Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
K I've been talked into it. I always tank, anyone have an advice for tanking?
Try to keep the mobs on you. But really it depends on your class and shit, if you've played wow it's not too much different other than provoke being a lot weaker(much longer cd, no forced taunt) and obviously the GCD being slow as shit so you need to get those mobs on you asap.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, after reading those patch notes, there's literally no reason whatsoever for anyone who has finished the main storyline to log in prior to the early access patch. Granted it is only a day and 2/3, but yeah, done.

Re: tanking...
If you play a warrior as a main, make sure you get Paladin to 22 so you get taunt. If you main a paladin? Just play a paladin. If you have never played ffxiv and you still need to do everything? Tank is the way to go, just focus on holding aggro vs. doing anything else. The classes have their specific toolsets that change how you deal with each tanking experience, so you'll just have to figure out as you play either class. Don't burn your stuns (either) randomly for dps on bosses. Interrupt the abilities. Oh, and keep your gear somewhat near your character level, because otherwise your healer will complain and you will have to deal with text diarrhea. Because they won't boot you, as tanks simply are too rare to kick in 99.99% of situations.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Gilgamel - Also when you start playing, if you start on gilgamesh, I can make you HQ gear throughout your leveling. Message me (Rexie Soulstar) and I'll make whatever for ya. Additionally, when questing, always pick the money option. The gear you are offered is just normal quality gear that is craftable (And since I can make HQ its pointtless to take the non-HQ). However, they might have adjusted this to where some drops are better, I dunno.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well, after reading those patch notes, there's literally no reason whatsoever for anyone who has finished the main storyline to log in prior to the early access patch. Granted it is only a day and 2/3, but yeah, done.
why do you say that? can you explain to this newb?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
why do you say that? can you explain to this newb?
Well, they are doubling sub 50 secondary job xp with the xpac, as well as converting any current tokens to poetics. Also, all Hand/Land jobs will have a quest gating them, so you most likely will not be able to burn through sub 51 leves to get easy levels with them. Nothing concrete, but it seems like they are making a somewhat hard separation between Reborn and Heavensward.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Gilgamel - Also when you start playing, if you start on gilgamesh, I can make you HQ gear throughout your leveling. Message me (Rexie Soulstar) and I'll make whatever for ya. Additionally, when questing, always pick the money option. The gear you are offered is just normal quality gear that is craftable (And since I can make HQ its pointtless to take the non-HQ). However, they might have adjusted this to where some drops are better, I dunno.
Appreciate it man but my buddy is on Siren. Can't make chars on Gilgamesh anyway apparently.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's still some stuff you can do before the expansion, like getting sold gear with your sold, getting poetics, getting your master I/II books for crafting, leveling gathering or crafting to 50, doing beastmen daillies and so on. It's only a few days away anyway.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Patch Notes_sl said:
The number of company seals received for expert delivery missions has been reduced.
welp.

rrr_img_100390.png

Xalara

Golden Squire
The notes seemed pretty good. Unfortunately the crafting stuff seems a bit rough. Level V Materia isn't fully implemented and it does not seem like you can change your specializations until a patch in the near future, so better hope you don't choose your specializations wrong. Getting back to materia, it seems like crafter and gatherer materia is going to be expensive as hell given this:

Grade five materia for crafting and gathering classes will not be available at the release of patch 3.0. They are scheduled to be added at a later date. However, it will be possible to receive grade five crafting or gathering materia via materia transmutation by speaking with Mutamix.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Played Heavensward for 30 minutes today at E3. Tried out Ninja, Summoner, and Scholar. Here's the new abilities/changes:

Ninja
  • Aeolian Edge: Now only applies full potency from rear. (320 rear, 280 back)
  • Smoke Screen: Reduces target's current enmity. Didn't actually use it, but seems straightforward.
  • Armor Crush: Combos after Gust Slash. Deals full potency from flank, less from rear. Extends Huton duration by 30 sec (max 70).
  • Shadewalker: Reduces target's enmity gain by 80% for about ten seconds. Does not work on tanks (I tried).
  • Duality: Your next attack hits twice. Couldn't really tell if it was working or not.
  • Dream Within a Dream: OGCD attack with a 90s CD. Super meh.

Scholar
  • Indomitability: 400 Potency AoE heal, consumes 1 Aetherflow, long cooldown.
  • Broil: 170 Potency single-target attack, no cooldown, cast time is same as Ruin, mana cost is 5x higher than Ruin.
  • Deployment Tactics: Spreads the Galvanize and Eye for an Eye on the target to nearby allies. Long cooldown, doesn't consume Aetherflow.
  • Emergency Tactics: Your next Adlo (and maybe Succor?) ignores the shield component and heals for that instead. Long cooldown, doesn't consume Aetherflow.
  • Dissipation: Kills your fairy, but boosts your healing by 50% for a while and gives you full Aetherflow. Can't resummon Fairy while Dissipation is active.

SUMMONER (OH SHIT)
  • Enkindle: CD is now only 180 seconds.
  • Painflare: 200 potency AoE centered on the target, consumes 1 Aetherflow.
  • Ruin III: 170 (?) potency casted ability like Ruin. Costs 10x as much MP as Ruin.
  • Tri-disaster: Instant cast, 90 sec CD. Applies Bio II, Miasma, and Bio to target.
  • Dreadwyrm Trans: Every time you use Aetherflow, you gain a stack of Alteration (lasts 30 seconds). When you have 3 Alteration stacks, you can become TRANS BAHAMUT. While in this state, damage is increased by 10% and MP cost of Ruin III becomes half the MP cost of Ruin. (Ex. Ruin normally costs 100 MP and Ruin III costs 1000. While Trans Bahamut, Ruin III would cost 50.)
  • Deathflare: 400 potency instant-cast AoE on the target. Ends Dreadwyrm Trans and can only be used while it's active.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
XOXO for the SCH stuff. Dissipation is completely craycray good, such that I can see why it's the Lv 60 now.

The notes say they changed quite a bit of the Arcanist and Conjurer/White Mage abilities. Any details here?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't know if it's that good tbh. I guess if you crit on Adlo it's worth it, but otherwise your fairy already kinda heals for 50% of your healing output anyway, and you lose access to her cooldowns(so you need to dump everything before you dissipate) and then you need to swiftcast another fairy once it's over. For aoe sustained healing(at least for a small period of time) I could see it being good, you dump Eos aoe heals then Dissipate then spam succor then resummon once it's over. Also benefits the new aoe since you get aetherflow.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
K I've been talked into it. I always tank, anyone have an advice for tanking?
Pull with Shield Lob (Paladin) or Tomahawk (Warrior). When the mobs get to you, hit Flash twice (Paladin) or line them up and hit Overpower twice (Warrior). If you do those things, you should never lose agro sub 50.

The sad part is I am sure you would have figured that out in your first dungeon. The number of tanks who I have played with in dungeons who body pull and then single target rotation through mobs is stupid as shit.

Story Time: A buddy of mine is catching up so we were doing The Chrysalis a couple nights ago. He is a DPS so I queued on my tank to help him get a super fast queue. My Paladin is nothing special but he's ilvl100 so it's not terrible and easily should blow through that content. I pull and I am not paying too much attention, we are fucking around on Vent. I look up and the boss is like at 50% health and the WHM is almost out of mana. WTF??? I keep an eye out. The WHM is rotating between Stoneskin and Cure II. We wipe because I stop getting heals and our DPS is fairly slow. I ask the WHM if he ever played WHM before. He tells me he has been playing it for a long time. I tell him he should never rotate between Stoneskin and Cure II. He tells me I am wrong. His buddy the DPS pipes in and tells me how they do Final Coil like that and I suck. We pull again and this time I pay more attention and burn my cooldowns when I can and we make it to the teleport phase. My Ninja buddy uses the LB on the tear. I run around standing under meteors. The party wipes before the tear goes down. The WHM pipes up in party chat and yells at me for not blowing the tank LB right before going in the tear. Like WTF????

I fucking love duty finder some days. It takes a special kind of retard to play like that
smile.png

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Oh well, that sucks. I was planning to come back and start a Dark Knight. Now I see they need to be unlocked so I have to play 50 levels through the entire story with a class I don't want to unlock the class I want to play...they just lost me. That's fucking dumb.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
That was known months ago. I think they stated it at Pax East. Good news is the exp is so good under 50 now that you can probably play a Warrior or Paladin (who you need to level anyways for cross class skills) in a day or two.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
When you switch to Dark Knight at 50, what level Dark Knight are you?

Level 1 and need to level to 50 again? or level 50 and you just continue on from there?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dark Knights start at level 30, and any job under 50 if you have the xpac has 100% armory bonus instead of 50% like it currently is. So with rest xp, a dark knight could easily hit 50 fresh out the gate in like a day or two depending on playtime. If you have someone actively pling you (you tag mobs, they blow them up) that could be some seriously quick levels. As it is, a rested new class will probably gain 1.5-2 levels per dungeon they run.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
If you figure a level a dungeon without rested and a dungeon takes 30 minutes to run, you would need 20 dungeons or 10 hours to go from 30-50. Most dungeons will now give you more then that. I think 50% of a level at the current rate is what I was a getting when I was at the last level before a new dungeon opened up. I would assume that, not counting in rested, daily roulette and challenge logs, you could go 30-50 in about 8 hours. The more rested and challenge logs you have the better that gets. Challenge log is like 10% of a level for each entry which is pretty big since you get what, 8 entries per week on battle classes (minus PVP)? Add in Hunting log which equates to like all of the experience of level 49-50 and takes less then an hour easy to complete and it's going to go super fast.