Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
It's not that bad. You're a tank, so won't have to sit in long queues for the trials and dungeons. Shouldn't take terribly long, though I can see how it'd be daunting.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The 2.1-2.5 MSQs suck some serious ass, but IMO they're worth mashing Esc through (until the finale) because the 2.X Finale and Heavensward MSQs are really good.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's extra daunting just because I could not give two shits about story in MMOs. I like to do small group content and build up my dude to look cool and display larger numbers after pressing hotkeys. I mean, the story quest I just did at 49, leading up to the big finish of lvl 50omg, was to kill 3 basilisks, right click a campfire 3 times (putting the meat in, waiting for it to cook, removing it, such immersion), then right click 3 random schmos standing around the camp. God damn. Can't escape through that shit fast enough. And, it would even be a bit better if I was on the class I actually want to play, so I could put somewhere in my brain "I'm building my dark knight, it's ok, go think about boobs for a while."

I'll see how far I can slog through it!

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
It's extra daunting just because I could not give two shits about story in MMOs. I like to do small group content and build up my dude to look cool and display larger numbers after pressing hotkeys. I mean, the story quest I just did at 49, leading up to the big finish of lvl 50omg, was to kill 3 basilisks, right click a campfire 3 times (putting the meat in, waiting for it to cook, removing it, such immersion), then right click 3 random schmos standing around the camp. God damn. Can't escape through that shit fast enough. And, it would even be a bit better if I was on the class I actually want to play, so I could put somewhere in my brain "I'm building my dark knight, it's ok, go think about boobs for a while."

I'll see how far I can slog through it!
Exactly how I feel and I'm only in the 20s, had to run around and dance in front of townsfolk and other dumb things. I just want to run dungeons damn it.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Here's my review of 3.1:

• The Diadem: They fucked it up. It's garbage, awful, unfun. From the way the 18th Floor talked about it, it sounded like it was going to be dynamic, interesting content revolved around exploration and finding something new each time you visit. Nope. In reality, it's standing in one spot with five other groups for 90 minutes farming bullet sponge mobs for gear that is (potentially) ridiculously overpowered. 100% disappointed.
  • 3.1 MSQs: They're okay. Unfortunately they cut off just as they start to get interesting.
  • Thordan Extreme: Fun and challenging, but I imagine it will start to get stale pretty fast once I get all my weapons.
  • Void Ark: As expected of FFXIV's 21-man raids, it's pure cancer.
  • Lords of Verminion: Infuriating. The amount of micromanaging needed to be at all decent in this game is absurd, and while there are lots of keyboard shortcuts, none of them really address the problem of needing to select/assign groups to minions (considering they have to be in a party of 4 to get their abilities). I doubt that even RTS players will enjoy it that much.
  • New Dungeons: Who cares?
So yeah, this will likely be my last month of sub unless I decide to stay for (what's left of) the community. Thanks for the fun FFXIV, but you really botched this expansion.

Naj_sl

shitlord
You have the 3.15 relics to look forward to though. Yoshi mentioned that the first step is so bad he wouldn't want to do it if he was a player.

In all seriousness, HW really killed the magic of FF14 for me. All my old raid buddies that continually made fun of me for going back to WoW when HW launched have now mostly quit themselves.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Still nothing to craft, but you now get 3x the materials for your red scrip turn ins so it's much easier to get fully kitted out. Well, I suppose you can craft the Sky Pirate stuff but it's glamor only. I suspect the main crafting fixes will be coming in 3.2.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Anyone know how to add an additional 30 or 60 days to a subscription that's already set up? I have 39 days remaining, but want to reach 90 days subscribed. But it doesn't seem to let me add more.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Mine is a standard 8 character per server sub, but when i try to add another subscription it says i'm already active and paid, so my balance is zero. Maybe Game Time Cards would work to extend it to 90 days?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Mine is a standard 8 character per server sub, but when i try to add another subscription it says i'm already active and paid, so my balance is zero. Maybe Game Time Cards would work to extend it to 90 days?
I vaguely remember something like that from ppl trying to get mounts, you needed to use cards to add time to an already active sub as you couldn't buy more months with a recurring sub until it ran out.

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
Friend and I are thinking of getting the expansion and getting back into this, is it worth it? sounds like its worse than before? Any new changes coming that may make things better?

Xalara

Golden Squire
The expansion is worth it. It's just that the FFXIV team dropped the ball with no content updates for five months and they royally screwed up crafting and gathering. The only big miss outside of the aforementioned is Diadem which is something the developers should be able to easily fix (just give groups objectives and then when they complete those objectives give them a reward and more objectives, with the occasional zone wide boss everyone should help out with). The expansion story, story dungeons, and leveling are all good and worth the price of admission. Plus, they fixed leveling experience so you won't have to do the annoying Moogle side quests to level up.

Really, the problem with the game mostly has to do at the top end and the dev team being slow to fix things and being a bit tone deaf. You'll get your money's worth.

Xalara

Golden Squire
On a separate note: I am thinking of transferring to a more active server. Does anyone know of active servers aside from Gilgamesh and Balmung?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only game that puts out new content every 3 months. It's like you actually get something for paying the sub. Now your own opinion on the content itself may vary. But atleast they are working

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The only big miss outside of the aforementioned is Diadem which is something the developers should be able to easily fix
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yoshi-P has already talked about his planned "fixes" for the Diadem. It includes making it takelongerto spawn notorious monsters. The 18th Floor has no idea what they're doing right now. I'm probably unsubbing this month and then I'll check back in at 3.2. Endgame is garbage right now.