Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
When I played (before any expansions; this is why I'm asking if it's still like this), skills were just so simple. Almost everything was completely one-dimensional. The majority of my character's skills had the complexity of vanilla WoW's Heroic Strike. There was nothing to think about. For a modern MMORPG, the abilities just didn't have enough depth and detail. Also, character build choices were a joke. Pick a secondary class and pick three from amongst their worst skills. Usually there weren't even three that would benefit your class. As a warrior, my secondary class comprised like 1% of my character's substance and I was essentially identical to all other warriors with nothing I could realistically choose to change my playstyle or performance. This was also compounded by the fact that each tier of gear had one item per slot. Every warrior in my guild was 100% identical, and the skills were so primitive that performance was the same as well.

I feel like you just described every mmo for the last 10 years.

But really it's the same just about everywhere. I don't see the combat abilities in FFXIV as being more complex and in depth than other mmo's but I wouldn't say they are more bland either.

That being said, Warriors did get some more flavor moves in Heavensward; I immediately think of whatever-its-called that neutralizes being crit from the front, but raises chances from the flank, I think? It's changed a bit.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
you have to buy that shit? wtf....
It's like wow, they have some cash shop only stuff on top, which is kinda meh considering the sub but eh. They do have a ton of ingame costumes especially since you can glamour old armor and stuff, so it's not like terrible.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Updates after patches will depend on who's doing the updates at the time and stuff I'd assume. I used Aether Oil - Gamer Escape's Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) wiki more personally but back when I played the wiki you linked wasn't updated for shit, don't know about nowadays. Also Garland Tools Database and Aether Oil (Item) - XIVDB - Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward Database have some pretty good tools, especially Garland lets you setup a bunch of shit like gathering alerts and plan your crafting stuff and what not, although the UI felt pretty shit at times.

And from all these links it seems it hasn't changed, plus it's not mentionned anywhere in the patch notes. I'd expect it to change only next patch.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
the GCD is crippling everytime I start to play I get bored and just go and play DOTA instead

sucks because I like everything else it has going for it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New expansion teaser:

Some info, biggest stuff is apparently Red Mage(plus some other classes), dropping PS3 support then the usual expansion stuff, more levels and shit:
  • Stormblood will explore Ala Mihgo
  • Main focus is to regain control of Ala Mihgo from the Garlean Empire
  • 20 years have passed since Garleans have had control
  • Main atagonist to be Zenos Yae Galvus, XIIth Legion Legatus and de facto ruler of Ala Mihgo
  • Woman depicted in trailer to potentially be revealed in future 3.X patch
  • Warrior of Light's main job in 4.0 is Monk (akin to DRG for 3.0)
  • Area shown in teaser trailer is Rhalgr's Reach, the HQ of Ala Migho's main resistance.
  • Multiple new jobs to be discussed at future date
  • Yoshi-P wore a t-shirt of Marvel's Scarlet Witch, said that was the only hint he'd give at this time [Red Mage]
  • New Level Cap: 70 (for all classes)
  • More actions for each job to go with new cap
  • Revamped battle system to go with new actions
  • Additional Skill System to be overhauled, with skills shared by roles instead of jobs, and can choose from shared role ability options
  • Reassessment of unused/ineffective actions
  • Example used is Dragoon's Blood of the Dragon buff, where in 4.0 an icon/gauge showing how much time is left will be better visible on screen so players aren't just staring at the current icon
  • New Areas to be introduced, comparable in size to Heavensward areas
  • Stormblood will be a full standalone game's worth of content
  • New Primals to be introduced, including known names and all-new original-to-FF14 ones.
  • New Dungeons to be introduced with new battle and dungeon concepts to be introduced
  • High-End Raids to also be added, with possibility of different story depending on difficulty, with normal on odd patches, savage on even
  • New Alliance Raids to be added. Big news, but will wait until Tokyo Fan Fest, but will be, "very, very Final Fantasy"
  • Expanded form of Exploration to be introduced: The Forbidden Land of Eureka (they really like FF3!), something different from Diadem and will expand its own entire area, unique to Stormblood. There might even be Notorious Monsters that only appear once every 72 hours.
  • Eureka may also be used for next set of high-end weapons, akin to Relic/Anima, rather than upgrades in "normal areas."
  • New Gear and Recipes, including winners of Fan's Gear Design Contest
  • Item Inventory Exansion (this got the biggest cheers so far), looking to increase "as much as humanly possible." There is uncertainty in how this will be implemented due to the server needs, and it will be addressed in a future Live Letter
  • A 4th Residential Area to be added. Where? "Sorry, can't tell ya."
  • In-game footage of new areas shown
  • Screenshots now being shown of new areas
  • Indications are that Ala Mihgo is crossed via a wall in The Black Shroud, which will be shown in Patch 3.5. Yoshi joked that Dragoon Jump won't work to scale the wall, but that The Warrior of Light has a lot of practice falling off of things.
  • Ala Mihgo will not be just deserts and wasteland. Forests are also part of it.
  • All areas of 4.0 will be accessible by flying mounts, but there was an indication that it will again by quest-based like in 3.0. At groans from the audience, Yoshi said it will be easier than Moogle Quests.
  • That's all the information for now from this keynote. More information will be released in other Fan Fests elsewhere, Live Letters, and so forth. "This is just the start." Yoshi teases he wants to say more everytime the audience cheers, but then he'd be dead and Stormblood wouldn't come out.
  • Two final announcements:
  • 1) Changes to Windows version Minimum Specs requirements. Current minimum specs are geared towards components you can't even buy anymore. So, for the best gaming experience possible, they've decided to raise their minimum specs. "If possible, maybe upgrade to 64-bit OS" but they will still support 32-bit. They just suggest 64-bit will be best gaming experience.
  • 2) End of PlayStation 3 support. This got the second biggest cheers. They've been examining numbers and have seen a large migration of PS3 to PS4 so they have decided it is the right time to end PS3 support. To show appreciation to their PS3 fans that helped them get to where they are now, there will be a special FREE PS3 to PS4 upgrade campaign.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Speculation that the people in the trailer are
The Warrior of Light as the male monk and Yda as the female dancer/monk

