Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I guess if you have the money and the stuff is cheap enough, just buy the gear. If you have a FC or are on a server with crafters from here, you can skip the entire gearing up process. But really, skipping a lot of post 50 content (there are a -lot- of dungeons) so you can be ready for the expac seems a bit backwards to me. And the process of doing each dungeon and 24man once at least will get you a jump start before you even start spending soldiery (like krip said, spend it on jewelry first, since those upgrades generally don't drop in most of the dungeons) and you might get an allagan tomestone for a weapon doing Laby or ST.

My method was more of the "don't farm" and "don't spend money" method more than anything. The 24 mans can be pretty fun, but doing them a dozen times trying to get drops can get pretty painful super quick, especially since there's only 3 shots at loot in each one, and a -lot- of people need on stuff they don't actually need. Glamors and people just braindead afking through the dungeons, for the most part.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
For those wondering, if you skip all the cut scenes, this is probably 20+ hours. Great guide though. I would suggest saving tomes for the weapon you can purchase with them instead of getting the relic. It will cut a couple of hours off your time and you literally can get carried through Labrynth and Syrcus. No one will even notice you aren't actually attacking.
Eh, I don't know. Doing the first relic quest is WAY faster than running LotA 13 times, and it also won't set you back those tomestones that you need to be spending on jewelry.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
So 450 and a quest to get an i90 weapon versus 1300 to get an i100 and a drop from a dungeon you are doing anyways to get to i110? I would prolly forgo the relic but that's just me.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hmm do you have uncapped high FPS? This game kinda kills my fan and temp if I don't force V sync or force cap FPS with Nvidia Inspector. A lot of games do actually it's annoying as shit, but if I cap it, it's fine. If it's an old PC it might be a different issue I guess since you might not get high FPS to begin with.
That might be it, since it was the biggest change up for GW2...

Myst

Peasant
I am having a hard time finding an active guild on Gilgamesh. Not a lot of them seem to be recruiting, and the ones that do, have at most 3 members online at any time. I tried to get in ValkD but got zero responses from the 5-6 members I tried to get in touch with. Hows the situation now with ISIS?

Mandank_sl

shitlord
I don't understand the guild situation in FFXIV. It's the strangest thing. Wife and I've been in about 5 different guilds. They are small. Everybody is 50. And they don't talk. I've about given up trying to find an active, fun, engaging guild that has a want/need for me to be there. I'm just going to enjoy the game, finish the story, do the expansion and I guess quit since we've yet to find any like minded people to pal around with.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am having a hard time finding an active guild on Gilgamesh. Not a lot of them seem to be recruiting, and the ones that do, have at most 3 members online at any time. I tried to get in ValkD but got zero responses from the 5-6 members I tried to get in touch with. Hows the situation now with ISIS?
ISIS is dead, just like the others you've been finding, but it's expected to make a revival when expansion comes back and people come back. It's as close to a forum guild as you can get. I have a friend in Eterna, and that's where Gori Lla went, and likes it pretty well. Might check them out, as I know they were recruiting.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So 450 and a quest to get an i90 weapon versus 1300 to get an i100 and a drop from a dungeon you are doing anyways to get to i110? I would prolly forgo the relic but that's just me.
There's also 70 or whatever for the first step relic item, and like 50-100k for the materia+precursor weapon, so yeah it's not that great, though it gets you to run stuff that gives a bunch of soldiery too anyway, like chimera/hydra and the 3 primals. It's like whatever, they're both doing content and shit, but getting a sold weap does slow down your overall ilvl quite a bit(1300solds is like 3pieces of the cheap stuff, or 2 of the other). It's not a massive difference though, and with poetics capped at 900 now you can also get 2 pieces of i120 jewelry relatively fast which will end up making it even easier to get the required ilvl to farm CT raids or just do the story shit.

As for guilds I guess atm a lot of them are dead since it's pre expansion lull, shit happens all the time in the months leading to an expansion when content is over. Need a really large guild I think.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Yea people seem to revolve more around statics then straight up guilds. Especially since you just DF the 24 man's.

