Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Xalara

Golden Squire
I never said thay they would fix it, I said that if they weren't tone deaf, something I also mentioned, they could easily fix it and gave an example.

I worry the game is falling into the same trap as 1.0 where no one told the lead Dev his ideas are stupid. Also known as George Lucas syndrome.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Guys, I don't know if you know it yet, but Kriptini is upset over the last patch.

I think, i'm not 100% certain. I wish he'd just straight up tell us what he thinks.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Guys, I don't know if you know it yet, but Kriptini is upset over the last patch.

I think, i'm not 100% certain. I wish he'd just straight up tell us what he thinks.
I've been seriously buttblasted ever since 3.0 hit. I was really hoping that the Diadem was gonna give me the kind of content that could keep me playing. Honestly, it's my fault for setting my expectations so high.

And it really sucks, because even though I've only played it for a year, I absolutely love it. I paid one of my friends to draw a picture of my character recently, too:

rrr_img_117453.jpg

I'm gonna get it printed and everything. But it's kinda bittersweet, because my memories of the game are sweeter than the actual state of the game right now.

Skimmins_sl

shitlord
I'm really surprised that amid all this negativity surrounding the expansion nobody is mentioning the changes to jobs themselves. What ultimately drove me away was the fact that even if they did manage to implement good content, the new combat mechanics of the jobs were just plain obnoxious and unfun. It's like they took they most annoying part of various jobs and spread them around. It removed any variety and brought everything down to the lowest annoying denominator. Also surprised you were able to hang in there this long Mr. Tini (<-Lowball).

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm really surprised that amid all this negativity surrounding the expansion nobody is mentioning the changes to jobs themselves. What ultimately drove me away was the fact that even if they did manage to implement good content, the new combat mechanics of the jobs were just plain obnoxious and unfun. It's like they took they most annoying part of various jobs and spread them around. It removed any variety and brought everything down to the lowest annoying denominator. Also surprised you were able to hang in there this long Mr. Tini (<-Lowball).
Sup, man?

I mean I still really enjoy Ninja, Monk, Scholar, and Warrior. But I can't stand the content.

spronk

FPS noob
game is on sale at gamestop (not sure how long, but at least tomorrow) $19.99 for heavensword for ps4 or pc also gets you a free copy of the base game on your receipt. it prints as a digital code, not sure if you use the code on an existing account whether you will get 30 extra free days or not.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
game is on sale at gamestop (not sure how long, but at least tomorrow) $19.99 for heavensword for ps4 or pc also gets you a free copy of the base game on your receipt. it prints as a digital code, not sure if you use the code on an existing account whether you will get 30 extra free days or not.
If you don't have the version it does, otherwise doesn't work. For example if you have the PC and buy the PS4 version, you get another 30days. If you buy the PC version though it won't work, can only get the 30days once per platform.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
A3s feels like a cakewalk now after clearing it a few times, especially compared to a4s. What a dogshit fight skewed towards stressing healers.its weird to go from what is probably one of the best designed fights in the game, to what is easily the worst

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I had originally bought this game when it first came out, made it to mid-30's and quit for whatever reason...can't remember why. I didn't hate the game so probably life reasons.

Anyway, just got back and I do find it to be a fun sorta game. I play solo so I just started leveling all the different classes to 30 so I could open up any job I wanted. Got a little boring at times but I had that shit down to an art where I could hit 30 in 2-3 nights of casual(2-4 hours) play sessions. Between dungeons/levequests/fates/guildheists it was pretty easy to level. Such a HUGE difference in power/capabilities between classes. Reminds me of EQ days a little where as a caster I could solo boss fates and as a monk(at least below 30) I could barely get him to half life. I'm sure that changes in the end game with gear and more skills.

Overall I am having fun, as I said I have no aspirations to hit max level and raid but it is fun, the FF stories are always neat, and I actually dig the graphics. The queue time for a DPS vs healer/tank is insanely skewed. Maybe the population is just weak as I frequently see the same people but holy hell. INSTANT queues for a healer. Literally click and dungeon pops up, DPS it can take 30m+ sometimes. As DPS I got used to it because I would run around questing or whatever while I waited. Cannot do that as a healer. Only major complaint on that front is I cannot have the fucking chocoboo out while in duty finder which blows ass because that thing adds so much fucking dmg(in atk mode).