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Red Mage is all-but-confirmed. Other people are saying the other two could be Samurai or Dancer. I think Samurai is plausible but I'm super doubtful we'll get Dancer, I think we have a higher chance of getting Time Mage.

Speculation that the people in the trailer are
The Warrior of Light as the male monk and Yda as the female dancer/monk

Counterpoint:

The male Monk is the Warrior of Light but the female Monk is not Yda. She's missing Yda's tattoo and production on this intro would have been started 6-12 months ago, before Stormblood story details were finalized.For that reason, it makes more sense to use generic characters rather than important story characters in case things change, this is why the Heavensward trailer took so long and why there are almost no specific characters in it. I think she's just a female version of the WoL.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're probably right, but to be fair the male WoL doesn't look like the WoL from before does it? Wasn't the WoL we always saw in trailers before the WoDarkness Warrior, or someone that looked exactly like him?

Maybe it is Yda and she went to the aesthetician for a tattoo removal. Lololol

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
You're probably right, but to be fair the male WoL doesn't look like the WoL from before does it? Wasn't the WoL we always saw in trailers before the WoDarkness Warrior, or someone that looked exactly like him?

Maybe it is Yda and she went to the aesthetician for a tattoo removal. Lololol

The WoL in all the trailers and CG is non-canon. He's just a dude meant to represent the player character.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah that's what I always assumed. It was just odd when the WoD and crew showed up and you realized that was the same group of heroes from the ARR trailer.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm quite interested to see what role they give RDM. Traditionally, RDM had no defined role, he was just a Jack of all trades with some sword skills, some black magic and some white magic, but within the clearly defined role system of FFXIV, that doesn't really fit too well, especially the white magic part. He could end up being a melee version of bard/machinist, with like support abilities(with maybe minor healing), ranged spells, debuffs and sword skills, and I think that's what probably would make the most sense. Maybe they'll add a 4th more defined role with supports and rework bard yet again. I don't see him as being a healer type and tank type is obviously out(or is it... well most likely out).

There is also the question of how many classes they're adding. In Heavensward, while they technically only added 3, Ninja was added ahead of time a few months prior, so in the end we got 1 melee DPS, 1ranged DPS, 1 tank and 1 healer. Will RDM be the DPS class that fills both melee and ranged slot, or will they add another DPS class. Samurai as some sort of counter tank makes some sense, but could also be melee DPS, leaving one tank slot to another class. As for the healer, Dancer makes sense too and fits pretty well theme wise. Although who knows at this point. Probably won't know for sure until like February or some shit, they like teasing shit for a while.

Edit: Assuming they follow the same pattern as last expansion, next Fanfest they'll reveal Red Mage and tease the next class(last expansion for the initial heavensward tease, YoshiP had a T-shit of Batman for Dark Knight tease, then the next fanfest they revealed Dark Knight and he had a James Bond t-shirt as a Machinist tease). Astrologian wasn't teased ahead of time I think and was just revealed along with Machinist.

Oh and there's also some job teased during 3.4 story, haven't played since 3.0 so don't know about that but guess that'd be another class. I probably should resub and go through the story before the actual trailer, since last time it spoiled a bunch of stuff if you hadn't been keeping up.

Last edited: