Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I am cool with that. I play to mash buttons and kill big dudes to get +better gear.
I'd consider watching the really long cutscenes at the end, and then the heavensward stuff, but eh up to you I guess. Can always watch them later if you change your mind.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is it me or did every single character with exception of Alphinaud get a voice change in this expansion?
Actually Alphinaud's is different too I believe. Best answer I heard was they went with a different studio of voice actors (a package deal, of sorts) due to random issue/money/negotions/whatever. I like the new Urianger better.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it sucked, I just bought one on the AH since it was cheap. The 60 quest is also a master book recipe though, and an annoying one, so I haven't finished the Alchemy questline. In fact, I haven't done any other crafting quests other than the first step for all these crafting xp manuals. I got all my crafters to 60 today finally, and yeah probably not gonna both with red scrips, the investment cost seems ridiculous, I might make the money back but it sounds like a lot of fucking busywork and the first few weeks the prices will be inconsistent so I might not actually be able to sell the red scrips materials for the price of the gathered shit I buy. I bought a bunch of stuff to do some red scrips for cheap for now before it's obvious that there's some way cheaper items in the rotation, but after that I probably won't bother. I have Grandmaster of the Hand now though, hehe.
To make matters worse on the crafting shit - all the red script crafting shit needs adamantite in one form or another (save ALC/CUL and maybe 1 other). Using that as a general example, you have crafters that need a shit load of adamantite for their red scrip farming, but also gatherers that need adamantite for their red scrip farm too (alternative is generally Sun Mica which requires a favor to get). Adamantite is used for so much shit, and often not much makes it to the market because people farm it for collectibles/red scrips, not for actually selling the ore. And all that considered, its hidden behind a single node.

While I'm doing the grind because I'm crazy like that, I agree that it's a total shit design.

Edit: Another thing that annoys me to shit -- I have no doubt in my mind that they lowered the frequency of Good while crafting, in turn placing it behind the heart of.. blocks. During all my crafting getting everything to 60, I noticed that good seemed much, much less common than it used to. Anyone else saw that?

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
*snip*

Edit: Another thing that annoys me to shit -- I have no doubt in my mind that they lowered the frequency of Good while crafting, in turn placing it behind the heart of.. blocks. During all my crafting getting everything to 60, I noticed that good seemed much, much less common than it used to. Anyone else saw that?
You're not alone in thinking this. It's a common observation I've been seeing in other places (reddit, off. forums and such).

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Both CUL and CRP don't need Adamantite for red scrips. (CRP sometimes does, but not always.) I guess I got really lucky on my chosen professions haha

Xalara

Golden Squire
Yeah, it is more or less confirmed that Good procs for level 60 crafts are much less. That isn't too big of a deal I suppose, except Heart of the Crafter costs 45 CP and you are not guaranteed a Good proc off of it. Even if it made Good 100% of the time, that means you only get to use it 4 times max. Your 45 CP can generally be better spent elsewhere.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Anything that has 70 or 35durability has lower chance to get good procs, that's basically everything in the 2nd part of the crafting log, like 56+. I think point was to make specialization better by giving them Heart and Whistle while you work stuff, but it's pretty annoying to level up the crafts without them, and even with them the skills aren't very good, especially heart.

Also on Adamantite, it's only really BSM/ARM that need it. CRP often doesn't have any, or only one, GSM has mostly aurum regis based crafts with a few that requires 1 adamantite, LTW and WVR rarely require adamantite(though both of these tend to be equally dumb due to chimera manes and general leather prices). ALC tends to be a lot of garbage and CUL has some really cheap stuff but you really want a botanist to get the all the unspoiled node crap.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah there are a few things I don't care about in my MMO's:

1.) Audio of any sort
2.) The look of my equipment
3.) Any store or lore

So I can just skip right through them, still time consuming but at least I am not watching them.
Sounds like you're playing the wrong game..

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Playing a Final Fantasy game without caring about the story is kinda like driving a Ferrari without caring about the handling and/or the acceleration. You're still driving, but the novelty of why is lost on you.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Playing a Final Fantasy game without caring about the story is kinda like driving a Ferrari without caring about the handling and/or the acceleration. You're still driving, but the novelty of why is lost on you.
Nah it's like driving a Ferrari for it's handling and speed only and not worrying about the brand, the story, the price, anything else.

I play any game for mechanics only. See that big guy over there? I am going to kill it and get some loot that is +better. I do so, or I fail and learn more, and then kill him again and again.

MMO lore 99% of the time is an absolute disaster that is retconned halfway through it's development cycle. I was always bored by the stories in the single player Final Fantasy games also.

WoD was the first time I watched a Blizzard cinematic also. It was a quest one and I couldn't seem to skip it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Blah blah blah delivery quests, blah blah magicite stolen, blah primal summoned, do cool dungeon, AWESOME BOSS BATTLE. Do 10 more delivery quests, KEEP MINFILIA INFORMED AT ALL TIMES, repeat for next zone.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Also on Adamantite, it's only really BSM/ARM that need it. CRP often doesn't have any, or only one, GSM has mostly aurum regis based crafts with a few that requires 1 adamantite, LTW and WVR rarely require adamantite(though both of these tend to be equally dumb due to chimera manes and general leather prices). ALC tends to be a lot of garbage and CUL has some really cheap stuff but you really want a botanist to get the all the unspoiled node crap.
I'm looking at the scrip turnins atm for crafting:

WVR - Chimerical Felt Tabard of Striking (0 adamantite)
CRP - Adamantite Trident (3 Adamantite Nuggets - 15 Raw Adamantite)
BSM - Adamantite Headsman's axe (2 Adamantite Nuggets, 1 Adamantite Rivets - 15 Raw Adamantite)
ARM - Aurum Regis Sollerets of Healing (1 Adamantite Nugget, 5 Raw Adamantite)
GSM - Aurum Regis Staff (2 Adamantite Nuggets, 10 Raw Adamantite)
LTW - Serpentskin Helm of Maiming (0 Adamantite)
ALC - Noble Gold (0 Adamantite but jesus a pain to make)
CUL - Stuffed Chysahl (of course 0 Adamantite)

So basically, at least today, half of the crafting professions need adamantite. The WVR piece SUCKS to make, worse farm than Adamantite (15 Chimera Manes required), LTW piece isn't bad as long as you have lots of bear fat/Grade 1 Strength Dissolvents. ALC piece is a royal pain in the ass to make, and even the CUL piece is a pain in the ass to make.

There's just too much emphasis on Adamantite. At least with Aurum Regis, theres many nodes that spawn it and its not unspoiled, nor it required for any scrip gathering.

Saban_sl

shitlord
What are people doing to level their other combat classes to 60? Dungeon grinding or is fates effective now? I've always preferred fates but theres no fucking way im doing nthan or CCH fates haha.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
What are people doing to level their other combat classes to 60? Dungeon grinding or is fates effective now? I've always preferred fates but theres no fucking way im doing nthan or CCH fates haha.
I was doing my daily hunt bills for them (about 100k/120k/140?k for 1/2/3 respectively) so that adds up over time. Also some roulettes and 50+ dungeons thrown in. I'm not in a huge hurry, but I've gotten ACN (SCH/SMN) to 56 with that method after a few days.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Blah blah blah delivery quests, blah blah magicite stolen, blah primal summoned, do cool dungeon, AWESOME BOSS BATTLE. Do 10 more delivery quests, KEEP MINFILIA INFORMED AT ALL TIMES, repeat for next zone.
Agreed, the story is actually more entertaining if you make up your own reasons for being there. Alphinaud and I have a fantastic man-boy love thing going on.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
TBH I skipped every single cinematic until the final scenes of 2.55.

Now I'm skipping all the cinematics for Heavensward.

And now I haven't been on in like 3 days because of stuff and reasons. I'll probably hop back in tomorrow and grind out another level.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's just too much emphasis on Adamantite. At least with Aurum Regis, theres many nodes that spawn it and its not unspoiled, nor it required for any scrip gathering.
Wasn't saying Adamantite was fine, it's completely fucking stupid to put a main material on an unspoiled node AND also have it be a red scrips turn in, shit's beyond retarded, and you need 5 per combine too because fuck you crafters. But quite often for red scrips turn in you don't need them, though a bunch of the crafts do use them for some of the turn ins so some days you can get adamantite everywhere(kinda like the day you listed).

In general the situation is fucking garbage, it's not just adamantite, though it's probably the worst, chimera mane drop rate is shit, various skins drop rate is shit and before they hotfixed it required a fucking unspoiled node to make into leather(and cloth/lumbers also needed unspoiled node to make into hallowed versions), hardsilver ore and titanium ore are both fucking hidden mats so you need like twice as many nodes to get your shit done and you can't use retainers.

The whole system is fucked up, you need 4-5 of everything and the drop rates are as shitty as before, or worse in the case of metal because fuck you ARM/BSM. Then you have the whole fucking food/potion shit, with like potions being barely better than the old ones but you only craft them 1 by 1 and require ephemereal HIDDEN materials(so like you need to wait the right hour for ephemereal like unspoiled and then you have RNG to even get the materials) and are gated behind a master book even though they're not even 60 crafts and food is like a festival of complete retardation with a mix of 1 star fishes that require weather conditions, ephemereal hidden nodes, legendary shit, unspoiled shit, reduced collectable sands and even fucking blue scrips materials all that for small benefits over the old 50 food that takes way less effort to do. And it's 1 food per, because again, fuck you crafters.

Crafting certainly seems like a fucking waste of time atm, gathering at least looks decent, even though favors look dumb as shit, you just gather your shit then sell it and make your money, no complication beyond that. And since you can't hit 700GP apparently, a lot of the gear isn't even that useful so it's like whatever.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I finally got to Heavensward, with my limited playtime it's already a feat of strength but I disgress. First thing I notice is that quest mobs have a fuckton of hit points: I'm a white mage, so I don't launch nuclear blasts for breakfast, but 2 full dot cycles and a lot of stone II in between seems retarded to me, if I get adds it becomes a boring drag. My item level when entering the zone is 110ish including the weapon.
I even went back to my scholar/summoner to level to 50 and see if levelling as summoner is better than this crap. Tank pet and stuff should smooth things a bit I guess. Sucks that I have to grind another 15 levels first.

Is it always like this or I get +20 item levels in 30 minutes of questing, thus making it less boring?