Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Was levelling my bard and i noticed his DPS seems abysmally low, i thought it was just a levelling thing/
Bard DPS is garbage until later on, especially the 48 trait is a massive gamechanger but even in general it sucks for a while as you level up. During 2.0, and like 2.1, Bard DPS was actually top tier. It's only as gear scales up that it fell a bit, plus any progression stuff you're gonna be playing songs like it's a fucking concert so your DPS drops a lot from that, on farming content though you can still do reasonable damage(as in, within 10% of monks unless the monk has a monk bitch and the boss stands still, say like T8).

ixian_sl

shitlord
During 2.0, and like 2.1, Bard DPS was actually top tier.
I miss old Blood for Blood and Inner Release.
frown.png

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
I just quit Archeage, but it left me with a lingering MMO itch. Is this a good game to jump into? Can someone give me a rundown of the state of the game, or a website that I can read about the state of the game myself? Thanks!

Naj_sl

shitlord
I just quit Archeage, but it left me with a lingering MMO itch. Is this a good game to jump into? Can someone give me a rundown of the state of the game, or a website that I can read about the state of the game myself? Thanks!
The is a very slow paced, PVE focused game. They try to emulate the methodical feel of the turn based games in the series with a slow GCD.

If you're into the raiding scene, the raid tiers which they release ("Coils") are extremely well tuned, to the point where the world first kills of the final bosses of each tier have been withinframesof hard enrages. The slower pace allows them to design encounters where the fight plays out exactly the same every time, putting more emphasis on memorization than twitch or reaction. Some people love it, others hate it. These have come out regularly at 6 month intervals, with four encounters to a tier.

The casual pickup style content (dungeons, etc) is pretty brain-dead simple to the point that it makes WoW LFR content look complex. The competent MMO players will not really find any value in any of it, but an extremely large portion of the player base would never be able to handle any sort of content that attempts to challenge them.

If you're going in blind the storyline and such will keep you entertained for a good 30-40 hours, which may be worth the entry cost to you with how often the game goes on sale. If you can get a good raiding group together, coil tiers will keep you entertained for a month or so every other patch, but if you can't I don't know how much value the endgame will provide to a player that likes to be challenged. I ended up quitting after clearing the first two coil tiers, but I did enjoy the process of clearing them. (T3 wasn't out at the time)

ixian_sl

shitlord
I think it's a great game to play as long as you approach it with the right mindset. I was a hardcore FFXI player and wanted to approach this game with the same mentality, but it just doesn't work here. I took a break and came back to the game with the launch of 2.4 and now treat it somewhat casually. At the moment, I'm working on the later stages of the relic upgrade quest and will probably upgrade another relic after. Mostly though, I'm excited for what the devs have in store for the expansion since they're not recreating an entire game.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man this has outlasted most other mmo's in recent memory as far as maintaining a sub model. Having said that I am hoping they go f2p so I can check out all this new stuff!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Man this has outlasted most other mmo's in recent memory as far as maintaining a sub model. Having said that I am hoping they go f2p so I can check out all this new stuff!
It seems unlikely they'd go F2P, as they're not doing poorly so there's no real reason, plus they now added cash shop random shit on top for even more money making, similar to wow(mounts, pets and even dyes which is pushing it quite far but eh). They also have an expansion coming and it's a safe bet it's going to sell decently well since it has a lot of cool stuff, like flying chocobos, crazy good CGI trailers(it is final fantasy after all) and still basically no competition on PS4. Oh and for FFXI players it has a bunch of classes(Dark Knight + one class that might be Agent + one healer + maybe another though 3 is more likely).

They do free weeks every now and then, should check it out then. Though not sure when next one will be, maybe for 2.5 patch.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I quit ArcheAge about a month ago and picked up FF14 since then. I've got an i105 Ninja, but I made my character while Gilg was blocked so I'm on Siren, which is pretty void of skilled players. I'm considering transferring to Gilg.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So the japan fest keynote is over(or well almost), they announced a few things as expected. CE has a dragon mount+gryphon mount+Cecil/Kain goodies+dragon figurine+big box, nothing really special though looks pretty nice. Big announcements were probably the race and classes.

