Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Yeah GW2/Rift/WoW/TOR def aren't like that.

PFFFFT.png

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
After watching that video, I realized how much I miss games with combat music, and dungeons that are not a single hallway. It.. actually looks good.
eek.png

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
This.

That video looked like crap. Sure it looked shiny, but I assume we're looking at it from the tank's perspective and he just stood there clicking on his hotbar. Then we saw the dps and he just stood there clicking on whatever ability came off of cooldown.

So combat is this:
Stand still.
Click on whatever is off cooldown.
Win.

??
to be honest, TERA combat was predictable as fuck and it gets tedious over time...some crazy shits happen but that's maybe 1/100 runs that I did in HM... If we screwed up, we got pissed and shit. Not enjoyable. Maybe a fun pvp? But tera has a shit engine that caused massive lag..so I dunno. And since its gonna be a fucking grind anyhow, I'd rather it be I dunno...button smash.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's not gonna be an action combat mmo, it's not even close to being as fast paced as wow and similar, at least from what I remember of the beta. It was very similar to FFXI in that regard, even though a lot faster. FFXI was similar to EQ, where you stood there for a while, waiting for your char to finish casting a 6secs heal and then you'd wait for your bar to get back to full in a true final fantasy fashion until you could take another action. It was very slow paced and had very little movements involved, but still the game was fairly fun to play(it was years ago though so maybe I wouldn't think the same nowadays).

It's a different style that might not appeal to most people, but it's better than copying wow GCD system and trying to be a better wow than wow. Being different doesn't necessarily make it better either though, will wait until I play it.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The slow pace really allows you to socialize with your party and linkshell/guild, which for me is one of the biggest things lacking in modern MMOs.

Both EQ and FFXI put huge importance on grouping. Some of my fondest memories of FFXI are shooting the shit while chaining crabs/flies in Valkurm Dunes leveling sub classes.

Everyone is used to the fast paced, WoW-style combat and group content - that it may be too late to go back.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The slow pace really allows you to socialize with your party and linkshell/guild, which for me is one of the biggest things lacking in modern MMOs.

Both EQ and FFXI put huge importance on grouping. Some of my fondest memories of FFXI are shooting the shit while chaining crabs/flies in Valkurm Dunes leveling sub classes.

Everyone is used to the fast paced, WoW-style combat and group content - that it may be too late to go back.
There was a reason I played FFXI for like 7 years and on the same server with almost the same linkshell the whole time (I did quit a few times, moved around a little with linkshells, but always the same people); it was the community. You're right, some of my favorite moments were just spending a couple hours grinding on mobs with friends while shooting the shit the whole time. WoW certainly doesn't have that.. it never will, especially with cross server stuff going on. Now your server is an after thought. The people you group with? Who cares, you'll never see them again.

If the combat turned out to be in the style of FFXI I wouldn't mind at all. From the video it looks like a mix between FFXI and WoW.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have most MMO's installed on my computer, and most expansions up to date for every one of them. Yet, some friends and I fired Project 1999 back up and have been playing that again. EverQuest has slow ass combat, especially from the point of view of a Warrior. Even while pulling, I find time enough to have a conversation in chat with my group. I rarely ever talked in any chat channels during WoW. I was to busy spamming all my buttons so I could top some arbitrary meter and be the best. ---------- Strangely though, Im split on the subject you guys are talking about. Encounters are a lot more fun when I have to pay attention to what Im casting and where Im standing (fire on ground, mob is slamming my direction). The only times I recall getting really involved in combat in EverQuest is when the shit hit the fan. The healers are OOM, the chanter died.. etc. Essentially, I personally want something a little more interactive than EverQuest combat but not completely different? I watched this video and a live feed that was on Twitch.tv (taken down now) on combat and it seems like this relaunch is on the right track for what Im looking for. Ill try this game out again, and I should be impressed. Especially since my expectations are so low based on past experience.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Yes. You can also play characters between PC and PS3 with the same account but you will need to buy separate copies of the game. Unless you already bought the PC version then you will just need to get a PS3 copy. Can't wait to play this in my recliner!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yes. You can also play characters between PC and PS3 with the same account but you will need to buy separate copies of the game. Unless you already bought the PC version then you will just need to get a PS3 copy. Can't wait to play this in my recliner!
I used to sit in a giant recliner in front of the tv and play FFXI all day, best feeling in the world.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm really hoping this game turns out well... does anyone know anything about the combo system? Ill be honest I didn't play 11 long enough to learn anything about it Bc of the ui so i was curious how it'd work in 14

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
My intention was always to pick this up on the PS3 to play with my old FFXI friends but after the initial awful launch I figured that would never happen and, if I'm honest, I didn't much mind after seeing the previous version of the game. Now, I'm quietly anticipating the release and if I enjoy playing it enough on the PS3 I may decide to grab myself another gaming PC.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wide leg computer desk plus lazyboy is just pure win.

I have been living the dream for years
Never understood how people that use their computer a lot have some of the most uncomfortable looking chairs Ive ever seen. Your lazyboy setup sounds nice. Overkill, but nice. Haha!

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Never understood how people that use their computer a lot have some of the most uncomfortable looking chairs Ive ever seen. Your lazyboy setup sounds nice. Overkill, but nice. Haha!
I made the switch about a year ago. Built a new gaming rig and made sure my video card had HDMI out (most do nowadays). Grabbed a wireless keyboard, mouse, and headset, hooked the PC up to the TV, and bought a recliner. Absolutely love it.

As a bonus, I've since completely dropped cable. The rig spends half it's time as a glorified HTPC, and I couldn't be happier with my Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Usenet.

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
I think you need to take into consideration the slow paced clicking in the video, if you have watched all the previous demo videos It leads me to believe they are showing off the skills and what they are using. There are numbers on the hotbars so ya he could easily be pressing 1 2 3 4