Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Dots work fine, if you pull multiple mobs, but WHM isn't really that great at multi mob killing nowadays so meh. But the key component to soloing in heavensward as a healer or tank is to use a chocobo. Or a DPS really anything. Now if you're still 50, it'll be kinda shit and all, but as soon as you hit 51, your Chocobro takes some steroids and goes up 10sizes, motherfucker has like 10k hp and does 250DPS and shit(well if you have a bunch of passives, but still). Helps A LOT as a healer, when I lvled my first char, Astrologian, which is like a shitty version of WHM DPS wise, my chocobo was doing more than half of my damage all the time, and sometimes was ripping aggro off me.

Best if you have money/garden is to feed your chocobo some Sylkis Buds in a stable a few times so it becomes his favorite food, then feed him Sylkis Buds whenever you summon him for 15%more damage(I think, might be 20%, regardless). Also not sure what your weapon is, but if it's old shit, make sure to buy an i115 weapon in Ishgard. Or do a few MSQs I think they give you one HQ right away for your first char.

Other than that once you unlock dungeons, just run them since you're a healer. Or join FATE groups, no need for damage then, you just kinda run around healing people and casting Holy to tag shit. As long as you do the few quests that require killing mobs for your MSQ, everything else is optional.

But yeah in general mobs in Heavensward have a lot more health.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I use the chocobo, but the 2.5 second cast dot is just a waste of time. In the same time you can just cast another nuke and knock as much health off, or more, than the dot will do. Its useful if you've pulled two mobs, but not that useful. just knock one away, nuke the other down.

Questing is faster xp than dungeons from what I can tell, but probably not fates if you're in a group and can plow them fast enough.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks, chocobo for the win then, I'll have to force feed him some stuff first
smile.png

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Thanks, chocobo for the win then, I'll have to force feed him some stuff first
smile.png
Literally the ding from 50 to 51 was a 4k HP buff to my chocobo, and he was Level 2 at that point (in DPS spec, because I'm a pile of dumbs). Went from 1908 hp to 6090 or something. He got another 800hp from 51 to 52 I think also. Use the chocobo, abuse the chocobo.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
About to put in my first sub since my free days ran out. It seems like I can put in a Recruitment code since I've never paid a sub before; if someone posts one, I'll use the first one posted.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
You have to be recruited via an email actually
Really? This is what it says:

A recruitment code may be redeemed using this service account.

If you wish to redeem a recruitment code, it must be entered before purchase of a subscription or game time card. Bonus items cannot obtained if a subscription has been purchased prior to use of an recruitment code.

Enter an recruitment code.
View bonus item details.

--------------------------------------

And gives me an area to enter a code and a link to the rewards...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah you get the code via an email sent to you by the person recruiting you.

Its dumb.

See also the spoiler I just attached

rrr_img_104860.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'll let someone who hasn't recruited anyone do it so you both get items. I already recruited someone, you only get the bonus items once.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Ah okay. Well, if anyone wants this RAF type business, PM me or something! I want to play soonish though :p

*Edit: Pyros got me, thanks fellas.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I finally got to Heavensward, with my limited playtime it's already a feat of strength but I disgress. First thing I notice is that quest mobs have a fuckton of hit points: I'm a white mage, so I don't launch nuclear blasts for breakfast, but 2 full dot cycles and a lot of stone II in between seems retarded to me, if I get adds it becomes a boring drag. My item level when entering the zone is 110ish including the weapon.
I even went back to my scholar/summoner to level to 50 and see if levelling as summoner is better than this crap. Tank pet and stuff should smooth things a bit I guess. Sucks that I have to grind another 15 levels first.

Is it always like this or I get +20 item levels in 30 minutes of questing, thus making it less boring?
Use your Chocobo. I do Stone 1, Aero 2, Aero, Stone 2/3, Fluid Aura, Stone 1, Stone 2/3 until dead.

Agreed, the story is actually more entertaining if you make up your own reasons for being there. Alphinaud and I have a fantastic man-boy love thing going on.
I pretend that my character despises EVERYONE.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Am I missing something, move onto what mob? I've never had a quest ask me to kill more than 5, I'd say that only half of quests are kill quests and almost all of those want 1 or 3 killed.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
You have to be recruited via an email actually
There's a workaround for it. Send a recruit a friend email to yourself, then give the code to someone else. The code only works once, but it doesn't care which email is used to sign up with it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Use your Chocobo. I do Stone 1, Aero 2, Aero, Stone 2/3, Fluid Aura, Stone 1, Stone 2/3 until dead.