Race is Au Ra, which is like an dragon-ish human, it's more human than dragon though, kinda looks like Dragon Age's Qunaris with horns and shit, have tails, Yugiri is that and she might be revealed during 2.5 content.

Classes are Astrologian for the healer and Machinist for the gun based class. Astrologian has some sort of solar system replica as its weapon(looks really cool, even though kinda big) and can pull tarot cards to do stuff, Machinist uses a pistol that seems to change form into a gun and can summon bots. They also showed some Dark Knight early footage with some skill animations and shit, looks like what you'd expect tbh.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here's a more detailed run down from reddit and pics.

Summary
  • New main theme by Nobuo Uematsu.
  • New race: Au Ra. Basically people with dragon features (horns, some scales here and there.
  • New raid : Mechanical beast Alexander
  • New healing job : Astrologian
  • New DPS job : Machinist
  • New mount : Dragon
  • CE exclusive mount : Griffon

New race: Au Ra
  • Pair of curved horns on head.
  • Partial scales (will upload screenshots later)
  • Males are very muscular. Females are cute, almost miqotte like, with .
  • Hail from east continent of Orthad
  • Yugiri is an Au Ra

New raid dungeon Alexander
  • primal summoned by goblins
  • is visible from the public field.
  • battles are fought inside it.
  • normal & hard mode planned.
  • normal is like current coil with echo.
  • hard is like current 3rd coil but harder.
  • Not required to have cleared Coil

New healer job: Astrologian ????
  • Main arm: star globe (yes, it's a globe)
  • Uses cards as weapons.
  • 6 cards, each has a different effect/element/thingy
  • no base class
  • SE president appears welding a gun. I think it's called a flintlock? (It works.)

New range DPS job: Machinist
  • no base class
  • main arm: Gun
  • dead damage from afar using a combination of firearms
  • uses attachments and mechanical turrets (the round flying thing) New mount Dragon
  • Shown flying around Coerthas.
  • Yes, a dragoon is riding it. Heavens Ward Collector's Edition
  • Exclusive box art featuring Yoshitaka Amano's 'The Dragonsong War' illustration
  • The box/packaging is HUGE, about the size a PS4 box, but fatter.
  • Figure of the new dragon mount.
  • Some video thingy
  • 'It looks expensive? Yes it's expensive.' - Yoshida
  • New mount Griffin
  • In game item: Dark Knight Cecil themed Baron Helm
  • Kain minion

Videos:
Au Ra:http://a.pomf.se/ltwexc.webm
Dark Knight:http://a.pomf.se/xqdbbw.webm
Astrologian:http://a.pomf.se/jktuif.webm
Machinist:http://a.pomf.se/numrwy.webm

Dragon Mount:http://a.pomf.se/silbza.webm

Pics From Keynote :Fan Fest Keynote Info - Imgur

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Holy shit, Dark Knight wields a 2h Sword and procs tribal tattoos with his attacks. I'm in.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Holy shit, Dark Knight wields a 2h Sword and procs tribal tattoos with his attacks. I'm in.
Note that DRK is gonna be a tank class in this, not DPS.

They're talking about 2.5 now, showing DX11 stuff(it's very subtle shit, mostly shadows it seems) and the last part of Crystal Tower which looks pretty fucking cool. New dungeons too, Wanderer Palace and Amdapor Keep hard mode(yay AV is never getting a hard mode, fuck that place) and new dungeon related to Bahamut's Coil story progression it seems.

And obviously Gold Saucer stuff. There's a Triple Triad card game and other shit, looks pretty fun. Unclear what else there is to do yet, I assume they'll expand on it as patches come, similar to the Beast Tribes stuff, Housing and so on.