Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I got the game free with a CPU, used my 30 days free to get to level 9 and uninstall. Was thinking of forcing myself through the early levels because later levels sound more fun. Could I make use of a free trial, or am I stuck paying for a month subscription just to see if I really want to try playing again? No problem starting a new character, but anyone know if I could import a free-trial character to my account, or would I have to pay for a new copy of the game?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, was about to edit as I finally figured it out. I don't know why games don't offer a 'come back and try for free' because I'd maybe keep playing after a free trial, but I'm definitely not going to pay to find out if I would. Oh well. Will wait for it to go free to play. :p

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The game has a beautiful engine, just wish the game itself was less.. Japan. Pulled a 10232 on 1440p with only a 970 card.
Lalafells and moogles are the primary issues I would imagine with most western-minded players. Everything else is basically just high fantasy+steampunk. But definitely having lalafells show up during serious story moments is like "alright animufags, enough." for most people.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Catgirls and moogles are the primary issues I would imagine with most western-minded players. Everything else is basically just high fantasy+steampunk. But definitely having catgirls show up during serious story moments is like "alright animufags, enough." for most people.
Fixed. Lalafells are the master race.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, was about to edit as I finally figured it out. I don't know why games don't offer a 'come back and try for free' because I'd maybe keep playing after a free trial, but I'm definitely not going to pay to find out if I would. Oh well. Will wait for it to go free to play. :p
They have free weekends(even a free week a while ago), but yeah I said that before too, sub based games should have an automated system that lets you try the game again if you've been inactive for x amount of time after buying the game or what not.

And yeah, I don't think this is going free to play anytime soon.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Don't they like still charge a sub for FFXI?

But yeah, with their current content cycle it most definitely wont be FTP for awhile.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Don't they like still charge a sub for FFXI?

But yeah, with their current content cycle it most definitely wont be FTP for awhile.
Yes they do, and still have tons of subscribers and a new xpac coming later this year.

FFXI is doing quite well, in fact I'm sure they've made more money on it than any other game.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
And yeah, I don't think this is going free to play anytime soon.
That's what they all say!

Was mostly joking since they're one of the last holdouts and seem to be fine with it. Them sticking with a sub is actually encouraging. Maybe it's just psychological, but it makes me think they're more stable financially and have stronger plans when it comes to releasing content than some other games that seemed to be putting so much energy in scrambling to make money via a ftp conversion or cash shop model.

Always found the cost of re-entry for potential returning players to be flawed with subscription games.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Smedley said Free To Play was the future, and as the brilliant up and coming head of Daybreak Studios, I don't know a better person to believe on MMO trends!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes they do, and still have tons of subscribers and a new xpac coming later this year.

FFXI is doing quite well, in fact I'm sure they've made more money on it than any other game.
Yeah, I forget the exact numbers, but FFXI is the most profitable of all SE gaming products, and FFXIV is catching up to it. That's including insane shit like FF12 selling 5m.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's a parser for PC, in fact it's an old EQ2 parser with a plugin for XIV. Search for ACT(advanced combat tracker), and download the XIV plugin for it too. There's another XIV specific parser but it was fairly shitty from what I've seen and not as customizable, though the interface might be a bit more intuitive, not sure on support. It can do things like audio alerts with timers and numbered visible cooldowns on your bar too, if you bother setting it up properly.

Other than that there's the guildworks client that lets you do a few things to the chat like remove gold buyer spam and have a global shout system, kinda. Also does a few other things, not sure how good it is, I didn't care for the features.

UI modding is still kinda on their list, but it was pushed back due to expansion they said, so wouldn't expect until like 3.2 at the earliest, if it even comes before the next expansion in like 1+year.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On that note I saw a really cool macro setup someone did to mimic a customized menu. I may give it a go when I get home tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g52OHwRGfk
Oh yeah that's pretty old, overall the UI isn't terrible but a bunch of stuff could be made better, like cooldown tracking, debuff tracking, TP tracking for teammates and such. All of this can more or less be made with ACT if you bother installing the plugins and configuring them appropriately, but it's kinda clunky and not user friendly, that's why I'd rather they have their own stuff.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Does any usb keyboard and Mouse work with the PS4?

My PC is pretty much dead and decided to play a MMO again and this is the only real option on console, but how anyone can play this game with a controller I do not know. I lasted about a 1hour I was getting stressed out the targetting process and controls are just terrible.

Malkav

French Madman
Oh yeah that's pretty old, overall the UI isn't terrible but a bunch of stuff could be made better, like cooldown tracking, debuff tracking, TP tracking for teammates and such. All of this can more or less be made with ACT if you bother installing the plugins and configuring them appropriately, but it's kinda clunky and not user friendly, that's why I'd rather they have their own stuff.
Yeah tracking both short term buffs and debuffs is really a mess. Wish I could at least filter the debuffs on the target instead of showing everything.

Oh and TP tracking? Come on! They gives rogues a move to restore a party member TP, but you can't know if someone is low and needs some.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah tracking both short term buffs and debuffs is really a mess. Wish I could at least filter the debuffs on the target instead of showing everything.

Oh and TP tracking? Come on! They gives rogues a move to restore a party member TP, but you can't know if someone is low and needs some.
Thought I read somewhere seeing party TP will be in expansion? Not 100% sure though.

Edit : On a side note, glad I came back to finish the story before trying the expac. I thought I would be done in 1-2 days, it's a lot longer then that. Can't imagine the people like me who will wait until expansion release to play. They will buy the expansion , thinking they get to see all the new things, maybe do new jobs, but nope, they have hours upon hours of story to finish before they get to see anything.

Hope SE has a bunch of disclaimers all over the purchase pages/sites, so they can at least say "we told you so".