chocobo Companion out, I cant summon my mount. I can only mount my Chocobo Companion. Am I reading that wrong or do I not know about something in game?
Oh yeah that's what I meant but like back then, you couldn't do that shit at all. You had to dismiss your companion to mount(any mount, including chocobo), and then you had to resummon it whenever you wanted. Now you can just mount it without the constant unsummon/resummon. Made it annoying as shit to use the companion for anything but spiritbinding(where you'd stay in one area for a while). Also dismount when you turn in quest automatically. Little things like that are great changes.

Daidraco

Oh yeah that's what I meant but like back then, you couldn't do that shit at all. You had to dismiss your companion to mount(any mount, including chocobo), and then you had to resummon it whenever you wanted. Now you can just mount it without the constant unsummon/resummon. Made it annoying as shit to use the companion for anything but spiritbinding(where you'd stay in one area for a while). Also dismount when you turn in quest automatically. Little things like that are great changes.
Oh yea. I wished they would have changed shit like that to make more sense, but they at least made a compromise and quality of life improvements on things like those. But the game over all has moved in the right direction, considerably. I think the free week was a great idea, cause a lot of people still have a "meh" taste in their mouth from the re-release. Sort of how I think the Ninja looks "meh".

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also I guess it depends on how much you play, 14days is more than enough to hit the cap on like a combat class and a gathering class, so no market would be quite annoying.

You weren't kidding. Already in the mid 30's on my archer and I'm a little butt hurt over buying the game. I don't think I'll be sticking with it. I figured it was a rang-rang game particularly from the grind capital of the world, and thought it'd take longer to max level.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
You weren't kidding. Already in the mid 30's on my archer and I'm a little butt hurt over buying the game. I don't think I'll be sticking with it. I figured it was a rang-rang game particularly from the grind capital of the world, and thought it'd take longer to max level.
Considering 'max' level could be construed as "everything is 50", you still got a ways to go!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well there's a lot more to grind than a single class though. Even assuming you don't want to do crafting/gathering, you still need a bunch of sub classes for cross skills. And then it's fairly typical wow-esque where most of the game starts at cap, rather than the leveling experience. If you want to grind, they have just the thing for you, you can make your Novus/anima/whatever the fuck this shit is called. Involves grinding several hours of FATEs for random drops then grinding several hours of spiritbinding shit to get the materia/money to buy the materias you need. Gives you a nice shiny weapon for your class. Then you can do it again for every class.

Unless you paid full price for it, I don't feel it's not worth the money though. Even at full price I felt it was worth my money, I liked the dungeonq, the primals, kinda liked the story near the end(imperial shit and all that), liked the world, it was a nice mmo experience imo. I loved crafting and really liked the fishing log shit too even though I originally thought I'd hate it. Something strangely addicting to spending hours trying to find the right weather in the right zone with the right lure aat the right hour of the day and finally fishing the one rare fish in that area and getting it completed.