The Blackrose_sl

shitlord
The reason guilds seem odd is you only need 8 people to do shit. Why recruit 30 when you need 8?
Looking beyond that, what use is there in a guild at the moment? Additional chat channel? Big whoop, can use a linkshell. Guild housing? Cosmetic, and that's if you're in a position to acquire. The purchased buffs? Nice to have, but not required. Storage? That actually works AGAINST guild cohesion. I've already seen a number of FCs break into smaller groups just over storage space (especially in 2.0 to 2.1), with the excuse that they could just cover everything else with a linkshell.

As of right now, there is absolutely nothing holding up the Free Company system as necessary.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I don't understand the guild situation in FFXIV. It's the strangest thing. Wife and I've been in about 5 different guilds. They are small. Everybody is 50. And they don't talk. I've about given up trying to find an active, fun, engaging guild that has a want/need for me to be there. I'm just going to enjoy the game, finish the story, do the expansion and I guess quit since we've yet to find any like minded people to pal around with.
What server are you on?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well yeah it's not necessary, when has a guild ever been necessary in a mmo? Useful, convenient, sure, but necessary rarely if ever. It's the same thing.

It is an additional chat since linkshells are limited and you can have a lot of people in a guild, the housing adds a TP destination as well as easy access to material vendors and stuff if you don't have a house yourself and your own room if you don't have the money but still want to decorate shit. Also good access to market board/linkshell depending on location. Storage is whatever, seems dumb to even use it. The guild buffs are pretty big, you save a decent amount of gold over time using them and some of them are useful for weird crafting/gathering requirements shit. If you have a large guild house, you can use the 3 gardens to cultivate thav onions and chocobo dyes for people.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
playing catch up in this game seems so daunting, just reading the posts it seems like if you arent already 50 and semi set up now is not the time for new people to jump in, usually its the opposite hit max lvl before the expac and nothing matters since everything else becomes obsolete its like a fresh start, the story is in the way here.

If all i had to worry about was hitting 50 and doing whatever gearing up i could before the xpac hits then lvl up to 60 and start even and fresh with everyone else, but this seems like i need to get into a set of raid gear before the xpac comes out or im not "expansion ready"

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Keep in mind that the quest you do to get the i90 weapon will give you about ~300 Tomestones anyways because of the trials you have to do for it + you're not setting yourself back on acquiring right side as much as you would be if you went for the Tomestone weapon.

Due to a recent coup, I'm now second-in-command of the Free Company "Fat Chocobo." We're a small family-style guild, but we're currently restructuring and then we're going to start aggressively recruiting. Our primary focus will be on airship-related content (building airships and doing the special airship raids when they are eventually released) but in the mean time we do a lot of extreme primal runs. We have about 5 active level 50's, and then a handful of semi-active players that are still leveling.

We're currently working on a video for Square Enix's FC recruitment contest. Once that's finished, we're really going to ramp up our recruitment efforts.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Crafted gear sucks.
Why the hell would you buy crappy ilvl110 gear for millions of gils when you can just farm WoD for armor, buy an ilvl100 weapon with soldiery and upgrade it to 110 easily?
i110 crafted gear fully melded is really good. And while fairly expensive, if you have the components, it's not nearly as much (i.e. platinum ring sells for 500k or so, but the components are half that). For a quick way to get to i110, it's not a bad method really.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I honestly wish they would allow you to queue for the 24 man raids as a group. I think you would find a lot more guilds recruiting in higher numbers. Right now the reason to be in a guild is so you can get help and help other people level alts ot so you have someone on vent to talk to while doing duty finder content.

Tecknoe - It's not super daunting. Leveling should take 20-30 hours (depending on how much you stop and check out the scenery) or so and then the story and gearing up for the expansion should take another 20ish. When I came back after a year it took about 8 hours with ilvl 90 gear to get caught up on the story. It won't take you more then 12 hours to get ilvl 90 gear.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can queue as 24man. No one does cause it's shit content anyway, but we did a 24man WoD when it was released.

And Tecknoe, you don't need raiding gear for shit. You might as well gear yourself, but if you have the gear to do steps, you have the gear for the expansion. Getting raid gear basically gives you gear a bit higher level, it's the same as wow, your raiding gear is like +5level but you can just play some random shit geared char and get quest rewards which are good for the leveling part.