Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Trial Roulette is awesome when you get something like Ifrit Hard or something else you can steamroll with half the group afk. Much less awesome when 2/3 of the group are fresh to the event and it requires you to pay attention occasionally. Definitely the one roulette I would routinely skip if I didn't feel like putting up with nonsense.

Crafting is fun, minus all the issues that AladainAF mentioned. The sheer amount of gear available in HQ from quests as well as most dungeons dropping 6-10 pieces of loot at a go means that the gear is good for glamours and that's about it until cap. Then it is only good until someone runs 3-4 dungeons, at which point there's no reason to have crafted gear. Not to mention that there is a much higher amount of reliance on materials from slain monsters with the xpac, so either battle retainers or farming becomes substantially more mandatory, and that's right out the gate for LTW/ALC, while the required materials from gatherers gets pretty absurd for even entry level crafts.

Note on the crafted weapons: While that extra 1-2 dps might seem like a big increase on paper, until you hit cap and start actually outpacing mob hp, you are only saving yourself one additional attack or cast at best most of the time. Mob HP is super inflated in the xpac, and while having that HQ ilvl 145 weapon for your second class helps, it isn't a big enough difference to matter nearly as much as that same 1-2dps increase over a crap weapon would 1-49.

Just not the greatest design element for starting the expansion off.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Is there a good rundown for the gathering retainers? I feel like i should be using one/some for culinarian.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Your absolute best bet is to make them battle retainers of some kind (whatever combat class you have highest) and then get them as high as possible levelwise. This will let you abuse them for monster-dropped materials, which are basically required to do any post 50 crafting realistically. If you hate clicking a node and then clicking the slot with the drop you want 4-6 times, a gatherer (fisherman/miner/botanist) retainer might be worth it. But for literally the rest of the world, go with a combat class.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I disagree with this. Leveling crafting classes is AIDS. Leves are the only thing that make it bearable (since crafting collectables don't give much EXP).
Not really, I mean this is true, but with GC turnins, and maybe 1-2 leves a day, you can really level up quickly. It's not like you have to sit there like the old days and just grind out crafts over and over. I just hate the idea of being constantly asked to HQ things for people so they can simply go turn them in for full credit. Go do it yourself. lol.

I feel like they're useful if you're leveling up classes after your main class.
They are except its outweighed by the large amount of loot that drops from dungeons. HQ weapons might be the only exception to this.

As a CUL, I completely disagree with this. I get a ton of mileage out of my hunting retainer who harvests Yak Milk, Okeanis Tail, Okeanis Eggs, Cockatrice Thighs, and a ton of other mats I need for a lot of my recipes that have horrendous drop rates if I try to harvest them myself. Yes, it's true that BSM/GSM/ARM get kinda screwed because their bread-and-butter mats are hidden nodes and therefore can't be gathered by retainers, but at least for me as a CUL, my hunting retainer is a lifesaver.
Correct, CUL is probably the only one that can get away with it because of its uniqueness. But other classes have items gated behind scrips. Not talking about unspoiled nodes here, but ones that you need favors for and all that mess.

I know that SE said they wanted people to stop being omnicrafters, which is why the red scrips are gated on a weekly lockout. If they continue this philosophy, I doubt that they will reintroduce new "Artisan" gear, but it's still an extremely risky bet, so I kinda agree with you here.
Which is really silly, honestly. They actively encourage players to be able to be "everything", that's one of the core precepts in FFXIV the ability to change your jobs and be everything. Crafting is not unbalancing at all. Nothing "good" comes from crafting as a whole, minus a few end game combines and -- other items for crafters. Nothing really sells other than lower level HQ stuff, and HQ weapons, and.... other items for crafters. Having omnicrafters does not throw anything out of balance, and their implementation of specializations was so poorly done that having them and not having them make practically no difference at all. I've not even spent my three soul of the crafters that I've been given yet.

You know the crafting system is marginal when the best things that sell are things designed for other crafters, and "trinkets", like bardings, minions, etc.

Why is Waste Not unappealing? I always use it and love it. (Inner Quiet -> Steady Hand II -> Waste Not -> 4 Touches -> Manipulation -> Steady Hand II -> Innovation -> 3 Touches -> Finisher, I can HQ everything but the level 60 recipes reliably.)
Well, I didn't mean to say its not appealing, I just meant the 40 to 35 does nothing but nerf WN. WN still works fine for what you're doing there, but anyone else with a non-WN rotation it really doesn't change anything.

As for retainers, do what I did, get 8. 1 BTN, 1 FSH, 1 MIN, and 5 battle
wink.png

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
a_skeleton_03, go do the Ixal beastman quests as your crafter. Decent exp, and all you spend is time and crystals. I have 50s in crafting, but I still have 3 crafting classes sub 30, my leatherworker went from 28 to 30 from the quests today.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
a_skeleton_03, go do the Ixal beastman quests as your crafter. Decent exp, and all you spend is time and crystals. I have 50s in crafting, but I still have 3 crafting classes sub 30, my leatherworker went from 28 to 30 from the quests today.
I haven't unlocked those, I will do so. I am all for spending time on crafting that is like leveling a combat class.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Those are the dailies I was saying you can make a decent amount of cash on. I think its like 1.2 million a week doing those dailies?

Something like that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Those are the dailies I was saying you can make a decent amount of cash on. I think its like 1.2 million a week doing those dailies?

Something like that.
Yeah need to unlock it, that sounds like it would be good enough to keep me working on crafting on the side. It took me about 50k to get CUL to 30 and that was me being pretty lazy on the market board, 0 gathering myself.

Valos

I dont know about 1.2m a week. Im at rank 5 atm and the top rank 5 quests give 30k exp and 700ish gil, which is only 3 of the 12 daily allowed. They scale abit lower as you do the lower ranks. The other great thing is the crafting for the beastmen counts towards your challenge log. Which is more exp/gil. I am betting when that was said the items you could purchase with oaknots were worth something.

Valos

Oh, I should also note that some of the quests require you to mine, harvest or fish. All low level so its not like you need a level 50 of that to get the required materials. Pretty sure you could get everything with a level 5 of the gathers.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The 1.2m number probably comes from when Ixali sealants were selling well on the servers. They still may be (the artisan level 50 crafter gear gets easier to HQ and lasts until the mid-50s) and I think there's a few items that you could do glamours for. 1.2m sounds like the income you'd get around the time they were first put in though, as even a month leading up to the xpac you could get 8 sealants a week and at best you were looking at 600k or so. Once you hit 50, they give 10k xp and very little gold, though. Completely not worth doing for leveling's sake at that point, but definitely do them on sub 50 crafters every day.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the 1.2 million number was just something I saw someone else say on like gamefaqs or something when I was googling how to make gil as I approached 60.

So I don't know for a fact thats how much you can make, hence why I question marked it.

Still, something is better than nothing.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah the 1.2 million number was just something I saw someone else say on like gamefaqs or something when I was googling how to make gil as I approached 60.

So I don't know for a fact thats how much you can make, hence why I question marked it.

Still, something is better than nothing.
Oh for sure, if I get XP and don't go negative gil in doing the quests then it's worth it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Do slots open at a certain time? Made a new character but Gilgamesh is locked
That's the tough issue with Gilgamesh. You either gotta get in early, like right after a server reset, or you need to create on another server and cough up the dough to transfer.