I pretend that my character despises EVERYONE.
Honestly... just cast stone 2 until you get stone 3, then just cast stone 3 while keeping your chocobo out. Use fluid to interrupt an ability or just burn it on cooldown for added dps. Repeat forever! If you crit a Stone2/stone 3, you outweigh the damage using the gcd for a dot pretty heavily (even if they crit 50% of the time on tics) so unless you just really enjoy pushing buttons, blasting away with highest dps nuke is going to serve you just as well for the most part. Since mobs give dick-all for xp, there's no reason to grind anything that isn't giving you a quest credit (or you are farming for monster dropped mats) so you'll spend a bit of time moving between packs of mobs to regen hp/mana to go right back to nuking full tilt. Even early on, Storyline quests will start bumping your ilvl up after the first couple of quests to 115, and since you more than likely don't have a lot of rest xp and will be hitting dungeons once-twice each during the leveling process, just run whatever one is highest and open to you and it will keep your ilvl at/above whatever the quests are generally rewarding. Even with max rest xp going into the xpac, I still had to run some dungeons a couple of times each while using roulette, and I spent most of the leveling process in level-appropriate green gear because you get like 7-10 shots at different loot slots each run.

The mob HP is to make it so that at 60 you aren't one shotting mobs in the xpac, I believe, and to make it seem like they are still growing in power for people that were ilvl 130+ at heavensward release. They -really- didn't want anyone who doesn't have armory bonus to do anything other than quest/run dungeons in the xpac, hah.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Honestly... just cast stone 2 until you get stone 3, then just cast stone 3 while keeping your chocobo out. Use fluid to interrupt an ability or just burn it on cooldown for added dps. Repeat forever! If you crit a Stone2/stone 3, you outweigh the damage using the gcd for a dot pretty heavily (even if they crit 50% of the time on tics) so unless you just really enjoy pushing buttons, blasting away with highest dps nuke is going to serve you just as well for the most part. Since mobs give dick-all for xp, there's no reason to grind anything that isn't giving you a quest credit (or you are farming for monster dropped mats) so you'll spend a bit of time moving between packs of mobs to regen hp/mana to go right back to nuking full tilt. Even early on, Storyline quests will start bumping your ilvl up after the first couple of quests to 115, and since you more than likely don't have a lot of rest xp and will be hitting dungeons once-twice each during the leveling process, just run whatever one is highest and open to you and it will keep your ilvl at/above whatever the quests are generally rewarding. Even with max rest xp going into the xpac, I still had to run some dungeons a couple of times each while using roulette, and I spent most of the leveling process in level-appropriate green gear because you get like 7-10 shots at different loot slots each run.

The mob HP is to make it so that at 60 you aren't one shotting mobs in the xpac, I believe, and to make it seem like they are still growing in power for people that were ilvl 130+ at heavensward release. They -really- didn't want anyone who doesn't have armory bonus to do anything other than quest/run dungeons in the xpac, hah.
Thanks for the tip on crits, I actually dont use Aero half the time anyway because laziness.

I have a years worth of rest exp (whatever the cap is then) and haven't had to do any extra dungeons yet or grinding (I'm lv66 with half a bar finished to level up), I've just finished EVERY quest.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Depending on how fast you go through the content (regenerating rest xp while offline, mostly) and if you keep up with dailies, you'll probably run out of rest xp either right before 58 or slightly after. I did every single quest in the xpac (finished all the pre-xpac storyline stuff before it launched, so no xp from there) and had to run Vault (57 dungeon) a couple of times to make up the difference to keep up the pace. Granted, I was 60 pretty shortly after early access ended, so my rest xp wasn't given much chance to regenerate. But if you aren't burning through dungeons to clear out that rest xp, it should last you decently well. The quest xp definitely will start to run out towards the later end of things, as the increase per quest level doesn't scale equally with the increased requirements to level. For me, it was just before I hit 58, but your mileage my vary on that one.