Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
RDM when shits hits the fan in dungeons is pretty fun. In Bardam's Mettle the healer kept getting confused by the turn around thing, tank dies right before the add phase, I rez the tank, tank wastes his provoke during add phase so after that's done, boss kill the other DPS(I used lucid dream to drop threat), I rez him, then he kills the healer, I rez him too, meanwhile I'm keeping people alive with heals and stabilizing since the healer is oom. Still do ~1300DPS while doing all that shit, fun times.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
LOL.. I did a stupid thing.. Bought the expansion physical copy because I saved $15 from Amazon.. Then remembered (too late) that I don't have a DVD drive in my laptop out here in the sand.. Bought a DVD drive ($20).. Yep.. spent $5 more than necessary. The money doesn't matter.. I'm just dumb.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You don't actually need a DVD drive though, since all that's on the dvd is the launcher to download the game afaik. All you need is the key inside to apply to your account then launching the game will update(technically just launching the game even without stormblood will update to SB anyway, just the areas are locked and stuff).

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Hmm.. I already patched it.. but I couldn't start a Samurai. Maybe I just am really dumb and don't know how. That's certainly a possibility. I haven't given it much thought though.. been playing the shit out of Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Hitman, and Arma 3. LOL.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well you need Stormblood on your account activated, and you need a lvl 50 class. You can't "start a samurai" as they start at lvl 50. After that you go to Uldah, find the samurai guy iirc he's near the gladiator's guild, and he'll give you the job.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't think I'm going to make it through the pre-HW MSQs. No exp, boring fetch quests. Yawn.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That stretch of quests is soul crushing but I thought the payoff cinematic at the end of all the bullshit, that leads into Ishgard, was well worth it. It is extremely surprising to see shit start getting real after hours of grabbing bear asses.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think I'll try tomorrow to finally knock it out, either I'll succeed in decent time or just pass on into legend.

Once you get 'geared', what is the typical GCD? I know on Ninja it's closer to 2 sec with the speed buff, are they the 'quickest' class?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think I'll try tomorrow to finally knock it out, either I'll succeed in decent time or just pass on into legend.

Once you get 'geared', what is the typical GCD? I know on Ninja it's closer to 2 sec with the speed buff, are they the 'quickest' class?
Geared or not barely makes a difference on the GCD, you're going to shave maybe .1 sec so you go down to 2.4. The only thing that has a real impact are skills, stuff like the WHM spellspeed buff, or class permanent features for Monk/Ninja/Samurai which lowers their GCD to around 2secs. Monk needs 3stacks GL for that, Ninja use Huton buff which is pretty much permanent event ooc and Samurai need whatever the ability that procs it is, it's one of their combo chains that they have to maintain. So these 3 classes play at 2s GCD, everything else is 2.5(and classes like BLM are even slower since a lot of casts at like 3secs and shit, but then again, Fire IV is pretty pleasing to watch).

So if you want faster combat you want these classes.

In terms of actions needed, I think monk is fairly straightforward, samurai has a bit more stuff going on with your Kenki gauge usage and Ninja has a lot of shit going down with a lot of weaving oGCDs and Ninjutsus inbetween your attacks, so if you want a lot of stuff to do it might be the best, although it doesn't play that well with bad ping, but isn't so bad especially now that Foes doesn't buff magic damage only so you don't have to Raiton.

Malkav

French Madman
Tanks crying at the moment just makes me laugh.

Before the patch :
Tanks : "Without STR accessories and the DPS loss from the change we won't generate enough enmity to keep aggro!"
Patch : "Increases tank enmity"
Tanks : " We don't care about enmity, tanks are boring to play we want moar DPS!"

Go play DPS if you want to DPS and stop being a little bitch god damn it.

I really hope YoshiP stands fast on the decision that tank are not supposed to be pseudo-DPS.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Tanks crying at the moment just makes me laugh.

Before the patch :
Tanks : "Without STR accessories and the DPS loss from the change we won't generate enough enmity to keep aggro!"
Patch : "Increases tank enmity"
Tanks : " We don't care about enmity, tanks are boring to play we want moar DPS!"

Go play DPS if you want to DPS and stop being a little bitch god damn it.

I really hope YoshiP stands fast on the decision that tank are not supposed to be pseudo-DPS.

Why? Does making tank DPS suck somehow make the game better in any meaningful way? You're just removing skill curve from the game if tanks can't mix in solid DPS while also doing all the normal abilities of a tank.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm happy tank dps sucks because now no one cares if I am lazy and don't stance dance.

If you are not a tank you should be upset. It means we can carry less bad dps and also that some tanks may leave which means less tanks queuing for high end stuff.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Malkav

French Madman
On the flipside some people may finally decide to switch to tanking because they are no longer pressured into a the stance dancing gameplay they don't like.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
What was changed with Stormblood in relation to tanking? I've never tanked in FF14, preferring healing...until Stormblood where I fell in love with the Red Mage.

I have no clue about the stance dancing you guys are mentioning.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think I have worked out what grates me so much about the 2.0 storyline, the cunt who translated/wrote it thinks he is shakespear. Just painful to try and read it

Malkav

French Madman
What was changed with Stormblood in relation to tanking? I've never tanked in FF14, preferring healing...until Stormblood where I fell in love with the Red Mage.

I have no clue about the stance dancing you guys are mentioning.

During HW, tank gameplay consisted in tanks dropping in and out of tank stance as often as possible in order to maximize their DPS. It was more of a side effects of some mechanics than intended by design though.

With SB, some stats rebalancing and mechanics changes diminished their DPS and is forcing them to stay more in tank stance and even penalises them for switching in the case of Warriors.

Lowball

Trakanon Raider
Tank style comparisons between HW and SB are more complicated than that because it totally depends on skill level of the group you are running with. In general you stance dance/CD intelligently MORE now than in HW, not the other way around. The tank threat changes were in response the huge Japanese thread which was complaining, rightly, that because tank damage scales from str, and str is unavailable on right side (past level 60), that over time tank threat scaling will fall behind that of dps. The people on the NA boards and discords are only concerned with DPS, and any threat concerns are pretty blatantly incidental. NA just wants to mongo smash while never swapping stances which was easy to do at the end of Heavensward, and is what the tanks changes with Stormblood are trying to address.

Malkav

French Madman
Tank style comparisons between HW and SB are more complicated than that because it totally depends on skill level of the group you are running with. In general you stance dance/CD intelligently MORE now than in HW, not the other way around. The tank threat changes were in response the huge Japanese thread which was complaining, rightly, that because tank damage scales from str, and str is unavailable on right side (past level 60), that over time tank threat scaling will fall behind that of dps. The people on the NA boards and discords are only concerned with DPS, and any threat concerns are pretty blatantly incidental. NA just wants to mongo smash while never swapping stances which was easy to do at the end of Heavensward, and is what the tanks changes with Stormblood are trying to address.

Yeah, reddit/official forums right now really are in "MUH DPS! TANKS ARE BORING NOW" mode.