So basically I've been following along the quest lines and just tinkering along but I def. enjoy this game from a non-end game perspective. The progression guide link was nice, thanks for that but a few questions:

1.) There anything special I need to do to equip materia? Is it gone forever once I slot it? Can I increase it's power somehow? Should I be looting and wearing shitty pink gear while I XP just to convert it?
2.) Does money matter for anything other than auction house/housing? I basically just use it to repair at this point as I've never bought gear in games.
3.) Are any of the crafting things worth leveling? How's the speed to 50 compared to adventuring?
4.) I'm assuming at some point the game gets much harder? How do I qualify for the higher level dungeons? Is there a healthy population at that level?
5.) Anything else in particular I should keep inventory wise or look for as I quest/level that my be valuable later on?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Materias are for endgame entirely. Even then they were useless, but I think the last patch might have made them useful. But really, only IV and V would be useful, everything else is garbage, until they add a relic that needs them again. Crafting/Gathering ones are another story as those are valuable even the lower ones due to caps on gear, but combat stuff you can throw away. For the same reason, soulbinding low lvl gear is pretty pointless. You're better off trading them for GC seals at your GC once that opens up(don't remember when it is, if it's from the start or what).

On materia functionality, they're just like gems in say wow. You slot them, and that's it, they give you the stats. However they also follow item stats rules, so for example you can't have more main stat on an item so dex/int etc gems tend to be fairly shit. If the item has crit, you generally can't slot crit either, you'd need to slot speeed or accuracy or what not. Also only lowbie gear and crafted gear have sockets, so endgame you don't socket anything(but again I think they changed some of that in 3.1, not too sure as I haven't played).

Money is only repairs/housing/AH pretty much. AH is also mostly crafting/gathering gear or fancy looking gear for appearance. That said Relic quests tends to also have a bunch of gold sinks, so it'd be useful for that too once they re-add the relic in 3.15, maybe. Not sure what first step will be, not every step had gold related stuff. Just keep your money and don't spend it on useless shit, you really don't need to buy anything while leveling. You can buy a new HQ weapon if your current weap is kinda low level, but other than that I wouldn't bother spending any money.

Crafting is nice to have to repair your shit for a lot less(and anywhere), and otherwise is interesting to make money to buy crafting shit to make money etc, it's relatively self contained stuff so it's only worth doing if you like crafting, it doesn't really have any advantage on your PvE experience otherwise(other than the repair everywhere, which is pretty nice). It's also pretty expensive to do, so I wouldn't bother until you reach cap. As for how long, depends on how you do it and how you're leveling your main char. It's faster in general, but you can do crafting with like daily orders from your GC only and get solid levels over long periods of time like this with minimal time investment, or you can grind it out, or you can use leves as some sort of middle ground. With leves it's really fast though, as long as you have the funds.

Game gets kinda harder in higher levels, and raids especially, but the 4man experience tends to be fairly tame. Still harder than the leveling process though. Some dungeons have quests to do to get access but most shit is automatically unlocked(and those with quests tend to just be "go to the entrance and click the thing" type of quests. There's a healthy population at every level I'd say in the game, it uses cross server for matching and while queues can be shit as a DPS at times(like 15-20mins queues), it's still relatively fast.

For valuable stuff, can't really thing of anything special. Various monster materials can be slightly valuable, but you won't get large amounts while leveling so probably not that much. There's some dungeon equipement that isn't BoP though that you can sell on the AH for glamour purposes that sells fairly well.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is this game worth trying at this point?

I played briefly back before the remake and it was atrocious. As in like every other hill was identical, you couldn't jump up a half foot rock wall (had to go around), you started grinding bullshit quests at level 3... I just couldn't stand it.

If this is at least as 'friendly' as WoW just with different races/classes/story I might try it out, but I probably shouldn't bother if this is still like the original.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I've been playing super casual for like two months and still enjoying it. It's kind of annoying with the main quest for the first 30 levels cause it's just nonstop if you want to keep up on it but in the 30s it's slowed down enough where I can do dungeon runs.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Can you jump to climb over small obstacles now and are the classes all fairly playable solo through the main part of the story?

I mean seriously the pathing was obnoxious as hell before.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The engine is completely different from the original version. Jumping is still really weird because your character is still mapped to the ground while you're in the air (meaning you can jump on top of objects but trying to jump across gaps gets kinda weird), but I think for you it would at least be worth it to do the free trial.

I've officially "quit" this game but I'll keep watching this thread in the hopes that SE will improve the activities at endgame.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Can you jump to climb over small obstacles now and are the classes all fairly playable solo through the main part of the story?

I mean seriously the pathing was obnoxious as hell before.
Its pretty much solo the whole MQ but with occasional dungeon runs that get unlocked with the MQ. Expect to be bored out of your mind running around /danceing a bunch of stupid sprites.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ah OK, I see the trial on the website. Steam doesn't offer it (or can't find a DL option anyway). I'll check it out.