Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This has probably been asked before but is there a changelog of whats different between the most recent patch and the original release?
There is a detailed reddit post that sums up the patch notes since launch:
(Patch Notes, Universal Summary) : ffxiv

It's a lot of stuff, granted a lot is kinda obsolete so you run it once and don't do it again, but it's pretty nice to have so much stuff to do as a returning player. I've been playing for a bit more than a month now and there's still some stuff I haven't done, but I did level alt classes a lot.

It's very easy to catch up currently, will probably be in 2.4 too. At the moment, all you pretty much need to do is get to 50, unlock hunts(which require max GC rank, which if you were 50 at release is probably already unlocked), then hunt a couple of hours every week to cap soldiery tomes as well as buy full AF1.5 set with allied seals(i90 armor) then after 3 weeks, you use your soldiery to buy a ilvl100 weapon and upgrade it to 110. Only other thing you want to run is ST at least once a week for the UAT for the weapon and then sands or i100 armor drops. Might need to run more than once a week depending on wether you get the drop you need that week or not. So the requirements timewise are fairly low. There's daillies but you don't have to do them(beastmen daillies have reputation and shit like wow, but the rewards are all cosmetics, minions and mounts) so you kinda do what you want to do.

Note if you have plans to play a ninja, it is possible, though unlikely, that it will require a 50 that has progressed far enough in the story. They could add the class regardless but the appearance of the ninja trainer and rogue guild is done during the leviathan arc of the main story, so it wouldn't be that surprising that it would be required. Then again it'd probably be annoying for many people so they might not do that.

Libra_sl

shitlord
Anyone know of any high pop NA servers? I played the free trial for this today and got to level 12 and I'm really enjoying it, which surprised me. I rolled on Cactuar but it seems really dead in the newbie starting zones but maybe it's like that on all the servers now. Basically looking for a NA server with a healthy population. I'm going to be playing casually.

Edit: Been reading back through the thread and it sounds like Gilgamesh still has a pretty healthy population -- at least the posts from about 30 days ago say so. And apparently the newbie zones are pretty quiet everywhere. I think I might buy a copy of this. Looks like I can grab it for about $18.50 on Green Man with a coupon discount. Seems like a decent price to see if I like it for the first month. I'm rather enjoying it through level 12.

Edit 2: If anyone has a RAF code, I'll take one. The Friendship Circlet that gives 25% XP boost sounds pretty nice if I roll a new character. Hit me up!

Edit 3: Looks like the friendship circlet is only given after I subscribe for 30 days. Not sure if I will last that long, but send me a code anyway if you have one.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I rolled on cactuar too, actually was forced to since everything else was blocked for me.Yeah I think that's how most low level areas are for the game since once you get your first character to a high level along with a chocbo, getting through the low levels goes by quickly. Usually when I hit a low level area its all people farming fates for the atma (epic weapon quest). I am happy being on cactaur. I started my character when the free trial was first introduced so there actually quite a few people leveling up as the same time as me. The areas seem to be a lot more empty lately. I guess everyone either gave up or got their character to a high level.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Some low level areas you'll see people doing FATEs with high levels for atma(relic weapon quest) and stuff, but in general yeah they're kinda empty. You'll still see a few people in every zone though.

misery_sl

shitlord
Little bit about the RAF rewards. Neither the recruiter, nor the recruit get any rewards until after the recruited individual has actually paid for at least a month of game time. So if you're still on your free trial, you won't actually get anything until your card is charged. They won't charge your card until after your free trial time is up. So if you are on your free trial, and you want your rewards, your option is to buy a game time card and add it to your account.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Into my third month of this, best sub money I've paid since Vanilla WoW. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that I wish I had more time to spend with it, heh.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I just resubbed and have to patch a shit load... i'm going to regret this i knows it
frown.png

I don't even remember how high or what classes i got to on launch lol

at least it's a change for a month until WoD drops~

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I just resubbed yesterday. Logged in, shouted "how do I gear up, I'm ilvl 48 warrior" got invited to a FC, and they carried me through HM Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan (I got the Ifrit and Garuda axe). I'm now up to ilvl 60

Needless

Toe Sucker
I just resubbed yesterday. Logged in, shouted "how do I gear up, I'm ilvl 48 warrior" got invited to a FC, and they carried me through HM Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan (I got the Ifrit and Garuda axe). I'm now up to ilvl 60
what server are you on? the majority still on Gilgamesh? I'm pretty sure thats where i ended up transfering to lol
Pretty sure i stopped in the 30s somewhere on my paladin, might just level a different job up from the start to get use to the game again

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well if you're still leveling it's not too complicated really, you just kinda follow the mainstory again, do sidequests, queue for dungeons when they open(most of them are gated via story anyway) and shit like that.

Things you want to do to maximize leveling:

- Above all, do your main story quests. Also do your class quests every 5 level, you need to have them all done to unlock the job quest at 30 and you get new skills at 15 and 30 as well as every 5 levels after that for your job quests.

-Make sure you cap on GC seals via FATEs/leves(take the GC leves, not the normal ones, check google for where the leve givers are for specific level ranges) so you an unlock GC upgrades as they come.

- Make sure you do your daily roulette for low level dungeons(might be locked if you didn't unlock specific dungeons, again google the dungeon name to figure out how to unlock) it basically gives a level for one run, unless it's like ifrit then it give half a level for 3mins of fighting. Do the guildhest roulette too, it's not that much xp but it's pretty easy and fast xp.

- Do guildhests every 5 levels, 2 of them open up, they give a lot of xp the first time.

-Do your weekly challenge log, assuming it's open(if not, find the NPC to open it, forgot where it is so again check google). Mostly it's doing shit you'd be doing like FATEs and guildhests and dungeons but it gives a ton of bonus xp for doing everything.

- Do dungeons, they're the best xp, especially on the level they open due to bonus xp, so you probably want to queue often, though the harder dungeons are prone to failure in pubs so you might want to skip these. If you're a DPS, queues can be pretty garbage.

- Do FATEs/leves as fillers otherwise, they give about the same xp with leves being repetitive but potentially giving better rewards and FATEs involving more running around and potentially missing them.

- Alternatively, do sidequests, they're not great xp but they're less boring than FATE/leves, kinda. They're very bear ass-like though, so up to you.

Good ressources:Gamer Escape's Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) wiki
Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (FFXIV ARR) Database

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also double posting cause different subject, 2.4 isn't hitting until the end of october, assumed release date is oct 28th. Unlikely it'll be earlier, possibly the week after.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'd +1 you but i can't
frown.png

Thanks homie!

I'm going back and leveling up Marauder atm, just to get use to the game again.. my highest atm is only a 35 Gladiator w/ Paladin

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Marauder/WAR is a ton more fun than PLD anyway. PLD is a fucking snoozefest, it's great for like leading a raid and calling shit cause the only shit you have to do is use cooldowns when you need to, rest is 1 2 3 and press 2 buttons when they're up. WAR has various mechanics built in like a combo point system and 3 different combo chains so it's a lot more dynamic, though their cooldowns are also quite a lot shittier(but they get a bunch of self healing and useful shit so it evens out).

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Also double posting cause different subject, 2.4 isn't hitting until the end of october, assumed release date is oct 28th. Unlikely it'll be earlier, possibly the week after.
Considering the Live Letter is, what, the 19th? I'd say the week after, two at the most. For sure we'll find out then.

RE: PAL/GLD - They need to give them more use of MP as well, and/or make Riot Blade meaningful as a tanking device. Even Maim's combo is useful for both points, because of the mitigation of Storm's Path. Really, they need to adjust GLD's weaponskill chains as a whole. Putting the -Str debuff into Rage of Halone wasn't entirely inspired, considering how the mitigation for GLD, and PAL's Shield Oath, factor in. If they changed one skill to combo off of Riot Blade and do something like using your MP to soak some of the damage, then it'd at least be a pinch more interesting.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's what I meant, the live letter is generally a week before patch, so that ends up being october 28th since they announced they'll do the live letter during the fan fest thing. It's very unlikely they'll patch 2days after and possible they'll patch 2weeks after(so first week of november).

Needless

Toe Sucker
They really should release it before WoD launches to reduce the competition lol

So far i've done 1 dungeon and ended up getting 2.5 levels.. the exp rate in there is so much better now, gat damn!