Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What's the current consensus on WAR vs PLD for tanking?
They're both great main tanks, warrior kinda better as off tank due to stronger snap threat, paladin kinda better as main tank on progression content because Hallowed Ground is an OP defensive cooldown, but both can do either fine. Paladin is boring as shit to play though, while WAR is pretty fun, so personally the only tank I play is my WAR, but that depends on people's tastes I guess. WARs used to be kinda garbage compared to paladins but in 2.1 they buffed them a lot to make them more viable and they've been good since.

To be honest the balance is a bit surprising in the sense that every class is good. They don't have many classes and the classes don't have specs so it makes it much easier to balance I'm sure, but you can basically play any class and no raid would tell you they don't need that class unless they already have it(stacking classes works fine, it's just suboptimal loot and utility wise).

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Paladin is superior mitigation Warrior is higher HP though both put spare stats into Vitality until very end game. Paladin is sword and board, Warrior is 2H Axe. In vanilla Warrior was seen as more AE DPS and the AE theme carried over to tanking. I enjoyed leveling both. Big thing is that Paladins don't get an AE attack of any note on a decent cooldown until lvl 50, instead they get an AE spam aggro builder instant cast 'spell' called Flash. So at engagement of a group Warriors go straight into a weapon combo routine that generates AE aggro while Paladins kick off with a couple of uses of Flash. Neither have aggro issues either against either solo mobs or groups.

I hate healing Warriors with a passion, especially when I was leveling. I see a lot of folks say Warriors tank as well as a Paladin, but IMO the majority of the time it's just the healers working harder. I enjoy playing Pallie more than Warrior (I'm epic geared on both).

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
They're both great main tanks, warrior kinda better as off tank due to stronger snap threat, paladin kinda better as main tank on progression content because Hallowed Ground is an OP defensive cooldown, but both can do either fine. Paladin is boring as shit to play though, while WAR is pretty fun, so personally the only tank I play is my WAR, but that depends on people's tastes I guess. WARs used to be kinda garbage compared to paladins but in 2.1 they buffed them a lot to make them more viable and they've been good since.

To be honest the balance is a bit surprising in the sense that every class is good. They don't have many classes and the classes don't have specs so it makes it much easier to balance I'm sure, but you can basically play any class and no raid would tell you they don't need that class unless they already have it(stacking classes works fine, it's just suboptimal loot and utility wise).
This is probably me talking out of my ass, but it seems to me (at least from DPS and/or healing balance wise) that obfuscating DPS behind 'average potency per GCD' makes it easier to plan your numbers around, no? Except Lustrate, because we all know how good Lustrate is as a healing device. (Yet they nerfed Second Wind from being %-based.)

Novus can also kiss my ass. Discuss.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Thanks for the info on tanks. I'm going to start back up again later today on Gilgamesh have a 50 bard but was thinking of playing a War to 50. If anyone has a decent guild and wants another player for endgame stuff let me know.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This is probably me talking out of my ass, but it seems to me (at least from DPS and/or healing balance wise) that obfuscating DPS behind 'average potency per GCD' makes it easier to plan your numbers around, no? Except Lustrate, because we all know how good Lustrate is as a healing device. (Yet they nerfed Second Wind from being %-based.)

Novus can also kiss my ass. Discuss.
Bunch of classes have off the GCD attacks, procs and different DPS cooldowns(like raging strikes, internal strikes, blood for blood which have varying numbers depending on the class or aren't available at all in some cases), so it's not that easy. But I guess in some ways it might be easier than wow classes for balancing purposes, due to no talent or glyphs, making the classes more basic.

Needless

Toe Sucker
It seems if i log on and do the daily roulette guildheiste and the dungeon finder it pretty much gives a level while rested... i'm going to do that for the next couple weeks until i cap level~
fuck questing and fate grinding.

oh yeah and wtb a FC to join

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It seems if i log on and do the daily roulette guildheiste and the dungeon finder it pretty much gives a level while rested... i'm going to do that for the next couple weeks until i cap level~
fuck questing and fate grinding.

oh yeah and wtb a FC to join
Yeah pretty much it's easy to get one level a day in like an hour nowadays. Doesn't take very long to get more though but eh if you don't care about getting to 50 before 2.4, probably doesn't matter much. You should do your main story quests though, it unlocks a lot of shit including dungeons, endgame content and other shit like that. Also keeping up with GC ranks can be pretty useful once you hit cap since I believe you can't access the hunt vendor until you've done the quest, which requires max rank. Not 100% sure though and the seals cap is very high so you wouldn't be losing anything if you have to do it once at cap.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah pretty much it's easy to get one level a day in like an hour nowadays. Doesn't take very long to get more though but eh if you don't care about getting to 50 before 2.4, probably doesn't matter much. You should do your main story quests though, it unlocks a lot of shit including dungeons, endgame content and other shit like that. Also keeping up with GC ranks can be pretty useful once you hit cap since I believe you can't access the hunt vendor until you've done the quest, which requires max rank. Not 100% sure though and the seals cap is very high so you wouldn't be losing anything if you have to do it once at cap.
Yeah, i forgot about story quests. I'm going to keep up with those, and class quests as well obviously but yeah.. not a whole lot of interest in grinding fates and shit endlessly though.
I'm not worried about hitting 50 before 2.4 at all, because i... like a billion other people plan on going rogue -> ninja anyway. Speaking of, did they say what else Ninja needs?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, i forgot about story quests. I'm going to keep up with those, and class quests as well obviously but yeah.. not a whole lot of interest in grinding fates and shit endlessly though.
I'm not worried about hitting 50 before 2.4 at all, because i... like a billion other people plan on going rogue -> ninja anyway. Speaking of, did they say what else Ninja needs?
They really haven't said shit about the requirements, the stats, the armor type or other important details. As I explained also before in this thread, it's possible, though unlikely, that you'd need the story quest advanced enough to unlock the class(the trainers are shown during the Leviathan arc). I assume it won't be the case as it'd be pretty annoying for a lot of people but eh, they did make stuff like Atma and Novus, so it's possibility. I've kept all my dragoon, archer and monk leveling gear in case of, I'll just destroy everything when I know for sure. And since I have every class at 50, that part is also not an issue. Just need to farm a bit more gold so I have enough for a house and a comfortable amount on the side(aiming for 10millions atm, which I should probably get by next week), maybe finish farming a 2nd set of atma for the ninja and then do whatever.

Gameplay wise, what makes the most sense is monk or dragoon sub, and monk/dragoon as cross class skills. Archer and Marauder are also possibilities for the cross class but very unlikely for the sub class. If you want to stretch your thinking a bit, thaumaturge sub could be a possibility but the cross class would be absolute garbage so doubt they'll go with that. Getting everything to 15 isn't really hard though, you do hunting log for 1-10 plus maybe like 2leves/fates or whatever, then you do guildhests+hunting log for 10-15 and that's pretty much it.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Supposedly, RE: Rogue requirements (meaning, I have to find the source), you just have to be level 10 and/or have the "can unlock another class" requirement. You'd think it'd be "must be current through 2.2 main scenario" for obvious reasons there, personally. As to their gear, why bother keeping the levelling gear rather than just make yourself a bunch of crap and/or materia it all to sell for those doing Novus?
smile.png

You'd think they'd just let you char-create as Rogue, though, rather than the weird "must be level 10" requirement.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's dungeon drops gear, it's better than crafted, fuck melding low lvl stuff plus the materias are expensive. It's getting converted once I'm done but no point in converting now. I don't have full sets mind you, just a bunch of pieces at various levels, rest I'll craft once I know what type of armor they use/stat they use, which probably won't be until 2.4 itself. Luckily since I have every craft maxed and a decent amount of mats, I'll just craft as I level without much of an issue.

And yeah the lvl 10 thing was ambiguous, it was during the live letter but it was translated and even then it wasn't particularily clear. Maybe the 2nd live letter will have more precision on the subject, but not sure, I think they want to keep an element of discovery, hopefully they didn't make stupid choices(like forcing people to do the leviathan arc in the story quest first, which would make a lot of people returning angry I guess).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
ff14_10_cs1w1_720x.jpg

2.4 is serious business. They posted 2 blog entries too on the Lodestone about Hildebrand(which Ultros/Typhon are a part of) and Shiva.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They've always been good at creating cool-looking monsters to smack the shit out of.
They didn't really create those, unless you mean in general. Those are FF6 iconic bosses, they have been then added to some of the later FF(or remakes of the older ones), so it's pretty nice to see them. They're even fought in the same colisseum that they end up working in near the end of FF6 after you beat the shit out of them several times. They did that already in that same questline where you end up fighting Gilgamesh from FF5(and then from other FFs).

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
They didn't really create those, unless you mean in general. Those are FF6 iconic bosses, they have been then added to some of the later FF(or remakes of the older ones), so it's pretty nice to see them. They're even fought in the same colisseum that they end up working in near the end of FF6 after you beat the shit out of them several times. They did that already in that same questline where you end up fighting Gilgamesh from FF5(and then from other FFs).
I will be astonished if the Typhon/Ultros fight is not a Trial in the way that Gilgamesh's fight is.

Diamond Dust (I assume that's what's shown in the Shiva Extreme picture) is awfully purty. I need to get my butt in gear on Ramuh Ex stat.
frown.png

2.4: I wonder if the first we'll even get teases about Third/Final Coil is at the Live Letter from FanFest next week? Something says we won't get any info about Rogue/Ninja actions until the data is mined from patch day.
tongue.png
My real question, though, is whether we'll see the loot lock lifted from Syrcus Tower or not, or if they will hold off on that until they put Second Coil on Duty Finder (like how First Coil was a little after 2.2 launched).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I would assume ST lock would be removed, but they might keep it to stall gear catchup progression, so you'll only be able to upgrade to i100 soldiery and still need several weeks to get 110 sands(or well a lot of hunts), while on the side every few weeks you'll get the new I guess i120 armor. They might put 2nd coil in DF right away though I don't know. And yeah seems no news on 3rd coil, Dengeki and Famitsu exclusive articles were about ninja and about hildebrand/shiva, so we might hear a little bit about it in the fan fest but I think they'll mostly keep it secret for the surprise, plus they don't want to spoil story bits and what not.

And yeah Ultros/Typhon is definitely gonna be a trial. I hope eventually they make them into EX version or whatever with some loot and a few new mechanics, so they don't just stay mostly unused like Gilg currently is.

Got White and Silver dyes today, I'm ready for Ninja AF recoloring.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The PC version is getting a Game of the Year edition. I may just buy it because it looks super nice. November 14th
I hated that I just couldn't get into the game because it had so many solid elements all the way down to the music. It really felt like a MMO of 10 years ago with a "today" appearance.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
They only posted three pictures of Final Coil in thepreviewcocktease today, but I'm already going HNNNG at the idea of going into the bigass spherical shell that was the Dalamud.